Extended Warranty Coverage - Key

txsp

I have a 2004 RX with about 65K miles on it. I had purchased the extended warranty from the dealer (7yr, 100K) before the RX ran out of the regular warranty.

One of my keys has the plastic shell cracked, and is currently behing held together with 3M tape. I took my car for the 65K service today and the service manager told me that while the key is covered in warranty if it does not work, the plastic shell itself is not covered and that it will take $90 to replace.

I wanted to find out if anyone on this forum knows if the plastic key fob itself is covered in the extended warranty or not.

txsp

• 5 weeks later...

The shell on one of my keys cracked on my 04 RX. I took it to the dealer & they replaced it @ no charge. Popped the screw out of the shell, then took the unit with the bottons out & popped it back into the new shell.

Don't know if it should have been covered by the warranty, because the service mgr @ my dealer (Covington, KY) is awesome & takes care of nearly everything with no questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
The shell on one of my keys cracked on my 04 RX. I took it to the dealer & they replaced it @ no charge. Popped the screw out of the shell, then took the unit with the bottons out & popped it back into the new shell.

Don't know if it should have been covered by the warranty, because the service mgr @ my dealer (Covington, KY) is awesome & takes care of nearly everything with no questions.

The dealership in Plano actually replaced the broken key fob for free (after initially trying to sell it for $90).

• 2 months later...