Rear Power Sunshade On Es330 / 2004

nkm

I just bought used 2004 ES330. Everything works great except the sunshade that will not roll up. Does anyone know where to start on troubleshoot this problem. Is it possible fuse issue. If so, which one is the fuse for the power sunshade? Is it power or motor issue. If so, where is the motor located for this sunshade in the rear. Thank you

nkm,

The motor to drive the rear shade will be in the trunk under the parcel shelf and attached to the power shade. I've never had reason to check the one out on my wife's car but it makes sense that it will be located there. I would start first by checking the switch itself in the centre console. Chances are that the previous owner has spilled a drink on it and it needs cleaning. Rather than try pulling it from the console (and possibly scratching the console) get some electrical contact cleaner in a spray bomb from Radio Shack or similar, and spray a liberal amount into the top of the switch, and then cycle the switch many times. Be sure to wipe off the excess from the console quickly, and then wait for the cleaner in the switch to evaporate before turning on the ignition and trying to power up the shade. If after two or three applications this doesn't do the trick, you may have to remove the switch from the console and either change it out, or open it up and give it an interior cleaning. The second thing to try would be to try powering the shade from a separate 12 volt car battery while right in the trunk. Climb into the trunk, locate the shade's wiring harness, disconnect it, and try applying 12 volts to its various connectors. If the shade doesn't move, you have several decisions to make: replace it (very expensive I'll bet, or just leave it alone and live with it). If the shade powers up, then you have a wiring problem to the centre console switch or to power or ground. You might try seeing if any of your fuses are blown. Lastly, the wiring for this system is connected to the transmission. For instance, if the rear shade is up and you put the car into reverse, the shade will power down and stay down until you use the switch to put it up again. Its considered a safety item to be down when you are backing up for visibility. You will find that either in the console attached to the gear shift, or on the transmission itself will be a reverse switch tied into the power shade's circuit, and this contact may well be corroded, broken or has come disconnected. You have some sleuthing to do to get to the bottom of your problem. Hope this was more help than frightening. Good Luck!