Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

SKperformance

We own a 1999 RX 300. We are the second owners of a former lease vehicle. When we bought it it had 42K now it's approaching 75K miles. We just had an oil change, and oil changer was sloppy and spilled a bit of oil and it's been burning off as we drive. Now the check engine light comes on, which is puzzling since we just had a 65K service done by a toyota dealer. The car runs fine except it knocks a little bit during hard acceleration. Can anyone give us some clues of what may be happening? Does that light just come on when a service interval is approaching or should we get it checked again?

Have you checked the oil level to make sure it has the full 5 qts.? Something is very wrong. The only 'sloppiness' one can have with oil changes is from changing the filter, the position of which was designed by a Japanese sadomasochist. Some (not much) oil spills down the side of the engine every time I change it, but I have rarely smelled anything thereafter, and when I did, it was gone within minutes. If, on the other hand, it was not put on tight enough, or worse, the mechanic cross-threaded it, then it would continually spew oil and you probably would smell it all the time. You should also have big oil spots where you normally park it, and by now it may be close to being out of oil.

As for the knocking, that may be bearing or wrist pin knocking due to LOW/NO OIL! Unlikely to be gas knock because timing is computer controlled to maximize it for the gas you put in it (which can be ANY octane, despite what some dealers tell you) without knocking.

Their problem was knocking under hard acceleration only. That sounds like a fuel problem, not a bearing or wrist pin. A low or no oil condition serious enough to knock a bearing would light the oil pressure light, not check engine.

The computer does not "maximize" timing for the gas that you put in. The computer retards the timing for regular gas (and there's a limit to how far it can be retarded). That's not optimizing. Timing has been optimized for premium gas. Retarded timing can cause ping/knock when the engine is being stressed plus your gas mileage can go into the toilet. Gas below 87 octane will definately cause knocking.

As for the knocking, that may be bearing or wrist pin knocking due to LOW/NO OIL! Unlikely to be gas knock because timing is computer controlled to maximize it for the gas you put in it (which can be ANY octane, despite what some dealers tell you) without knocking.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2001 RX 300 with a noisy exhaust.  The dealer told me the noise was coming from a spring in the exhaust but they want $200 to fix it.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.  The dealership is Larry Miller of Lindon, Ut.  I am the second owner of the car.  Car has 50,000 miles on it.

I noticed on mine that the metal tab that the factory uses to bolt it to the line was to close to the muffler vibrating against it then sending the noise down the frame into the cabin. I think they bend this so you can't see for aesthetics and got it o close? It is thick metal so a big hammer will be needed. 

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

RX 300 2001 - I have a real big friggin problem!!!!! Trans is screwed up. I pulled away from a stoplight and felt something pop. It then shifted very slow and when I had to stop and go again it had litterly had no power as if it was taking off in 3rd gear or the torque converter is not working slipping or something! I bought used and read in the manual that they have a lifetime no change for the trans fluid. I thad 72k on it and now has 99k. I thought about changing anyway. I should have now that I have read that the dealers have been telling people to have it changed at every 15k. Damn, I wished there had been a Service Bulletin. I am very mechanically inclined and frequent a freinds shop and they never told me anything about a problem or heard of any. This is going to be expensive!!! 3k? - 4K Shiot!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine Broke too. Same scenario. Bought it for 75.00 from a bone yard CA and install myself. Was not easy. I think it was Rhino Auto parts. they sell on e-bay too. The L on the Grill adds about 40% to the price. Try a latch from a Toyota Highlander?

I came here today specifically looking for a thread like this. I am so unhappy with my dealer right now I could scream. Long story short, EVERY time I take it in for something that should be warrantied, they try to tell me it's not covered. I have the 100,000 Certified Lexus Warranty and currently have 76,000 miles on my 2000 RX300.

The latest is weird-the HANDLE on the back hatch broke! I did not do anything to it-one day I tried to open it and it just jiggled-kind of like when it's locked. So I take it in and it takes them 90 minutes to tell me that the handle is broken and they need to order a part. And that they called the Corporation and it is NOT covered under warranty. AND it will cost ME $423.00!! I am so stunned. I paid extra money for this vehicle so that I would have the certified warranty. I could have purchased it from a non-Lexus dealer for much cheaper, but thought I would have better coverage by going through THEIR dealer.

We called Lexus and "Raul" told us he'll speak to his boss and get back to us within 2 days.

I am seriously considering NOT buying another Lexus because there are only two dealers within a reasonable driving distance from me and this is BS. Plus this stupid dealer once again did NOT have a loaner for me so I had to sit there the whole time.

I am thoroughly disappointed by this and hope that the corporation will help me out. Otherwise I know for sure I will NOT buy another Lexus. I'll be in the market for a new SUV within the next year, and I'll tell you, right now the BMW is looking mighty nice.

VERY DISAPPOINTED IN LEXUS OF BROOKFIELD, WISCONSIN

Jill

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that. Folks tend to only complain on forums, not login report total satisfaction. I just bought a '04 RX330, and we are learning to live with it. It was the practical choice for us, however, practical doesn't necessarily equal fun/soul/driving experience. My wife doesn't care for the fwd feel, she prefers the BMW feel. However, I like the reliability, and the infrequent trips to the dealer.

Just bought my RX300 and from what I have read I might have made a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

2005 RX330 AWD bought in Danvers, MA for about $40K in Dec 2004. I have about $15K miles on the car now.

Problem 1 - Car would lag at certain speeds. It would brought back to the dealer and said that it was a common problem on the car. I am not car savy but think it is the transmission problem a lot of ppl are having problems with. Anyways, they "fixed" it but honestly, it didn't do much. Obviously it was covered under warranty, so no cost to me.

Problem 2 - Driver seat track made noises. The dealer replaced the tracker and again, at no cost. The problem was fixed.

Problem 3 - Headlight turning sensor did not work, the AFS light would flash at times saying it was off. Brought it to the dealer and they replaced the whole sensor at no cost. The problem was fixed.

Problem 4 - Rear would make a thumping noise everytime I went over a bump on the road. Brought it to the dealer and the noise could not be duplicated. They decided to take everything off (spare tire, tools, etc.) and tighten everything back. This cost me $60 for man hour I guess. I have yet to hear the thump.

As for maintanence, it has been quite expensive. I bring my car into the dealer for the 5K oil change and it would cost $150 but for the $15K check up, it cost me $500! I was quite surprise at this and next time will ask them about the cost and tell them to only replace and change things only if it is necessary to keep my warranty.

Overall, I am happy with the car but a bit disappointed with all the problems I have seen within a year of the car. I had a higher expectation of Lexus before this but still think it's one of the top brands out there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

;)

I have an RX300 year 2000 and for some reason whenever im driving it sounds like I have a flat tire and when I speed up like on the highways my car starts shaking a lot!! I took it to some place to check it out and they said I need to replace my back passenger side rotor??? Im totally lost, how do I know if this is true. I think I may have hit a curb a couple times, would it mess up the rotor? Please help me :cries: Thanks!!

Check the motor and transmission mounts. :)

• 2 weeks later...

;)

I have an RX300 year 2000 and for some reason whenever im driving it sounds like I have a flat tire and when I speed up like on the highways my car starts shaking a lot!! I took it to some place to check it out and they said I need to replace my back passenger side rotor??? Im totally lost, how do I know if this is true. I think I may have hit a curb a couple times, would it mess up the rotor? Please help me :cries: Thanks!!

Check the motor and transmission mounts. :)

Since you "may have hit a curb a couple times", might want to check if your wheel is bent.

• 3 weeks later...

RX 330 purchased 7-10-2004 from Wilke Lexus, Devon PA. last 6 VIN 030515.

I have tried to ascertain whether this car has a suspect brake booster; I am told by another dealer that ALL 04 RX330's have the booster problem; I am told by Wilke Lexus that there is a cutoff date by VIN after which the boosters are OK, and that any new booster would be identical to that which is in the car. Since this car is being driven by my daughter 50 miles per day (commute) I would like to be assured that she won't have a problem with the brakes.

I owned another 04 RX, which when I took it in to the dealer (Prestige Lexus) for a recall, he told me he was keeping the car, and gave me a loaner because of the booster problem . He said he had at least 13 more RX's with the same problem. I subsequently traded in that RX for a GX (Jan 13 of this year). What is the real story with the brake boosters?

Move to Atlanta and you won't have these brake problems! I have three Lexus cars here in Atlanta and we have had no problems. I lived in Beverly, MA for two years several years ago and had several brake problems but these were on a Porsche. Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Have someone check your engine and transmission mounts. I had a similar problem on my 94 Q45 and motor mount replacement fixed the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

2000 RX300, one previous owner, $26000 in 2001 from Lexus of Colorado Springs. So, that makes it just about five years of ownership. Got 90k miles, mostly from driving CO-FL about five times. Transmission went out last year... $4k from the dealership. Timing belt, water pump, and I believe tensioner? went out about two months ago, that was $750. And now, supposedly, I've got a 'spun connecting rod' which will cost $6k to replace (an entire new engine).

If anyone knows a cheaper fix for the connecting rod than a whole new engine, please shed some light on me.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I bought an as-is warranty-free Lexus RX 300 model 2001 that has 95K May 31, 2006. The salesperson at the dealership (Edmond Kia in Oklahoma) stated that it had a 128-point check but on August 17, 2006 our transmission went out. We went to the dealership to complain about this and to ask for compensation ($4300) but they refused. Is there any other recourse besides paying out of pocket?

also does anybody know where to fix it besides lexus or toyota dealrships because both are expensive

they also told me when i asked about the price of a new transmission, that there is no such a new one...all you can get is a rebuilt one...is that sound right?

thanks a lot

RB :cries:

Same problem...Funny that's what happend to my wife...same senario

i have it now in a transmission shop called fleet tansmission...they are going to charge me 3K to fix it

a rebuilt transmission.

tell me more about it please :censored:

RX 300 2001 - I have a real big friggin problem!!!!! Trans is screwed up. I pulled away from a stoplight and felt something pop. It then shifted very slow and when I had to stop and go again it had litterly had no power as if it was taking off in 3rd gear or the torque converter is not working slipping or something! I bought used and read in the manual that they have a lifetime no change for the trans fluid. I thad 72k on it and now has 99k. I thought about changing anyway. I should have now that I have read that the dealers have been telling people to have it changed at every 15k. Damn, I wished there had been a Service Bulletin. I am very mechanically inclined and frequent a freinds shop and they never told me anything about a problem or heard of any. This is going to be expensive!!! 3k? - 4K Shiot!!!

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

2000 RX300

2nd owner

bought Sept.,2003 for $27,000 w/44,000 miles

Lexus Certified Used(well worth the extra $$$ !)

from Lexus of Richmond, VA

Problems:

'04: Emissions Sensor bad - caused "Check Engine" light to come on - cost $0 (covered under Cert. warranty)

'05: Fuel Management Sensor bad - caused loss of power, poor acceleration, felt like transmission was slipping - cost $0 (covered under Cert. warranty)

NOTE: When I asked the service rep how much it would have cost without the warranty, he said, "Mmm - You don't want to know." - YIKES!!!

'06: Idle-Air Control bad - car would not idle or start without putting foot on gas - cost $0 (covered under Cert. warranty)

NOTE: service rep said would have been $450 without warranty

Comments:

My RX is one of the best cars I've ever had! Yes, even with the problems. Although I DO wish it was as good as my wife's 1998 ES300, bought it new over 8 years ago and we've NEVER had anything done to it other than scheduled services - flawless!!

Scheduled Service:

FYI:(If you like saving $$$$$ !)

If you're in the Richmond, VA area, you should try Richmond Import Service.

I love the way I'm treated at Lexus of Richmond, but DANG they're expensive!

A family member turned me on to them(R.I.S.). My 70K(I think) service was going to be $575 at Lexus of Richmond, and at Rich. Imports it was only $120 for the SAME EXACT service!! You don't get a loaner, but shoot, for over $400 difference I can deal with it. My 5K services are $70+ at the Lexus dealership and only $35 at Rich. Imp.

In case you're worried ( because I asked this question myself ) all of their technicians are Lexus/Toyota/Scion FACTORY certified.

If you're in Richmond it's: Richmond Import Service at 11004-H West Broad Street in the Innsbrook Autoport Complex. It's beside the Tai Garden Restaurant, if you know where that is. Their number is:

804-290-4222.

I know this sounds like a commercial, but these guys are THAT good, I don't work for them, REALLY! LOL!

About a month ago i purchased a 1999 RX300 4wd with 66k miles on it.

I noticed a loud exhaust problem with mine and took it to a shop, where they had told me that i have a possible cracked exhaust manifold but they are not sure.

After reading all the posts on the exhaust i'm hopnig that it is not the manifold.

Also noticed it was sucking more gas then my 2001 BMW 740i M package and M engine, a 4.4l 385hp engine.

My 740 was swallowing 17-19mpg while on the data screen the lexus gives me 16mpg, also guessing it could be the cracked manifold, but personally i'm outraged!

Sometimes i get slow excelleration, and other times the car just launches, but i deffinetelly do feel loss of power in the engine.

If anyone has any ideas please do suggest before i start picking the mechanics brain on this issue.

:chairshot:

Sounds like the fuel management sensor that went bad on my 2000RX. Mine was sucking gas and had poor acceleration. It was worse in hot weather or when the car had been running for a long time. Service rep wouldn't tell me how much $$$, mine was covered by Certified warranty.

• 1 month later...

I am a new member to this forum. I have a 2001 RX 300 with 65K. About 2 to 3K miles ago it started to idle (I called it growling at first) with a rumbling noise every 15 to 30 seconds. The tachometer shows some movement during the brief rumbling; it just makes a slight rumbling (I hope that word is more helpful than is growling) noise for 2 seconds then goes back to a normal idle. I would swear the car 'lurches" at slower speeds, but I am not sure if it has always driven the same way. I've mentioned it to several people and have come up with various explanations -- bottom line my Lexus is not happy and is trying to tell me something.

I figured one of you "auto guru guys" have come across this conditon before. I'm at a complete disadvantge having no skill in these matters further complicated by the fact that this is my first Lexus. Soraya

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like your AC compressor cycling, it might be low on R134 which could cause some noise. Mine cycles and it is noticeable as far as the sound and idle increase but I consider it normal for this size engine.

Do you have a reliable garage there in Houston? I've only had my car for a month but I was able to find two garages here in Dallas by running a search here and at clublexus.com, you might have the same luck for Houston.

I would have someone check your coolant level in the AC system, that's definitely the least expensive place to start. :D

Same problem...Funny that's what happend to my wife...same senario

i have it now in a transmission shop called fleet tansmission...they are going to charge me 3K to fix it

a rebuilt transmission.

tell me more about it please :censored:

To all of you with tranny failures make sure you file a complaint with the NHTS board online, You will need your vin number. Complain that you felt unsafe when it failed. HAVE YOU FILED YOUR COMPLAINT WITH THE NHTS BOARD ONLINE?????????????????????????????????????????????

• 1 month later...

I purchased a 2005 Lexus RX330 from JM Lexus in Margate Florida on 11/18. It was sold with a Lexus Certified warranty, as well as a 3mo/3kmi 'EVERYTHING' WARRANTY, which my salesperson told me at the time of purchase would 'cover any damage to the vehicle in the first 3mo or 3,000 miles'. Just weeks later, on 12/8 as I drove my daughter and granddaughter to Disney World, the engine began to steam. It was towed to Lexus of Orlando who refused to repair it under warranty claiming that a piece of the reflector from the road punctured the radiator to the air conditioning and it would cost me about $1000 to repair. I wrote an email to my salesperson at JM Lexus who called me and told me not to worry--I needed to drive my car back to JM Lexus and it would be repaired for free under the EVERYTHING WARRANTY I had been sold at the time of purchase. Later that evening I was called by his manager (who was very rude and demeaning) and who said that my salesperson was mistaken when he told me the repair would be covered under the EVERYTHING WARRANTY, calling what happened a 'accident' involving road debris. He insisted that I drive my car into JM Lexus. I was left with no car for the vacation, but when I retreived my car from Lexus of Orlando I drove it to JM Lexus with no air conditioning. I turned the car in and after JM Lexus (who finally gave me a loaner). They had it for 4 days. Then I was advised it would be repaired only if I paid more than $400. When I responded that I would not pay for the repair as it was covered under the EVERYTHING WARRANTY, the used car manger became very rude again accusing me of not fully reading the print on the back of my contract or other paperwork implying that it limited the coverage provided by the EVERYTHING WARRANTY. Well, I had read the paper work that I was given, including the fine print on the back of the sales contract and there was no mention of the EVERYTHING WARRANTY except the promise on the front that the car was purchased with a 3,000mi/3 mo EVERYTHING WARRANTY. There were NO exclusions to the warranty anywhere in the paperwork. Nonetheless, JM Lexus demanded return of the loaner car, which they picked up immediately. JM Lexus has refused to repair my car, refused to honor the EVERYTHING WARRANTY, taken back the loaner and refused to give me a refund. I have now begun to file complaints and research the issued and note that on file with the NHTSA is an identical complaint in respect of 'road debris' allegedly damaging the radiator to the air conditions with respect to the 2005 Lexus RX 330. In addition, I was advised by an independent auto mechanic (as was the complainant to the NHTSA) that there is a design flaw that is the ultimate cause of the issue as the grill should protect the radiator from items such as refelctors and small pebbles normally found on road surfaces. I am also now informed that Lexus has, since the 2005 RX 330 model, changed the design of the grill to prevent this issue, illustrating knowledge of the design defect. In any event, whether the issue is a design defect that would be covered under the Lexus Certified Warranty, or not, the EVERYTHING WARRANTY should have covered it.

• 3 weeks later...

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

I have a 99 Rx300. I purchased it 3 years ago from a friend who had it serviced at the Lexus dealer. I now have 140,000 miles on the vehicle. The only problem I've had was the Idle aire control valve which I corrected myself by using this site. I've had no problems with the transmission or the engine. It has been an excellent vehicle. I've found that getting some things done at the Toyota dealer was less expensive than the Lexus Dealer. I'm sure they are as competent.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like tires out of balance. You should be able to balance all tires for about $20. Best wishes, Norman