No Cat Converters?

sugareaterlb

On these car post-cat O2 sensors are used to confirm converter operation. If you remove the cats, those O2's will pop a code.

And just what is the point of removing the converters? They cause no real loss of power, and these engines are extremely clean when functioning properly. Just because you don't have emission laws, does that mean pollution where you are is OK?

If the convertors are working properly now, let them continue to do so. Otherwise just buy an old Mustang and knock yourself out.

Are you trying to gain Horse power in a cheap way?Cutting your cats is not a good way to do it. Just buy some HI flow CATS to replace your old ones. Anyway if you want to cut something off on your exhaust system cut the resonators off. They are right before your mufflers. And you will see better gas mileage and a small gain in horse power.

Are you trying to gain Horse power in a cheap way?Cutting your cats is not a good way to do it. Just buy some HI flow CATS to replace your old ones. Anyway if you want to cut something off on your exhaust system cut the resonators off. They are right before your mufflers. And you will see better gas mileage and a small gain in horse power.

any change in the sound? better or worse? B) is there a write up or a step by step on this?? i wouldnt want anything on a car that was useless.

Is it possible to cut the front cats off and have regular pipes in their place? Where I live, emmissions isn't required

not worth it at all, the OEM Lexus cats on the LS400 are of Metal Substrate construction, which is EXTREMELY expensive to produce and also the highest flowing type. this is why the OEM cats are so damn expensive. new OEM LS cats will match or outflow most similar diameter "High Flow" cats.

Cutting out the resonators doesn't change the sound of the car much. LS400's for some reason just not a very loud car when you add mods. Unless you do a larger full exhaust system. When I cut my resonators on my 96' 400 it sounded really nice. Not loud at all. It was a heavier low sound. Kinda like a old school car but way smoother and you can only hear the sound when you push the gas. Other than that. You wouldn't even be able to tell the change in sound at cruise speed or when you're parked. I have an air intake system, Cut the resonators off, and racing JDM 3 1/2'' mufflers on my LS400. And my car is not loud at all.

Same here. I've got 2 1/4" pipes, Magnaflow X-pipe, 2 trush magnum resonators, and 2 mufflers.

Sounds phenomenal. Close to IS-F maybe?? hahahaha

I need to get more vids now that the system has had time to break in....

Same here. I've got 2 1/4" pipes, Magnaflow X-pipe, 2 trush magnum resonators, and 2 mufflers.

Sounds phenomenal. Close to IS-F maybe?? hahahaha

I need to get more vids now that the system has had time to break in....

So we all agree that the LS cats are high flowing and expensive and bypassing/cutting them out will only put you at a loss, and straight piping the resonators for a deeper sound and less wieght on the vehicle is more cost-effective (on a budget for someone like me) :P. Im glad the LS is a nice quiet car, and im sure the careful engineering of the exhaust ports and headers are a big part of that reason. it just makes it easier to {quietly} pass by someone if you like the concept of quiet thunder, it just makes it seem like your car isnt even breathing hard to pass someone up. i would like to make my LS as silent and quick as possible - even though i love to hear the slight WOT noise when you punch it!!

But you guys go ahead and load up the Vids and sound bytes of your Modded LS's for those who like to be heard, and see who sounds the baddest!, and i might change my mind about it.

Im glad the LS is a nice quiet car, and im sure the careful engineering of the exhaust ports and headers are a big part of that reason. it just makes it easier to {quietly} pass by someone if you like the concept of quiet thunder, it just makes it seem like your car isnt even breathing hard to pass someone up. i would like to make my LS as silent and quick as possible

I remember reading a review of the Maybach when it first came out, describing it's 0 - 60 & quarter stats. Went something like this: "phenomenal power and acceleration for this tank of a car in virtual silence". Kind of erie when compared with what I'm used to for wot, but strangely attractive and enticing as "new world tech". In the future, electric cars are going to place consumers heads in novel positions. Space may not be the final frontier after all!

In the future, electric cars are going to place consumers heads in novel positions. Space may not be the final frontier after all!

..part of it has arrived my friend...

http://www.teslamotors.com/

now put this powertrain in a lightweight luxury sedan, and im sold..

I've got some pics I'll be posting soon. 0 to 60 in 3.9 sec and 244 mile range per charge! So what is this revolutionary Volt supposed to offer? GM, here's my advice - ya snooze, ya looze!

:cheers:

you forgot to add how it takes ~6 hours to recharge.

Exactly right. Until a battery is developed that weighs 150 pounds when fully charged, nothing when discharged, and gives a range of 400 miles and takes two minutes to recharge fully, the electric car is waste of time. That movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" makes Michael Moore look like Einstein. And I think Moore is an idiot, on the same level as Al Gore.

I understand the technical reasons for the failure of the electric car were defined some years ago - by Sir Isaac Newton.....

you forgot to add how it takes ~6 hours to recharge.

Exactly right. Until a battery is developed that weighs 150 pounds when fully charged, nothing when discharged, and gives a range of 400 miles and takes two minutes to recharge fully, the electric car is waste of time. That movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" makes Michael Moore look like Einstein. And I think Moore is an idiot, on the same level as Al Gore.

I understand the technical reasons for the failure of the electric car were defined some years ago - by Sir Isaac Newton.....

assuming by battery you mean a substance/object that stores energy potential;

we already have that, it's called gasoline.

assuming by battery you mean a substance/object that stores energy potential;

we already have that, it's called gasoline.

You're right again! That was my way of stating how efficient gasoline is.