Clanky Sounding Engine

waymay1305

Is it normal that when I start my 08 ES 350 the engine seems to sound very clanky or almost like a diesel engine for lack of a better way to describe it. Well, maybe not as load as a diesel engine but very different from what I think it should sound. This seems to smooth out after a few minutes. I've noticed this since the weather has gotten colder (I live in Dallas). When I took it to the dealer, they say this is normal and there is nothing wrong. A service advisor says it probably sounds this way because the oil hasn't had time to go throughout the system. They say they compared my car to another vehicle and didn't hear any difference. Are they feeding me a boatload of crap? I like everything about the car with this one exception.

Do a search on this subject on this model. You will find a lot of information on it, but do know that it is "normal" in that it happens to all ES350's. There are at least 3 explanations ranging from "piston slap", to a louder than usual engine due to it being chain drive as opposed to belt drive. But everybody agrees to engine temperature being the main cause and then going away when it reaches regular operational temps.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with AZ08, I currently go to Campbell University and am forced to park my ES outside of my apartment all day every day, but when I go to class and it's cold, just as it gets in the winter months, the engine is "clanky" when you drive off and stays that way till you build up a little heat in the engine. I've found it better to actually let the car warm up a bit anyways before you go take it for a drive, when it's really really cold of course!

I have a one year old 08 es350 whose engine makes a "clicking" noise when it is cold and which subsides when the engine heats up. I have complained about it every time I have brought the car in for service. The most recent service advisor that I had claimed to be a former technician and claimed to be familiar with the noise. I am going to paraphrase what he told me because I didn't completely understand what he said. He claimed that the design of the fuel injection system was changed in the 07 and 08 models so that when the engine is cold the fuel injectors work differently than when the engine is warm and they vibrate excessively when cold which is what causes the noise we hear. I'm not familiar with what fuel injectors look like or how they work so I don't know whether this explanation is plausible. The reason I am so skeptical is that the noise sounds very similar to a valve tap or to what has been described as piston slap. I hope that it is not indicative of some condition that is harmful to the engine. To be safe I have not pushed the engine above 2k rpm until the noise subsides. I wish Toyota would come out with a bulletin about this noise because it seems to be fairly common.

• 3 months later...

Good Day Gentlemen, I also have been hearing the same noise on my es350 and have heard quite the wide range of explanations as to what it could be but with no clear answer. Does anyone know if this is the same vvti issue as with the IS series?

• 3 weeks later...
Good Day Gentlemen, I also have been hearing the same noise on my es350 and have heard quite the wide range of explanations as to what it could be but with no clear answer. Does anyone know if this is the same vvti issue as with the IS series?

my 2008 does the same thing, as soon as the oil gets up in the heads it quiets down