Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

SKperformance

Purchased a used but near excellent condition 2001 Rx300 in October of 2008. Only problem I can report is a strange habitual failure of the Front Passenger Power Window. I've just replaced the power motor for the third time. The first time was about 6 weeks after purchasing. The second was shortly after that for which the Parts company replaced at no cost. While waiting for the second motor to arrive, I checked the master control switch. This seemed to be defective in reverse mode (going up). I replaced the Master Switch when I installed the second motor. In June of 2009, the window started acting up again, rolling down with no effort but, going up, lagged to a point of stopping halfway up. With a little patience and more time, I was able to coax the window to a closed position.

I finally got around to replacing the motor for a third time. Trying to avoid a "fourth" motor, I would like to troubleshoot. Window will go up and down with no labor at this time. There's the ever present problem of the window going up all the way and then coming down halfway. I've tried the suggested route of resetting the computer numerous times, with no success. I have noticed that the motor feels hot to touch after just one use and, it seems it stays hot until I disconnect from the master switch or turn off car for a little while.

If the car had other problems, I would consider trading in but, the Lexus runs great otherwise.

P.S. All other windows have worked with no problems from both the master switch and their own.

• 2 weeks later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

I have a 1999 Lexus RX300 and all of a sudden the windows quit working and the A/C won't come on and also the yellow marker lights won't come on.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi I own a 1998 RX300 AWD I bought it new and it has done 80000 miles now.

I have been having problems with the transmission so I had it rebuilt however it does not change into 4th (Overdrive) when its cold and when I shift it into manual mode the M is flashing indicating an error.

After 10mins of driving if I turn the the car off and on again the error dissapears and the car will change in the 4th gear as per normal.

Does anyone know what this error code is ??

I have changed all the fluids so this is not the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the transmission rebuild cost me $4000 and the problem is still not fixed.

Jon

LS430, 2004

2 owners

$29,000 from private owner in Indian Wells, California

Owned the car for 20 months

Problems: Tire pressure indicator light is on all the time. :angry: Not yet repaired.

No modifications

Age 70, insurance cost is $500 per year (we have six cars)

• 2 weeks later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

RX 330 2006 46,899 miles

22,000 Napelton Motors, Lansing, IL.

August 09, slight pull from the right passenger wheel, and the CD player was full of Cd's that would not eject.

Everything was still under warrenty , except for new wipers, $24.00 at Lexus of Merrillville

So far so good.

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

RX 330 2006 46,899 miles

$22,000 Napelton Motors, Lansing, IL.

August 09, slight pull from the right passenger wheel, and the CD player was full of Cd's that would not eject.

Everything was still under warrenty , except for new wipers, $24.00 at Lexus of Merrillville

So far so good.

• 1 month later...

Did you happen to notice if your RPM's were way up??? That happened to me when heading out on a trip, I have a 2000 RX300 and about a half hour into the trip I noticed the "Pitch" of the engine was wrong, slowed down and was better, sounded like the car was "racing" - well it wasn't going into overdrive - it was the oxygen sensor.

This is very expensive to repair - and I feel my Melbourne Lexus dealer really ripped me off - worse the 2nd time - when I had an oxygen AND a knock sensor done - I no longer will go there for anything, especially will not buy my 4th lexus from them!! They charged me $3500.00 for the two sensors - installing my "Free" ya right tires and some misc. items.........I was shocked at the bill.

I usually drive just the 12 miles round trip to and from my office, in town driving, so I believe this problem had been happening off and on - but of course, on a long trip it did not go back and remained with high RPM's the whole way - very long slow trip home.

Hope this helps,

I have over 92.000 miles on my 2002 RX 300, and have had only a few problems or mysterious occurances.

1. When the weather is cool (around 60 degrees), and the engine is cold, I sometimes cannot fill my gas tank above 3/4 full. This happened more often in January and February than any other month, and was more noticeable this year than last. Usually, I can fill the tank up all the way on the next trip to the gas station.

2. I've seen several posts about mysterious clicks and squeaks behind the dash. I've confirmed that the problem is with the AC fan by turning off the air flow. (I live in Louisiana, so I run the AC year round.)

3. In April, I was unable to get the vehicle started this afternoon. The service rep told me this has happened with other RX's, and it usually does not repeat. It hasn't.

4. Unfortunately, I got hit with a bigger problem on the interstate last night. My vehcile felt like the accelerator was trying to get stuck when I started decelerating. When I pulled off and put it in park, the engine started "rev"-ing like I was trying to gun it. (My foot was nowhere near the accelerator at the time.)

When I started the vehicle this morning, the problem was still happening, so I took it to the dealer. They can't get the problem to repeat. They are keeping the RX overnight to try again in the morning.

I understand that fixing any kind of intermittent problem is very difficult. If anyone has experienced anything similar, please post the cause and fix here.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been browsing this and other sites to find solution to the VSC, Check Engine Light problem on my girlfriends 2001 RX300. I found that this site seem to have a good knowlege base and the members are quite friendly, so I joined it to take advantage of some of the resources that are not granted to a guest.

One problem that I find curious on the gf's RX300 is the non-fucntioning interior courtesy lights. No, I have not read the owners manual yet. I keep threatening to do that, but the gf is too distracting.

The surpising thing I found is that the Lexus has as many problems as any other car or light truck being sold in the US, although not a serious but just as annoying. I bought a Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel engine in 2004 and had ZERO problems with it except when someone attempted to steal it. That cost me $1600 to replace the ignition transponder, 2 keys, and a premium Viper alarm (added after the fact).

I am still working on the VSC, CE light problem but I haven't exhausted all the cheap possibilities yet. My problem is the car is 30 miles from where I live and I only get to see it on the weekend. I am going to check the vacuum line to the air cleaner tonight. Thanks for the insight folks.

Ron

List your model, year , 2001

# of owners , >2

price when bought and from where ?

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs. > 1 year, regular maintenence

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy). Jiffy Lube

When it was done. At regular intervals

Any mods done to the car and its costs. N/A

• 2 months later...

2000 RX300

110,000 miles

Have faithfully had all the maintenance done with it since day 1 at the dealer in Beaverton, OR except for one oil change at Albuquercue and 3 other at JiffyLube when on the road. Tran fluid has been changed every 15,000 miles. Dealer says they've never cleaned the screen on the trans though or actually flushed the transmission.

Had some major work done last year, something with gaskets and seals on the engine (don't have the receipt nearby so if you want more details, let me know).

Now transmission seems to be failing, but the dealer's diagnostics show it's fine. Will slip and chug when cold in the morning going into first. This week, wouldn't do anything when trying to backup. I could go forward a foot to the curb, punched the ECT and power traction button off and on a few times, then it finally moved in reverse.

Dealer says not to worry and to sign up for AAA. Like that's gonna help if I'm on a trip out to eastern Oregon or Idaho someday soon.

We bought an '04 RX330 FWD 18" wheels, black on tan interior w/birds eye wood trim. We bought it in feb'05 w/17K on it and now have 25k.

1. Dash rattle. (Full TSB performed were they take off the dash and insulate the mounting clips. solved the problem)

2. Both visors replaced due to defect in flip up motion of vanity mirror.

3. Rubber exhaust hanger broken. (replaced by dealer)

4. Brake recall performed (switch changed by dealer)

5. Cup holder cover mechanism was sticking. (unstuck by dealer)

6. Injector ticking (yet to be serviced)

7. Hesitation (yet to be serviced)

8. Passenger side wind noise i think (yet to be serviced).

All service and work done at Lexus of Bossier City LA

I too have a 2004 RX330 with performance package. I have a rattle from the dash as well that is driving me nuts. I also have a bit of a ticking sound at idle and wonder if that is the injector as well. Otherwise, I love the car!

Vehicle: 99 RX300 has 74,000mi

Purchased: 6/12/03 w/12,00mi

Dealer: Bobby Rahal of PGH

Current Service Performed by "ME"

Problems:

Since the car was relatively new, my wife and I decided we wanted to have all work and maintenance done by Lexus, BIG MISTAKE!

1. Dec "03", CEL MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR and air fuel ratio sensor bad Cost: $800.00 @ Rohrich Lexus of North Hills.

2. Typical oil changes.

3. May 2004. The straw that broke the camel's back. We were having some brake problems and needed the car inspected. Drove it to Rohrich Lexus of North Hills. Received a phone call telling us that the brakes were bad, front rotor and caliper was bad. Also, to pass inspection the catalytic converter had a hole in it and should be replaced. The estimate was...$1,300. I told them not to touch the car and that I would be over to pick it up. They recommended I do not drive it. I told them I drove it there, I'll drive it away. Took it to a friends garage. He told me it needed front brakes and a rotor cut. He pulled the converter and patched it. Passed inspection and cost...$400.00. Never!!! will I take my vehicle to Lexus service again.

4. No real problems until recently. Nov."09". The car was not shifting into overdrive and CEL was coming on. Discussed the problem with a Lexus forum and was told to disconnect the battery and pull the ECU fuse. This cleared the code that did not allow the car to shift into overdrive but I still had issues with the Coolant Temperature sensor. Replaced that. Part cost. $25.00 Time 20min. Still issues with CEL. Code said issues with Thermostat. Changed that. Cost: $12.00. time 4hrs. Fixed. CEl still on. Now shows P1150 Air fule ratio sensor. Easy fix. Probably going to work on it this weekend.

All and all, the car has been very reliable and rides great. It's paid for and from what I understand should last a long time if taken care of. With the wealth of knowledge at my finger tips and people gracious enugh to give their help. There probably isn't a problem I can't diagnose and fix. Thanks for all your help.

• 2 months later...

2000 RX300.

Purchased March '08.

From what the dealer told me I am the second owner.

Quite a few miles on it when I bought it, but the dealer had all the service records. Seemed like a very nice car, in good condition. Currently almost 200k miles on it! Still running just fine. (mostly highway miles going on trips to Cali, Vegas, and Yellowstone a few times)

Problems:

Clock kept resetting to 1:00 took it to the Lexus dealership they told me it was a bad module and they would have to replace it at a cost of over $600. I told them forget it, its just a clock. Next day called my mechanic and he said to buy a new battery so i did problem fixed. The funny thing is that Lexus said they checked the battery. Never will I go to a Lexus dealership again.

Pinched exhaust resulting in an exhaust leak after "high centering" while driving through Bryce Canyon in Utah. Around $100 bucks to fix at a local exhaust shop.

There is a noise coming from my back seats, its like the back seat is squeaking, not sure where exactly its coming from.

But really these are very small problems and haven't really had an effect on how I love driving this car. It's great for road trips (really comfortable and storage space is pretty good).

Plans to retrofit HID projectors, repaint to be one solid color, want the pebble beach edition rims from a RX330.

I'm 25 married and pay $55 bucks a month for insurance.

2001 RX 300

Bought in June 2009 with about 73,000 miles from a broker.

I am the 3rd owner. I payed $11,500 for the car.

I purchased an Extended Warranty from Route 66 offerred by my credit union.

I use an idependent repair shop.

My insurance is about $75/month

Since having I have had many problems, starting about Jan 2010, 6 months after purchasing.

1. Check engine and VSC lights come on- Had to replace o2 censor and also needed a new battery at the same time.

$500 repair. Not covered under warranty.

2. Check engine and vsc lights came back on one month later. Took to Lexus at the request of my mechanic. The code for catalytic convertor came up. Lexus quoted me $2500 for this repair. I did not choose to have it fixed at the time.

3. About one month later my transmission went out completely. It just really came out of nowhere, without warning. My car is currently in the repair shop. This will cost $4200 from a local shop, with a new lexus transmission. Thankfully this is covered by my extended warranty.

I would say this car has been pretty much a lemon so far and I would never buy another used lexus that is not factory covered. I have always bought used cars and have never had this many expensive problems in the past (I've had volvo and subaru).

• 2 weeks later...

2005 RX 330

Bought in September 2009 with about 107,000 kilometers from a small dealership.

I am the 2nd owner (supposedly :). I payed $25,000CA for the car.

No extended warranty (when I read conditions, I decided I'm not an idiot).

I use an independent repair shop.

My insurance is - wouldn't say - you will laugh there in States.

I love the car and enjoy it.

Checked error codes - none.

One problem happened after 6 months passed - left rear wheel bearing started to hum.

At Lexus I was told that part itself (it's a hub, no bearing separate is sold) is about $1000 (!) including tax. At a friendly repair shop I paid $350 for the hub installed (!). Made by Koyo (Japan). Forget about Lexus dealership - scammers.

Also re-surfaced front rotors - to be expected for 117,000 km and many complaints at forums (it was the second time re-surfacing as per mechanic).

Dashboard squeaked - inserted a small piece of plastic at the very right side - became much better. So far so good.

What I don't like is the how climate control works. No error codes either, but A/C is always "ON" (could be easily turned "OFF" manually, but annoying), even if outside is cold; temperature goes up and than slowly goes down too much (much below desired temperature - in winter). I read forums and it looks like it's a design defect.

RX300, 2000

Original Owner

Purchased as Toyota Employee

138,000 miles

2 serious accidents

Problems/Repairs:

2 A/F Sensors-replaced myself, I have Auterra Dyno-scan on my laptop for OBDII scans

Power Antenna Mast-replaced myself

Leaking rear main seal (vanished after engine de-sludging treatment, not sure why but happy anyway because it saved me $1000)

Drivers side door latch assembly(water penetration?)-replaced myself $318 without tax

2 batteries, only good for about 4 or 5 years, I guess this isn't necessarily a problem but did have a Ford truck that lasted 9 years.

Rear High Stop Tail lamp socket

First brake job was rears at 65K Miles

Second brake job was fronts at 74K Miles

Third ..... 108K Miles? The original brakes were by far the best.

Other annoyances:

Accessory belt adjustment/squealing

Engine noise (clacking),tappet or fuel injector at right rear of engine???

Strut bushing noise

Idle vibration when in drive, often shift into neutral at stop lights

• 2 months later...

What do I not like?

You have to drip the last two gallons of gas in to completely fill the tank. Very annoying.

The driver's side power window is a constant problem. Also very annoying.

Whoever programmed the automatic climate control is an idiot.

The AM radio is VERY lo-fi. Typical of Toyota, sadly.

No dashboard indicator that the fog lights are on (minor).

Automatic door opener only unlocks the driver's side door.

Other than that, good machine. I use regular gas as there is not enough difference in the MPG to spend extra $ on premium.

I have 168,000 on the car. Still has its original spark plugs!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 99 rx 300.

the 15 amp heater fuse blows after a while when fan +ac are on.

change the blower motor and still have the problem+now I've lost some of my blower fan speeds low +high and my next step would be to replace the relay.You think i am on the right track ?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 99 RX300 with 161,000 miles. I am the second owner. I bought it in 2004 on e-bay for $15,900 . It had about 84,000 miles at that time. I live at over 2000 ft elevation on a dusty washboard dirt road at the end of 20 miles of windy mountain roads.

I repaired the timing belt at 110,000. and front Macpherson struts at 120,000. At 134,000 I fried the transmission hauling a trailer of building material weekly from the nearest Home Depot, (a 2 hour drive... 1 hour on dirt roads up to 4000 ft elevation ) for 7 months while building a 3000 Sq Ft building.

I regretted not buying the extended warranty when the Aamco rebuild went 11,000 miles and 13 months later. Now I am on my second AAmco rebuild...this one with a 3 year warranty. I plan to replace the knock sensors next week as this tranny is not shifting into overdrive. In attempting to diagnose the problem we got code 0171 SKS Lean and Code 0330 Knock Sensor 2.

I am also having a problem that when you put the pedal to the metal...the engine hesitates for an endless 10 to 20 seconds before revving up. I hope this repair will knock some sense into my cars computer. I have been pouring fuel system cleaners into the RX for 2 weeks hoping for a miracle & I did a 3M Fuel System Tune Up today. It was a snap! But cleaning the throttle body etc. didn't address my problems. I have some MAS (Mass Air Sensor) cleaner coming...perhaps that will be successful.

Any advice on solving my problems while avoiding the $500 to $700 that the knock sensor replacement will cost will be appreciated.

Its great to have the experience and knowledge of other Lexus owners.

post-119118-128175680674_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Owned my 2000 RX300 since it was brand new. I have about 157K miles on it. Over the years, here's what was done and what's not working.

Things done:

1) 1st Timing belt replaced at about 109K

2) Replace CV Axle on passenger side and wheel bearings. Oil leaked from CV boot which caused the short life. Replaced at about 140K

3) Replace front and rear brake pads once. Yes, you hear it right.

4) Replaced about 2 set of tires

5) And other minor maintenance.

Issues having now

1) Antenna doesn't go up or down

2) The "D"(drive) LED light went out

So far there's still no need to do tune up or replace the spark plugs.

Wish me luck for another 50K miles or longer.

Yesterday I purchased a 2000 Lexus RX 300 with 155,500 miles on it. Bought it from the original owner, its in great shape. I only have one key, it is a master, changed the battery but it still only works all doors except the drivers as far as electronically. Wanted to get a key and they said $350.00 unbelieveable, i need to invest in key stocks. I seen place on the web for much cheaper blanks, but they need cut and programmed. What is the recommendation of the group for the best place and price to buy the keys and how to program myself

Thanks

Jesse

Myrtle Beach SC

• 1 month later...

List your model, year : 2001 RX 300 AWD

# of owners : we are the second owner

Price when bought and from where $21k from Union Park Honda in Wilmington, DE Had 57,000 miles Now has 133,000 miles

Length of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs:

Bought vehicle in May 2005 No major issues until about 2 months ago. The vehicle stutters when going from a complete stop to first gear. I repeats a sound like kuh kuh kuh about 10 times. During that time the car hesitates. After the sound ceases the car moves forward flawlessly through all remaining gears. The problem is getting worse each day, with frequency changing from 5% to 20%.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy). Local mechanic, ex toyota mechanic

About two weeks ago I had my mechanic test drive the vehicle for about 20 minutes. THey could not get the problem to occur, ended up doing transmission service. (Interesting comment on this forum about need to frequently inspect and change transmission fluid).

Did not help.

Last weekend we dined next to another couple that own 2 RX 300s with over 100,000 miles each. They had similar issue and had to replace an ignition coil. However we have not had the check engine light come on at all, so no code to check. They use the local Lexus dealer for all maintenance.

We are now at a decision point, do we get the standard auction trade in of $4,500 or attempt to fix this problem? We also need 4 new tires at over $1,000 estimated cost. We test drove 2007-2008 Pilots and Odysseys and must decide what to do this week.

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I found a forum!

I have just recently inherited a 2000 Rx300 with about 103,000 miles. It was a hand me down from an essentially retarded and alcholic sister in law who treated the vehicle like crap. It cost me nothing, save the $800 for an idle air control motor replacement, which it required to basically get it running. On top of that I also had Lexus clean the carbon build up $300, and replace a tailight $75. Then I had NTB put 4 new tires, allignment, some belt and fluid replacement for about $1,400. So even though this car was free, it's cost me about $3,000 so far. As long as the engine is good, a great deal.

I know I probably need a timing belt soon but other than that I'm not sure what else I should have done to get this thing as taken care of as possible. There are a bunch of little things also, that I'm really hoping this forum can help me with, such as when I open the "trunk" door, the liner like dangles off due to missing plastic nipple plug things...I'd like to know their part number and how to order. Or also, the orginal owner, my mother in law, had some old school car phone hook up and the wires are still up behind the dash and along the panel up towards the driver's side window where the mic hangs down and on the passenger side where the antenna is affixed to the windshield..I'd like to know how to remove all that plastic so I can get rid of those wires..

My last vehicle was a motorcycle and the repair manual listed all part numbers clearly (and there were wa less parts), so it was super easy to fix and replace anything with the help of my forum. This seems like it's going to be way more challenging. I have the Chilton manual but don't find it as easy to refer to as I had hoped.

Anyhow, I hope this forum is as good to me as my Buell forum was, and you guys can help me get this abused piece of crap looking and driving like the reliable vehicle I know it can be for me and my coming daughter.

Thanks a lot.

-Lee

• 2 months later...

hope everyone is doing well. This is my first post. I have a 1999 RX 300. MY family are the original and only owners thus nearly 11 years!! The issue I have is with the CD player.

The issue I have is the CD player magazine (what you insert into the player in the glove compartment) is stuck in the middle. It is not fully in. I do not get any response what so ever from the CD player button on the center console. Does any one have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 RX300 with 140,000mi, I am the second owner of this vehicle. Recently as I am backing out of my driveway there is a loud clunk and it only happens when the car is cold. I thought it was the spare tire or iron in the back moving around but I have secured those. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. My dad thinks it is the ball joints going bad but I am not sure. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you for your time

Chris Smith