Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

SKperformance

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

• 1 year later...

Can someone please help me. I have a 2006 Lexus GX470 and I have taken the third row seat out and put it in the garage. I want to add a tannaeu cover, but the Lexus dealer told me that I would have to replace all of the interior panels on the vehicle. Is there any other way that I can get the cover for under $1500.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please help me. I have a 2006 Lexus GX470 and I have taken the third row seat out and put it in the garage. I want to add a tannaeu cover, but the Lexus dealer told me that I would have to replace all of the interior panels on the vehicle. Is there any other way that I can get the cover for under $1500.

I've been working on this problem since 2004. Unfortunately the answer is no, if you want to go with Lexus parts. The mounting points for the tonneau cover are integral to the interior panels, AND ARE NOT FOUND ON THE INTERIOR PANELS OF VEHICLES WITH OPTIONAL 3RD ROW SEATS. Because Lexus opted to push the vestigial 3rd row seats as a forced upgraqe to add to their corporate profit, not many US vehicles had the tonneau cover interior, so wrecking yard parts are almost nonexistant.

Unless a US dealer, like Sewell Lexus in Dallas, who sells the DVD upgrade at a reasonable price, elects to obtain and market these panels and covers, we are forced to cover cargo in the upscale Lexus with an old blankets :chairshot: while owners of many other SUVs have tonneau covers.

• 4 months later...

I've been working on this problem since 2004. Unfortunately the answer is no, if you want to go with Lexus parts. The mounting points for the tonneau cover are integral to the interior panels, AND ARE NOT FOUND ON THE INTERIOR PANELS OF VEHICLES WITH OPTIONAL 3RD ROW SEATS. Because Lexus opted to push the vestigial 3rd row seats as a forced upgraqe to add to their corporate profit, not many US vehicles had the tonneau cover interior, so wrecking yard parts are almost nonexistant.

Unless a US dealer, like Sewell Lexus in Dallas, who sells the DVD upgrade at a reasonable price, elects to obtain and market these panels and covers, we are forced to cover cargo in the upscale Lexus with an old blankets :chairshot: while owners of many other SUVs have tonneau covers.

unfortunately, you would have to replace the whole interior in the back if you wish to have a tonneau cover. My GX doesn't have a third seat, and when i showed my friend my GX when it was brand new, he said that if one day he bought it from me, is it possible to buy the third seat and just mount it in? I said "no" because the mounting locks on the side aren't installed in my GX because I have the tonneau cover.

• 1 year later...

Help! I just bought a 03 GX470 and love it - except:

My kids have black specs all over after using the rear wireless headphones. The pads are deteriorated to the point they are flaking all over. They otherwise work great, so hate to pitch them and buy new ones. Any idea what I can do besides getting the little white throw away covers. The kids would not be caught dead with those in place. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey all, A newbie here with a Prob.? :unsure:

We just got a 2005 Gx last Sat. I noticed that when we got home the car made a hissing sound.

The next time it did it I saw the car go down a little in the rear along with the hiss. On this last Fri.

I took my wife to work and when we stopped at a light the car felt like it dropped three times..

Is this normal ??? I called the dealer and told them this and they said they haven't heard of the prob. before. Thay told me to bring it in on Fri. and thay will check it out.. I also was reading here about the clunk,

is this also true for a 2005 ??? I think I heard and felt it one time, but not as bad like some of you did. Please let me know about these things..Thanks, 05GX470 :blink:

• 9 months later...
Hey all, A newbie here with a Prob.? :unsure:

We just got a 2005 Gx last Sat. I noticed that when we got home the car made a hissing sound.

The next time it did it I saw the car go down a little in the rear along with the hiss. On this last Fri.

I took my wife to work and when we stopped at a light the car felt like it dropped three times..

Is this normal ??? I called the dealer and told them this and they said they haven't heard of the prob. before. Thay told me to bring it in on Fri. and thay will check it out.. I also was reading here about the clunk,

is this also true for a 2005 ??? I think I heard and felt it one time, but not as bad like some of you did. Please let me know about these things..Thanks, 05GX470 :blink:

I have an 03 lexux GX 470 and I experience exactly same thing..but since it does not affect the performance of my car....I simply ignored it. I advise u do same!

• 2 months later...

The hissing and lowering is normal after you've stopped and everyone has gotten out of the car. The GX has a pneumatic suspension that pressurizes and depressurizes to maintain a correct ride height.

The dropping sensation at a stop light might be the "clunk" but it's hard to say for sure. Our 2006 GX had mild clunk symptoms until we got the fix applied. The easiest way to reproduce the problem was drive to a stop. After coming to a complete stop count to three... and then you'd hear the clunk and feel like you just got lightly rear-ended.

Apparently it was much worse on earlier models. Since we got the fix, I haven't noticed it at all.

Yes the GX lowers the rear suspension to "help" you move in and out of the vehicle. Honestly the 1 inch or so doesn't really make a big difference, but that's how it was programmed and it's totally normal for the vehicle to move up and down at times, re-adjusting itself depending on the level of the road. ;)

• 6 months later...

whats going on everyone i have a 2003 gx and im trying to find any performance mods but have no luck with it i cant even find an air intake that goes for a gx if anyone can guide me the right way it will be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

2 (3 if you count original dealer),

Gifted from Parents after they put 84k miles on it,

Service: All of service to the point that we received it was at original Lexus dealer, and i don't yet have the records. Since we've had it 18 months: $1800 for rear brakes, alignment, timing belt replacement, fuel system flush, brake flush, oil flush, transmission flush, and i'm leaving some stuff off, but can't find my reciept at the moment. --all done from local Toyota dealer.

• 1 month later...

original owner... 33,000 Km (about 20,000 miles)

got a flat tire fixed in the 1st year under warranty and a turn signal bulb replaced in the 3rd year under warranty.... thats the extent of my service history

i am taking it in next week to get the "clunk" fixed.... i'm glad i came across this site when searching some i-pod options as i had complained to my dealer about the clunk 2 or 3 times and was told: "they all do that".... no mention of a fix.... dealers.... patooey!

• 1 year later...

The hissing and lowering is normal after you've stopped and everyone has gotten out of the car. The GX has a pneumatic suspension that pressurizes and depressurizes to maintain a correct ride height.

The dropping sensation at a stop light might be the "clunk" but it's hard to say for sure. Our 2006 GX had mild clunk symptoms until we got the fix applied. The easiest way to reproduce the problem was drive to a stop. After coming to a complete stop count to three... and then you'd hear the clunk and feel like you just got lightly rear-ended.

Apparently it was much worse on earlier models. Since we got the fix, I haven't noticed it at all.

• 1 year later...

mark levinson amp-

is dead on my gx470 2004

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

dealer wants 1600 fo new and something like 800 for used part + instal

seems like too many of thses go bad to be bad luck

• 1 month later...

2004 GX470, 64k miles

3rd Owner

Purchased from in-laws (2nd owners)

Owned - 3 weeks

2 concerns:

1) Nasty buzz/rattle in passenger front door with bass notes (Levinson audio) - either something loose or blown speaker (afraid bad speaker). Will tear into door soon to determine.

2) Paint concerns. Vehicle is Black Onyx and showing signs of failure (small areas of cracking/checking, size of quarter or less). Initially found on hood which can be related to engine heat, have also found on side panels (original paint). May contact Lexus for resolution.

Future upgrades: HID, possible iPod interface (although I prefer Android so "AUX" interface), may consider wheels down the road.

Thanks!

-Eric

• 1 year later...

I bought a 2004 in May 2012 with about 98k. I love this thing. It is the nicest, best-made car I have ever driven (and I've tried out some very nice cars). It looks like I may have to have the shocks done eventually (though everything seems fine), and I had to replace some light bulbs, but it is great so far. I still, after 8 months, find myself saying "this is a really nice car" when I am driving it. Sad that it is dirty inside now, it was like new when I got it, but we have five kids.

Where do most people get service done if there is not a dealer near by? Not in a great position to work on it at home, and I don't get too deep into car maintenance, anyway.

Can anyone give me suggestions on leather cleaner?

I want to keep this thing in good shape, and if I need to have something done, I want it done right.

• 1 month later...

I purchase my 2007 gx470 in Apr 2012 with 74K miles. We have loved this car from the start. Even my wife loves it which is a complete surprise to me seeing as though she said she didn't like most SUV's. The only issus we have had is the Catalitic converter is going out. We received some esp lights about 3 months ago and took it into the dealer who informed us about the converter. Of course the converter is about the only thing not covered in the extended warranty. Was told not a real big deal but should be replaced this summer.

• 1 year later...

We have a 2003 GX470 which we love. It's up to aboiut 140,000 miles now. Almost all work has been done at dealership but as of late, I've been making repairs to save money. Replaced the rotors, calipers and pads on the front. Took a few days with all the rust. Everything was fused together. It's all back together and working nicely, then I developed a brake fluid leak on my drivers side rear. Fluid appears to be coming from the lower main bolt that holds the caliper together, but I think it's originating from the fitting where the brake lines fastens to the caliper.

After soaking it with PB blaster and coaxing it a bit, I was able to get the old fitting out cleanly. It looks almost like a bleeder screw. My caliper came with 2 brass washers for that fitting.

My quesitons: How do the 2 brass washers situate? Is there any kind of rubber or sealing kind of washer I can use there?

The very slow leak seems to be coming from that fitting and I'd love to save it if possible.

Any ideas on how to get this leak stopped short of just replacing the brake line?

Thanks for any help.

I got it. While taking our 350 in for service, I sat with the service manager who was nice enough to spend time explaining the banjo fitting and how the 2 crush washers situate on the gx470 and he even gave me a way to temporarily plug a brake line while disconnected.

So I spent some time cleaning that fitting and after some brushing with pb blaster, the original washer, which was fused, flattened, and scored, came off. I think that was the culprit as I have a clean new one there now with no leaks for the last 45 minutes of test driving.

Time for a brake dance.

And I learned how to get fused rotors off of a gx470 this week, so I've got that going for me

• 4 months later...

I have a 04 GX470 with cracked dash. I just got a letter from Lexus saying they would replace the dash. They said in the letter that they were prepairing the necessary parts to implement this fix. I got the letter in Feb. 2015 and they said they

would send out a second letter in the spring of 2015. Have not heard from them yet. Has anyone had their dash replaced yet.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone attempted to or successfully rewired the air compressor to bypass the Air Suspension ECU? I'm talking about wiring it directly to the battery with an in-line fuse wired in and a switch to turn it on/off and 2 momentary buttons to allow pump up and deflate the air springs. I have been considering trying this but just wanted to get some imput or see if anyone else has successfully done this?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2008 Lexus GX470 bought in 2009 and suddenly discover that it bounces at the rear when driving after self examination just discovered that the rear back is not lifting as it usually does.

Please what is wrong and what do I need to fix their.

Thanks,

• 1 year later...

I bought a 2006 GX 470 and the amplifier is bad. My mechanic can get one on line for $700. The dealership wants $1500. Minimum. I can't believe with all I've read about the bad amplifiers that Lexus hasn't  done a recall or there hasn't been a class action suit. Can anyone please help me regarding this matter? There must be a cheaper fix! I'm also in need of all the manuals that should have come with this vehicle! The car dealership still has been No help after many promises! Any help you may give regarding these matters would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2006 Lexus GX470 I purchased new in Dec. 2005.  It is Blizzard Pearl.  I purchased in Ft. Myers Florida.  This is my third Lexus....all purchased new.  My issue - peeling paint on roof and driver's side doors.  Horrible looking!  Big chunks coming off down the primer.  Local dealership passed me on to Chicago rep (midwest) and the claim was declined.  No reason.  They simply saw photos and made the determination.  Has any one had this issue?  Were they helped by Lexus in any way?

• 1 year later...