New Guy With A Question!

hello, names colin and ive got a 1995 white sc400 hardtop with 134k.

recently developed a stuttering problem during acceleration and the check engine light went off. light only goes on when at idle and when im off the gas, it turns off when i start accelerating. slight stuttering and loss of power from about 1k - 2k.

pulled the code and it was "DCT: 31 - Vaf circuit"

tried cleaning the maf with plastic friendly maf cleaner, reset the ecu and disconnected the batter. problem still persists and the cel still acts the same.

do i need to just change the entire sensor? ive read that 95s had a problem with maf malfunctions....

any help appreciated.

recently developed a stuttering problem during acceleration and the check engine light went off. light only goes on when at idle and when im off the gas, it turns off when i start accelerating. slight stuttering and loss of power from about 1k - 2k.

tried cleaning the maf with plastic friendly maf cleaner, reset the ecu and disconnected the batter. problem still persists and the cel still acts the same.

do i need to just change the entire sensor? ive read that 95s had a problem with maf malfunctions....

any help appreciated.

any help appreciated.

I'm sure this will not help you much, but just an interesting comparison. I have a reader for cars newer than 1996 and my 1997 Porche Boxter just had an 18xx code come up. I read up online and found that it is usually the MAF sensor. They said in the Porche forum that have heard of no one who could clean it and get it to work. But I tried anyway, to no avail. So, I bought a new one online for $180 and installed in 5 minutes. Problem solved. Porche dealer charge would have been $500 for part and I'm sure total of $1000 before I got out of there. But here is why your comment really interests me.

I have a 1993 SC300 that has about 265k on it. It was running great, but sprung a transmission leak in radiator return. So, I bought a new radiator. While I was at it I figured I would just do some minor things. I changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap, a few heater hoses, and most vacum hoses. Not a lot of effort, but I made one very crucial mistake. I had to remove the throttle body to get to a couple of the plugs. Rather than unwiring the throttle idle sensor, I took it off. Big mistake. I've tried everything, including a spec tune on the throttle body. It still spits and sputters, but sometimes runs.

Now that you bring up the MAF and since I had that problem with the Porche....the problem seems very similar in action. I may need to take a look at that or break down and get a reader that handles vehicles older than a 96 ;)

I know this does not help much, but on the Porche site they said they know of no one who could clean the MAF and I concur with that statement as far as the porche goes.

yeah dont buy a new one its like 1400 bucks...anyways i just replaced my MAF on my SC400. its a 93 with 156k on it...yeah i bought one from ebay for 170 and it worked beautifully. but you have to be careful of who you buy it from cause i bought one and it didnt work and i had to eat the $...i had to buy another one so good luck to you !

• 2 months later...

Had the same problems, replaced MAF, tuned up.....etc....etc....the problem is the Idle Air Control Valve....located on the front of your engine, you'll have to take it off the engine and clean it out and make sure it is working smoothly before putting back in engine. Once done you'll have smooth idle and no more bucking....good luck