1999 Es300 Transmission Replacement Cost

skidrow

I just got the shocking estimate to replace my 1999 ES300 transmission at the dealer - $4400! Two questions - 1) does this estimate seem ridiculous? I was expecting something more like $2K. And 2) doesn't 109K miles seem like way too early for a well maintained Lexus tranny to fail? Anyone else had a problem with this transmission?

I rebuilt my own for $350.00 If you are mecanically inclined I can assist you with information/ parts list ect...

$4000.00 is Waaaaaaayyyyy too much. You can get a rebuilt tranny for $1650.00 or less from auto salvage yards.

I also have a 99 ES300 and had my tranny replaced about 2 years ago at 135,000 miles. I was going to do a rebuild but it was torn up pretty bad so I went with a reman from Certified (or as my buddy calls it "Sure-to-fry") :D . . . . .cost me $2300 and that included a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. Good luck.

Thanks to those who replied. I called around and found someone who would put a used one (38K mi from Japan Engines) in for $1600. Told the Lexus dealer how disappointed I was in having it fail so soon, and that I'd had many a GM car that sucked in every other respect but never had a tranny go bad in one - they didn't really care. Shame because I loved the car up til now.

I rebuilt my own for $350.00 If you are mecanically inclined I can assist you with information/ parts list ect...

$4000.00 is Waaaaaaayyyyy too much. You can get a rebuilt tranny for $1650.00 or less from auto salvage yards.

Thanks for the offer - might take you up on it if I were 30 years younger :) - I've short-blocked and done valve jobs on many cars in the past. Found someone who will do it for $1600 - see general reply.

my tranny went out around 115K miles. . i guess the previous owner never really changed the tranny fluid and tranny got screwed.

Anyway, the 99 ES300 has two models of tranny. you need to figure out what you have first or they will quote you the higher price for the wrong tranny. can't exactly remember the tranny model #'s when i had it rebuilt 2 yrs ago. they have the U140 and may be the E140. U140 is the newer model.

when you ask for rebuilt prices, they should quote you two prices: 1. soft rebuilt 2. hard rebuilt

soft rebuilt = gaskets, seals, torque converter. . .etc (no gears)

hard rebuilt = everything including the gears

i had a hard rebuilt + two sensors for $2400 (it means the previous owner really screwed it). Soft rebuilt is probably $1800 or so

when they quote you the soft rebuilt and had to revise to hard rebuilt, don't be surprised. some will quote you the smaller price to get your car in.

i guess the rest of you here can debate rebuilt vs. used tranny from japan. the price is not much difference between rebuilt vs. used tranny. unless you know how to install a tranny, then i would go for a used one.