Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

SKperformance

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I have a 2001 RX 300 with a noisy exhaust. The dealer told me the noise was coming from a spring in the exhaust but they want $200 to fix it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. The dealership is Larry Miller of Lindon, Ut. I am the second owner of the car. Car has 50,000 miles on it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
I have a 2001 RX 300 with a noisy exhaust.  The dealer told me the noise was coming from a spring in the exhaust but they want $200 to fix it.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.  The dealership is Larry Miller of Lindon, Ut.  I am the second owner of the car.  Car has 50,000 miles on it.

01RX300 with 60K on it. Only when idle at D shiift, it sounds like subwoofer is working....even when I shut off fan/AC, Music. I do not know if it is the same as yours. Any idea? or easy fix? Or it could be included in the extended warranty?

Any thanks!!! :cries:

• Like 1

I have the same problem with both of my RX300s. It seems like the idle is running low when the car is sitting in drive. When I put it in park, the idle goes up slightly and the vibration noise goes away. I'm sure there is a way to modify the car to fix the problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

mine is RX300 2000, just recently I have to fix left rear seat belt, excessive front tire wear and today, I have to clean up the mass air flow meter due to a "check engine" light on and the OBD!! code p0171.

Not quite happy with this car although my wife drives it the most. I have BMW 740il and it sucks too.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I have an RX300 year 2000 and for some reason whenever im driving it sounds like I have a flat tire and when I speed up like on the highways my car starts shaking a lot!! I took it to some place to check it out and they said I need to replace my back passenger side rotor??? Im totally lost, how do I know if this is true. I think I may have hit a curb a couple times, would it mess up the rotor? Please help me :cries: Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
I have a 2001 RX 300 with a noisy exhaust.  The dealer told me the noise was coming from a spring in the exhaust but they want $200 to fix it.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.  The dealership is Larry Miller of Lindon, Ut.  I am the second owner of the car.  Car has 50,000 miles on it.

there is a flex joint in the exhaust just under the engine. I took it to a muffler shop and they installed the flex joint designed more like Hondas and did it for $100. Works great, last a long time and wont rot your teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

RX 330 purchased 7-10-2004 from Wilke Lexus, Devon PA. last 6 VIN 030515.

I have tried to ascertain whether this car has a suspect brake booster; I am told by another dealer that ALL 04 RX330's have the booster problem; I am told by Wilke Lexus that there is a cutoff date by VIN after which the boosters are OK, and that any new booster would be identical to that which is in the car. Since this car is being driven by my daughter 50 miles per day (commute) I would like to be assured that she won't have a problem with the brakes.

I owned another 04 RX, which when I took it in to the dealer (Prestige Lexus) for a recall, he told me he was keeping the car, and gave me a loaner because of the booster problem . He said he had at least 13 more RX's with the same problem. I subsequently traded in that RX for a GX (Jan 13 of this year). What is the real story with the brake boosters?

• 3 months later...

We bought an '04 RX330 FWD 18" wheels, black on tan interior w/birds eye wood trim. We bought it in feb'05 w/17K on it and now have 25k.

1. Dash rattle. (Full TSB performed were they take off the dash and insulate the mounting clips. solved the problem)

2. Both visors replaced due to defect in flip up motion of vanity mirror.

3. Rubber exhaust hanger broken. (replaced by dealer)

4. Brake recall performed (switch changed by dealer)

5. Cup holder cover mechanism was sticking. (unstuck by dealer)

6. Injector ticking (yet to be serviced)

7. Hesitation (yet to be serviced)

8. Passenger side wind noise i think (yet to be serviced).

All service and work done at Lexus of Bossier City LA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vehicle: 04 RX330

Purchased: 8/16/04

Dealer: Lexus of Madison in Madison, WI ("Lexus M")

Current Service Performed by Bergstrom Lexus in Appleton, WI ("Lexus B")

Problems:

1. Took delivery and car developed shimmy at 55 mph, returned to Lexus M, wheels/tires were out of balance (rebalanced) - no charge.

2. After 4 weeks dash popping noise developed in proximity to both A pillars or dash side air vents, rattled detected in proximity to glove box. Returned to Lexus M for 1000 mile service (repair undertaken, problems not fixed) - no charge. Began to notice the transmission hesitation (but based on comments from this forum decided to wait and see if this problem would persist - it still does).

3. Mid-September had "falling out" with sales person at Lexus M due to answers given on Toyota follow-up questionnaire. I will not do business with Lexus M again due to this experience.

4. Oct 4, took vehicle to Lexus B to address dash squeaks and rattles. Inspection performed. I was informed that one air vent was "broken," service tech recommended replacing both (parts ordered) and suggested that when the parts were in they would conduct their own "in house" repairs for the dash problems using a system that they had developed over the winter of 03-04 to deal with all the problems that new RX330 owners were experiencing. Also noted the ticking sound from the lifters - was told that a TSB was coming out but that service could not be performed until TSB received. No charge.

5. Oct 18, vehicle returned to Lexus B for replacement of vents and other "fixes." No improvement following service. No TSB yet on the "ticking" sound. No charge.

6. Nov. 4, vehicle returned to Lexus B for first oil change. Requested that squeak and rattle issues be addressed again. Also began experiencing wind noise from driver side window at high speeds (e.g., excess of 70 mph) during cross wind conditions. Additional repair attempted by Lexus B with no success. No charge.

7. Dec. 17, vehicle returned to Lexus B to address first recall notice regarding tail light wiring. Repair completed. No charge.

8. March 7, 2005, vehicle returned to Lexus B to repair failure of driver side window opener. Problem fixed. No charge.

9. March 17, 2005, vehicle returned to Lexus B with instructions to keep vehicle until squeaks and rattles and wind noise addressed. Car remained at dealership for 5 days. Returned with A-pillar popping noises reduced but not eliminated. Rattling in area around glove box not fixed. Wind noise not fixed. No charge.

10. April 13, 2005, second oil change and TSB "repairs" to window trim and glove box. Rattling in area around glove box not fixed. Wind noise not fixed.

11. May 15, 2005, received notice from Lexus regarding brake booster voluntary replacement option. Now my wife is afraid of the vehicle...

Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed with this car. I will say that Bergstrom Lexus has been excellent to deal with. I think they are trying anything they can think of to help. The quality control, fit and finish, and body integrity issues with this vehicle are not what I expected from Lexus (or from any manufacturer who charges what we paid for this vehicle).

• Like 1

I have over 92.000 miles on my 2002 RX 300, and have had only a few problems or mysterious occurances.

1. When the weather is cool (around 60 degrees), and the engine is cold, I sometimes cannot fill my gas tank above 3/4 full. This happened more often in January and February than any other month, and was more noticeable this year than last. Usually, I can fill the tank up all the way on the next trip to the gas station.

2. I've seen several posts about mysterious clicks and squeaks behind the dash. I've confirmed that the problem is with the AC fan by turning off the air flow. (I live in Louisiana, so I run the AC year round.)

3. In April, I was unable to get the vehicle started this afternoon. The service rep told me this has happened with other RX's, and it usually does not repeat. It hasn't.

4. Unfortunately, I got hit with a bigger problem on the interstate last night. My vehcile felt like the accelerator was trying to get stuck when I started decelerating. When I pulled off and put it in park, the engine started "rev"-ing like I was trying to gun it. (My foot was nowhere near the accelerator at the time.)

When I started the vehicle this morning, the problem was still happening, so I took it to the dealer. They can't get the problem to repeat. They are keeping the RX overnight to try again in the morning.

I understand that fixing any kind of intermittent problem is very difficult. If anyone has experienced anything similar, please post the cause and fix here.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ihave a 2005 rx330,awd, flint mica with,nav,tow hitch,premium package plus,Heated front seats and wipers,18"wheels,cd changer.

It was bought nov2004 from Brookfield (wisconsin)Lexus,for $40K.

It had the dash board noise problem above where the passenger air bag comes out.IT was fixed in january (took Two Days!!) I was given a loaner and treated quite well. A much different experience than I am used to after 40 years of Ford And GM.

I am 58 and pay $410 per year insurance Only $80 per year more than a 99 windstar!!

kdm042 here again. An update on my Lexus RX300 situation: The problem I had with the engine idle was caused by a bad idle regulation valve. The valve failed finally, and my vehicle wouldn't stay started unless I kept my foot on the gas peddle. I had to get the vehicle towed to the dealer.

I'll give the dealer credit: They had a loaner waiting for me, and my vehicle was back in my possession with the repair completed by 6 p.m. the day I turned it in. Which was, by the way, the day after the July 4th holiday.

• 4 weeks later...

I came here today specifically looking for a thread like this. I am so unhappy with my dealer right now I could scream. Long story short, EVERY time I take it in for something that should be warrantied, they try to tell me it's not covered. I have the 100,000 Certified Lexus Warranty and currently have 76,000 miles on my 2000 RX300.

The latest is weird-the HANDLE on the back hatch broke! I did not do anything to it-one day I tried to open it and it just jiggled-kind of like when it's locked. So I take it in and it takes them 90 minutes to tell me that the handle is broken and they need to order a part. And that they called the Corporation and it is NOT covered under warranty. AND it will cost ME $423.00!! I am so stunned. I paid extra money for this vehicle so that I would have the certified warranty. I could have purchased it from a non-Lexus dealer for much cheaper, but thought I would have better coverage by going through THEIR dealer.

We called Lexus and "Raul" told us he'll speak to his boss and get back to us within 2 days.

I am seriously considering NOT buying another Lexus because there are only two dealers within a reasonable driving distance from me and this is BS. Plus this stupid dealer once again did NOT have a loaner for me so I had to sit there the whole time.

I am thoroughly disappointed by this and hope that the corporation will help me out. Otherwise I know for sure I will NOT buy another Lexus. I'll be in the market for a new SUV within the next year, and I'll tell you, right now the BMW is looking mighty nice.

VERY DISAPPOINTED IN LEXUS OF BROOKFIELD, WISCONSIN

Jill

• Like 1

I have an RX300 year 2000 and for some reason whenever im driving it sounds like I have a flat tire and when I speed up like on the highways my car starts shaking a lot!! I took it to some place to check it out and they said I need to replace my back passenger side rotor??? Im totally lost, how do I know if this is true. I think I may have hit a curb a couple times, would it mess up the rotor? Please help me  :cries:  Thanks!!

my experience has been when the car shakes at higher speed the tires are out of balance. cheap fix--balance and rotate.

When you are braking, and the car shutters then you have issues with the rotors. Ceramic brake pads which are great for low brake dust, they do waste your rotors quicker than regular pads.

Rotors work with your brakes, not acelleration.

About a month ago i purchased a 1999 RX300 4wd with 66k miles on it.

I noticed a loud exhaust problem with mine and took it to a shop, where they had told me that i have a possible cracked exhaust manifold but they are not sure.

After reading all the posts on the exhaust i'm hopnig that it is not the manifold.

Also noticed it was sucking more gas then my 2001 BMW 740i M package and M engine, a 4.4l 385hp engine.

My 740 was swallowing 17-19mpg while on the data screen the lexus gives me 16mpg, also guessing it could be the cracked manifold, but personally i'm outraged!

Sometimes i get slow excelleration, and other times the car just launches, but i deffinetelly do feel loss of power in the engine.

If anyone has any ideas please do suggest before i start picking the mechanics brain on this issue.

:chairshot:

I don't know if this is where I am supposed to post this, so I hope this is the right place... I have a 2000 RX 300. I love it BUT I have had a few problems, and the main one that is driven me crazy since my 10,000 check up, is the rattle vibration noise at the dash on the drivers side.., The dealership service dept. has tried to fix it with no results, it still makes that noise..... Not all the time, but the majority of the time.

My car is now 5 yrs old with 45,000 miles on it. I am the original owner, I am very particular about my car and keep it looking new.

I have just recently noticed the hesitation with the transmission that has been mentioned, and my car as I post this is being serviced, so I hope they do fix it.

My glove box has to be slammed to shut, they supposedly adjusted it the last time it went for a check up.... but it still needs to be slammed hard to close.

So that has been my experience with my Lexus.. BUT like I mentioned at the beginning of this post.... I do love my Lexus!!! I also want to mention that I do like the RX 300 better then I like the RX330. It feels alot more spacious inside.

The only thing I like better about the RX 330 is the turning radius.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is where I am supposed to post this, so I hope this is the right place... I have a 2000 RX 300. I love it BUT I have had a few problems, and the main one that is driven me crazy since my 10,000 check up, is the rattle vibration noise at the dash on the drivers side.., The dealership service dept. has tried to fix it with no results, it still makes that noise..... Not all the time, but the majority of the time.

My car is now 5 yrs old with 45,000 miles on it. I am the original owner, I am very particular about my car and keep it looking new.

I have just recently noticed the hesitation with the transmission that has been mentioned, and my car as I post this is being serviced, so I hope they do fix it.

My glove box has to be slammed to shut, they supposedly adjusted it the last time it went for a check up.... but it still needs to be slammed hard to close.

So that has been my experience with my Lexus.. BUT like I mentioned at the beginning of this post.... I do love my Lexus!!! I also want to mention that I do like the RX 300 better then I like the RX330. It feels alot more spacious inside.

The only thing I like better about the RX 330 is the turning radius.

I am experienceing poor accelleration when the weather is real hot. I get no codes or lights. Then the next morning the car runs fine. I have 116k on the vehicle and have never changed the fuel filter or cleaned the map sensor. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I own a 1999 RX 300. Paid $19,500. Have had the car for 2 years. It had 50k miles when I purchased now it has 112k miles. Problems:

1. Brakes. I need rotors. Is this a common Lexus problem. Squeaky brakes but every place that I took it said I did not need shoes or pads. Now I need rotors? How much and where can I purchase them. I have a mechanic to put them on for me.

2. Auto Fuel Ratio Sensor. Check engine light came on and I took it to dealer. They said I need this part. Can I get it from somewhere else and find a good mechanic to install it for me. How much should it cost?

3. What type of gas is best? I've been using regular unleaded. Should I upgrade?

4. Someone backed into me and broke the Lexus emblem (the L) on the front. Where can I get one?

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

:chairshot: I know all you Lexus purest will probably hate me, but I'm sure there are some "old school" sports car enthusiast that will want to help me out with my little project car. Having said that, I have a 2002 RX300 that has been lowered with springs and shocks to remedy the handling duties. I have been trying to locate someone with larger sway bars to complete this task.

Then, I plan on moving forward with the power/performance segment of the project where I will need to locate a supplier for header, cold air intake system, 3" tailpipe and nice sounding muffler. Then on to the final phase of full body kit or individual body pieces "makeover" to include a hood scoop. Paintable items only as I will not have a "Chromed out Queen" car.

What I need from you guys is to find the people who can supply the items needed for my project car, even if it is people who can supply a custom application item.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to be a part of this "makeover". :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

We own a 1999 RX 300. We are the second owners of a former lease vehicle. When we bought it it had 42K now it's approaching 75K miles. We just had an oil change, and oil changer was sloppy and spilled a bit of oil and it's been burning off as we drive. Now the check engine light comes on, which is puzzling since we just had a 65K service done by a toyota dealer. The car runs fine except it knocks a little bit during hard acceleration. Can anyone give us some clues of what may be happening? Does that light just come on when a service interval is approaching or should we get it checked again?

• 2 weeks later...

Check engine lights come on for a multitude of reasons. You need to find out the computer code that was set. Go to Autozone and they will read the code for free. The code won't necessarily tell you what the problem is but it will tell you where to start looking. As for knocking, despite the wording in the owner's manual, this car needs premium gas.

Check your gas cap, and then type in check engine light to see what comes up under the threads.

Thanks for your reply- I'm new to this site so can you help me with searching under the threads- show I just use the search button?