Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

SKperformance

99 RX300, 115k

CEL P0330: Knock Sensor

Other symtomp: Car would not shift to Overdrive (45mph at ~3k rpm)

I had all 2 knock sensors replaced at an independent shop for $500. This is probably a defect design because the sensors are placed in an awkward position that a lot of things had to be taken out.

PS: My mechanic first checked all the wiring and reset the light but no luck.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2000 rx300. I recently had my battery replaced by Advance Auto and now my LCD screen does not work. I have tried all the fuses and they seem to be alright. what has caused this and is thier something I can do to fix it? thank you

I bought my 1999 Rx300 in March 06, it had 86 K on it for $14000. It now has 106K. it has been problem free until now. I have the check engine light on, code P1135, i believe it is air flow sensor, cost is $170 for the part, my friend will instal it for free. He says that it doesnt effect your car except for emission. But no harm to the engine.

I havent done any work to it. when i first bought it the transmission fluid wasvery dark so i had them change it for free (nissan dealership in middlebury, CT). My friend installed a radiator for the transmission, cost was $40 for parts, labor free. Since then the transmission fluid is still pink and clean...

Any idea of the best way to solve code P1135 ? Does the air flow sensor before the car impact the engine ?

Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I bought my 1999 Rx300 in March 06, it had 86 K on it for $14000. It now has 106K. it has been problem free until now. I have the check engine light on, code P1135, i believe it is air flow sensor, cost is $170 for the part, my friend will instal it for free. He says that it doesnt effect your car except for emission. But no harm to the engine.

I havent done any work to it. when i first bought it the transmission fluid wasvery dark so i had them change it for free (nissan dealership in middlebury, CT). My friend installed a radiator for the transmission, cost was $40 for parts, labor free. Since then the transmission fluid is still pink and clean...

Any idea of the best way to solve code P1135 ? Does the air flow sensor before the car impact the engine ?

Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Before you replace the mass airflow sensor, have your friend remove it and blast the insides 3-4 times with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner (the kind that comes in a spray can). Make sure the "wires" inside the sensor have come clean and are shinny. Replace the sensor and reset the trouble light. This worked for me. Do not use alcohol or any other type cleaner - those either don't work or will damage the unit. If it doesn't fix it, you'll just have to suck it up and buy a new airflow sensor. A bad airflow sensor will affect your mileage and emissions.

Have Lexus Rx 300 2001...went for inspection, lights on dash were on...was told we needed both 02 senors..pre-cat...just replaced both pre cat 02 sensors and the check engine lights came back about 1 minute after re-connecting the battery and starting the car. What next?

Have Lexus Rx 300 2001...went for inspection, lights on dash were on...was told we needed both 02 senors..pre-cat...just replaced both pre cat 02 sensors and the check engine lights came back about 1 minute after re-connecting the battery and starting the car. What next?

Did you reset the trouble light after changing out the sensors? It'll take a long time for them to go out by themselves.

Did you reset the trouble light after changing out the sensors? It'll take a long time for them to go out by themselves.

How does one reset the trouble light....??

You'll have to take it to a place like Autozone (or your dealer) and ask them to reset it using their diagnostic tester. Autozone should do it for free.

I have 2000 RX300. The biggest problem is a pickup. Car is soo slow. My check engine first light up after about 45000 miles. Turned out that was airflow sensor. My mechanic cleaned it and put it back. Now the light comes back after about six-seven months.

My transmittion died afte 76500. Had to take it to mechanic to replace it. He put a used transmission which set me back about $3000. I called Lexus, they told me that that the might be able to help providing I did all my maintenance work at Lexus, which I didn't.

Does anybody else had problems with transmission after so few mile?

And now I need to buy a third set of tires. Mine are all worn although I rotate them every 6000 miles and try to check air pressure monthly. Can anybody advise on a good place to purchase tires?

You'll have to take it to a place like Autozone (or your dealer) and ask them to reset it using their diagnostic tester. Autozone should do it for free.

So much for fixing this stuff by yourself! After 2 diiferent garages charged $170 and $85 for their computer diagnostices the end diagnosis is "bad ECM" and after $1000. bucks to replace that...now they tell us the bad ECM toasted the new 02 sensors...which will now have to be replace again.

Goota love these foreign cars.,.

• 2 months later...

I disagree with Toyota being the best cars now. I think Honda builds the best cars for the money.

I have owned many US, Toyota and Honda and Honda overall has cost me the least and this is supported by many auto heads.

My Lexus RX300 2001 is a OK car but I too am disappointed, I am a gear head and bought the RX for the wife. It now has 100k and no major problems. I do all my own maintenance and service, but I think the transmisson is weak and we have a lifter problem I must address. For $40k, holy crap these cars should walk on water. I have a 2001 Honda Civic that has cost me nothing and runs circle around this RX and only cost me $13k with 120k miles.

Now its not the same ride,.......but the cost of ownership from a to b is about 1/5 the Lexus costs........

never again.......I'll spend the money on real estate first

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

I have a 99 Rx300. I purchased it 3 years ago from a friend who had it serviced at the Lexus dealer. I now have 140,000 miles on the vehicle. The only problem I've had was the Idle aire control valve which I corrected myself by using this site. I've had no problems with the transmission or the engine. It has been an excellent vehicle. I've found that getting some things done at the Toyota dealer was less expensive than the Lexus Dealer. I'm sure they are as competent.

NICE TO READ SOMETHING POSITIVE ON HERE FOR A CHANGE, JUST BOUGHT MY 01 RX300 AND GETTING A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT TRANNY FAILURES ETC...

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post so be nice :rolleyes: 1999 RX300, bought used in 2002 for 16.8K. Now has 122K mi on it;problem: check engine light/trac off lights came on today for the 2nd time in approx. 4 wks. It has had independent shop doing some work since I've had the vehicle. Work done: struts replaced; timing chain(?) replaced at 100K. Oil change 4 wks ago when light came on 1st time- I was told there was a misfire (I'm not sure) and fuel injector fluid added to the oil would solve the problem. The lights went off and now today they're back!! More serious problem? Go to my independent mechanic instead? Thank you for your help, kathyc

This is my first post so be nice :rolleyes: 1999 RX300, bought used in 2002 for 16.8K. Now has 122K mi on it;problem: check engine light/trac off lights came on today for the 2nd time in approx. 4 wks. It has had independent shop doing some work since I've had the vehicle. Work done: struts replaced; timing chain(?) replaced at 100K. Oil change 4 wks ago when light came on 1st time- I was told there was a misfire (I'm not sure) and fuel injector fluid added to the oil would solve the problem. The lights went off and now today they're back!! More serious problem? Go to my independent mechanic instead? Thank you for your help, kathyc

You should go to a Autozone and have them read the codes for you, that would give us a better idea of what is going on. and welcome aboard....

Good Morning everyone, thank you for the response. My plan is exactly that, to go to Autozone get the computer code, come back here and get the Gurus of Lexus' advice. thanks again, kathyc

Happy to be here. I own a 1999 RX 300 AWD- we bought it used in 2002 with 42K miles on it, now it's nearing 92K. Last week it was ideling badly and very unsteady. Took it to the dealer and $1,300 later had (according to the dealer) the igniton coils replaced, all new spark plus, and the engine compartment cleaned out and new valve installed. End of last week the check engine light went on again, took to the dealer again and two days later they proposes all the o2 sensors replaced for $1,700 :cries: . I didn't have them do it... Later I found out I could buy the 3 O2 sensors myself and pay a garage to replace them for me for about 1/3 the cost of the dealer. Given the car's age and mileage, should I worry about other sensors and components needing replacement? The dealer gave me a list- water pump, timing belt, service etc... Many thanks in advance for the long winded question!

Happy to be here. I own a 1999 RX 300 AWD- we bought it used in 2002 with 42K miles on it, now it's nearing 92K. Last week it was ideling badly and very unsteady. Took it to the dealer and $1,300 later had (according to the dealer) the igniton coils replaced, all new spark plus, and the engine compartment cleaned out and new valve installed. End of last week the check engine light went on again, took to the dealer again and two days later they proposes all the o2 sensors replaced for $1,700 :cries: . I didn't have them do it... Later I found out I could buy the 3 O2 sensors myself and pay a garage to replace them for me for about 1/3 the cost of the dealer. Given the car's age and mileage, should I worry about other sensors and components needing replacement? The dealer gave me a list- water pump, timing belt, service etc... Many thanks in advance for the long winded question!

Take it to a Autozone or parts store that will give you the codes for free. Toyota or and independent garage that services toyotas would give you a lot cheaper service. The timing belt and water pump for $500.... O2 sensors are a problem that needs to be diagnosed without replacing them all. Sometimes a leaking gas cap can cause codes, or a leaking gasket in the exhaust system. usually at the joints between the exhaust pipe before the rear catylitic converter. Lexus is raping you big time. The poor running could have been nothing more than a dirty Maf or IAC sensor....My Lexus has 138k miles and has the original o2 sensors and the plugs were changed at 125k miles. I know your winters are much harsher than my california weather. The other thing is you could have a cracked exhaust manifold on the area near the o2 sensor on the front of the engine. Good luck, but get those codes and give us the results.

Good afternoon all,

Well, as instructed, I took my vehicle to Autozone and a diagnostics was run. The code was "P0171". The gentleman who helped me reset the 'check engine light' and said if it came back on, to return to him and he will run another diagnostic on it to see if the same code comes up. I had him write all this down for me, but this is what he wrote: "P0171 - O2 sensor on bank 1-system too lean. x2. 1)incorrect fuel injector pulse, 2) faulty O2 sensor. Do I or should I wait to get whatever needs to be done until that light comes back on or is this something that needs addressing immediately and what exactly is the translation of all this? Thanks for all the help, kathyc

• 2 months later...

I have a 2001 RX300 & I'm the 2nd owner. I bought it for $27K with 27k miles on it & the current milage right now is 42K. I always take my car to Lexus Dealer & so far the only problem I had is change of battery.

MY MODS ARE:

Wood Steering Wheel

Wood Shift Knob

Euro Style Rear Wiper Arm

Chrome Trunk Lid

Owens Running Board

VVT-I emblem on both sides of Front Door

Weather Tech Window Visors

Weather Tech Monnroof Visor

Clear Front & Rear Side Markers

Sylvania Silverstar on Low Beam, High Beam & Foglights

Retrofit Projector Headlight on High Beam & Low Beam (Coming Soon)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I own a 1999 RX 300. Paid $19,500. Have had the car for 2 years. It had 50k miles when I purchased now it has 112k miles. Problems:

1. Brakes. I need rotors. Is this a common Lexus problem. Squeaky brakes but every place that I took it said I did not need shoes or pads. Now I need rotors? How much and where can I purchase them. I have a mechanic to put them on for me.

2. Auto Fuel Ratio Sensor. Check engine light came on and I took it to dealer. They said I need this part. Can I get it from somewhere else and find a good mechanic to install it for me. How much should it cost?

3. What type of gas is best? I've been using regular unleaded. Should I upgrade?

4. Someone backed into me and broke the Lexus emblem (the L) on the front. Where can I get one?

Thank you.

[/quote

I have a 1999 rx 300 with both of these problems as well.

1] A mechanic aslo told me the pads were fine and could not find a problem with them.

2] Same problem but I had been using hight test for half a year which was giving me real great acceleration and a 4 mpg imptovment in milage . last week i put in a full tank of regular and the engine immediatly began running rough and the engine light started blinking. my millage dropped from 19 mpg to 8 mpg. any one else have this experience? is it a bad tank of gas? would dry gas help? Thanks

Can the auto ratio fuel sensor be read from the obd? anyone have a reccomendation for pc basses obd software? Thanks

I purchased a 2004 RX 330 with 29000 miles on it last year. My wife uses it for business only. The car is always parked in the garage and strictly maintained. She now has almost 59000 miles on it and the back-up camera went on it. Just the camera. The dealer i purchased it from said 2-4000 dollars and another one said the camera alone is 900 dollars. I am searching for an aftermarket camera that will work with the NAV. I feel 900 bucks for a camera is ridiulous. Once I get it fixed, I think I will dump the vehicle. They are making it to where itmes can be purchased from the dealer and they take you to the cleaners.

Upset in Wisconsin

I have a 2004 RX 330, has 29K miles now

--engine clamp was loose so I heard the slightest but still annoying vibration sound each time i went over unpaved or bumpy roads...it was very hard to target and the head technician even rode with me for 20 min and they had my car 3 different times before realizing it was an engine clamp that needed to be tightened...it was so faint yet annoying, almost sounded like my spare tire was loose or something FIXED

--AC duct had a slight whistling sound--they replaced something inside FIXED

--now lately when i turn on the engine, i just noticed a faint sound...like a clicking sound as if my tape deck was running but no music was coming out (except my radio was off) i noticed this when i turned on my car and was sitting in park, looking at something before leaving the parking lot. any ideas what this may be? =X

--also, the transmission lagging issue--i def noticed a marked improvement in steering and acceleration when i had a 2007 loaner RX...it was so much smoother and i didnt feel like the car had to try too hard accelerating from stop to go...and im not even a leadfoot or steps on the gas hard at all etc...they reset the transmission for me...but i cant tell its way better--seems like my car has a mind of its own and somedays drives better than others...

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

RX330, 2006, 1st owner

I can't remember exactly what we paid but it was at the Austin Lexus dealership (wife bought the car)

The car has run like a champ and has ~33k on it now.

The only problems I've found is that the paint on the front bumper, hood, and fenders chips EXTREMELY easily. The front now looks pretty sad.

I really need to do the paint chip repair, but I'm worried about how it will turn out.