Lexus Suv, What Can I Get? (please Read)

DMXHood

Hello everyone, I have been driving a Crown Victoria for a little over a year now, the Crown Vic is dying now and I was looking around to purchase, not lease or rent or whatever, purchase a new SUV. I love SUVs, most of the people around me have them and it just set my mind to purchase one myself.

For a while i have been pondering in my head what SUV should i buy? I have been looking and I just haven't found ONE SUV that i said AHHH thats for ME! ...well I found one SUV the other day that i fell in love with. RX 300/330. I loved the way it looks and i hear its a great car. I didn't get the chance to drive one just yet though. I will hopefully in the upcoming days. Anyways I was googling around the price range and it fits in for me, i find some for around 8 to 10Gs. Which is what I am willing to spend on a new car such as this one. There is one downfall :( While looking around i noticed that all the 300/330's are V6 engines and not V8. I drove alot of V6's and i cant get used to them, I am way to used to the power of a V8 since all the cars i drive are V8.

Can someone please reply and give in some feed back? Id like to know if the RX300 V6 is as powerful as V8 (If you can feel a diff) and also Id love to know if we can find a V8 RX300. If not, what is a good SUV we can find for the price range of $10,000 USD. MAX i am willing to spend that has V8.

Thanks for you're time.

Hello everyone, I have been driving a Crown Victoria for a little over a year now, the Crown Vic is dying now and I was looking around to purchase, not lease or rent or whatever, purchase a new SUV. I love SUVs, most of the people around me have them and it just set my mind to purchase one myself.

For a while i have been pondering in my head what SUV should i buy? I have been looking and I just haven't found ONE SUV that i said AHHH thats for ME! ...well I found one SUV the other day that i fell in love with. RX 300/330. I loved the way it looks and i hear its a great car. I didn't get the chance to drive one just yet though. I will hopefully in the upcoming days. Anyways I was googling around the price range and it fits in for me, i find some for around 8 to 10Gs. Which is what I am willing to spend on a new car such as this one. There is one downfall :( While looking around i noticed that all the 300/330's are V6 engines and not V8. I drove alot of V6's and i cant get used to them, I am way to used to the power of a V8 since all the cars i drive are V8.

Can someone please reply and give in some feed back? Id like to know if the RX300 V6 is as powerful as V8 (If you can feel a diff) and also Id love to know if we can find a V8 RX300. If not, what is a good SUV we can find for the price range of $10,000 USD. MAX i am willing to spend that has V8.

Thanks for you're time.

Troll.

Whats a good car thats lexus, suv and v8? AND around 10 grand or less

older LX maybe? For 10k you're not going to get a V8 Lexus suv that'll be newer than late 90's...

Why are you insisting on V8?? That i cannot understand at all. The Lexus V6 in their SUV's produce more power than many competitors V8's.

Sorry to tell you, but the fastest lexus SUV is the newer Rx which is V6... The GX and LX are SLOW...

Assuming this is a real question looking for information...

I have owned 3 RX's...a 99 RX300, an 03 RX300, and now a 06 RX400h.

If power is important for you, I would recommend an RX330/350 over the RX300. While the 300 is no slouch, the 330 has a lil more pep, and the styling is a lil more current. If you want some real power, get the RX400h in AWD. The 400h is a screamer.

However, I think that you will be hard-pressed to find a nice RX of any flavor for under 10k USD. I recently sold a 2003 RX300 AWD with 70k miles and Nav for 15k in a weekend. You might be able to get a high-mileage FWD RX300 in your price range. Good Luck...

~Brian

PS Who actually puts USD after a dollar figure ($10k USD) other than a Nigerian 419 scammer?

Trust me the V6 engine in the RX is plenty of power for most, when you say you need/ want the power a V8 provides, well you said you used to have a Crown Victoria which I know has a V8 but its a horrible V8 and hideously slow for a V8 sense the car weights as much as a 747, All I got to say is the RX should be fine as far has a SUV.

You can get a 2000 Mercedes Benz ML430 this has a v8 for less than 10k. Lots of power.

• 1 month later...

The V6 is juicy. It doesnt have that nice happy sound of a v8 but it will really haul if you want it to. I think the Variable Valve Timing has a lot to do with it. Be cautious if youre buying a higher mileage RX though. The trannys are notorious for dying, and around 100K seems to be the life expectancy. When you test drive it, listen for a high pitch whirrr. Whirr is bad.

The V6 is juicy. It doesnt have that nice happy sound of a v8 but it will really haul if you want it to. I think the Variable Valve Timing has a lot to do with it. Be cautious if youre buying a higher mileage RX though. The trannys are notorious for dying, and around 100K seems to be the life expectancy. When you test drive it, listen for a high pitch whirrr. Whirr is bad.

Is the tranny a major problem? And if so how expensive is to replace it? I am thinking of buying a 1999 RX300 and for my budget, I can only get something over 100kms anyway.

Is the tranny a major problem? And if so how expensive is to replace it? I am thinking of buying a 1999 RX300 and for my budget, I can only get something over 100kms anyway.

Be very careful with any of the RX models that are included in the class action settlement for sludge damage. This includes the RX 300s from 1997 to 2002. So, if you're considering a 1999 model, find out first if the engine has a sludge problem. Based on my experience with this vehicle, I'd stay as far away from it as possible. Every repair bill through the dealer over the years has been at least $1,000!

I don't want to start a discussion on transmission reliability, so just put "RX300 transmission failure" into any search engine such as google and prepare to be amazed. Or use the search function of this forum and search on "transmission failure". Then you can come to your own conculsion.

As far as cost goes, I think $3400. is about the average rebuild price, which is what I paid. Lexus wanted $6,000. to install a rebuilt trans.

I don't want to start a discussion on transmission reliability, so just put "RX300 transmission failure" into any search engine such as google and prepare to be amazed. Or use the search function of this forum and search on "transmission failure". Then you can come to your own conculsion.

As far as cost goes, I think $3400. is about the average rebuild price, which is what I paid. Lexus wanted $6,000. to install a rebuilt trans.

Goodness...that is a bunch of money.

Yea, sadly mikey is right, there is too much info on the RX300 tranny failures. You are better putting that money against something else...2004 RX and up or even something else entirely if that is out of your price-range. :(