Expensive Brake Problem At 24,000 Miles

powergrower

I have an 07 gx with 24,000 miles on it. It is driven to an elementary school and back 6 miles each way, level ground, 4 stop signs. My wife drives very prudently. No other extensive driving. We felt a grinding noise and took the car in and the dealer said the right front brake pad had worn down to the point that it was metal to metal. The left brake pad needed to be replaced also but did not have the same problem. They want to replace both rotors and they said that 24,000 gently driven miles was about normal for brake pads and that I would probably have to replace them every 20K miles. They also said this is a heavy car/truck so that is the reason.

Well, I have a 1999 Land Cruiser that I drive a similar route but many more miles and I also drive freeway and I tow a trailer! I am a jackrabbit driver on this toyota, fast off the light and heavy on the brakes. I changed the front brakes 41,000 miles ago and still do not need to change them again.

I think there was a defect in this 07 and that the dealer is trying to shaft me. I do not drive the lexus.

Any suggestions?

I also had the 'clunk' and this dealer tried for months to say that it was normal because this is a truck. Finally they fixed it.

If you really want good life on brake pads, skip OEM...they just dont last long enough, skim your rotors and have Akebono ACT ceramic pads, wont cost you much, it been over 17,000 mile last replacement done And my LS400, is still going, I plan to replace on the GX as soon as the life is over.Believe me, they are just too good for any ride you name it. If you are under warranty. Your case, it is really strange, Maybe it is the ride as you said, makesure foot is off the pedal, even a slight depress would keep the brakes getting grinded to the slightest pretext of being safe of keeping the foot on the pedal. My GX I even tow my boat sledge, which is quite heavy, and I have never changed at such interval.

I think that unless your wife is riding the brakes, that needing replacement at 24k miles is abnormal. I had an 04 GX that I sold to a buddy of mine that had 53k miles on it. He now has about 65k miles on it and he's still on the original pads. When I sold it to him @ 53k miles, the pads weren't even 50% worn. I do about 50/50 city/highway...

Jim