Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

I'll start.

1994 Es 300 ,dark mettalic green with purple and brown pearls painted all one colour .

Just made 200 000 km on Saturday.

I pay $1000 a year insurance for full coverage and am 28 .

1 previous owner, bought in 96 from a Lotus dealer for $28 000 Canadian,has both options of the cd changer and sunroof. The cold weather package is standard in canada which is heated seats,mirrors,headlight washers and block heater.

I also pay for lexus roadside every year.

all prices mentioned are canadian.

05/98 replaced all bulbs on a/c, radio and gauges for the backlighting.

10/00 lexus replaced the motor mounts as it shifted hard,and all the wiper motors switches and everything else as it would not go back to rest position after the stalked was tuned off. Just after the 7 year/110 000 km warrenty time ran out.

08/01 Timing belt and water pump done from a Lexus tech on his time for $250 cash belt and pump cost $150 . 2 hours

09/03 power steering pump did myself , pump was $200. 4 hours

10/03 cv boot right side ripped ,bought a kit from lexus to replace all parts for $100. 3 hours

12/03 do tranny flushes every 50 000 km ( did it last week at walmart) $40. 2 hours

09/03 new dogbone engine mount redone in ureathane to never break again ( make them myself)

06/03 New power and ground wires and battery( optima yellowtop) made new wires with gold connectors and 4 gauge wires. 1 hour

Once a year i vacume out the interior temp sensor ,located below to the right of the steering wheel

that has some horizontal lines on it to remove the dust. It has a return air flow to suck interior air in and measure the temp.Never replaced the a/c filter as i don't have one an don't feel like wasting the money.

airbag light is on as i had a friend who though he knew how to remove the wheel ,screw it up. WHile i was working on the engine.

I use mobil one synthetic ( 0-30/40 winter) ( 15w 50 summer )for the engine and use an engine flush every 2 years, It keeps the engine well lubed and i have the least amount of valve train tapping i ave seen in a 1mz-fe engine ( camry or es 300 v6)

All the mods are in the link below for Cold air intake/ exhuast ,brakes, rims , suspension ,body kit , stereo , lighting , tv ,nokia in car handsfree kit and other upgrades.

• 1 month later...
List your model, year , # of owners, price when bought and from where

length of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

1995 ES300, unknown # of owners. purchased 12/01 at jm lexus (in-house certified preowned - 12 mo warranty) in margate, fl for $12,500.

power everything, premium stereo, sunroof, everything worked when purchased.

shortly after buying the car, the a/c stopped blowing cold and it was determined at jm service dept that the a/c dryer was defective. it was replaced at no cost ($1,700 if not covered by warranty).

the electric stereo antenna was damaged when i was filling tires with air and the hose put pressure against the base of the antenna. since it did not move up and down, i disconnected the wiring harness and left the antenna up so far.

o2 sensor at firewall died recently - replaced it myself for $150 part cost.

only other defects are: speedometer/odometer needles are losing the backlight; leather has split ~3" on driver seat and back of rear seat (don't know what to do about this yet)

only other part changes are yoko u-high performance tires and ge superblue low beams.

• 2 weeks later...

1993 ES 300 3 owners, including myself, originally sold by my hometown's dealer, purchased in May of 2003 w/126k miles for $5700

"stripped" --i.e. no sunroof, no factory cd changer, no heated seats, no gold package, no chrome wheels, and most unbelievable of all NO LEATHER!

I still love it though! Really nice black & gray striped interior, very sporty

No problems whatsoever with the car for the first 4 months, but around September of 03 radiator split-don't recall repair cost (DIY; only cost parts cost)

Then in December, realized that head gasket was blown. Fixed that for around $600 all told (gasket kit price, cylinder heads machined. once again, DIY)

Now I'm struggling with the transmission and has so far costed me around $1200 to fix, but it's not really fixed just yet...seems at this point to be a neverending battle but I think that's just b/c of the mechanic, not the car. I love my car but lately haven't been able to enjoy it for all the trouble I've had out of it. Just my luck I guess. B)

1995 es300 2nd owner

i paid 6200 US dollars last year (october)

problems: crazy blinking, solved by getting a new headlight (my old one has condensation inside of it) paid 150 shipped on ebay.com

a/c charged-$10 kit from walmart

cruise control problem- i can't fix it. i have no idea what's wrong (changed the actuator, but not fixed)

i fix it myself. but previous owners took it to Nalley Lexus for everything (i mean, everything)

mods:

pioneer deh-p6500mp mp3/wma player

infinity 605cs component set

lanzar vibe 430

audiobahn 12" in a bandpass box

cost- HU=210

infinity 90

lanzar 110

audiobahn + box 85

Phillips HID kit 200

i am 21 yrs old, my insurance is liability-$80 a month

Black 1996 ES300 Coach Edition

PreOwned Vehicle purchased @ 65k

Fixes..

f/r brake pads $200 diy/midas

Power Antenna $20 mast diy

Warped Rotors - Upgrade to Brembo's Drilled/Gold plated $200

Mods..

Complete Speaker replacement- Polk Audio/Kenwood

4 Channel Directed Elec. Amp

Sony M-series Head Unit/Sony 10 CD-changer (trunk)

Interior Dressed in Custom Chrome Trimming

Cup Holders in compensation for the Uselessness of the Current

(F/50)-(R/22) Window Tint

Custom Fit Mid-Range Spoiler

16" 02' Ls400 Chrome Wheels

1" Eibach Lowering Springs

Tokico Struts

Brembo Drilled/Gold Plated Rotors

Borla Dual 3"DTM Style Muffler

1993 ES300 5 speed manual.

Color: White

200,000 miles just a few days ago.

I have no idea how many owners.

The things that i had fixed and or problems:

Radiator = $110.00

Axel (the passenger side)

edited: 5/24/2005 I am now having the other Axel replaced (the driver side). I guess that i should have had them both changed at the same time, but it never crossed my mind at the time. :rolleyes: I know better now.

Battery = $60.00

Brakes = $200.00

Caliper = $155.00

edit: I now had the other Caliper changed (same price) and again new brakes in the back because the one was bad because of the caliper.

Front valve pan gasket 5/28/2005

With the Axel and the front valve pan gasket i paid $200.00

The lights are burning out on the gauges

Everything is fixed at my brother-in-laws Garage.

What the car has:

Leather seats

Heated seats

Gold package

6 disk CD changer

Spoiler

Car phone that is also on the steering wheel. (Not in use)

Insurance:

I pay $534.10 yearly. (edited 2/24/2006)

I have reductions for the air bag and Accident Free.

That is all that i can think of for now if i think of something else i will edit.

• 3 weeks later...

2001 Black Onyx ES300 (ivory interior)

- 2nd owner, purchased in April 2003 from a used corporate car dealership for $18,900 (64,000 miles at time of purchase). About 18 months later, I have put in over 33,500 miles of daily driving (work commute, weekend driving).

- This car has all the options except HIDs and AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension).

- As far as I know, this car has never been taken to a Lexus dealership for any type of service, not even for a 30K or 60K. I'm amazed how solid this car still feels, but eventually I will bring it in for the 90K soon (UPDATE: Just completed the 90K service in late April 2004). I plan to keep driving until the wheels fall off ;) :D

- Non-maintenance problems

1) May '03: Brake/tail light bulb burnt out (replaced myself w/ $3 Walmart bulb).

2) June '03: Charcoal canister went bad, resulting in CEL and TRAC OFF lights (Lexus replaced for $238, originally $575).

3) Aug. '03: Vibration on steering wheel when braking, so resurfaced F/R rotors (Lexus did it for $288).

4) Jan. '04: Two bulbs behind A/C unit burnt out (replaced myself w/ $4 Lexus bulbs).

5) March '04: Seat shield mount on passenger side broken (replaced myself for $60).

6) April '04: 'AUTO' function on driver's side window switch not working (Lexus did it for $465) :o

7) June '04: Rough/low idle at random times upon engine start-up. Problem was a faulty idle air control valve and MAF sensor (replaced under extended warranty). Later on, Toyota professionally cleaned up the throttle body for $85.

8) Dec. '04: At approx. 98,600 miles, dying transmission w/ hesitant behavior. Replaced w/ Lexus reman tranny (partially covered by extended warranty. Total out of pocket = $1,200) :o

- Modifications

1) Aug. '03: Debadged 'LEXUS' emblem ($0, one of the easiest and cleanest mods done yet) :)

2) Oct. '03: Installed extra wood trim ($161 purchase from Exotic Wood Dash).

3) May '04: Installed 2003 ES300 washer nozzles ($22 purchase from Lexus parts dept).

4) May '04: Replaced with Denso Iridium spark plugs ($78 purchase from Autozone).

5) June '04: Installed 35% smoke tint (4 windows), and 20% smoke (rear windshield). $159 plus tax.

6) Aug. '04: Installed '03 OEM ES300 wheels ($349 for the whole set from Ebay). This revives the look of my '01 ES :)

7) Oct. '04: Installed M-6 Polarg bulbs to the back-up lights ($12 purchase from Cardomain.com).

8) March '05: Installed Sylvania Silverstars to low beams ($34 purchase from Advance Auto Parts).

2002 LEXUS ES300 ALABASTER SILVER EXTERIOR/BLACK INTERIOR with

NAVIGATION

MARK LEVINSON

HEATED SEATS

AIR SUSPENSION

REAR POWER SUNSHADE

HID 8500K (upgraded for 150, sold old bulbs for 100)

LEATHER

SUNROOF

BOUGHT IN MARCH 19 FOR 12, 500 with 2680 MILES WRECKED

REPAIRED HOOD, 2 FENDERS, HEADLIGHTS, GRILLE, BUMPER. PAINT, NO ENGINE WORK, DROVE IT FROM OREGON TO WASHINGTON.

COMPLETELY REPAIRED COST 14000, SALVAGE TITLE.

NO BLOWN AIRBAGS.

UPGRADES..

8500K HID FOGLIGHTS 250.00

ALABASTER OIL TINT - 850.00

NICE CAR. IM POOR SO I COULDNT AFFORD A NEW CAR, HE HE, SORRY. BUT ITS LIKE NEW, I MEAN I ONLY KNOW ABOUT THE MINOR PREVIOUS DAMAGE.

• 2 weeks later...

1996 ES300 Green with tan leather

2 owners including me

Bought used with just over 50k miles in 2000 for $12,500

125k miles currently

Added Pioneer 12 disc changer (FM Modulator) last year (approx. $500)

Serviced by an independent foreign car shop

Problems:

1/ Recently a valve stem seal gave way. Smokes on start-up about once every 5 or 6 starts.

2/ Antenna has never functioned properly. Disconnected motor and left in 'Up' position. Cost to fix would be approximately $75 at a shop.

3/ Center caps on driver's side wheels rattle like hell.

No major repairs to speak of outside of a brake job (with rotor work) and replacing the regulator for the driver's side power window. That valve stem seal is going to run me about $600 when I take it in for repair, though.

• 2 weeks later...

1997 ES300 ONYX WITH THE CRAPPY GREY CLADDING AT THE BOTTOM

PURCHASED FEB 2 01 FROM ANTWERPEN TOYOTA IN BALTIMORE,MD

THE CAR HAD 44G'S ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT FOR $21K. IT WAS MY FIRST LUXURY/PERFORMANCE CAR AND I WAS ONLY 21. IN B-MORE "LEXUS" IS KINDA LIKE A STATUS SYMBOL WHICH IS PROBABLY WHY I WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT BUYING IT. I WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS BECAUSE I AM YOUNG AT THE CAR BUYING GAME. IT IS LIKE A PSYCH CONTEST. THE CAR CAME WITH HEATED SEATS, LEATHER, A MOONROOF VISOR WHICH I RIPPED OFF (TOO MANY CAMRY'S HAVE THEM). AS A DISAPOINTMENT TO ME, MY BABY (NAMED ALEXUS) WAS IN A TERRIBLE FRONT END COLLISION IN JUNE 01. SHE WAS IN THE COLLISION CENTER FOR 2 MONTHS TOTALING $14G'S. I WAS MISERABLE ALL SUMMER. UP TO DATE I HAVE ABOUT 130G'S ON THE ODO NOW

MAINTENANCE:

09/01 CHANGED FRONT BRAKE PADS AND NEW ROTORS (METROMOTORWORKS IN COLUMBIA MD) THEY DID A GREAT JOB. $365.00 B)

12/02 90K SERVICE PERFORMED ONTHE CAR. HAD THE TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, ACCESSORY BELTS, ALL HOSES, THERMOSTHAT, NEW TIRES AND TIMING RESET (METROMOTORWORKS) $1,100.00 :cries:

07/03 NEW BATTERY (WAL MART) $65.00 INSTALLED MYSELF

MODS:

18X8 ZENETTI MYSTIK'S WITH NANKANG TIRES

7000K NOKYA H7 LOW BEAM LIGHTS

2800K NOKYA H3 FOG LIGHTS

K&N AIR FILTER

BREMBO CROSS DRILLED ROTORS

PROBLEMS:

DRIVER DOOR HANDLE BROKE WHILE OPENING THE DOOR ON A RAINY DAY. MY HAND SLIPPED FROM UNDER THE HANDLE AND THE HANDLE SLAMMED AGAINST THE DOOR BREAKING THE HINGE. HAD IT REPAIRED AT LEN STOLER LEXUS IN OWINGS MILLS FOR $375?????????????????? :censored:

EARLIER THIS YEAR I TOOK THE CAR TO METROMOTORWORKS FOR A TPS SENSOR ERROR $69 FOR THE SENSOR AND $60 INSTALLED.

LIGHTS ON THE DASH ARE SLOWLY GOING AWAY INCLUDING THE ENTIRE LIGHT ASSEMBLY ON THE SHIFTER. I CAN'T SEE THE DISPLAY AT NIGHT. GOOD THING LEXUS PUT IT ON THE DASH TOO.

SEAT HEATERS NOT GETTING HOT (JUST NOTICABLY TAKING THE COLD AWAY)

THIS RE-OCCURING PROBLEM WITH THE WAY THE CAR IS RIDING. IT SEEMS TO FEEL LIKE I AM RUNNING OVER A BUMPY ROAD AT TIMES BUT THE ROAD CAN BE VERY SMOOTH. NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

THOSE PROBLEMS ARE MINOR AND CAN WAIT TO BE FIXED. I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT THEM YET. I AM 24 YEARS OLD AND i PAY ABOUT $2G'S A YEAR FOR INSURANCE (FULL COVERAGE) I WAS YOUNG AND DUMB BUT QUICKLY GREW UP AFTER SEEING ALL MY MONEY GOING TO MY BABY.

FUTURE MODS:

HOPEFULLY CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS (ORIGINALS FROM WHEN THE CAR WAS BUILT ARE STILL RUNNING STRONG)

NEW SUBWOOFER (I GOT A GREAT TIP FROM THIS FORUM ABOUT AN IMAGE DYNAMICS 8" SUB FOR THE BACK WINDOW)

ROCKFORD FOSGATE 351M AMP

NEW SPARK PLUG WIRES

IN THE PROCESS GETTING THE LITTLE STUPID PROBLEMS FIXED.

• 3 months later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

Purchased a 2004 ES 330 from Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly Virginia, a suburb in Fairfax, Virginia. I have had several Chrysler Vans and enjoyed the ride and feel of the van. This car was a replacement for a 2002 T/C which was sold to another person. I road tested BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Acura TL and several other high end (front wheel drive) manufacturers. After each test drive I was drawn back to the Lexus. The final straw was when my company's buying service came back with a price that was downright irresistable. It was purchased for $27,000.

Color is Black Cherry Onyx

Equipped with:

Mark Levinson Sound

Sunshade

Navigation

Stability control

Plus all the options that are found when these are added. I did not purchase the height system on advice of the dealer. I also did NOT purchase the satellite radio function.

Car was purchased in May, 2004 as a new car. My Pohanka experience was excellent and I would recommend them to anyone.

It has been a FLAWLESS car, one of the most enjoyable driving and riding experiences I have ever had. Passengers riding in the backseat say it is fabulous. The rear seat A/C is great and the sunscreen are excellent plusses for anyone riding in the back seat. Everyone talks about the comfort, ride and feel of riding in the back!

This is the quietest car I have ever owned or been in.

The automated wiper system is excellent even in driving drains. It has excellent turning radius and excellent in curves and on tight roads in West Virginia mountain passes. Acceleration is also excellent. I am impressed with the ergonomics and placement of controls. The Nav system is clever, intutive and lt seems to learn my "best routes". My only complaint is that strong sun coming in from the side windows will bleach out the image somewhat and tilting does nothing to prevent this from happening. Only a sun visor would be of any help.

The audio system is also better than average, plays my MP3 files without any problem and the auto sound compensation is a blast to use. The radio sensitivity is average to good and I find the FM is better thn the AM.

My only other complaint is the front drink holder is not low enough and when a med sized cup is in it, your arm will easily bump into the drink and cause it to spill. I am hoping that Verizon Wireless will soon adopt Bluetooth so that I can use the hands free cell phone option, but as this date (July 29, 2004) no deal has been struck.

The car has averaged 21 mpg around town and I get 26 mpg on trips. Much better than many of it's compettitors. Its 3 months old and I have driven it for 2000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

* '93 ES300

* 1 previous owner

* purchased in 1998, it had ~ 45,000 KM (27,000 miles) when I got it (still had that new car smell!), I paid around $20K CDN - I traded my tired '92 ES300 + cash on this one.

* purchased @ Tony Graham Lexus in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

* It has 165,000 KM (102,000 miles, more or less)

This is my second ES300. My first, a '92, had a lot of miles on it when I bought it in '94 - so it was quite cheap initially. My present one, a '93, was on the dealer lot when I had my '92 in for service one day. Took a test drive - made a deal to trade. This one was like new when I got it. Dark green metallic, black leather interior, CD changer and all the other Lexus "goodies". This car has been awesome, very reliable, comfortable, and great for long trips. It has been to South Carolina a couple of times, to PEI, and made many long boring cruises down the 401 between Montreal and Windsor.

As an ES300 owner for more than 10 years, I have seen some common problems crop up on both my cars. They occured at similar mileages, too. Here's a short list of some maintenace items I've encountered:

- Gauge needles burning out. I know "they all do that", but I still find it annoying that Lexus persisted with this flawed system for so long. The dash really looks impressive when you first start the car - but you're soon looking at flickering, hard to read gauges every time you drive the car.

- An alarming "grinding" noise when accelerating on the highway. Sounds like your transmission is about to fail, very disturbing. I spent a lot of time and money trying to find out what the problem was on my first ES300, I thought it was a serious transmission problem (the dealer did, too). It's actually a dust shield between the trans and the engine block contacting the ring gear on the flywheel. The transmission has to come out of the car to fix it... and the problem will re-occur anyway. The area of contact is very small and doesn't do any damage if left alone, which is what I have done with my present Lexus. In my opinion, this is a design fault that Lexus should have corrected - but they don't want to hear about it.

- Front exhaust pipe failure at around 150,000KM. One of the flex joints in the front pipe fails. The entire front exhaust pipe, from both banks of cylinders, must be replaced at a cost of around $600 CDN. The flex joint alone can't be repaired. I expect to have to replace exhaust components in any car at some point, but t seems a shame to have to scrap a perfectly good exhaust pipe just to replace a failed flex joint. The rest of the exhaust system seems very robust, no other problems with exhaust on either of my cars.

- Brakes. Again, I expect to replace brake components since they are by their nature "consumable" items. They work by generating heat and wearing away. But rear brakes in particular have needed far too much attention, IMHO. The shoes in the handbrake system are outrageously expensive for what they do. In fact, dealer cost on brake components and labour to change them is really out of line, again IMHO. I wrote Lexus a letter on this subject after my last brake job, done at a Lexus dealer for $1700 CDN - and that did not include repairing the handbrake. The estimate for that was an additional $600, which I passed on. If your brakes need attention, go to an independent shop for an estimate before laying out big ca$h to the dealer for brake repairs. Come to think of it - that's good advice for any kind of maintenance.

- Power antenna problems. In short - expect it to break from time to time. Dealer wanted $350 to fix it (replace the entire power unit). I bought an antenna mast from a Toyota dealer for $45 CDN and did it myself. Some dealers will tell you the Toyota antenna won't work - but it will. This one fit my '93 ES300: Part # 86337-06010 for Camry V6 (same year). It will probably work fine for any '92 - '96 ES300. I had to cut about 5 or 6" off the end of the plastic that retracts into the motor so the antenna would go down all the way. Very easy to do.

- Tire wear. The rear tires on both my cars wear more on the outside edges of the tread than the insides (or is it the other way around? don't remember...). Yes, I have checked alignment (many times), rotated tires, tried different brands of tire, etc. etc. It seems that "they all do that".

Other than these items, both my ES300's have been quite trouble free. I would buy another one, except that I will keep my green '93 until it totally falls apart. I have to replace rear struts and the rubber boots that protect them soon. Two dealers quoted prices of $175 - $195 CDN for each strut, $70 for each boot, plus labour to install, plus tax, plus, plus, etc. I called Autopak (an auto parts supplier in Canada, they can supply rear struts for $78. Boots are $22 per side. I'll buy them later this week & post a "review" of the cheaper parts on the message board. I will also need a new radiator soon... more adventures in car maintenance to follow!

Tim...

• 1 month later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

1994 ES 300

Originally my Aunt's car since purchased new, I've had it since 10/03

I got it with 73K miles, now has almost 105k miles

SERVICE

I've done all service at Putnam Lexus, Redwood City CA

5k mile service is $209.00 USD which entails diagnostic check and changing the fluids

The Antenna Mast broke and the plastic part needed to be changed: $185 at Putnam Lexus ( I know SK Performance, I just read your FAQ on the ES and now I know I probably could have done this myself for about $30 for the little piece of plastic.)

I just took it in for a 105k service ($457.16 USD). A 15k mile service. They changed the engine oil and filter, element inspect int. & ext lights, inspect brakes, adjust parking brakes, balance frt tires, inspect tire pressure, inspect for fluid leaks, battery load test, tire rotation, road rr

parts 97.10, labor 350.00

After that 105k service they found that both the left and right cv boots were torn. Price to change them is 480.00 each side. Almost a G. I guess I'll just pay it. I really love this car. I also have to get new rear brakes b/c they are at 3.0mm and need to be replaced at 2.0 mm. New rear brakes cost about 380.00.

The car runs like a dream. 1994 must have been a great production year for the ES. I've had virtually no problems. The above services seem to be normal wear and tear for a 10 year old car. To be on the safe side I stick to the deaership. I would like to start working on the car myself but I don't know how to.

I'm 24 and pay about $1100 in insurance for this car.

• 4 weeks later...

99 ES300

- 2 previous owners came off lease,

- car had 150k when i got her back in august 04 for $9,400

- car is onyx with tan leather interior, with all the options except for seat heaters and avs, dont really need those heaters in florida.

- car has been extremely reliable thus far 153k so far and only the oxygen sensor went and that was my fault since i ran over a piece of wood and it knoked into the sensor breaking it, besides that no complaints what so ever.

- i installed some sylvania silverstars($50), flushed the tranny at 152k and change the oil every 2500 miles($199 at lexus of kendall).

- im going to take this car another 150k miles, with lotsa love and care.

- im just going to buy some new mikeys since my bak tires r pretty worn out, and get some ceramic brake pads when i do my brakes in a couple of months, besides that nothing else major i can think of rite now

im 23 and pay 1200 a year for liability insurance only, full would run me about 5gs in miami, crazy aint it

First time Lexus owner! Purchased 1994 ES 300 last month. Never owned a foreign car before (unless you count the VW beetle-baja that I owned for 2 weeks as a teenager...) Champagne exterior with tan leather interior. 95K miles.

2.5 Owners (first owner traded it in to dealership, second owner bought it with intention of letting their son drive it. Once they determined that cost of insurance + cost of loan >$800/month, they had his license revoked and I bought the car from them 35 days after they bought it...they put less than 300 miles on it)

Paid $6,700 for it (right at KBB). Only probs with it are two burned out needles (speedo and temp), one of the headlights was yellowed out/dirty, and both license plate lights are burned out. everything else works perfectly!

Not a ding on it, the paint is perfect, interior looks brand new...feels like I just bought a brand new car! Nobody I know that has looked at it can believe that this is an eleven year old car...

Clean CARFAX history, took it to three mechanics before I bought it (ok im paranoid...Caveat Emptor), appears that the dealership replaced all the brakes and all hoses were brand new, no mechanical issues whatsoever...only thing was that the coolant was somewhat "brown".

This car has the quietest running motor ever...while I was test driving it I tried to start the engine twice while it was running...

Am planning on taking it to the lexus dealer to get the oil changed and the coolant flushed. Am hoping to get a copy of the service history at that time also (should had done that before I bought it but they were closed the day that I bought the car). Will let the lexus dealer service the vehicle as long as I can afford it...

Cleaned the headlights with Meguiars car cleaner-wax about three times and that took the yellow almost completely out of the lens...thanks for that idea...saved me from trying to bake those lights and disassemble. Replaced all the headlights with Sylvania Silverstars...again thanks for that idea & recommendation.

Still researching the needles and how I want to fix that. The taillights...looks like I will take both of them completely apart and replace every bulb in them. Does anyone have a good lead on replacing these bulbs with LEDs? Otherwise, I simply plan on keeping the car 100% stock.

BTW, I bought the car simply to drive to and from work. I am a firefighter and live only 5 minutes from my station. Will probably only put 4,000 miles/year on this car. Lives in my garage on my days off...I joke that I will let my 10-month old son have the car when he turns 16...well see if it makes it that far.

I'm 35 years old and I'm paying $688/year for full coverage.

Anyways, been using the site extensively to research and fix any of the little issues and look for potential issues. Thanks for all your input! Hope that I will be of help here in the years to come.

Plan on replacing my 1999 Chevy Silverado LT for a Lexus RX300 next year for my wife...

DKRC-2003

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/ES/IMG_9613

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/ES/IMG_9612

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/ES/IMG_9608

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/ES/IMG_9617

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I bought a 2002 Lexus ES300 (silver with grey leather) with nav and fully loaded (only thing i didn't find in it was a cargo net!) from a private owner recently with 32k miles on it for about $17k. Sound real bargain right? The catch is this car has a rebuild title due to a flood history. However I got it fully inspected at the local Lexus dealer who said the car looked 'straight'. He checked the underside found no 'salt' deposits (it could have been involved in fresh water flood). All systems (including the electrical) seems to be working fine with no warning lights or anything. OBD scan did show a flood history code but according to the dealer they can be cleared once I get it to them for the 30k maintenance service ($600). Just a few scratches and the key problem I've mentioned on another thread. The warranty though has been voided by the company. I've always dreamt of owning a Lexus but couldn't afford the sticker for a new one or even a CPO. Ordinarily I wouldn't take a chance with any vehicle with flood history but having faith in Lexus build quality, I decided to take the chance. Its a big (pure pleasure) jump for me from my current Plymouth Breeze!

So far it's been great. Now I want to use some of the money I saved and load it up even more with remote start and a dvd player. Would appreciate any advice from anyone. Any remote start brands to recommend? Is the 30k ($600) maint service from the dealer worth it?

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

1992 ES300 w/ 184k and running strong

Shadow Rose Quartz (the name sounds cool) w/ a tan like interior don't know Lexus' name for it.

-All options except for heated seats

-Purchased May 2003 for $4000 from private owner (knew the guy so he gave me a deal on it)

-2nd Owner

-car has been very nice to drive (amazing on how this car is different as far mannerism goes compared to the Camry, yep i have a '92 Camry too)

Only problems I had was:

*the rotors were shot causing the car to shake when braking (it's fixed now!), *engine hesitates a bit when the engine is cold

*it has some small oil leaks at the valve cover gaskets, oil filter adapter o ring, and distributor o ring. going to get those fixed soon by my mechanic.

*has a creak/clunk noise in the front

*need to recharge the a/c.

-Luckily i don't have to worry about the transmission, was rebuilt in early 2003 and the timing belt was done at 180k. overall the car is running great.

-i let my mechanic do most of the major work on my car and i go to Lexus of Serramonte, Colma CA for just the basic oil changes since my mechanic charges kind of the same price.

-i plan to install the xenon kit that i've seen other members install in there ES, other than that i just plan to keep it stock. maybe i may want to get the chrome version of my factory wheels (probably not). going to upgrade the plugs to iridium when i get the 60k service done soon.

other than that i plan to drive this car over 300k miles if not more. :)

-Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

1995 ES300 purchased on 8/1998 at Lexus dealership non-CPO w/ 47k miles (@$19.9K w/ 2 yrs extended warranty)

_35% tint (local legal limit) on 6/99 @$140, K&N filter installed on ??/99

_CEL comes on&off on 9/99 at Lexus (code for shift solenoid-possibly going bad) @$65 diag check Advised to continue driving until CEL stays on consistently

_Replaced starter on 11/00 DIY @$160 after core trade-in Autozone

_New windshield on 4/02 @FREE insurance covered, deductible covered by windshield shop :D (something metal on the oncoming lane smacked the windshield while driving home from work :censored: )

_CEL again on 4/02 code P0770/P0773 at Lexus (replaced shift lock E transmission solenoid at Lexus) @$444 ($126solenoid&gasket+$32ATF fluid change+$252labor)

_Bent antenna mast after drive-thru carwash on 10/02 @$104 ($58parts+$38labor) Didnt start reading LOC until 10/04 :chairshot:

_Replaced timing belt,water pump,antifreeze,drive belts,&alternator belt on 8/03 at Lexus @$800 ($250parts+$525labor) 131K miles at time of change :whistles:

_All-around new pads&rotors and both half-shaft front axles relpaced on 8/03 at Firestone @$861 ($500parts+$324labor) Lexus wanted $840p&l pads&rotors, $270p&l torn left frt axle boot

_Installed Alpine CDA9811 MP3 head unit (tired of going to trunk to change cds & bulbs/LCD going out in radio unit) on 12/03, single 12in sub in bandpass box w/ Kenwood amp on 3/04 (rear 6x9s were weak in bass), 2-way Polk Momo 6.5 door speakers (Xmas gift), 2-way FM remote start alarm system (will coexist w/ factory alarm) on 10/03

_CEL again on 3/04 (P1035 O2 Bank1Sensor1) at Lexus @$280 ($146part+$121labor) Next time www.sparkplugs.com $90 DIY!

Asked them to check sources of oil leaks after seeing minor droplets on driveway (gave est. $555 F&R valve cover gaskets, $665 rear main seal - DECLINED) After inspection they also gave me a list of maintenance jobs to be considered.

_Due to oil leak changed F&R valve cover gaskets and also fuel filter, PCV valve, spark plugs(OEM platinums) at independent mech shop on 10/04 @$340 ($92parts+$236labor) Read above what Lexus wanted.. No more leaks, rear main seal never leaked!! avg 300 miles/12gal refill Chevron 93octane as of 12/04

_CEL again after valve cover gasket job while driving car home <_< code P0401 (insufficient EGR flow) Replaced EGR air flow/temp sensor @$180part free labor by same mech shop Problem solved!! (See thread)

_Oil changed every 4-5kmiles w/ Castro Syntec before valve cover gasket job.. now back to dino Valvaline MaxLife after job. Switched to Mobil 1 synthetic every 6-7kmiles on 11/04 (Toyota oem oil filter)

_Installed cabin air filter DIY 10/04 @$45 www.lexus-parts.com (new info $35 www.sparkplugs.com)

_Added SSilverstars (formerly used CoolBLues) & front strut bar on 11/04 DIY

_Transmission service (pan dropped,filter cleaned,fluid changed) @$60p&l on 12/04

_Changed dogbone&front motor mounts (completed on 12/04 @$150parts) no more hard shifting/clunking R-N-D

_Motorvac/fuel inj & throttle body cleaning (completed on 12/04 @$85)

_Replaced bulbs in hvac (completed Lextech.org on 1/05)

_New struts/springs all around (KYB struts&mounts/Eibach Prokit & 4wheel alignment on 1/05 @ $260labor)

_XenonDepot HID kit installed DIY 4/05

_Wet-sanded my yellowed headlights on 5/05 (1500grit sandpaper, 3M rubbing compound, Meguiars PlastX then wax). Meguiars PlastX will offer a temporary 3-4weeks solution if done alone.

_CEL on 8/09 (P1031 O2 Bank1Sensor1) Denso 234-4622 $51.60 shipped & also changed dogbone torque engine mount again ($35 local Advance Autoparts) - both DIY install. OD = ~235,000 mi

_2nd timing belt, water pump, cam and crankshaft seals replaced @$580p&l Paul's Automotive on 9/6/2011

Alternator replaced @$133part after core exchange and $80labor Paul's Automotive on 9/6/2011

Mileage of car @~267,000

THINGS TO DO:

_Replace sway bar bushings

_Transmission fluid drain&fill

_Antifreeze flush/drain&fill (12/05)

_Power steering & brake fluids siphon&refill

Edited by khhoang

Purchased new 2004 ES330 in Dec '03 for $35K from Rohrich Lexus in Pittsburgh, PA.

Mark Levinson Sound/DVD Navigation package

Stability control

And the other options that come with these...

Car is now 11 months old with about 11K miles on it.. Have had no problems whatsoever with the car and have had nothing but maintenance items (first 2 done by dealer for free, subsequent will be done my me or by jiffylube).

I have been very happy with the features of this car. The details that Lexus pays attention to are what sold me on it. I especially love the automatic wipers, mirror dimming, remote window opening, and sunshade.

My only complaints are:

- Nav system "Agreement" screen every time car started

- Transmisison sluggish

- Cup holders not "tight" enough to hold cans or tall cups

I recently found out that the Nav system supposedly can accept a microphone and will do voice recognition.. still researching this. Also, confused on whether this nav system does bluetooth?

Car: 92 ES300

MODS:

ENGINE--

custom 2.5 in" exhaust system straight pipe with a little bend at the end so that it wont stick out in the middle of ther back but to the side... High Flow Cat with Ractive Muffler with silencer..Custom Headers,MSD 6AL, NGK spark plug wires, Denso Plugs, Custom Cold Air Intake with K&N Cone Filter, Port and Polish Head, All Synthetics Fluids, Blue Dress up vacum tubings and various others, 2 cycle battery

ROLLING GEARS--

18x7.5 Racing Hart C2 rims with Toyo Tires.. Drill Cross Rotors with Axis Ultimate Brake pads, Sprint Lowering Springs with Sprint Struts, Sprint Rear & Front Camber Kits

BODY: Custom FiberGlass Lips, Front, Sideskirts, Rear, APR wing, Custom Eyelids, HID kit. Strobes All Around: Front Headlights & Rear Taillights, Black Housing Headlights, JDM Side markers, Shave door handles with Door poppers,Black Paint Job, Custom Made Fiberglass Hood with EVO8 style Hood Scoops, 1000 color Underglow LED kit.

I.C.E: too much to list

Had a accident with the car the other day and push in my front bumper plus the front

support or the frame by a little, busted my right headlights because the frame was pushed in on the right side a little in the front so the headlight pop out of place and the plastic support for it broke, Some dumb lady slam on her brakes too hard and i couldn't stop because of the icy streets, had snow tires with studs on but that didnt help, hit her in the back pushin my front bumper in along with a little bit of the frame and busted my fiberglass hood. Car is now garage not driving it till summer, will do the fix in the summer.

I had this car for 3 years now, i would like to think all the auto shops that help me with the project, too many shops to list, thank my grandpa for taking the time to find and order me parts. Altho the aftermarket is small for these cars. :cheers:

Sorry forgot to add pricing for parts.. overall investment put into car is 50,000 USD

Second Owner- bought it for 10,000 USD from Next door neighbor had 30,000 miles on it stock

repair costs were 3,000 dollars in timing belt and fluid changes with all new belts and paint job because of scratches. and new head gasket.

All repair jobs done at LExus Dealerships

Age 25 insurance per month is 350 dollars because of MODs

**USE THE EDIT FUNCTION TO ADD TO YOUR OLD POSTS**

Edited by SKperformance

ES300 1999

103000 miles

3rd owner

$9950, Dallas, TX

Have owned it for one month without really any problems. Made the mistake of filling up with the motor running and set off the TRAC and CEL lights.

Just bought a left blinker bulb, $2.99(for 2 bulbs)

Was certified at a Dealership in Ft. Worth, Sewell Lexus

Also bought an extra CD cartridge for net cost of $6 on ebay. Bought 3 for $36 +S/H($10), sold 2 for $40 +S/H.

Thinkin about a nav system. Too rich though

34 and $379.10 eveery 6mo.

• 1 month later...

ES 300 1996 ex Singapore

My first and last Lexus .

53225 kilometers

$NZ 16,000

Reg Jan 17 2005

No tow bar, cell phone or roof devices. Too old for TV Navigation.

Comprhensive insurance cost less than NZ$ 400 for a year because I am old, 56, and 65% no claim bonus.

One year registration and the cost of inclussion on the motor vehicle register = $370

First trip, from car yard to home was three and a half hours two mountain passes 280 kilometers returning just over 10 kilometers per litre 96 octane. This is probably the hardest work the car has ever done in its life.

It was a cheap one. Probably about 60% of normal local retail. You have to be reminded that second hand cars in New Zealand have only a commodity value. It does not matter how up market they pretend to be. Our market is flooded with Japanese Imported Second Hand vehicles.

The mileage is low but supported by the Logbook. Proof that maintenance to preserve warrantee is very expensive where ever you are; there are 5K and 10K services separated by twelve months and very few kilometers.

When it was new in Singapore it was pre delivery checked in January 1997. That salesman assisted the export to NZ to his brother from whom I bought last week, so it is second owner officially. Before I collected the car the car sales had the rocker box gaskets replaced because that was the only thing that they thought might go wrong in the immediate future. There was no sign of leaking. How unlike normal car sales behaviour. We even were given two remotes with the keys. Also out of character for car sales.

I will collect cost of ownership detail to share for comparison with other L O C locations if you want.

I did 216 kilometer of into and out from town driving to work and test driving by family and it has taken 21.6 litres to top off. This was not ecconomical driving. I would guess that when the car is used for our transport needs we will average better than this. 12 kilometers per litre might be tops though.

Graeme

Edited by G & C Johnstone

1998 ES300, Gray, Purchased with 63K miles for $15K. I currently have 98K miles on the vehicle and have not had any problems at all. I had the 70-75K mile

service performed on it by Lexus. Cost $900 and they gave me an RX330. Beautiful automobile but much to small for me when it comes to SUVs. At 98K miles on my ES I will try to plan on having the 90K mile service (replace Timing Belt and all other belts and also the recommended water pump). Will try to get pricing on having the shocks replaced although as I have learned via this informational site this may be costly.

Rtyson

InStlMo

<_<

1994 ES300 Special Edition (or so it says on the floor mats)

Pearl White

Premium Sound (for what it's worth) W/ 6disc changer

IMHO, this car is a lemon. 3 out of 5 stars for reliability in Consumer Reports is not great for a Lexus. My grandmother bought it new, and had all service performed from the dealer at proper intervals. Always garaged, and never commuted. Never used the sunroof (bad move).

I got it from her at 70K. 6 months later, capow! The left axle drops at 55MPH. Mechanic says it looked like an aftermarket axle. From the dealership??? at under 70K??? My mechanic managed to fix it for $350. It took out the ABS sensor with it. Didn't fix it right away, and then it decided to take out the adjacent sensor $800 job. Bad short? Anyway, month after that and the sunroof breaks. I found that it had been missing two brackets. They didn't just dissapear, because the screws were still in place! Did the dealer decide that my grandmother didn't need the parts? Dealer told me the wanted $250 just to diagnose the problem. That same week my antenna overdosed on Viagra and won't come down. It just sits there and whines the motor for 30 seconds before it gives up. Oxygen sensor goes out. Left turnsignal started blinking faster. The typical dark needle problems. Bad alignment causes me to burn through $300 worth of tires, and possibly some wheel bearings. Sounds like I'm riding on mud tires or something. Now I have an intermitent power issue. Sometimes it takes off, other times I floor it, and it barely accelerates. It's like a friggen stubborn mule.

Yeah, I'm a bit harder on my cars than most people are, but most of my cars last a very long time, because I also take care of them. I service them when they are supposed to be serviced, and not just when they need to be serviced. I've owned and shared over 12 cars in my life so far, and have never had so many problems in this short ammount of time. I think its time to buy American again. At least the parts and service are cheap. I understand the Ford Focus is more reliable. Maybe I should get one of those. I get the fealing that my car was assembled on a hot Friday night at 5:00pm and the workers just wanted to go home. My Mustang never gave me this much heat, and i drove the hell out of it.

• Like 1