Transmission Filter For Rx300

lenore

I just ordered a tranny filter for the RX300 and what they shipped in was the paper filter medium, not the screen one. Does anybody have a number for the older screen type filter. The one that came in had part number 35330-06010 and it was the paper type. Help I want the OE screen type but Lexus of Roseville only gets these now...

I just did some deep searching of receipts and found the ones before my tranny failure. The Old part number was 35330-21020 which Lexus when I called no longer carries, it was superseeded by the new filter with paper gasket.llll So does that mean they know they had a problem and they switched the filter medium.??? By the way the last change I did before the tranny failure was with the new style filter.....Oh boy....

Use the paper one to clean it up .

Take the old one and clean out the debris by soaking in varsol.

Add another exterior filter and your done when you add the screen back.

Personally the paper is much better , it just needs to be changed more often especially after first install.

I have had them for around 50k miles, plus I have the external filter (screw on filter). Things have been going fine, I just wish I had more time so I could do the cooler move to the front of the vehicle instead of inside the fender well.

I'm surveying all forum users: Do you buy transmission filters from the dealer?

What source are you all using to buy transmission filters? Have you found they fit, that you got the right or wrong filters?

How much did the filter cost?

I have a '99 RX300 2WD, but the original transmission was replaced under warrantee with a factory new replacement (not rebuilt) in late 2003 that the dealer said was of a more modern design than the rebuilt units at the time. I'm concerned that I might not get the right filter, or are the newer filters all compatible? After they moved from the screen to the paper filter media, is it all the same part number '99-'03?

P.S. I also added an additional cooler in the fender along with a 4" fan and a Hayden thermostat, and cut larger vent holes in the plastic fender liner. To keep the heat from venting back through the system, I did not move them in front of the radiator. Cheap insurance, I thought. I'm hoping this tranny will last longer than typical RX experience has shown. But this new one seems to be trouble-free. I never got that feeling from the original transmission due to the glitches it would exhibit, and how quickly it beat the fluid up.

I have bought from both the dealers (4times) and independent (2times) the filter is the same and no difference in quality. As for fit they fit perfect.

The very first filter I bought in 2001 was the wire mesh, but after that they were no longer available. Cost from the dealerships was $43 to 53.... the independent was $18

I just ordered a tranny filter for the RX300 and what they shipped in was the paper filter medium, not the screen one. Does anybody have a number for the older screen type filter. The one that came in had part number 35330-06010 and it was the paper type. Help I want the OE screen type but Lexus of Roseville only gets these now...

Hi Lenore- When I did all that work on my DIL's RX in '06 I ordered most all of the parts from a place online called Drivewire. They sell a lot of OEM parts that come in unmarked boxes (they are indeed OEM but can not put anything but the part# on the outside of the box. When I got the trans kit (gasket and filter) I opened the box and indeed it had the original screen filter. I just went to the site and they no longer are showing the screen filter (they show pictures) so it looks like possibly no one is making the screen filter any longer, unless somehow there is still an aftermarket manufacturer that is.

• 2 months later...
I have had them for around 50k miles, plus I have the external filter (screw on filter). Things have been going fine, I just wish I had more time so I could do the cooler move to the front of the vehicle instead of inside the fender well.

Lenore, what kind of external filter do you have, and where did you get it? Is in the cooling line? :)

this is what I installed, google it and find the best price...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRM-10678

The kit is easy to install, I mounted the filter on the left side of the car under the battery area down by the plastic access cover under the car. I did have to make a bracket to mount it. Others on the site have used inline filters, but mine works great. The lines next to the transmission were easy to hook up.....

The kit is easy to install, I mounted the filter on the left side of the car under the battery area down by the plastic access cover under the car. I did have to make a bracket to mount it. Others on the site have used inline filters, but mine works great. The lines next to the transmission were easy to hook up.....

Lenore, the site http://www.magauto.com/default.asp?id=2137...;catalogid=3408 gives Toyota Camry price for the 35330-0610 of $35. Do you have part number for the gasket?

Thank you.

Yes, but the mesh type is gone, at least here on the west coast, I ordered one and it came in as a paper element at the Lexus dealership. Just a note, the filter I installed (external) is huge, the size of a PH8 oil filter. Probably very little constriction and I have been running it for over 60k miles now...I change it when I do a fluid change and Hopefully it is doing some good.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to put one on my RX300. I guess mine still has the metal screen, as I have never taken the pan off, although I have changed the fluid. The dealer told me they don't drop the pan, they only do a flush for $200. :)

• 1 year later...

My '99 2WD was getting serviced today at the very local Toyota dealer. The very experienced and otherwise trustworthy service writer said he had never seen Toyota or Lexus that had a paper element. He said all he new of are wire mesh type that they clean and reinstall, and said I must have some odd aftermarket filter that would be hard to track down. So I didn't have the dealer service the transmission. But I remember that when I went to a trans shop, the mechanic showed me my original filter and it looked like a cotton fabric "paper" element, and made a point that it was not the mesh one the parts manual called for.

How do I know which filter to order?

'99 RX300 2WD, with a Kyushu factory brand-new transmission (from 2004).

Thanks folks...

I've NEVER heard of a dealer (Lexus or Toyota) dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter. They used to backflush the transmissions but now they just drain and fill. I'd be suspicious of this one - the mesh filters weren't available for several years, so I find it hard to believe that they have never seen one (that is, if they've ever even dropped the pan and looked)!

Keith