Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

SKperformance

2004 RX330 Used 67K miles $26K Lexus of Brookfield, WI

Toyo 245/45/20 Proxes 4

AR wheels Chrome Tank both tires and rims installed $2100.00 Minocqua Tire

Tint 20% by SunGuard Free we do usually we charge $100.00

Interior

Wi-EX Car Extender (booster for cell phone) $300.00

Stock radio with VAIS SLX box (for XM) $250 with Ipod cable $15, XMD1000 direct Best buy reconditioned $50, ipod nano 4g we had.

Profit cell phone bracket $37 with Motorola harness for phone and ipod $25.00 each

APC brake and gas peddle $15.00

Husky black floor molded floor mates $68

Removed the crossbars on the roof rack

Lights are by Luminics. Krypton Titanium white (5,500K) high/low/fog with wire harness they ran $227 shipped with tax.

Non-skid work station $180 for the laptop by HP

I have to say that this RX is a challenge and we work on a lot of cars. This car takes a lot more time to make sure everything you add looks professional. I would have to say everything did have it place and everything I took apart fit nicely together. We could not have done it without the help of you guys out there. Hours of looking through the RX forums taking notes and going to attached websites. Thank you and if anyone needs anything or has any questions please let me know.

post-53190-1193331857_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193331873_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193331890_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193331904_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193331940_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193331970_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193332008_thumb.jpg

post-53190-1193332041_thumb.jpg

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

2001 RX300

One of my master keys no longer works. The remote locks and unlocks the doors but the car will not start. The key fob battery is new and dealer service rep said it's very unusual for the chip in the key to go bad; with my other key, no problem.

Anyone else had this trouble?

2002 rx300 80k miles now, My wife had trouble getting the car started yesterday, it was acting like it wasnt getting fuel. I just did the IACV clean-up as posted here on this site. Made the job a breeze . Read the other posts of some of the people that did it and you can pick up extra tips. Our car runs great now, starts really easy. The Idle valve was gunked up inside and not turning well. Im sure they will all need this at some point with todays gasoline. I highly recomend this DO-IT-YOURSELF project if you want to save some $$$......Kimo

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my lexus from a local dealer that specializes in Lexus, Volvo, etc. in 2004 it had 55,000 on it and it was a Leased vehicle before.

It is a 2000 RX300 with 75,000 miles on it.

I had to have a $700 brake job in 2006,

If you have the back windows open on the highway it makes a noise that kills your ears. :cries:

The glove box never closed well from the beginning, but I can handle that. My PROBLEM now is........

I have a habit of leaving my interior light on and my battery died, my husband jump started it, still wouldn't start, tow truck boosted it and still nothing.... took it to the dealer I bought it at and I need a new computer. A used computer would be about $300 a new one $875 and a tow to the dealer (which is about 2 hours away). The dealer isn't sure that the used one will work with the chip in my key. Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

2005 RX 330--Groaning, Thumping In Tight Turns

Has anyone had a problem with RX 330 2005 air suspension autos emitting a groaning noise from the front when the car goes into a tight left or right turn? The noise is a combination of rythmical thump and groan, it sounds like a gear or other round, rotating part is going over a bump, or is causing friction against something. It is not a grinding sound or a sound as if something is seriously wrong. It happens typically when one has to drive up a tight spiral parking rampway, or make a tight turn all the way to the left or right of the wheel.

The dealer looked at it twice. The first time, it was raining, and the car could not reproduce the sound. The second time, there was a sound, which the dealer claimed was due to rubber parts rubbing together. The dealer sprayed the parts with a lubricant and the sound went away for about 4 minutes. The dealer claimed the rubber would gradually become harder and the sound would go away, but I think they just wanted to be rid of a hard-to-find problem for which they could not charge extra.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2005 RX 330, original owner, Japan-made car, owned since 2005, 31,000 miles, serviced only at dealer

2004 Bamboo Pearl RX 330 Prem with navi, ML sound, Rear DVD

Purchased: March 2003, 1st one sold in Jackson, MS (special ordered)

Price: $45,180.

Current mileage: 85190

2 family members

Pros: Great highway traveler, comfortable, very reliable, outstanding interior quality

Cons: When new too many TSB's, dash rattle (TSB performed), fuel injector tick, thin paint, poor transmission shifting

Overall very pleased with auto and dealership experience

Purchased from Herrin Gear Lexus Jackson, MS

2005 RX330 - How to Remove/Re-install Rear Marker Light????????

The passanger-side rear marker light (bottom corner of bumper) is broken :cries: . I would like to replace it myself, but can't figure out how to remove it :angry: . By looking from underneath the car, it appears the assembly is bolted on, but the nut is in an impossible to reach place, even using socket extensions and a universal joint.

Other than removing the rear bumper cover, does anyone know how to remove the entire rear marker light assembly? Any help will be appreciated. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2004 RX330 Power liftgate hesitates and stops.

Our RX330 gate will sometimes open fine. But closing a different story. It acts like a adjustment to the resistance needs made. Is there a safety switch that can be adjusted or does the motor need replacing. . If you help it it works. Do I have to pull the roof liner out to repair it.

Thanks JD

• 3 weeks later...

2001 Lexus RX300 - 60k miles. Full leather interior, luggage rack, CD system, heated seats. Purchased this car a little over a year ago, April 2007. According to CarFAx - I I am the second owner. This was originally a corporate/fleet vehicle.

Upon purchasing the car used from a volvo dealer - I took it to Naperville Lexus and had the complete Certified used vehicle inspection done. I knew it needed new tires & brakes - but wanted to se if there were any other issues. The antenna also had to be replaced because it kept getting stuck - and the dealership said this would burn out the motor. Because I did the brakes and antenna - they did not charge me for the comprehensive inspection. I had them do new brakes all around (pads & rotors) + the antenna.

Since purchasing the car over a year ago - I have done nothing but oil changes. It has run very well and I'm very happy with it. I am now looking into adding a towing hitch myself.

I paid $17,000 + sales tax/title/plates - $18,500 out the door.

2000 RX300 bought new at Prestige Lexus Ramsey NJ in 1999. Paid 38000. Silver ext Grey Leather int. Car has been great, exceeding expectations. Ordered Gold and the dealer mistakenly gave me Silver. I took it anyway and am happy I did.

Car has 117000k on it now. Minimal problems.

Dealership is great, they also service my BMW. Nothing but good results. Always a great RX loaner when I get service. One time when I had a 90K service my front bumper got scratched, the dealer replaced it with a new one.

Problems:

Solonoid in transmission giving me a check engine around 40k, did not sense any prob. Held the car for 3 days fixed for 600.00. After warrenty. I did not care that they kept it awaiting parts because I was driving a brand new RX350 loaner.

Had a check engine out of warranty that was a hose problem charged me 19.00 came back and they fixed it for free.

Had to drill our the licence plate screws since they had rusted tight. Had to repair the front plate holder. Minor stuff.

Front driver seat got ripped on the side. Did not fix yet, don't know what to make of it.

Had the muffler problem that turned out to be a coupler and gasket between the cat conv and rear muffler. Cost about 60.00 to fix at a gas station.

Original brakes lasted 90K not bad. I think I need rotors now at 117K.

Rest was oil changes and 30k and 60k and 90k checkups.

Starter motor died at 90k fixed with 90k checkup 450.00. It has a dead spot on it and would not turn intermittently.

Replaced Shocks Shockmounts and front wheel bearings at 115K. Costs 1300.00 for both with a local mechanic, car handles like new.

Car looks brand new fit and finish is excellent. Car looks brand new is garaged most of the time.

Averages 18.3 mpg wish that was a little better mostly local driving though.

No mods

All in all car is great and I plan on keeping it for a while.

• 2 months later...

Just bought 2003 RX-300 FWD with 66k miles on it ($12.3K) and drove from LV, NV to Wichita, KS.

Changed oil, trans filter +oil x3, air filter, three spark plugs (rear one are for this weekend), had a hard time clearing VSC and TracOff light but found solution (reseeting yaw sensor) on this board (thanks guys!!!!).

It lacks power (compare to my 07 Acura RDX Turbo) but ride is smoother.

Planning to keep it for a long time with the help of this forum.

cy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2003 RX300 I bought new for about $33,400. Much haggling with the dealer (Coliseum Lexus, Oakland, CA.) and we got a decent price, trade in on an Infiniti and good interest rate.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. Smooth ride, comy seats, good visibilty, decent acceleration and nice looks inside and out are the pluses.

Nothing major has gone wrong, just some minor quibbles.

The probs and quibbles so far after 94k:

Lousy turning radius. I hear the new ones are better now.

Gas mileage at best is 21-24 at the high end and much, much lower at low end.

Wears out tires at 45k. First GoodYear Integrity's sucked. Replaced with General Grabber's which were super noisy.

Just bought GY Confortreds, which are very quiet and should last longer.

I'm having the low idle probs at start the last few months. Thanks to this site, I did the throttle body/iacv cleaning. It took awhile but problem solved and I saved a few bucks.

Just replaced a little motor in the door lock actuator, thanks to some help on here and other sites. Saved big money.

A few months ago, my power antenna won't go down. The motor's making the noise but it's not working. Got to price those, but not a big deal right now.

So it seems like electric probs are common, but I still like the car.

• 1 month later...

2000 RX300 with AWD, fully loaded. It's a hand-me-down from my mother after she decided it was time for a new car. She traded in her dreaded Olds Aurora (the one with the engine fires) for the car.

AFAIK, it's bone stock. Nothing aftermarket at all.

Problems are what I believe are standard for an 8 year old car:

Antenna mast is stuck

Sway bar bushings are worn

The rear hatch opener stays in one position as if a spring were broken.

The rear hatch hydraulic stays are on their last legs

The sun visors are sagging down

The passenger window is having trouble going up or down

The driver's window is slow.

Other than that, the car is mechanically sound, except for the whole engine sludge business. The turning radius is too big, the radio pulls in stations poorly (that might be due to the antenna), and the throttle feels kind of heavy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2005, AWD Lexus RX330. I am the first owner, only 30k miles on it. Always serviced at the Lexus dealership in the suburbs of Illinois. My boyfriend, who is 6'5, knocked the pop-out cup holder as he was getting out of the car. The cup-holder itself is there, but the bottom part is broken off so nothing can be put in the cup holder without it falling through. How do I go about fixing this, is it a home repair or do I have to bring it in? Where can I find parts? If I have to bring it in, perhaps how much would it cost? It's just plastic so I'm hoping it won't cost much but I do not know much about cars and how much work it may be.

Thanks to all!

2001 Lexus RX300 FWD 63,000 miles

I bought the car in 2003 second hand from a private owner with 32,000 miles on it for $25,000.

I am a 73 year old retired certified master automotive technician, I do all my own service,

The car is performing great , I enjoy driving it.

There are no problems at all.

No rattles or squeaks.

It gets 18-19 mpg City and 23-24 mpg highway.

In 2006 it needed a new battery also an Oxygen sensor which I bought for about $150.00

At 60,000 miles I replaced front and rear brake pads, brake fluid and machined the rotors.

Replaced all the fluids and put on a set of Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires.

I picked the Comfortred because of the ratings, especially for a quiet and smooth ride.

The only thing I don’t like me is the large turning radius.

I love the car.

It's 2001, RX300 - 4WD, 50K orignal owner, too many problems in last 8 mths, gas leaking in exhaust, today struts, trans. cooler line, rans, leak, not sure if it's dealer's profit or car. would extended warranty help?

• 2 weeks later...

INFO: 2001 RX300. 2nd owner.

I paid 15K at Richardson Imports in Turnersville, NJ.

I've had it one year this month, and have taken it from 75K when I bought it to 93K.

PROBLEMS:I have kept up on all the recommended maintenance, including two 1500$ service packages. This last one I just included changing the timing belt. They actually do a lot of work for the money(at Lexus prices,anyhow) In December my 'CheckEngine' and VSC lights both came on. I purchased a Continental warranty when I bought the car, and they suggested that I go to a local Cottman Transmission. I took it there three times before getting fed up and taking it to Lexus. Cottman said they changed the Solenoid pack, but one week later the lights came back on. This time they told me that Lexus had sent out a faulty batch of parts, and so they replaced them again. But the lights came back on a third time a week later. I got fed up and took it to Lexus, who told me I needed a new tranny.

Continental didnt want to buy me a new transmission( those things cost a few G's), but Cherry Hill Lexus talked them into it. I can feel a definite difference. The lag between shifting is gone. It doesnt make that high pitch 'whirr'' noise anymore.

MODS: My rotors warped a few months ago and the car would shake like, well, something that shakes a lot. So I picked up crossdilled/slotted rotors on ebay, from a company called R1 Concepts. They electrocoat all the non contact surfaces so they wont rust. And they look really cool. post-74746-1234325568_thumb.jpg Rear brakes.

• 2 months later...

2001 RX 300, 2nd owner bought at 90k

1. I had to the 90k service right after I bought the care. I found a local mechanic that changed the timing belt, water pump, flush coolant, replace drive belts, do oil seal work, rotate tires, oil change, oil filter change, change brake fluid, new rear brake pads- All for $1050.

2. The rear wiper motor was broke. I took it out and notice that a plastic gear was missing. I assume that it broker and the previous owner took it apart and removed the damage gear and put the motor back. I bought a replacement motor from a junk yard for $80 and replaced it myself.

3. The accelerator was sticking. I bought a $4 can of throttle cleaner and cleaned out the throttle plates.

4. The cassette player doesn't work. If you put a tape in, good luck getting it back out

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

RX300, 2000; paid ~ $2,000 below list; Lexus of Las Vegas; original owner (9 yrs); rebuilt transmission in Sep 07 (66K miles) for $2,800 at AAMCO

• 2 months later...

I have a 2001 rx300, my research indicates that I should replace the timing belt and at the same time replace the water pump. What should I excpect to pay at a non-dealer shop. What are they likely to replace besides these major components. How do I know if these really need replaced. How will I know if I take it to some shop and they perform this service unneccesarily :(

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my RX330 06 model in 2008 with 28k miles on it.

Paid $23 and factory warranty still has few months to go

Problems:

Dash rattling - 90% fixing under warranty

Lose steering wheel clicks - dealer couldn't duplicate, not fixed

Battery held only 60% capacity and dies after 3 or more days not using the car. Factory warrant won't cover unless the capacity drops below 50%. I bought a new one from Costco. So far so good, I can start car without any hesitation after leaving the car weeks in the garage.

Overall, happy with the car for the price I paid. Just need to get the steering wheel fixed before the factory warranty expires.