Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

2001 ES 3000, 75,000miles, silver

Puchased 2005 for $19,000 with 54,000 miles, off lease

Had 60,000 service at Toyota dealer, brakes

Just had timing belt/ water pump replaced, 75,000 service, $800 at Toyota dealer

Car runs great. Amazingly smooth. No problems at all yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!!!!! Great site!!!!!!!

Vehicle: 1993 ES300 w/auto transmission

Color: Plum (Yuck!) w/gray leather interior

Current Miles: 106,500 miles

Miles when acquired: 106,200

Price paid for car: $00.00 (Gift from my sister - original owner.)

Actually, she told me that if I pay for repairs, I could have the car.

It needed a radiator and hoses. Total for repairs: $800.00

Car has a couple of problems. Nothing serious. Nothing that some care and attention can't fix. Needs a good cleaning/polishing/wax, too.

My sister basically filled it with gas and had the oil changed every 3,000 miles.

The car gets 28.2 mpg on the hwy.

I'm 53 and car insurance is $400.00 / 6 months, full coverage.

Hi - I have a 92 ES300 - paid $4200 for it in '05. It has 107,000 miles on it. Been pretty good - had to replace some belts and hoses. Drives great.

Issues - I think my CV boots/joints need attention - clicking when turning - also...does anyone know if there is a reset button on my 10 disc trunk mount cd changer? It just quit working - when I press the CD button on my dash unit - nothing happens. And I can't eject the cartridge. Would love to avoid replacing.

THanks.

• 2 weeks later...
1997 ES300 ONYX WITH THE CRAPPY GREY CLADDING AT THE BOTTOM

PURCHASED FEB 2 01 FROM ANTWERPEN TOYOTA IN BALTIMORE,MD

THE CAR HAD 44G'S ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT FOR $21K. IT WAS MY FIRST LUXURY/PERFORMANCE CAR AND I WAS ONLY 21. IN B-MORE "LEXUS" IS KINDA LIKE A STATUS SYMBOL WHICH IS PROBABLY WHY I WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT BUYING IT. I WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS BECAUSE I AM YOUNG AT THE CAR BUYING GAME. IT IS LIKE A PSYCH CONTEST. THE CAR CAME WITH HEATED SEATS, LEATHER, A MOONROOF VISOR WHICH I RIPPED OFF (TOO MANY CAMRY'S HAVE THEM). AS A DISAPOINTMENT TO ME, MY BABY (NAMED ALEXUS) WAS IN A TERRIBLE FRONT END COLLISION IN JUNE 01. SHE WAS IN THE COLLISION CENTER FOR 2 MONTHS TOTALING $14G'S. I WAS MISERABLE ALL SUMMER. UP TO DATE I HAVE ABOUT 130G'S ON THE ODO NOW

MAINTENANCE:

09/01 CHANGED FRONT BRAKE PADS AND NEW ROTORS (METROMOTORWORKS IN COLUMBIA MD) THEY DID A GREAT JOB. $365.00 B)

12/02 90K SERVICE PERFORMED ONTHE CAR. HAD THE TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, ACCESSORY BELTS, ALL HOSES, THERMOSTHAT, NEW TIRES AND TIMING RESET (METROMOTORWORKS) $1,100.00 :cries:

07/03 NEW BATTERY (WAL MART) $65.00 INSTALLED MYSELF

MODS:

18X8 ZENETTI MYSTIK'S WITH NANKANG TIRES

7000K NOKYA H7 LOW BEAM LIGHTS

2800K NOKYA H3 FOG LIGHTS

K&N AIR FILTER

BREMBO CROSS DRILLED ROTORS

PROBLEMS:

DRIVER DOOR HANDLE BROKE WHILE OPENING THE DOOR ON A RAINY DAY. MY HAND SLIPPED FROM UNDER THE HANDLE AND THE HANDLE SLAMMED AGAINST THE DOOR BREAKING THE HINGE. HAD IT REPAIRED AT LEN STOLER LEXUS IN OWINGS MILLS FOR $375?????????????????? :censored:

EARLIER THIS YEAR I TOOK THE CAR TO METROMOTORWORKS FOR A TPS SENSOR ERROR $69 FOR THE SENSOR AND $60 INSTALLED.

LIGHTS ON THE DASH ARE SLOWLY GOING AWAY INCLUDING THE ENTIRE LIGHT ASSEMBLY ON THE SHIFTER. I CAN'T SEE THE DISPLAY AT NIGHT. GOOD THING LEXUS PUT IT ON THE DASH TOO.

SEAT HEATERS NOT GETTING HOT (JUST NOTICABLY TAKING THE COLD AWAY)

THIS RE-OCCURING PROBLEM WITH THE WAY THE CAR IS RIDING. IT SEEMS TO FEEL LIKE I AM RUNNING OVER A BUMPY ROAD AT TIMES BUT THE ROAD CAN BE VERY SMOOTH. NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

THOSE PROBLEMS ARE MINOR AND CAN WAIT TO BE FIXED. I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT THEM YET. I AM 24 YEARS OLD AND i PAY ABOUT $2G'S A YEAR FOR INSURANCE (FULL COVERAGE) I WAS YOUNG AND DUMB BUT QUICKLY GREW UP AFTER SEEING ALL MY MONEY GOING TO MY BABY.

FUTURE MODS:

HOPEFULLY CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS (ORIGINALS FROM WHEN THE CAR WAS BUILT ARE STILL RUNNING STRONG)

NEW SUBWOOFER (I GOT A GREAT TIP FROM THIS FORUM ABOUT AN IMAGE DYNAMICS 8" SUB FOR THE BACK WINDOW)

ROCKFORD FOSGATE 351M AMP

NEW SPARK PLUG WIRES

IN THE PROCESS GETTING THE LITTLE STUPID PROBLEMS FIXED.

• 2 weeks later...

bought my 99 es 3 years ago for $12,000 from a dealer, 70,000 miles. they replaced a maf sensor, and rf strut mount.

i replaced the tires and had an alignment.

w/in the past year i have replaced the

alternator $175

all belts and battery $650

new tires, trans flush alignment $550

struts/strut mounts all 4 corners $500

charcoal canister $230

a/f sensor $170

rear sway bar links $125

new rotors and pads all around $300

plugs $50

plus all normal maint.

so since the beginning of the year i have spent $2700 in repairs. this !Removed! is mine til 250k.

i guess for how much i spent on the initial purchase and what i have repaired i am good til them except tires and new pads somewhere in the future.

now a speed sensor is bad, but i have no idea which one :chairshot:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys well im pretty much new to this stuff

i have a 98 es 300 it runs ok but every now and then

my engine starts to shake and the rpm starts going crazy

i have no clue what the problem is so by anychance do

you guys know whats the problem? and how much would it cost to fix?

thnx

-black

• 2 weeks later...

1995 Lexus ES300 purchased at the local lexus dealer for $8500 in Jan 2003. had 83,000 miles then. Now it has 121,000 miles.

It was a one owner car and everything was working.. I had 3 months warranty.

Most of the work on my car is done by a mechanic I know (he does this as an evening job). He works for a garage during the daytime.

So ofcourse the labor is way cheaper than the dealer 'hourly' charges. I don't think even a physician's hourly charges are not so much to repair a human body!

I have changed both CV joints, brake pads, rotors, master cylinder, A/C evaporator valve, replaced all the belts including timing belt and water pump, rear shocks, valve cover gasket (thanks to the oil change place that put extra oil), spark plugs, oxygen sensors, engine mounts, ABS speed sensor.

Most of this work was done as preventative except the A/C valve and the valve cover gasket.

I am planning to keep the car for another 2 years.

It seems like it will easily last..

-A

Is it possible to put 2000-2001 headlgihts for a Lexus ES300 in a 1997 Lexus ES300? I mean they look the same to me. But is that possible to do? Also, I have a few chips in the paint, and the touch up paint isn't doing any good, how much would a touchup paint job cost for the front bumper and parts of the hood? Thanks bye!

• 5 weeks later...

1997 Lexus ES300 3rd owner 131k miles

Mods

16" rims

smoke chrome emblems not sure if this is a mod

Problems

The one I need help with

The check engine light came on then the traction control disengaged and wont reengage.

Is there a way to read the code without the scan tool. I used to be big into fieros and you could short out to pins and the check engine light would flash the code.

the interior lights are burning out

the suspension seems to be going

there is a small oil leak at the main seal.

Replaced all the brakes cost maybe $100 diy

tires got a deal $200

I would appreciate some help on the check engine light

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I own 2002 Lexus ES300 all loaded. Nav Denso, Mark Levingston sound, raindrop sensor, rear shade.

I bought This car at mainhaim auto action. I like it but was more my friend decision. I was looking for Mercedes C320 2002.

So finally before I realize i own a Lexus. Another japanise car. I need european car. I am from Europe and we belive there is one car: Mercedes.

Next Monining I woke up and there is that Black Garnet Purl Lexus stay up front.

I still feel that this is little bit bigger car and need some more air-body adjustments. But when you get inside whoo... so nice: bright white gages meter, Xenon HID light.

Whell for 72k spent 14k was not bad. Insurance is kind a high $1600 a year. But the good thing is that people, talking about this car. There was this guy stop me in front of the caffeteria and tel me his store of previous owner that go to Cadillac and want to came back to Lex......

It is nice ride do not get me wrong but there was too small things I want to share.

First I have rust in the engine. They say it is normal if you driving the car in the city. Local Sparks Toyota clean something and now i fell that ingectors they clean not done right.

The second I can tall you stories about was my experince with lexus famouse ECM. Computer control transmission. SO they did update but drive bad...

Well the Toyota say that it will learn my draving habits. Come on they not that bad....The cars change 2-3-4 gear about 3000 and 4000 RPM. Brought it to Hedrick Lexus in Charlotte. I like this guys. So they say it is fine. Ok I found that if you disconnect the Negative side of you battery for 5 min will reset the memory and you start again to "learn" you style. Now it is OK.

Finally this is good car. Drives good it no need to be adjust. Just let it drive.....It will probably last you long time.

PS If some one have any Ideas how can mod some....Ideas are welcome. I saw in Europe Lexus tunning by Carlsson. Unbelivable...

• 3 weeks later...

97 ES300 with 144K, bought it on 10/18/07 for $3,500.

This is what I had done to the car so far:

A set of brand new brakes and rotors (front and rear).

New timing belt (at 145K) and water pump, cam and crank seals and all other belts.

A driver side fog light.

A new Sony stereo head unit with mp3 because no CD player came with the car and the LCD display is dead.

One of the back light on the climate control unit does not light up. Need to figure out how to take it apart and replace the bulb.

Other than that the car look fine and drive nice.

:cheers:

I am new to the Forum.

Bought a 1997 ES 300 from original owner. 99,000 miles. Paid $6,500. Is in reasonably good shape. Routine work done but can find no evidence that serviced other than oil change. Thought about having the time belt replaced now. Do other belts and water pump need changing? What else should I be concerned about motor wise? Runs very well just concerned about getting another 100,000 out of the car.

Thanks

I just purchased a 2005 ES 330 with 27,000 miles. It was a lease return and is immaculate. I have only had it for 5 days but am quite pleased with the car.

I have been reviewing the postings here with great interest. I will continue to glean your experiences but I have a few questions for this knowledable group:

1. My car is "pre-wired" for bluetooth. Any idea what the dealer will charge for the kit?

2. Also pre-wired for XM Radio: same question as to dealer cost.

3. There does not appear to be an option to get a spoiler for the 330. Will the spoiler for the 350 fit?

This is my first Lexus. What else should I know?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

1997 Lexus ES300. One owner before me.

Traded in a 2000 Cadillac Seville with a blown headgasket and paid 3000 difference to get the Lexus.

Needs rear breakes, front struts, and some inside radio bulbs replaced.

135k miles, good condition, some minor wear.

White with Black interior.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3655/0106081718yo4.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6356/0106081719zi2.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4453/0106081719abt5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am have problems with my locks on my 1991 ls400 i am thinking of putting a Keyless entry into the car.. as of now i have 3 keys and one works to open the pass. door so if i want keyless entry what system should i get and i don't know much about installing could i do it myself?

I have a 1992 ES300 very fresh with 20,209 miles on it. The only problem encountered is it takes a while before the transmission engages itself to drive or reverse .But problem disappears as soon as it starts running. Even if I park it again , turn off the engine as long as it's not overnight parking, there's no problem. what do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
- An alarming "grinding" noise when accelerating on the highway. Sounds like your transmission is about to fail, very disturbing. I spent a lot of time and money trying to find out what the problem was on my first ES300, I thought it was a serious transmission problem (the dealer did, too). It's actually a dust shield between the trans and the engine block contacting the ring gear on the flywheel. The transmission has to come out of the car to fix it... and the problem will re-occur anyway. The area of contact is very small and doesn't do any damage if left alone, which is what I have done with my present Lexus. In my opinion, this is a design fault that Lexus should have corrected - but they don't want to hear about it.

Tim, I just started experiencing this as well (93 ES300, 134k miles). Are you still experiencing this problem, or have you fixed it? I can deal with the grinding noise since this car is considered my beater. Are you sure if left alone there will be no considerable problems in the future?

Well, bought my "92 a couple of weeks ago. Has a problem where a puddle of rust was under the car before I got in to drive. Looked under engine & saw several areas that looked like a paintball gun shot rust balls under the hood. :huh: Couldn't see a leak of any kind so I kept driving. Car stopped for a second on an exit ramp :o & went home to look at engine again. Noticed that coolant reservior was empty. :huh: Went to put some in, drove around block, completely empty. Check radiator & tank, full of rust. Did some other things, but had to take in to Goodyear thinking I was going to pay 40 or 50 bucks for a flush & for them to find leak to no avail. I will pay as of this evening, $1350 :( for a new water pump, some hoses, timing belt (which of course has to be replaced along with water pump BUT was replaced 30k mi ago :angry:.) The hoses, I believe the heater hose specifically caused the major leak because the rust was eating inside out...but it's well worth it. I won't complain. Bought the car for 3600 with 129k mi on it & the guy at goodyear said it was worth it considering it's actually been taken care of & maintained properly with the exception of what he's fixing.

And I had two master keys. However, neither one had the spring behind the bump on the side to lock/unlock. My wife's key still has that but I happened to find the old key I got from a dealer as a kid fanatic and used the part from it...saved me $300! ;)

All in all, it's been an ok ride for now... :lol:

Regardless & even though I want a RR Silver Shadow when it comes out, I'll still have my '92 ES in my driveway (a dream I had 15 years ago) B)

Well, took the car back home after picking it up. After sitting in the driveway for a few, it began leaking coolant in addition to the fan still running like crazy. Took the car back in & they say I need a new radiator!!!!! :angry: I told them that I asked if everything else was ok after they fixed the hoses & such & they said yes. The guy says, well there is a small pinhole leak in the radiator, however, the mechanic didn't think anything of it & figured it was ok. I'm like WTF?!?!?!? He said it would be another 400 bucks. I told him I'm not giving them sh*t else. So he's waiting on the manager to get back on Monday. I told him I am expecting the radiator to be replaced for free considering I just paid 1300 bucks. :angry: I could have had it replaced also for that astronomical amount! So we'll see what happens...but I am NOT giving Goodyear ANY more of my money! Instead of a good year, it has now become a bad year! :(

I ended up paying 237 for the part, no labor... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now I have to take it back because they did something to my steering...I hate Goodyear!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

1995 Lexus ES300

1 previous owner

bought it for $5200 at a nearby Toyota dealership.

Been a happy owner for about 2 years and haven't had any major problems with the car yet. *knocks on wood*. The only problem that I could think of right now is the knocking sound in the rear suspension that sounds like a bunch of basketballs bouncing around in the trunk. I will be looking into that soon.

Routine maintenance on the engine is done independently in my very own garage.

So far no major mods. Recently got my windows tinted 35% front windows and 20% rear window. Hoping to save up some moola for an HID retrofit in the future. :P :P

• 2 weeks later...
Well, bought my "92 a couple of weeks ago. Has a problem where a puddle of rust was under the car before I got in to drive. Looked under engine & saw several areas that looked like a paintball gun shot rust balls under the hood. :huh: Couldn't see a leak of any kind so I kept driving. Car stopped for a second on an exit ramp :o & went home to look at engine again. Noticed that coolant reservior was empty. :huh: Went to put some in, drove around block, completely empty. Check radiator & tank, full of rust. Did some other things, but had to take in to Goodyear thinking I was going to pay 40 or 50 bucks for a flush & for them to find leak to no avail. I will pay as of this evening, $1350 :( for a new water pump, some hoses, timing belt (which of course has to be replaced along with water pump BUT was replaced 30k mi ago :angry:.) The hoses, I believe the heater hose specifically caused the major leak because the rust was eating inside out...but it's well worth it. I won't complain. Bought the car for 3600 with 129k mi on it & the guy at goodyear said it was worth it considering it's actually been taken care of & maintained properly with the exception of what he's fixing.

And I had two master keys. However, neither one had the spring behind the bump on the side to lock/unlock. My wife's key still has that but I happened to find the old key I got from a dealer as a kid fanatic and used the part from it...saved me $300! ;)

All in all, it's been an ok ride for now... :lol:

Regardless & even though I want a RR Silver Shadow when it comes out, I'll still have my '92 ES in my driveway (a dream I had 15 years ago) B)

Well, took the car back home after picking it up. After sitting in the driveway for a few, it began leaking coolant in addition to the fan still running like crazy. Took the car back in & they say I need a new radiator!!!!! :angry: I told them that I asked if everything else was ok after they fixed the hoses & such & they said yes. The guy says, well there is a small pinhole leak in the radiator, however, the mechanic didn't think anything of it & figured it was ok. I'm like WTF?!?!?!? He said it would be another 400 bucks. I told him I'm not giving them sh*t else. So he's waiting on the manager to get back on Monday. I told him I am expecting the radiator to be replaced for free considering I just paid 1300 bucks. :angry: I could have had it replaced also for that astronomical amount! So we'll see what happens...but I am NOT giving Goodyear ANY more of my money! Instead of a good year, it has now become a bad year! :(

I ended up paying 237 for the part, no labor... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now I have to take it back because they did something to my steering...I hate Goodyear!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Took it back & let the guy drive it with me inside b'c it was making THREE different noises that it had not before. He looked at it, and some clamps & such needed to be tightened, apparently my power stereing fluid was low even though I had checked it. Well now everything seems to be in order...and after that little bit of trouble... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Vehicle: '99 Lexus ES300 Coach Edition

Mileage: 70,500

Engine: 3.0L V6 DOHC VVT-i 1MZFE

# of Owners: 2

Price paid: $11,500 @ 45k miles

Length of ownership: 2.5 years

Age & Insurance: Mid-20s, $145 per month, no tickets/points

Modifications:

• 17" Konig 5-spoke alloy rims & Falken 235/50/17 all weather tires
  • Brembo Front Brake Kit w/ Slotted Rotors
  • 1" drop front and back Eibach springs (I'd go lower but I live on a dirt road).
  • Modified air box (additional 2" cold air intake pipe) and K&N filter
  • SilverStar headlights (HID's hopefully to come)
  • Removed badges and fake chrome & painted grille black

Planned Modifications:

• Pillar-mount oil pressure & battery gauges.
  • Upgrade radar detector to Passport 8500 series with ZR3 laser shifter kit.
  • 35% tint on all windows as legal.
  • Upgrade stereo system. Nothing extravagant, hopefully a 10" sub and some quality door speakers with a nice deck.
  • HID headlights
  • Electric exhaust cutout right before the cat. Just for sound and fun at the flick of a switch.

Problems to date:

• Starter failed at 65k miles. $150 for part, installed myself.
  • Mass airflow sensor failed at 68k miles, $80 to replace, installed myself.
  • One coilpack failed around 67-68k miles and was causing a missfire - $60, installed myself.
  • The car hasn't held alignment particularly well - I've had to realign twice a year or so. This could be due to my "spirited" driving style.
  • There's a short somewhere in the stereo, and occasionally the stereo will turn off momentarily during hard cornering.
  • Air in the power steering lines was causing a nasty noise - bled the lines, problem solved - Sadly, it took longer to isolate the problem than it did to solve it.
  • I use regular (non-synthetic) 10W30 oil and change it every 3500 miles, and rotate my tires every 3rd oil change. I try to do as much preventative maintenance as possible to avoid costly repairs. It's been a great car to me so far, despite some "spirited" driving and a few trips to the track.

driversside800x600xr0.th.jpg front800x600wh2.th.jpg img2305800x600ur4.th.jpg brakesvs1.th.jpg engine800x600ex7.th.jpg

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

so i own a '93 lexus es 300

and it has over 200K miles...

(i'm a student, mind you)

and the AC does not blow out cold air anymore...what should I do?

keep in mind that i have a very limited budget, as I am a student.

thanks!

1996 Lexus ES 300 Coach Editi

2+ Owners

$6,000 from Dallas, TX - Private Owner

Owned for 1 year

- Front Lower Control Arm- Sheared metal off- Allowed wheel to shift 15 degrees abruptly-

-Replaced for $35 (recycled part- did it myself)

- Valve Cover Gaskets (next weekend)

-$20 for gasket

-$75 for Intake manifold gasket

-Engine Ticking (will do next weekend)

-Must diagnose

-Think it may be lifters

- Will adjust valve clearance

I'm 22

• 2 weeks later...