Sporadic Vibration In 2000 Ls

FemiBoanerges

While driving, vibration starts suddenly and gradually but within 2-3 seconds reaches maximum. There is no associated noise and no abnormal smells. The vibration feels exactly like having a completely flat tyre. As a matter of fact, the first time it happened, I pulled up to check for a tyre blow out. Bringing the car to a stop (no need to switch off the engine) cures the problem completely. Subsequently, the car drives smooth and beautifully until this strange symptom strikes again - usually weeks or months before it happens again. There was a string on this subject in 2004 but with no clear conclusion or solution (e.g. ebrake, front axle bushings etc). Attempting to drive faster when the vibration occurs makes the vibration worse. All four tyres checked and okay. No overheated tyres when driving.

This may not be related, but every time that the vibration occurred I had just joined a main highway from a slip road.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a definitive solution.

Many thanks

Femi

While driving, vibration starts suddenly and gradually but within 2-3 seconds reaches maximum. There is no associated noise and no abnormal smells. The vibration feels exactly like having a completely flat tyre. As a matter of fact, the first time it happened, I pulled up to check for a tyre blow out. Bringing the car to a stop (no need to switch off the engine) cures the problem completely. Subsequently, the car drives smooth and beautifully until this strange symptom strikes again - usually weeks or months before it happens again. There was a string on this subject in 2004 but with no clear conclusion or solution (e.g. ebrake, front axle bushings etc). Attempting to drive faster when the vibration occurs makes the vibration worse. All four tyres checked and okay. No overheated tyres when driving.

This may not be related, but every time that the vibration occurred I had just joined a main highway from a slip road.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a definitive solution.

Many thanks

Femi

I would hazard a guess that a brake caliper may be playing up. Do you feel it in the drivers wheel when it happens? Since stopping cures it that is a big clue. The fact that it occurs when you are accelerating to a high speed is due to the fact that you probably won't notice it at slow speed since the LS has progressive power steering, the faster you go the less assist you get and the more "feel" you will have. If there is an unbalance due to brakes then the power steering could act like a big damper. Worth checking out next time you have your disc pads inspected to see how evenly they are wearing.

Sorry I haven't had any experience of this directly, hopefully someone will chime in!