Erratic Antenna 93 Ls400

LSshadetree

I have a 1993 LS400 I bought last year and the antenna wouldn't fully extend. I just bought a new Lexus antenna and had it installed by a competent mechanic. It fully extends, then retracts the second to last section which ruins my reception.

I never watched the old but I suspect it did the same thing. My mechanic said he installed it three times and it did the same thing each time. The original owner doesn't remember ever having it replaced. Can anyone help me with this? I searched the old threads, but didn't find this particular problem. Many thanks, Carson

I have a 1993 LS400 I bought last year and the antenna wouldn't fully extend. I just bought a new Lexus antenna and had it installed by a competent mechanic. It fully extends, then retracts the second to last section which ruins my reception.

I never watched the old but I suspect it did the same thing. My mechanic said he installed it three times and it did the same thing each time. The original owner doesn't remember ever having it replaced. Can anyone help me with this? I searched the old threads, but didn't find this particular problem. Many thanks, Carson

Mine will do the same and adjust it's hieght to the station strenght. It will usually go down a bit more when it is on an AM station. Try changing stations and see if ti adjusts itself in height.

Jeff

Mine will do the same and adjust it's hieght to the station strenght. It will usually go down a bit more when it is on an AM station. Try changing stations and see if ti adjusts itself in height.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I tried AM then FM and it does adjust, but for some reason my reception is still lousy. Maybe you or someone can help with that. Thanks, Carson

Mine does the same thing in my 95 LS400 - i have to say that is one of the strangest features iv'e ever seen.

Do you get good reception? I have good station signal strength here, but the scan feture won't pick up almost anything. I have to manually search for stations and they generally come in weak. Carson

There is an "auto antenna" black box which not only controls the antenna height but I believe also has an amplifier to provide better reception I think it is located in the same area as the antenna.

Thanks Steve, do you think it's an amp. attached to the antenna motor, or connected to the main system amp.?

There is an "auto antenna" black box which not only controls the antenna height but I believe also has an amplifier to provide better reception I think it is located in the same area as the antenna.

Thanks Steve, do you think it's an amp. attached to the antenna motor, or connected to the main system amp.?

Steve, I didn't read your post well. I'll look at the area next to the motor for the black box. Thanks, Carson

• 1 month later...

I removed and replaced the bolts holding the CD changer and bracket and the reception got much better! I'm going to try cleaning up those areas that contact the body and then put dielectric grease on those points and the bolt threads to see if there could be a better connection. Thanks for all the replies!

I replaced my antenna on my 94LS a few years ago, and it works great. But the "Scan" button catches about 2 stations total. And I live 10 miles from downtown Las Vegas, and underneath the main antenna base on Black Mountain. So I think it may be a glitch, a minor one, as you said, since we can set the station manually. Best of luck.

I replaced my antenna on my 94LS a few years ago, and it works great. But the "Scan" button catches about 2 stations total. And I live 10 miles from downtown Las Vegas, and underneath the main antenna base on Black Mountain. So I think it may be a glitch, a minor one, as you said, since we can set the station manually. Best of luck.

That was my problem until I reinstalled these bolts on the CD changer and bracket! I can only think that it was a ground problem. A couple of bolts showed corrosion.