Nav Override Hack

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough the 5.1/6.1 disc caused some serious issues with performance. There were lags when accessing features and such problems keeping GPS signals. However, when I used a 5.1/7.1 disc there were no problems whatsoever. The override worked well, however sadly I still can't dial numbers while in motion or change MP3 folders, but that's small stuff since I just spent some time loading in my phonebook and know how to structure my discs when I burn them from now on.

Oddly enough the 5.1/6.1 disc caused some serious issues with performance. There were lags when accessing features and such problems keeping GPS signals. However, when I used a 5.1/7.1 disc there were no problems whatsoever. The override worked well, however sadly I still can't dial numbers while in motion or change MP3 folders, but that's small stuff since I just spent some time loading in my phonebook and know how to structure my discs when I burn them from now on.

Hey CS,

Thanks for updating on your efforts!

I have found that data lagging like you were seeing was a bad burn or bad copy to ISO. Did you use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs? Typically a bad LOADING file will buy you a warning on your screen and it will not load.

I had some really crappy performing hybrids when I was using Memorex discs...they were doing just like you were saying; lagging while the drive tried to read the data. Out of 15 memorex discs, I managed to make one that would read correctly, and I keep it as a spare just in case. When I switched to Verbatim using the same iso, it worked perfectly first shot.

Congrats on your working Gen 5 5.1/7.1 disc though! That is fantastic! :cheers:

Also, regarding the phone integration, there is a thread somewhere here on removing the speed sensing wire that would enable all of the phone features and radio RDS text info etc.

Seek and ye shall find!

Thanks Billy. Yeah the burn was likely an issue which didn't really matter too much to me since I took your advice and just put the original disc in. Then I burned the 5.1/7.1 disc at 2x (the lowest mine will go) and bought myself a fresh 25 pack of Verbatim DVD+R -DL figuring that I would need more than a few spares. Maybe down the road I'll be down with snipping some wires and do that when I muster up the courage to do a VAIS install. Thankfully my wife can stop heckling me since it all works again.

As a side note I thought she would be grateful since the end result was newer maps and an override to the problems she had, but she didn't feel as proud as I did. Oh well.

EDIT: To clarify a bit as to what happened and how I fixed it, I know I was a bit vague.

1. Originally I burned a 5.1/6.1 hybrid disc to use in my Gen 5 system. Upon inserting, I drove around to make sure the maps worked, they did.
  2. Pull the RADIO1 (15amp) fuse for 5 minutes. Reinsert after the appropriate time.
  3. Turn the car on and reinsert the 5.1/6.1 hybrid disc. After a few minutes of driving around I realized the disc was a bad burn in that the GPS would drop connection, the car would skip around on the screen coming on and off the maps and most importantly there was significant lag when moving around anything on the touchscreen. :cries: So I parked and ejected the disc.
  4. To undo my work I turned the car off and pulled the RADIO1 fuse again for 5 minutes. Reinserted after the appropriate time.
  5. Turn the car on and in reinserted the disc from the dealer. All was well and honor was restored to the kingdom and this restored my NAV, maps, and firmware to a state as though I never started this process. This is key folks, if it worked before, clearing the memory and using the factory disc will make it work again assuming you haven't cut wires or pressed buttons with complete disregard for your vehicle.

But I wasn't done yet.

1. I burned a 5.1/7.1 hybrid disc using a Verbatim DVD+R -DL disc at THE LOWEST SPEED POSSIBLE on my burner and verified the burn (takes time but recommended).
  2. I turned the car on, ejected the disc and turned the car off.
  3. I pulled the RADIO1 fuse for 5 minutes. Reinserted after the appropriate time.
  4. I turned the car on, without the disc mind you, and was greeted with the Eng/Jap screen asking me to "please contact your dealer, blah blah blah".
  5. Now I reinserted the burned 5.1/7/1 hybrid disc and waited for the unit to load. Once done I drove around for a few minutes and tested the override feature and it was successful. My NAV was now in my control.

As a side note I thought she would be grateful since the end result was newer maps and an override to the problems she had, but she didn't feel as proud as I did. Oh well.

Aww man! See that is your fault right there!

You should have level-set her expectations in advance.

Next time, talk about it for about a week and tell her how much it is going to cost, how much time you are going to have to spend and how you are going to have to cut into her shoe budget to get this thing right. Then when you tell her it is done and only cost some time and a few coasters, she will know what a hero you are! See?

Then she will go buy some new shoes. :censored:

Congrats again!

:cheers:

I am a new RX 09 owner here... I've recently tried to make a hybrid 5.1/8.1 dvd but has not been sucessful at all. My new car is equipped with v.8.1, and I found a 5.1 kwi online (can't really tell if this is a Gen 5 kwi file or not.) On the first try, I burned the disc on a Sony DVD+R DL which it was not recognized by the unit. Second round around, I used a Verbatine DVD+R DL and got the same result with an error message in both English and Japanese. It should be noted that in both cases, when installing the dvd without reseting the fuse, the system was working fine and allowed me to change location to other states. I've searched high and low including other forums belongs to Toyota and Scion, and so far only this thread has some info regarding a 5.1/8.1 can be made. I found a discussion where people said a DVD-R DL would be better? Could this be the case? Thanks in advance

Well that would only be viable if they switched to a new drive manufacturer or there was a new firmware (for the drive that is, not the unit we touch) in place. If that is true I could see DVD-R DL working, but that likely means a new manufacturer since the DVD war split the camp into 2 divisions.

I found a 5.1 LOADING file online somewhere, like you, it burned without success. I found a completed 5.1/7.1 that I burned and that was a successful install. As of this post I only know of Step Hen that was successful getting a 5.1/8.1 hybrid working but don't know about on an 09 RX.

Well that would only be viable if they switched to a new drive manufacturer or there was a new firmware (for the drive that is, not the unit we touch) in place. If that is true I could see DVD-R DL working, but that likely means a new manufacturer since the DVD war split the camp into 2 divisions.

I found a 5.1 LOADING file online somewhere, like you, it burned without success. I found a completed 5.1/7.1 that I burned and that was a successful install. As of this post I only know of Step Hen that was successful getting a 5.1/8.1 hybrid working but don't know about on an 09 RX.

Wow, you're so lucky.

Actually it's you that's lucky. The amount of times that we use the override is significantly less that that amount of times I have to hit the 'I Agree' button on the screen. Either one works for me since I both gain and lose something. Still haven't found an 8.1 online anywhere but if there was an unlocked official version I would be the first one at my deal with cash.

As of this post I only know of Step Hen that was successful getting a 5.1/8.1 hybrid working but don't know about on an 09 RX.

Tried my hybrid 8.1/5.1 disc in a 2009 ES but it didn't work, so it's back to the drawing board.

Lexus must have changed the 8.1 firmware to not allow any downgrades. That's my story!

Tried my hybrid 8.1/5.1 disc in a 2009 ES but it didn't work, so it's back to the drawing board.

Lexus must have changed the 8.1 firmware to not allow any downgrades. That's my story!

Sneaky Denso/Lexus. Sneaky indeed. Well I'm happy with the 7.1 maps. Around me there isn't much I can't find in by address since typically once a building is torn down there's another right behind it.

Also I like adding by GPS coordinates when I get really stuck. I've used http://www.geocoder.us for US stuff and this one for other places: http://www.gpscoordinates.eu/determine-gps-coordinates.php

• 2 months later...

I just got my 2006 RX400H. It has a Gen 4 Nav. It has the Gen 4 disc v5.1 in the drive. I got a gen 5 disc ver 8.1. Can I make a hybrid using this, or do I need a gen 4 ver 8.1 disc to make a hybrid disc? I appreciate any help you guys can throw me. Thanks.

I just got my 2006 RX400H. It has a Gen 4 Nav. It has the Gen 4 disc v5.1 in the drive. I got a gen 5 disc ver 8.1. Can I make a hybrid using this, or do I need a gen 4 ver 8.1 disc to make a hybrid disc? I appreciate any help you guys can throw me. Thanks.

Sadly no. You need to have the right Generation disc in order to cobble together a hybrid disc. In your case you would need to find a Gen 4 v8.1 disc and piece together that map data (8.1) and the loading.kwi file (5.1). If you do some searching online I think you will find that one is not that far away.

billy , chicken or anyone else:

Has anyone found or is able to provide the v5.1 loading.kwi for 5th gen? I need a loading file compatible with the 5th gen hardware in 2008-2009 models. I have only been able to find the loading.kwi for 4th and older.

Am eagerly trying to create a hybrid disc for a 2008 rx400h, 5th gen nav, v5.1 map. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone!

:blushing: I have been reading a researching for hours! I have an 04 Toyota Highlander and a couple of years ago I found the volume hack and still use it and love it. I kept researching hacks until I found a hard wire kit that would open everything up including the after market DVD player, so I bought it, but of course never installed it! It cost about $250.00. Oh well, now I can't find the site I bought it from. While I was looking for that site I've read that there is an Override DVD that includes the new map data and the old 5.1 software somewhere. I have searched ebay, torrents, etc and I am not having any luck! I currently have ver 4.01 in my car. The maps are so outdated I get lost trying to follow them! Could someone please advise me on what I can do?

Please help, Thanks in advance,

mommyk

As of this post I only know of Step Hen that was successful getting a 5.1/8.1 hybrid working but don't know about on an 09 RX.

So 8.1/5.1 wont work in a 2009 ES. Were you able to get a 7.1/5.1 to work in your 2009 ES? I assume a 09 ES would also have a 5th gen NAV hardware as in my my 2008 RXh?

So 8.1/5.1 wont work in a 2009 ES. Were you able to get a 7.1/5.1 to work in your 2009 ES? I assume a 09 ES would also have a 5th gen NAV hardware as in my my 2008 RXh?

Yes. I currently use a 7.1/5.1 disc on my 2007 RX and it works really well when I need it. I have a copy of the 8.1 map data and will likely just use that since I'm sick of the 'I Agree' screen and can deal without the hack. The 09 is still Gen 5 AFAIK, I believe it was in 2010 that they changed to the next version. I will just ride it out on the 8.1 disc for now.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have an RX350 purchased Feb 2008, I have the feeling its a 2007 model but the dealer insists its a 2008 model, the loaded Nav DVD just says WEstern Europe 2006 - 2007, how do know what version i got 6.1 7.1 ?? etc.. am i able to make a hybrid dvd too as currently the override hack does not work on my system.

thanks

Loki6000

I read with interest this thread about overriding the NAV System. I have a 2009 RX350 w/NAV and as I understand it, the only option I have is to obtain a hybrid 8.1/5.1 disk. Because I am frequently driving with another family member in the passenger seat, it if very frustrating for me (and at times somewhat dangerous) to have to pull over to the shoulder to access a feature that I thought I'd have when I purchased the vehicle. I could easily have had my passenger access the NAV info I am requesting. I have searched eBay for a while for this disk, but with no luck. Does anyone know of a source for this hybrid disk (other than eBay) that would enable me to override the NAV? Even the cheap Garmin unit I had with a Parrot bluetooth gave me far more capability than my current NAV on my '09 RX350 gives me. I am guilty of not doing enough homework before the purchase...that's for sure. I am aware of individual 3rd party vendors with products that will defeat the GPS or another to defeat the Audio w/ipod, but I'd prefer the solution which overrides the NAV controls all together. So outside of this hybrid disk, are there any other 3rd party solutions out there or in the works. I would wait if I thought there was a solution coming for my model.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
I read with interest this thread about overriding the NAV System. I have a 2009 RX350 w/NAV and as I understand it, the only option I have is to obtain a hybrid 8.1/5.1 disk. Because I am frequently driving with another family member in the passenger seat, it if very frustrating for me (and at times somewhat dangerous) to have to pull over to the shoulder to access a feature that I thought I'd have when I purchased the vehicle. I could easily have had my passenger access the NAV info I am requesting. I have searched eBay for a while for this disk, but with no luck. Does anyone know of a source for this hybrid disk (other than eBay) that would enable me to override the NAV? Even the cheap Garmin unit I had with a Parrot bluetooth gave me far more capability than my current NAV on my '09 RX350 gives me. I am guilty of not doing enough homework before the purchase...that's for sure. I am aware of individual 3rd party vendors with products that will defeat the GPS or another to defeat the Audio w/ipod, but I'd prefer the solution which overrides the NAV controls all together. So outside of this hybrid disk, are there any other 3rd party solutions out there or in the works. I would wait if I thought there was a solution coming for my model.

Thanks in advance.

Well since the software we're talking about is technically illegal since it reverse engineers products; there aren't many legit sources and you won't find any of us linking to it because we will get kicked off the boards. We all know how to use Google and you'd be amazed what you find when using the right search terms. mmmmmmmmmmkay?

If you are the most daring out there, kits are available that will ground your brake sensor wire to the chassis which tricks the system into thinking it's parked. It involves cutting and soldering wires. So caveat emptor as it will likely void at least a couple of warranties. You might have better luck just searching for a hybrid 7.1/5.1 disc. The map data isn't bad, it's what I used for a while and yes you can use the Volume hack. Just read my earlier posts about what fuses to pull and you'll be all set.

• 11 months later...

I just built a hybrid disk (5.1/7.1) for our new 2009 RX350. Searching the various forums indicated that the correct fuse to pull for de-energizing the Nav is a 7.5 amp fuse titled "TV". My 2009 RX350 has no fuse with this title but it does have a 7.5 amp fuse titled "Radio 2" that the owner's manual states feeds the Nav system (there is another fuse that the manual states feeds the display but I am assuming it is not this fuse).

I pulled the "Radio 2" fuse, left it out for almost 20 minutes, but the system did not seem to reset. Therefore I have to assume it is another fuse but what fuse is it?

Interestingly, the hybrid disk did not work probably because I used DVD-R instead of DVD+R media (I'll fix that problem tomorrow). When I finally reinstalled the disk that came with the car (ver 7.1), the system seemed to reset on its own as all my custom POI's disappeared.

I just bought a 2006 LS430. I would like to update the maps, but I don't want to lose the hack override. Am I looking for a 5.1/7.1 hybrid as well. Sorry to display my ignorance, But the override is a must. Thanks in advance for your help.