Almost Ready To Pull The Trigger On A 99 Gs 300 With 80,000 Miles But

Hey all...

I found Pearl White 1999 Lexus GS300 in damn good condition with only 80,000 miles on it! The owner wants $12,000 for it and I'm not sure if this is worth it or not... I have looked up values for it, but can't tell what is best price for it based on these as there are a lot of variables...

Also, is there any common problems with these models that are a big turn off??? I almost bought an Acura TL 99 about 6 months ago and I'm glad I did not because those cars are notorious for blowing transmissions.. I'm sure hoping these cars don't have any problems like that. The timing belt + water pump should be done soon as well I would imagine....

I'm just not sure if this is a great deal or if I'm getting "stiffed" as I don't know anything about these cars... I just want a "fair" price for myself and the seller since the car looks great... I always get nervous buying used cards too cause I always wonder why they are selling if it is such an awesome car as they make it out to be...

Not sure...

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.! Thanks again guys! :)

Hey all...

I found Pearl White 1999 Lexus GS300 in damn good condition with only 80,000 miles on it! The owner wants $12,000 for it and I'm not sure if this is worth it or not... I have looked up values for it, but can't tell what is best price for it based on these as there are a lot of variables...

Also, is there any common problems with these models that are a big turn off??? I almost bought an Acura TL 99 about 6 months ago and I'm glad I did not because those cars are notorious for blowing transmissions.. I'm sure hoping these cars don't have any problems like that. The timing belt + water pump should be done soon as well I would imagine....

I'm just not sure if this is a great deal or if I'm getting "stiffed" as I don't know anything about these cars... I just want a "fair" price for myself and the seller since the car looks great... I always get nervous buying used cards too cause I always wonder why they are selling if it is such an awesome car as they make it out to be...

Not sure...

I hope it has every option including navigation.....Because hes about $4,000-$5,000 above Kelly Blue Book Value!!

My suggestion is when you book a vehicle you need to consider condition inside/out. What options are included Nav, Spoiler, Uprgraded wheels etc. How it runs, How many owners, And what maintainence has been done!! $12,000 is what my 2001 GS430 Blue Books for. Keep in mind also he may be booking it at "Retail", And he has to book it at "Private Party"! Hes not a dealer, and unless hes offering you a warranty he cant ask what hes asking PERIOD!!!!!!! So at $12,000 that sounds like Retail......

As far as reliability and longevity these cars are built for just that!! Its not a BMW or MERCEDES. But prices for parts can be above average but it is a LEXUS, and overall from what im seeing they can run over 300,000 miles with ease as long as there kept maintained!! And yes I believe the timing belt and usual maintainence needs to be done at this mileage....Unless the current owner has addressed everything!?????

Again the values im getting on KBB.COM are as follows:( "FAIR" $7,075 / "GOOD" $7,850 / "EXCELLENT" $8,475 )

And rarely does a car fall under excellent condition!! But go ahead and do some research you will rarely find a Lexus owner that is unhappy with their vehicle, And on a scale of 1-10 I see the average being 10 as far as quality Not many complaints about these cars that ive seen (lexus gs)!!

Hope I helped!! Good Luck

Hey all...

Not sure...

I hope it has every option including navigation.....Because hes about $4,000-$5,000 above Kelly Blue Book Value!!

My suggestion is when you book a vehicle you need to consider condition inside/out. What options are included Nav, Spoiler, Uprgraded wheels etc. How it runs, How many owners, And what maintainence has been done!! $12,000 is what my 2001 GS430 Blue Books for. Keep in mind also he may be booking it at "Retail", And he has to book it at "Private Party"! Hes not a dealer, and unless hes offering you a warranty he cant ask what hes asking PERIOD!!!!!!! So at $12,000 that sounds like Retail......

As far as reliability and longevity these cars are built for just that!! Its not a BMW or MERCEDES. But prices for parts can be above average but it is a LEXUS, and overall from what im seeing they can run over 300,000 miles with ease as long as there kept maintained!! And yes I believe the timing belt and usual maintainence needs to be done at this mileage....Unless the current owner has addressed everything!?????

Again the values im getting on KBB.COM are as follows:( "FAIR" $7,075 / "GOOD" $7,850 / "EXCELLENT" $8,475 )

And rarely does a car fall under excellent condition!! But go ahead and do some research you will rarely find a Lexus owner that is unhappy with their vehicle, And on a scale of 1-10 I see the average being 10 as far as quality Not many complaints about these cars that ive seen (lexus gs)!!

Hope I helped!! Good Luck

minor major problems....biggest one is ball joints NEED to be changed at 100k but can go out again...just a design flaw on the 2nd gen! i do agree with midnight....dont pay 12k for a 1998. u can get a 2001-2003 gs 300 or 430 for bout that price. maybe a tad more.

dammit......i thought u were wrong bout your gs430 retails for....so i kbb.com it....when i bought my car last sep, my car had a kbb of 23k on it....PLUS IT ONLY HAD 70,000 miles on it. now it has 97,000 miles on it and a kbb $13,010 how lame is that....before this dumb gas crunch my car was worth a ton....oh well boo hoo i aimed to keep her till she fell apart neways! but that still sucks!

http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc_b/vdp.jsp?ct=u...amp;cardist=479

i would buy a example like that if u can afford the difference in price....if i it had a nav i would jump all over it. ALSO look at pic 25....look what band he has on his radio! hahahaha

if you could get him down on the price some this is a good find also

http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc_b/vdp.jsp?ct=u...amp;cardist=318

or u could come play with the big boys and get a GS430 with a v8 for dirt since no1 wants one nemore since they gas fiends lol (they really not that bad)

if u could get him down to 17k i would JUMP on this if u can afford it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...%3A1|240%3A1308

another good deal, buy this one and TRADE ME the interior lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...%3A1|240%3A1308

hell this one just needs a interior detail and maybe a good buff/wax

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...%3A1|240%3A1318

or get this and sell those HIDEOUS rims....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...%3A1|240%3A1318

AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU GET, PLEASE DONT DO THIS TO YOUR LEXUS AND TRUST ME THIS ISNT THE WORST http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...%3A1|240%3A1318

Yep thats the way it goes unfortunately since we dont own lambos or ferraris values just depreciate!! Its also a combination of the mileage and year of the car when considering book value! Mileage takes the biggest hit also when new models get released and so fourth. As far as gas maybe a slight hit, But SUV's took the biggest hit. Ive been used to getting around 12MPG in my Yukon, So getting close to 20mpg is a nice change!!

But anyway good luck with your purchase legend11 and always make sure you get book value on the car, and dont forget to take it to get a pre-purchase inspection!! Theres only so much you can see with the naked eye as far as the mechanics of the vehicle. Also a Carfax wouldnt hurt either!!!!!!

Take Care.

Hey all...

Not sure...

Yes legend11, you need to bring your seller up to speed on the latest Blue Book prices. In just the last 12 months the Private Party selling price of the car in question has fallen by about $3,500. Sad for the seller but very good news for you. All used car prices have depreciated at an accelerated rate due to the deals available on new cars because of the slowdown in the economy.

Yep thats the way it goes unfortunately since we dont own lambos or ferraris values just depreciate!! Its also a combination of the mileage and year of the car when considering book value! Mileage takes the biggest hit also when new models get released and so fourth. As far as gas maybe a slight hit, But SUV's took the biggest hit. Ive been used to getting around 12MPG in my Yukon, So getting close to 20mpg is a nice change!!

But anyway good luck with your purchase legend11 and always make sure you get book value on the car, and dont forget to take it to get a pre-purchase inspection!! Theres only so much you can see with the naked eye as far as the mechanics of the vehicle. Also a Carfax wouldnt hurt either!!!!!!

Take Care.

yeah when i bought the car it had almost 72k on it....im closing in on a 100k soon (im at 98k right now) yes i drive alot, yes i travel, yes i love my car.....i knew it would take a depreciation but cause of the stupid gas shortage it took like a 13k price drop! BOO HOO

um are you saying you get 20 mpg CITY on the gs430? so your claiming to get 2 mpg HIGHER than the factory 18 city they claim?i would say its possible but VERY unlikely,most the gs300's BARELY see 20 city so sorry brother on this one i'm gonna call shenanigans (you'll know where and what i ripped that off from, if ne1 besides me gets the joke)! i have NEVER seen better than 16 city although i have actually gotten the 23 highway they claim.

Take Care.

yeah when i bought the car it had almost 72k on it....im closing in on a 100k soon (im at 98k right now) yes i drive alot, yes i travel, yes i love my car.....i knew it would take a depreciation but cause of the stupid gas shortage it took like a 13k price drop! BOO HOO

um are you saying you get 20 mpg CITY on the gs430? so your claiming to get 2 mpg HIGHER than the factory 18 city they claim?i would say its possible but VERY unlikely,most the gs300's BARELY see 20 city so sorry brother on this one i'm gonna call shenanigans (you'll know where and what i ripped that off from, if ne1 besides me gets the joke)! i have NEVER seen better than 16 city although i have actually gotten the 23 highway they claim.

Yep I know where!! But I did say "CLOSE" Give or take 5mpg! LOL Who knows???????????????????? But Honestly I dont know the exact number, And truthfully I dont care! All I know is the gas mileage is very good when compared to what im used to in my Yukon, a full tank in that beast will maybe last 4 days at best!!!!

So I know the mileage isnt bad at all for what it is. Considering the Yukon gets 12MPG City and less!!! And 16MPG Highway (estimated)!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO realistically im closer to 10MPG in the Yukon. When you can drive across town and see the needle moving right before your eyes thats a hog!! So the Lexus is very economical to me!! :D

Yep I know where!! But I did say "CLOSE" Give or take 5mpg! LOL Who knows???????????????????? But Honestly I dont know the exact number, And truthfully I dont care! All I know is the gas mileage is very good when compared to what im used to in my Yukon, a full tank in that beast will maybe last 4 days at best!!!!

So I know the mileage isnt bad at all for what it is. Considering the Yukon gets 12MPG City and less!!! And 16MPG Highway (estimated)!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO realistically im closer to 10MPG in the Yukon. When you can drive across town and see the needle moving right before your eyes thats a hog!! So the Lexus is very economical to me!! :D

5 mpg isnt close though! what i wouldnt do for 5 more mpg. lol but i gotcha. see im coming from a es300 lexus and i actually got DECENT mileage outta that thing. some1 tell me y i sold it to my pops again?

5 mpg isnt close though! what i wouldnt do for 5 more mpg. lol but i gotcha. see im coming from a es300 lexus and i actually got DECENT mileage outta that thing. some1 tell me y i sold it to my pops again?

See lol when you go from 10-12mpg to the Lex its very noticeble. And as far as the ES300 I fell in love the first time I drove an 01' there nice cars, But damn nothing compares to the GS!! And ive always loved the look of the GS more than any other model. Beautiful car with plenty of features! And you get the best of both worlds = Luxury, and performance you really cant complain!! As far as gas mileage well thats the price you pay to drive a car like this......Cant forget about what insurance costs on these bad boys also :P

See lol when you go from 10-12mpg to the Lex its very noticeble. And as far as the ES300 I fell in love the first time I drove an 01' there nice cars, But damn nothing compares to the GS!! And ive always loved the look of the GS more than any other model. Beautiful car with plenty of features! And you get the best of both worlds = Luxury, and performance you really cant complain!! As far as gas mileage well thats the price you pay to drive a car like this......Cant forget about what insurance costs on these bad boys also :P

yeah i know what u mean. insurance varies but really depends more on the driver.....im paying right at 100 a month with full coverage. but keep in mind i have a awful driving record...even though most of it starting to roll of

I bought mine last year and I thought I got a pretty good deal. It is a 2000 GS300 in excellent condition from the second owner that bought it Lexus Certified pre owned. It had 91,000 and she claimed she know nothing of the recommended Timing Belt replacement at 90K. I called Lexus, they wanted $1000-$1500 for the service. I used that as a bargaining point and got her down from $13k to $11250. I thought that was fair, and $18.00 for the belt at Autozone and a little labor and it had a new timing belt.

The check engine light came on, the code read gas cap or gas cap gasket, changed both...still have the light. It seems the charcoal canister may have liquid fuel in it. I haven't gotten around to addressing it, and the threads I have found indicate this is common and another design flaw. The canister just isn't mounted high enough and gets fuel in it if you top it off too much. Apparently the fix is to R&R the charcoal canister and that seems to be around a $400-600 dollar part. It isn't affecting anything so it is low on my priority list (but I would like to clear the check engine light.)

As it turns out, I looked at the PO's receipts and she took it in a couple of times for this same problem. Which explains why she quickly cleared the receipts out of the glove box after she sold the car to me. I went back immediately when I noticed she took them, and asked for them. Now I know why she tried to clear them out. My guess is She cleared the code and then it stays out for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Unfortunately when you clear the code, it is gone from memory, so there is no way to see it with a code reader. So you should ask directly if this car has had this problem. I still love the car, but have been experiencing a back fire through the intake and suspect it is the MAF from what I've found so far. Car still drives great, just back fires on take off every once in a while. Trying to go easy on it till I trouble shoot that one.

Sorry for the length, but you did ask!! Good luck with your purchase!

Hey all...

Not sure...