2003 Es300 Engine Knock

Concord

2003 Lexus ES300, 60,000 miles, oil changed religiously, OEM filters. Started car after it had been sitting for 3 days and heard terrible knocking sound. After a few moments it silenced. Oil level is fine. Car ran normally and I didn't hear it again. Now 2 weeks later car was again not started for a few days and sure enough knocking sound at start up.. Has anyone else experienced this? Its like oil starvation somewhere.

C'mon SteveJ Help me out;-)

so it knocks but once it warms up it runs fine?

I hope its not the dreaded sludge issue....

Yeah, after it sits for more than a couple of days it knocks when cold and then stops. If it sits for say 12 hours no noise on cold start.

Sludge issue? Oil changed every 3,000 so I sure hope not.

Toyota extended the warranty on these engines... have them take a look...

Castrol GTX 5W-30 it's whole life. Toyota extended the warranty on the 2003 V6's?. I thought it was earlier years.

This noise almost seems to be piston slap. What's odd is that I would think a piston slap issue would be there since day 1.

A few years ago, Denso changed manufacturing of their filters. I don't know if the newer style Denso filters have anti-drain back valves. I do know Mobil 1 and K&N do. Start small and easy first by changing just the oil filter to one that has an anti drain back valve . . . Mobil 1 filter (M1-102) or the K&N Gold (HP-1002). You don't have to change the oil, just let the engine sit, swap out the filter, all of the oil will be in the pan so you will only loose what is in the current filter. Put on a new filter, get and check it as you would over an extended period to see if just by changing the filter brand eliminates the noise. You brief description sounds as if there is oil drainage from the top end of the vehicle. When you start the car, does the oil pressure and oil level indicatator lights go out immediately or do they take a few seconds? I would expect other issues and symptoms to present before this kind of noise if it were truely sludge.

Is this recent or has it happened in the past? I am also wondering if it is a temperature related issue. There is a TSB for the 2006-2008 GS because it makes a terrible noise upon cold start up. Mine has not done it, knock wood, but I have heard recordings of the sound. It is actually cam gear related but complaints are similar to what you describe.

If the oil filter change does not work, post up, I have more suggestions. When you do start it up, have someone else to the starting, you stand by the front wheel on the passenger side. When the car is started, see if you can pinpoint the noise (if it is made). Is it coming from the valve cover, the timing cover, the left side, right side, etc.

The class action settlement mentioned above pertained to the 1997-2002 ES and other Toyota/Lexus Vehicles.

steviej

Thanks Steve,

I understand the logic of the filters but I bought a dozen "full" brand Japenese OEM filters about 2 years ago. I've been using them without any issues to date. After I initially heard the knock I changed the oil and filter thinking maybe the anti-drain back feature had failed. Unfortunately a few days later, knock was present again after lengthy sit with cold start.

My parents have actually owned vehicle (I was original owner and still maintain) for past 3 years. I happened to start it a few weeks ago when temp had dropped and car was idle for a few days. KNOCK,KNOCK,KNOCK

Parents said they never heard abnormal noise. I asked them to monitor after I noticed it. They heard nothing for weeks until vehicle sat idle for a couple of days then sure enough KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK for a few seconds at start up then quiet.

I told my father to let car sit outside for 24 hours and then start and monitor oil light. I'll post his results tomorrow.

Side note: I contacted my Lexus dealer and they say they have not had any such issues on the ES300