Trunk Lid

mrettig

That is really way too much money. The struts can be found elsewhere much cheaper and are not hard to replace by yourself. I'll get more info, but for the meantime check e-bay and various car parts sites on line through google or whatever. You should be able to come across them fairly easily.

Good luck.

P.S. in the FAQ, lex400sc has a link to a very thorough site he created that has some very good info, the trunk is in there. Check it out.

Struts may be located here:

http://www.parts.com/index.cfm?action=find...Store&makeid=20

Or pm me and I can give some contact info for another place. Also listed in lex's site.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still looking for Trunk Lid Stuts, Private Message me. I can get you stocks.

I didn't even know there was a stut there.

AWJ. Does our 95's have struts or something else that's holding the lid up?

Yea - we all have those struts. I'd take a picture but that is out of the question for now. :( Check some of the parts sites and ebay and all that good stuff for oem replacement struts. I saw them sell for 25$ and some change or something like that somewhere. I'll check up on that.

Description

"Shocks vs. Struts – What is the difference?

Shocks and struts serve the same basic purpose – to lessen the amount of bounce in your tire and therefore stabilize your vehicle.

Because struts are more important to the overall operation of the vehicle, they tend to be more costly."

http://209.115.190.42/mech/shocks.htm 08:35 (3/19/2003).

Overall, a shock is only part of a strut. there is an upper piece that makes up a Strut Tower. In some cars the Struts need to be replaced instead of the shock because of the way they built the suspension.

I question the link as they are trying to sell their service with little explanation other than it costs more because it is more important. Raises a flag to me.

But I concede - they are trunk lifts. Not automobile suspension pieces. Shock, strut, tomato, tomato. As far as the trunk is concerned. We can discuss suspension in another thread if that is desired. ;)

HERE IS KIND OF A "NEW" QUESTION BUT THEN AGAIN MAYBE NOT.

ARE THE SHOCKS/STRUTS THAT HOLD UP THE TRUNK LID THE SAME ONES THAT HOLD UP THE HOOD? MY TRUNK LID WOULD NOT STAY UP TILL THE WEATHER WARMED , THEN THE SHOCKS SEEM TO REGAIN THEIR STRENGHT. IS THIS A NORMAL OCCURANCE?

I didn't realize you're location. Do you visit CSS? The hood lift shocks are different than those on the trunk. The hood weighs a lot more. I don't have a part number handy. I can get one if desired. As far as weather is concerned - it is possible if these items are gas filled and sealed. I think they are, so expansion and contraction of a fluid in a cylinder should be considered. They are probably older now so if it bothers you, replace them.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, new in town..Just saw the thread and wanted to throw in my two cents. I am an asst. manager of advance auto parts and we have those replacement supports for $30 a piece. If you don't have one of our stores around your area go to any auto parts store and ask for "lift supports" they should have them. If they don't got to our web site http://partsamerica.com and you can order them there.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed out my trunk struts w/ aftermarket item. lasted about 3 years in Las Vegas. Current set installed a few months ago (prior set lost gas) and lubed the inner-shafts w/ silicon -- maybe they will last even longer than 3 years. :)

Good. The original ones should last at least seven, even in the hot desert.

Do you have something heavy on your trunk, like a non-stock spoiler? I ask because I'm kind of curious why they wore out so quickly.