Hi I Inherited A Es300

tonyatl

I inherited a 1996 es300 with 200k on it. I figure I will use it for short hops. The drivers window doesnt work and slides down by itself. What do you think has to be changed? the window motor? regulator? I figure if it cant stay up by itself, it's not the switch but I may change it anyway. It looks beat up. Can I use the left rear one and move it to the front? is it a big deal to install window motors and regulators on that car? I just picked the car up so I haven't removed the door panel yet.

Also the sunvisors dont stay all the way up can they be adjusted or do they have to replaced? Thanks

tonyatl is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

tonyatl,

Until you get the door panel off you won't know what to fix or replace. You really don't give us enough to know where to direct you for a fix. When you press the switch, do you hear a click or the motor running? When you say the window slides down by itself, are you saying that the glass has come disconnected from the window crank mechanism and can be slid up and down by hand with no hinderance from the motor? Did you mean that the window switch is beat up and doesn't work? Usually you cannot switch rear window regulator systems with front ones. What I would do is to pull the inner door panel and the plastic inner weather liner (just a plastic film) and figure out what needs fixing/replacing. At that point used parts from an auto wrecker is the cheapest way to go. Keep in mind that many parts from Toyota Camry's for the same model run may be innterchageable with your Lexus, making the chances at getting what you need cheaper and easier. Get back to us with what you find out. Good Luck!

• 7 years later...

I just bought (yesterday) a 1996 ES300 (141,822 miles) and my front passenger side window does not go down. it may go up, but i don't know because i have never seen it down. the previous owner says that sometimes it work and sometimes it does not... but so far i got nothing. i tried both the driver side and passenger side controls and nothing. i don't hear any clicks or motor sounds, so i think its the switches. any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks, Veedo

veedo,

As I stated in my previous post, get the inner door panel off, and the weather seal, and then look around.

Many things become obvious then. Is the cable broken? Can you jump 12 volts to the motor pins directly and the motor works? Reverse the 12 volt wires, does it work the other direction? Is the wiring connector to the motor corroded and just needs cleaning? Pull the rubber gaiter at the door hinge that the door wiring is in. Are any of the wires broken? Fix them and what happens? Pull the switch and spray its seams with electrical contact cleaner and cycle it several times. Test it after the fluid evaporates (5 minutes).

My guess is the switch, the wiring or the motor. If the culprit can't be fixed as suggested, put in a used one from a wrecking yard. Take your old one with you, because one from a Camry of the same year may be able to be substituted, and will be cheaper to buy. Good Luck!