Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

i need some help with my 1997 lexus es300 shortly after i bought it i found out it was missing the o/d button and the entire cables of the fog lights. So my main question is any suggestions on finding those cables and how to install them.

Appreciate the help

• 3 months later...

2006 ES330

Certified pre-owned

$24000.00 roughly

insurance? I don't now how much?

repairs? Where do I begin!

I've had several Lexus cars over the years. What I truly USED to like was the fact I could simply trust the dealer shop, and generally, the shop was never necessary anyway! All that changed with the ES330.

So why did I move to the 330 from LS models? Well....downsizing is one answer, and besides I liked the styling of the ES over the LS at that time. We had always had such great results wth pre-owned (well, twice before this one) and the service was...wonderful!

The ES has turned out to be one of the worst quality cars I have ever owned. And I've even owned Chevrolet so that should set the standard? The car has numerous rattles inside the cockpit. Not all from the same place, not consistent from any one place, but always somewhere, there is a rattle! The transmission hunts for the gear it likes at various times.....disconcerting to say the least. Heat register coves pop off routinely. We put the back in place, a few weeks later they pop off again. The windshield wiper that senses rain? ^&*&$##* !!! It seems to randomly decide when, and if, it wants the windshield cleared. Often times, just pulling into the garage from a rainless night, it decides to clean the windows? Honestly, it's dangerous at times!

Now....the service. Well, I suspect this is simply a case of getting too big and not being able to keep up, or assumning all Lexus owners don't really care what it costs? I was informed the front end needed rebuilding. Loose, worn ball joints, etc. I got the quote from them......went to another shop I've done a lot with in the past and they looked, agreed the parts could be replaced, and quoted about half the price. I had them do it of course.

For the next several visits to Lexus, I was informed the front end was getting worse? On the third visit, I advised the service rep. that I had already had the parts replaced at another venue. No apology.....no explaination either. I was just informed the stearing hoses are leaking and need replacing......64,000 miles? I guess I don't expect that from Lexus. New brakes were needed at 35,000 miles......again sort of a surprise!

If these things really are wearing that fast, maybe I don't need to consider Lexus for the future. Maybe I'm just a bit miffed at this point because I though what one bought with a Lexus was quality, and assurance of a non-hassle interaction with the company.

What do you think Lexus?

David

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2000 es 3000 with 105,000 miles

pearl white

i bought this car for my mom about 3 years ago from first owner.

last year i replaced both a/f sensor both vvti oil sensor, timing belt all plugs and valve cover gasket.

two weeks ago mom call me about check engine light, i pickup car from here and after reading codes i get p1135 and p1155.

i was like the sensor already went bad only 13000 miles on them, i order new sensor and installed them clear codes and after a few driving cycles light came back again.

I have an 1999 ES300. Recenlty, I noticed that RPM's seemed higher than normal when running on the highway at speeds over 55 mph. AT 65mph, RPM's were in excess of 4000. It isn't shifting into overdrive. Confirmed O/D button was on. Brought car home, let it sit, restarted the next day and it idled fine, but when I stepped on the gas, it sputtered and acted like it was out of gas. VSC light and check engine light are on.

• 1 month later...

1994 es 300 paid 350 for car 2 months ago. heavnt had it road worthy yet new fuel pump and filter forgot the cost of part DIY new shox n struts same DIY new plugs autolite platinum $22 diy (had to remove intake to do it). problem i face is that cold it runs fine but once shes warm zshe bogs down n causes it to not shift/ pick up speed approprietly. any ideas? was thinking it was fuel/o2 mixture but not sure which sensor to try testing/replacing. no cel ever on

• 1 month later...

Hi: New to forum. Have 99 ES300 bought in 05 w\ 20K, now at 109K, Handling getting vage, not sure footed as used to be. Wanders a bit but doesn't pull right of left. Would like help on where to look first? Also, air bag light came on a few days after replacing AC compressor. Had batt. disconnected for several hours. Any tips on what kind of error may have caused? Once in a while the air bag light goes off normally after a startup. Could connector have poor conductivity somewhere?

Thx,

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

1997 es300

paid 5650 for it

has 133000 miles

bought in Pensacola, Fl

i pay 250/month for insurance. I'm 19, with a military discount.

I checked my oil tank the other day and found a hard build up...the oil it self is clean and the oil light isn't on.

Can someone please help me to understand how this happened or how I can fix it? Or better yet both.

What is wrong with my 94Lexus es300? What is wrong with my car?ok on yesterday I let a friend drove my car. Because I was completely tired from traveling and so I asked her to drive for me. She drove a few miles with my car in the wrong gear. The gear was in 2nd gear and not drive. So the car started to slow down the oil light popped on then the engine then battery lights popped on. Then it stopped completely. She tried cranking it again it didn't do anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2005 ES330

cost:$12,800 at Auction in Scottsdale Arizona

miles:60K

Insurance:1Kdeductible,$600yearly/State Farm -Safe Driver/Multi Car Discount/No tickets.

color: Silver Metallic/w gray enterior

I replaced: dogbone(upper motor mount) valve cover gaskets,gas cap, had 90,000 mile service at Lexus Shop/timeing belt,water pump,cam bearings. Been doing my own work since that. Runs sweet,rides well,has minor problem at present with idle down from cold start to desired RPM,adding pink 50/50 Extra Long Life antifreeze tomorrow as its low, I do think that will fix high idle. Having driver seat recolored and repaired by OEM comp. Fibernew, having widows tinted, want a black stripe to signify. The car is like new, and I am perfectionist,have had many, but this is a Gooden. I don't have transmission issues like many, I drive around town in 3 and on hwy 4/OD, it has NO rattles,knocks,is quite and lives up to Lexus reputation. It drives like a sports car,no room for error,thats rack and pinion and Im used to it. I am second owner and have maintenance record,the car was leased and maintained in Miami by Lexus. I Have had no problems,knock on wood, and do not anticipate any with proper preventative maintenance, and common sense. I also run summer tires, makes for very quite ride and is very performance worthy.I drive hard and retired hard.

• 8 months later...

1999 ES 300, luxury edition, owned 8 months now, third owner, bought it with 150000 on it, gold and silver all stock in almost perfect condition. It is a beautiful, awesome, great car my wife wants one and so does my two teen daughters they love driving it, I can't say I've done anything big except oil and lube stuff so far, the next car I buy anyone in my family will be a Lexus. Glad to be on the forum, cheers

• 1 month later...

Okay hi im new to the fourum well i just bought

a 92 es 300 3.0 automatic transmission with 180k miles on it it runs good

tempetaure is always perfect , just having some issues with inside problems

like my A/C. it was working well all of a sudden it didnt turn on , no lights , nothing .

popped the hood and checked the relay it was not good so i replaced it , still nothing :(

then my moon roof does not open completely when u press on the tilt button it makes a noise then prees up and down and only open a small part not even to half

need help someone !

• 2 weeks later...

My 2001 Lexus ES 300 developed an electrical "ghost". The car locks and unlocks constantly! The

key fob will not unlock the car and when I put the key in the door to unlock it, the alarm goes off and the

lights flash. It won't stop until I put the key in the ignition. While driving down the road or just sitting in

the garage, it constantly locks and unlocks while the car is shut off. No one in my town knows what

is causing it. HELP ME

• 1 year later...

1993 ES300 with 143,000 miles. I'm technically the 3rd owner. This car was purchased new by my grandmother who then sold it to my mother. My mom gave it to me as a Christmas gift in 2011. I love this car. It's comfortable, reliable, classically stylish, and makes me feel confident even when driving alongside the snobs in West L.A. The only issues I have with the car are the result if my mother not keeping up with the routine maintenance of the vehicle. It now needs expensive repairs in addition to the incomplete routine maintenance.

• 5 months later...

92 Lexus ES300 rare factory 5 spd standard trans

Original owner and 3rd owner (transferred to son-in-law for 6 months)

Purchased 3/92 at Bobby Rahal Lexus, Mechanicsburg, PA

Black with tan leather, seat heaters and all power options

325 K mi

Replaced clutch x 2

Replaced CD player under warranty

Replaced windshield x 2

Replaced gas tank after running over debris

Replaced oxygen sensors in "96

Never hit, head never cracked

Drivers leather seat needs replacement

Last started two years ago (bought newer RX350)

Stopped insuring it two years ago. Was about $500/yr

Not inspected, needs tires and battery

A great reliable car that gave great service.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1996 Lexus es300

217,000 kms (134k miles)

Sunroof, leather, CD changer (inop), sunroof Canadian cold weather package (heated seats, heated mirrors, block heater).

Maroon with black leather, aftermarket tint.

Purchased for $300 (yes, $300) in a private sale on October 17, 2015.

I am the third owner, but the second owner passed it around among his extended family (wife, daughter, son). Last driver was his son, who from what I can tell drove the snot out of it and did nothing to it for what I guess to be three years.

Just about everything works, except for the CD changer and the passenger outside door handle.

Replaced so far: front stabilizer bar links, front rotors and pads, PCV valve, alternator belt, front valve cover gasket.

One CV boot and one complete axle happening next week. Rear brakes soon.

Body has significant rust on outside panels and rockers, some of which is patches lifting from a previous, incompetent body job. Thus the $300 price. If the car serves me well this winter, which I expect it to, I will attack the body issues next summer and give it a new timing belt kit.

So far I am immensely impressed by how the car drives and I like the seats, though frankly I am a bit oversized for them (I am 6ft 4 ins tall). In particular I like the visibility from the driver's seat, which is a sore point for me on lots of modern cars.

If I keep it I will likely have it resprayed white or silver, as I dislike cars in any shade of red.

The heated seats are great and heat up 3x faster than my only previous car with leather heated seats (Dodge Magnum).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Lexus ES300, from 2002.  Been rehabbing this girl last 2 years from purchase with long time Toyota mechanic, and we recently hit the wall.  Always have had these codes and they get fixed for awhile, but always come back.

PO 330

PO440

PO 441

PO446

Replaced sensors, some 2 times, new battery, resetting fuses, checks of electrical, new engine, new computer, various other changes and parts.  My friendly little codes will not leave...

Right after I pay, she runs so smooth and mileage gets to around 25 with combo driving. One time I made it to 240 miles before the next code and I thought we were in the clear.  After the recent new computer, 13 miles and the same codes were triggered.   Im not giving up!  He might...

My thoughts are  perhaps IAVC / ISC is in need of cleaning, will find out about that from mechanic, or a vacuum leak he has somehow overlooked or did not test for.  

Gotta still pass AIMS in Ohio and its a hassle when spring comes for me!

Thoughts anyone...?

Thanks in advance...

• 4 months later...

2002 Lexus ES300 

Bot in 2004 milage about 30m today mi is 150,000

Today my problem is both rear windows will not go up or down from the effected window or the diverside main switch. 2nd problem is driver side window sometimes will not go up but half way. If I tap the switch ever few miles it will eventually go up. need help in fixing.

• 1 year later...

This car was purchased new in 2005 by my daughter. I got is from her two years ago. The  odometer now reads 228,000. Last year I replaced the front oxygen sensors and today I replaced the battery. Since the battery was replaced, the electronic ignition key does not work for opening and closing the doors and trunk. I realize that the key may need a battery, but there were no issues before the car's battery failed. If the ignition key needs to be reprogramed, how can I do it? 

• 2 months later...

I received my 2004 Lexus ES330 in 2018 from an inheritance.  I love it!  She has been good to me.  Haven't had to do anything major as far as mechanical.  Had to buy a new battery and alternator, besides that, just regular maintenance.

I recently converted my HID headlights to LED.  I am not sure if it was a pain because I didn't know what I was doing, or if it is normally difficult to do.  New caliper covers tires and wheels, a Kenwood aftermarket double-pin stereo system with Alpine amps and accessories, new black headlight assemblies, and all LED lighting throughout the interior.

That is about it:

Alternator: $150

Battery: $240 (Optima)

Caliper Covers: $250

Sound System: $1800

LED Headlight Conversion: $300

Wheels and Tires: $2500

Headlight Assemblies $300

Not too bad