Hi:

I have a 1996 LS with 96K miles on it. recently I had the following done:

Timing belt

Water pump

front seals

Belts

tramsmission oil change

radiator fluid change

What else do I need to do to keep my car running. I plan to keep it for as long as I could.

Can some one please point me to the service intervals from lexus? My book does not have it.

Thanks

M Khan

i would suggest having your valves adjusted. your car probly has a slight tick because the oil doesn't lube the last two valves on the drivers side very well. if you checked them they might be out of spec. easy to check difficult to figure out. while you are in there you wanna change the valve cover gaskets also. you can find the valve adjustment instructions on lextreme.com and the valve cover tutorial on lexls.com

A little of my advice, take it for what it's worth.

Adjusting valves are not a recommended 100,000 mile service. I wouldn't take advice from anyone who suggests that you adjust your valves without that person:

1. Listening to your engine in person,

2. Asking even a single diagnostic question,

3. Even seeing your car,

4. Not even knowing what color your car is, and

5. Not even being in the same state as your car.

If you search these forums, I bet you'll be able to find the maintenance schedule. Otherwise, I have a '97 & I'll provide one for you.

Hi:

I have a 1996 LS with 96K miles on it. recently I had the following done:

Timing belt

Water pump

front seals

Belts

tramsmission oil change

radiator fluid change

What else do I need to do to keep my car running. I plan to keep it for as long as I could.

Can some one please point me to the service intervals from lexus? My book does not have it.

Thanks

M Khan

You hit most of it on the head! At 90k Miles the timing belt, and tranny service are recommended!! Doing the water pump, seals, belts are good to and thats what I am going to do as well!! Its better to knock all of that out well you got it apart. also I would do new radiator hoses with the new radiator fluid, as well as a new thermostat. New air filter, PCV valve. New spark plugs, And service the differential as well. With all this done you should be good for another 90k-100k more miles, Of course your routine oil changes at every 3k and your tranny service every 30k or less. And maybe brakes??

OK....I get a kick out of the term "radiator fluid". Most of us just call it coolant. ;)

In addition to what you have mentioned (and I am pretty sure that the idea came from a thread on this board), replacing the PCV valve grommet is a good idea. The old one starts getting pretty brittle and doesn't provide as good of a seal with the valve. Be careful when removing the old one so that you don't lose any pieces into the valve cover.

Brake fluid is called for every 30K miles in my owner's manual supplement.

Replace a/c (cabin) air filter.