Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

I am a new club member. I own a 2000 ES300 (purchased new) and was told by Lexus of Silver Spring, Maryland that my transmission is gone. It would cost $6000 for them to put in a new one but I understand it is really a rebuilt one. I do not intend to pay this amount for Lexus to repair and have sought estimates from other auto shops. The car has approximately 131,500 miles on it. Is it realistic that a 6-year old Lexus would need a new transmission? I know the miles are high but I have seen, even in this forum, that others have had cars that have more mileage than this and have not had to replace their transmission. I really never had the transmission flushed but recently, when I started having problems. Was that a mistake not to get regular flushes -- whatever that means?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, new to the forums.

1995 Lexus Es 300

Recently got it a couple months ago for $4,500

201,700 miles (and still rides very well)

Interior is wonderful (thanks Lexol)

All options (except heated seats, TN is way too hot for that)

Added a woodgrain kit for $142

Installed Satellite radio kit

Replaced all headlights

Getting ready to flush the tranny...sometimes the car gives a little push between 1st and 2nd gear.

Only things left to do are getting a chrome grille and fixing some interior lighting.

But the best part? $542 annual insurance quote. That's full coverage, and I'm only 19! :D

1998 ES300

Bought new July '98 (7 miles on ODO)

from Lexus of Richmond,VA

Currently at 44,000 miles

Cashmere Beige over Mica

43/male - Nationwide $650/yr comprehensive

Problems(?)

-first week we had car we told the dealership that the AC compressor was loud. They came to work, picked up car, replaced compressor and brought the car back to work. No Charge.

-No Other problems.

Modifications

-none

NOTE: We'd really like to get a new ES, but can't justify getting rid of this one!

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus ES250 1990

The 3rd out of 3 owners

Bought the car last March for 1300 dollars, but with title transfer and smogs and all of that crap it ended up being 1900 dollars. (was originally 1500 cept had a cracked radiator so he dropped the price)

I've had the car for almost 7 months and have had zero problems with it. I've changed the oil every 3k miles and have kept up with rotating the tires and everything.

The cars got 174xxx miles on it and still runs strong as ever.

I have a 2vzfe engine and a 5 speed manual. White and grey with a grey interior.

Mods-

Performance Exhaust $150

Short ram air intake $85

Kumho Tires $400

%15 Tint $200

O yea I'm 17 and live in Seattle,WA it's my first car and I love it to death haha, I've driven many many cars and even though its a 90' it drives smoother then some new cars. It just shows that you can never beat an azn car!

• 2 weeks later...

1997 Lexus ES300

97k miles, purchased for $7500 from Lexus Dealer

1 previous owner

Oyster Pearl, all options except heated seats cause Louisiana is way too hot for that.

It's my first car so I think it's absolutely wonderful to drive and have.

Problems:

1)Drain clogged and was leaking water in fornt passenger mat, fixed it myself and works fine

2)Currently replacing timing belt and water pump - $230 for parts, installing self

3) water leak in trunk and no clue as to where it is coming from

Mods:

1)none like it just the way I got it

• Like 1

I just got my first Lexus and its definetly not the end.

1992 Lexus ES300

Black with Gray bottom, with tan interior

Auto

I usually dont spend more than $1800 on cars but this car was MINT

everything including the dash gauge lights are all working like NEW

I had to choose from a 94 LS400 333000km needing about $500 and 20hours time to fix it up for $1600.00 or this 92 ES300 253000km needing $8 and 2hours to fix up at a price of $4500.00. Considering the car is for my sister I choose the MINT ES intstead.

paid $4500 CDN

purchased from private sale

previous owners: 3

Mileage: 253 000km

Repair history:

New brakes all around 2005

Dash lights and needles changed 2006

Rad changed 2006

Only thing car needs:

passenger side front window tint (peeling a bit)

drivers side tail light has some moisture in it

ONE brake light burnt out

Cloth over speaker on drivers door panel (coming off)

Other than the above noted the car is MINT

Future Mod's:

Rims

HIDS

Body Kit

Suspension (maybe, I hate the way these rear shocks die so fast especially when lowered)

(my 92 camry is already on its 3rd set or rear suspension)

thats all for now

• 1 month later...

White 1998 ES300 in April 2006

156K kms at the time, 2 previous owners, carfax clean. Paid $13,000 CAD (around $11.500 US), incl. taxes

The interior was in a very good shape, experior was 3.5/5 - one noticable scratch, a few minor scratches, minor paint flaws.

Thanks to the Lexus Owners Club, I was able to relatively easily fix all the little things in this car!

This forum is amazing! :cheers:

Repairs/Mods:

- Stereo LCD replacement DIY - part $160

- Tires -> Bridgestone Potenza G009, around $600. So far so good!

- Got rid of the trailer hitch as it would sometimes scratch the ground while on an incline (while getting out of our underground garage) - $15

- Spark plugs -> NGK Platinum - DIY

- New Battery

- Wiper blades -> "Reflex" type - $40

- Oil -> Mobil 1 Synthetic

- Brake pads (got it with some CHEAP, dusting pads) -> Wagner Thermoquiet - $125 per axle.

- Driver's side doorlock actuator - DIY - part $100

- Timing Belt/Water Pump/Drive Belts etc -> $500

- Air Filter -> $27

- PCV Valve -> $10

Items outstanding:

- Driver's seat warmer INOP. Passenger side OK, suspect dead heating element. I'll probably pass on fixing that - not worth it.

- Cigarette lighter stopped working as a power outlet - have to investigate.

- Transmission/Brake fluids change/flush

- Window tint -> 35%

- Full detailing (as soon as I learn how to do it properly!)

The car now has 177K kms. Runs excellent. I get a few squeaks here and there - some things needing oiling! Overall, I'm impressed with our first Lex! A very fine, balanced automobile, if you ask me.

Here's a pic.

side-small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a blue onyx pearl 2004 ES 330 w/34k miles on it a week ago for $24995 from McGrath Lexus Chicago. I am the second owner. As far as I can tell, it was a personal vehicle used on Staten Island before I got it.

It came with heated leather seats (ivory), heated side mirrors, 6 CD changer, HID headlamps and all the other normal stuff.

I love this car. It was hard to find any recent certified pre-owned ES 330s in this color. I only wish I could have found a 2005 or later that had ventilated seats. The only problem I've found so far is the front cigarette lighter seems to be dead...which I can easily fix. There are some minor dings all around and it would appear that after closer inspection that at least the rear driver side quarter panel has been repainted...grrr.

I'm 36 and full coverage insurance from Country Companies costs about $860 a year.

Tue 26 Dec 2006 $28 Installed new high beam bulbs: Silverstar 9005s replacing aged/yellowed bulbs

Tue 26 Dec 2006 $10 Installed clear license plate covers, front cover extra high strength - removed dealer's plate frames.

Thu 28 Dec 2006 $6 Replaced toyota oil filter with Purolator Pure One filter

Thu 28 Dec 2006 $20 Added 12oz of Auto-RX to engine oil

Still considering / upcoming stuff:

When the Auto-RX treatment completes, I'll switch to 5w-30 Mobil1 synthetic.

This car will soon need new tires. I thought about getting bigger wheels, but can't justify the cost. I intend to get Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's from tirerack.com some time this spring.

I looked into getting a better head unit in this car, but am finding no shops are eager to take that on, not with this very integrated dash. Looks like I might be getting a CleanSweep device to bring the speaker outputs to line level, an external amp and upgraded speakers, but this will need to wait until after my bonus comes in.

I got quotes for my favorite body shop to work their magic on some of the dings and less than stellar paint patches. This will run about $500. Not sure if I'll do it... it really looks quite good now already.

I am currently shopping around for a remote starter solution. Dealer suggests the AutoMate AM9 (a DEI product) for $700 installed. I am leaning towards the CompuStar 2WSS-AS for $525 installed (but the dealer won't do that install). Anyone have suggestions regarding the comparison between these two remote start solutions?

Thanks,

Bill

I bought a 1992 ES 250 in March of 2005 with 97,213 miles on it. In July my son borrowed my car to go to a golf tournament. He fell asleep with cruise on. (80 in texas) He ended up inbetween the interstate lanes approaching an underpass. He jumped the car from the top of the underpass across two lanes of traffic below and into the concret upslope on the other side. He walks away with airbag burns and a !Removed! nose. The tow truck guy says he sees more people walk away from Toyota/Lexus accidents than any other brand. I went out and bought the 1991 ES 250 that I drive today. I bought my daugher a new Camry. I am looking for an LS for my wife. I bought my son a bike!

Hello,

I recently moved to Pennslyvania with my 1994 ES300. I frequently travel between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg so I am looking for a trusted place to fix any car issues. Is your brother-in-law close to either of these cities?

Please send me a reply.

Thanks,

1993 ES300 5 speed manual.

Color: White

200,000 miles just a few days ago.

I have no idea how many owners.

The things that i had fixed and or problems:

Radiator = $110.00

Axel (the passenger side)

edited: 5/24/2005 I am now having the other Axel replaced (the driver side). I guess that i should have had them both changed at the same time, but it never crossed my mind at the time. :rolleyes: I know better now.

Battery = $60.00

Brakes = $200.00

Caliper = $155.00

edit: I now had the other Caliper changed (same price) and again new brakes in the back because the one was bad because of the caliper.

Front valve pan gasket 5/28/2005

With the Axel and the front valve pan gasket i paid $200.00

The lights are burning out on the gauges

Everything is fixed at my brother-in-laws Garage.

What the car has:

Leather seats

Heated seats

Gold package

6 disk CD changer

Spoiler

Car phone that is also on the steering wheel. (Not in use)

Insurance:

I pay $534.10 yearly. (edited 2/24/2006)

I have reductions for the air bag and Accident Free.

That is all that i can think of for now if i think of something else i will edit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm almost 19, Bought my 1995 ES300 3 months ago and it had about 160,000.

First Mod was removing my intake filter then put in some aftermarket fog lights, changed my grill to a custom made mesh grill. About a month ago i baked my headlights and took out the amber next day i baked my tail lights and took out the amber. Last weekend i changed my rear speakers to some higher wattage 6x9's with blue LED's

Planning on getting some IS300 wheels, lowering springs, and limo tints soon.

Future audio mods are a 7" monitor headunit, one maybe 2 12" subs and some blue LED lighted front door speakers.

Possibly a cat-back exhaust could be in the works...

My insurance as of now is hurting me like no other, at age of 17 I totalled my BMW, November of 2005 and it was my fault.. so now im paying about $2700 a year til im 21 which will be in 2009... :(

• 5 weeks later...

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

1997 Lexus ES300

2 owners

$5500

Just purchased it with 134,000 and in excellent condition..

Needed engine motor mount, pitted windshield replacement, shocks, and a full tuneup.. Did most of the work myself..

No mods

Age 39, AAA insurance

The car is nice and rides smoothe...Basically a glorified Camry...It is my put around car when not driving my modified SC400 and Toyota Landcruiser...

• 1 month later...

1990 ES250

4 speed auto

It is two-toned tan and darker tan outside and beige/brown inside.

I am the second owner.

I bought it for $3000with only 35,000 miles from a lady who lives down the street from me.

I have owned it since the summer of 2005.

A conduit under the dash for the air conditioning was repaired and the system was flushed and recharged with the new freon.

The tie rods were rusted through and replaced. Both the a/c and the tie rods were done soon after I bought it. I had the work done at a mechanic my dad is friends with. It cost me about 700 dollars.

The CV boots are bad and need to be replaced, but I don't think I will ever do it, plus there is still lubricant in them and they don't make noise.

The headlight adjustment screws are broken so I use plastic dividers from a tool kit to prop up the lights.

The radio's tape deck didn't work...I tried to repair it and activated the security code. Lexus wanted 50 dollars to give me the code, so I bought a new system from sound advice. I went best buy first but they told me (along with circuit city and brandsmart) that there was no kit that fit my car. One even surveyed my car and acted as if it was alien technology. I was told to go to sound advice for a custom kit and they told me I didn't need one. I probably should of jsut bought my own and installed it, but I was young and it was my first car and I wasn't thinking straight.

The cupholder had the same problem with the latch that seems to be common, where it doesnt catch anymore, so I removed the spring and set the cubby piece under the new radio back a bit more so I can use my finger tip to pull it out.

Oh and I broke both side markers on the head light trying to remove them to replace the bulb. Either I missed something or it is just impossible to remove them with out snapping off those two stupid tabs.

Also one fo my sisters backed into my car in the first week and the other one hit a parked car while driving it. so there is some rear bumper and tailight damage as well as some front bumper damage due to that.

I have modded the steering wheel with a rich corinthian leather cover at a cost of 10 dollars. Also, I didn't take car of it and became severly dry and cracked so I remodded it with a new rich cornithian leather cover for another 10.

I modded the 3rd tail light to display the word DRONE 1 when lit up. My sister's boyfriend got me into watching 24 and it's a joke about how often they used the words "drone", "Gredenko", and so on in one epsiode.

I fitted the driver's seat with a sweet black massaging pad to cover up the ripping. Then i had to remove the massging beads under the black fabrig beacuse they were digging into my spine.

I put a nifty little lighting gel over the clock. Now it's blue at night and unseeable during the day.

Serious stuff here.

I am 21 and my parents made me a deal that while I was in college, if I bought a car they would keep me on their insurance and pay it, so I am still riding on that.

• 1 month later...
97 es300, sage pearl, 75k miles, 1 owner before me :)

Leaking coolant from EGR cooler, thermostat housing, and leaking engine oil from rear main and oil pan. All done + both valve gaskets just in case (mechanic said they were about to leak) run me close to $1400 in total :censored: . Labor is what killed me, duh! :cries: Also replaced the radio LCD (DIY, $100 for the parts, thanks LOC B) ), done spark plugs ($160) and 60k service ($250). Need to do some detailing and maybe painting - both bumpers are scratched, as well as and front left fender + few dents in the front bumper and that fender ($????).:whistles:

Not to offend anyone around here, but why do some ppl use only caps? it's looks and reads ugly :chairshot:

Where did you find radio LCD parts?? .....I have problem with my radio LCD display on my 97 es300

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

95 ES300

3 Owner

New Radiator

New Hood Struts

I recently bought a 95 ES 300 with 198,000 miles. Everything is in great shape with the body. I had to buy hood struts and we put a new radiator in. The problem I am having is smoke. I know, I know its kind of a big deal, but we got a good deal on it. My dad told me he thought the smoke was from a valve guide in the valve train or a rubber valve seat. It is horrible but only at start up. It seriously looks like the pirates of the Caribbean when I turn the car on. My question is this, i do not think its a head gasket because I am not losing any water but it is almost drinking the oil. What would be the best fix,

1: Complete engine rebuild kit: which includes:

complete gasket kit

pistons and rings

main, balance shaft and thrust bearings

timing belt and

a set of expansion plugs

all for 475.36 online

or

just a gasket set for like 300.00 buck online?

What should I do and what is the downtime for something like these 2 scenarios

• 3 weeks later...

1996 es300, 255,000+ miles

two-toned black and grey exterior, black interior

# of owners unknown

paid $3,000 for it in october 2006

i've had it for around 9 months... so far i've done some minor exhaust and power steering work, new brakes all the way around, and replaced the battery.

2 directed 15" subs, a d1200 directed amp (i've got a d2400 waiting to go in), and a pioneer deck. about $1,000 worth of stuff, though i didn't pay that nearly much. thank god for having friends with hook-ups!

i'm 23 years old and i pay around $600 for 6 months just to make it street legal ( gotta love having points on your license ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

we bought our '90 es250 in june 07 to replace the camry that some *&^% hit while it was parked on the street one night.

the engine was in bad shape, turns out the block looked like hell and a rod bearing was toast. so we dropped the 2vz-fe from above-mentioned camry into it, and the trans since we knew it was in great shape and had fewer miles. couple better looking engine mounts, brakes, control arms, and the radiator/fan assy we just replaced in the camry also went in it.

so the car has cost us a total of $2000 (cost of car plus parts) and approaching 80 hours of labor to get it up and running. aside from the stuff i just listed it needed:

rack and pinion unit

buncha gaskets, seals, etc. since the engine and trans came out anyway

4 struts, coilover springs, mounts, all that suspension stuff

new RH headlight, the cheapo looking adjuster mount was broken

r134a conversion kit and a/c recharge

that's really it!

interior cleaned up real nice, but the driver's seat is in sorta rough shape. probably throw a seat cover on it for now. CD player security is locked up, and we're not in a position to pay lexus for the codes for it right now.

car is two-tone white and gold outside and gray inside, has 168k on it. engine and trans have 140k on them. we had the engine not leaking a drop of oil back before the camry got hit, runs like a dream. guy we bought it from said he was the second owner. couple little dings in the body but nothing major. i detailed the interior already, exterior needs a good clay job and some wax but it already looks damn nice for a car its age.

ES 300 - 2003

2 owners

$21,000 OTD, Lexus of Silver Spring (Maryland)

Less than 1 month, problems with (alignment, brakes/rotors, belts squeak, mirror virbration)

Lexus dealership in Maryland

2 weeks after purchase, Limited warranty 30 days or 1,000 miles

35% tinted windows all around, all season mats, 18 rims next April from tirerack.com

Age = 36, $1,224 a year