Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

Hey where are you getting your chip from? i am looking for some more power to my 92 sc400

Dang people. Read the first post and keep all this other crap off!!!!! Damn newbs, lol ;)

1992 sc400 purchased 02/15/2009 for $2300 found it on CL (seller sent me $300 check one month later after bitching about all the repairs i had to do which initially totaled $1300 for water pump, timing belt, plugs wires etc..., so total purchase price $2000 not too shabby.)

Car had 188500 when purchased and by 188700 i had blown the water pump.

Since i purchased the car i spent $1250 on water pump, timing belt, plugs, rotors, caps, transmission flush, full syn. oil change. I had the work done at Lithia Toyota in Medford, Oregon. Worst repair experience i have ever had. Had to go back 3 days later when the aftermarket piece o' crap water pump failed and made a mess in my garage. After that i had to take it back because they did not burp the cooling system properly and i was not getting heat and my light was coming on occasionally. Also asked that they check the ATF level due to slippage and poor shifting. They burped the system and said all fluid levels were correct. I went back a few days later and asked why an oil leak had started to develop and to ask that they check the ATF again to make sure it was topped off. I was told the oil leak was residual from the hydrolic cooling fan assembly from when they did the 2nd pump and said ATF was good. So i finally took it upon myself to crawl under the car and see whats going on. Come to find out they overfilled my transmission with 1 1/2 quarts too much fluid(coming out check tube basically) and i stuck the dipstick in the service managers face when i went back down and also bitched about my main seal leaking as i discovered that to be the actual leak(never leaked anything before the water pump ordeal). I tried complaining but was told they are not a lexus dealer, i then pointed the carquest accessory belt they charged me $75 for and told them they weren't much of a dealer at all!

Long story short, if you live in the Rogue Valley in Oregon save yourself the time i have wasted and go to Kendall in Eugene or even better, do it yourself!

Tried to clean up the steering wheel with a crappy "one size fits all" cover and broke my windshield, that was fun. $300 Novus.

I have since detailed the interior meticulously and everything cleaned well except leather which is on the list for replacement.

K&N air filter, no bfi yet, but i leave my flap open and get much better response(growls).

Changed out worn tires and made 100% improvment on handling. Previous owner recently did passenger side window regulator, kyb's all around, coolant resevoir and new radiator(shibby!).

I took it upon myself to change the quote"non-serviceable" atf filter and replaced the fluids with dexron/mercon III as recommended by Shucks and i havn't had any problems with the tranny since. Although i have to do the transmission mounts and motor mounts while i am at it with the main seal.

Changed the trunk struts, trunk still doesnt open on its own when lever is pulled, but my risk of concussion is greatly reduced and now i use the trunk all the time!

Optima redtop 35(?) series sitting on a few layers of cardboard, I also had to bend the 90degree battery terminals straight but it stretched just right!

I also plan on getting the TC rebuilt with higher stall when i do the main seal.

I'm going to get Lextech to do the guages: green needles to match the car and super 16 white background.

Climate control blackout does not bother me unless i am wearing polorized sunglasses.

Getting an S&S header sometime 2010 and probably full custom dual w/xpipe

UNICHIP scheduled a few months away. $600 installed and road and dyno tuned and if you read posts on planetsoarer forums i can expect 10% increase in power regardless of mods. For extra $250 you bring your own windows mobile PDA and they load software that lets you monitor a/f ratios, 0-60, 0-100 and a bunch of other cool stuff. Sounds worth it and i'm very excited, especially excited for economy mode on unichip for highway cruising, can you say 30mpg v8 sports car?

I am also considering a custom two-tone that plays along with body lines, but the more i look at the pearl green, the more i love it.

Think thats pretty much it. Window and tail light tint is in the plans and i'm also really wanting to take off all chrome when i get a repaint(even if stock color) and get black chrome for badge, window trim, stock 10 spokes. I think with the black chrome all around, tinted tail lights and windows and the almost black green color this thing will look mean.

BTW: I am 25/m and my liability insurance is $35/mo from Am Fam but they wont let me full coverage a 17yr old car! Think i'll switch.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 97 sc300 at 140k miles and love it. It's the Diamond White Pearl kinda color. I believe that's the name.

The problems with the car when I bought it.

1. Cigarette Lighter wasn't working

2. Tire vibration

3. Paint Chipping on inside of the passenger door.

4. Exactly 5 itty bitty rock chips.

5. 12 disc CD player says Error

6. Middle Sub doesn't seem to work.

7. Memory Seats not working

Other than that the car seemed fine.

1. Cigarette Lighter replacement cost me around $30

2. Power Steering Fluid was extremely low

3 & 4. I bought touch up paint from Lexus. $16

5. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG

6. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG.

7. I found out the car needs to be on and in park. You press the button Set and 1 at the same time until you hear beep.

So do I need to get a new sub, new amp, or headunit? I don't want to replace the speakers because the Front and Rear regular ones seem to play very nice. I want to know why the CD player has an error.

Toyota was wanting to charge me $100 JUST TO LOOK AT THE CAR... oh sigh

Best Buy told me the only way to replace something was to replace everything and I really don't want to do that. I'm just looking for an easy fix since the speakers in it already sound so good.

I just bought a 97 sc300 at 140k miles and love it. It's the Diamond White Pearl kinda color. I believe that's the name.

The problems with the car when I bought it.

1. Cigarette Lighter wasn't working

2. Tire vibration

3. Paint Chipping on inside of the passenger door.

4. Exactly 5 itty bitty rock chips.

5. 12 disc CD player says Error

6. Middle Sub doesn't seem to work.

7. Memory Seats not working

Other than that the car seemed fine.

1. Cigarette Lighter replacement cost me around $30

2. Power Steering Fluid was extremely low

3 & 4. I bought touch up paint from Lexus. $16

5. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG

6. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG.

7. I found out the car needs to be on and in park. You press the button Set and 1 at the same time until you hear beep.

So do I need to get a new sub, new amp, or headunit? I don't want to replace the speakers because the Front and Rear regular ones seem to play very nice. I want to know why the CD player has an error.

Toyota was wanting to charge me $100 JUST TO LOOK AT THE CAR... oh sigh

Best Buy told me the only way to replace something was to replace everything and I really don't want to do that. I'm just looking for an easy fix since the speakers in it already sound so good.

Nakamichi is a "full up" audio system- the head unit talks to the amp, the amp is set up to drive a 1 ohm subwoofer using class D. So your best bet is to find a replacement CD player and keep it stock. Or tear it apart and replace the spindle motor, those wear out after a few thousand hours. Or get everything replaced....

Good luck!

1995 SC300 5 speed

I'm the 5th owner

purchased March 2009

Price: $7500 from private seller

123000 miles and completely bone stock(for now)

Problem: Clutch pedal stuck to floor and won't disengage after shifting from 1st to 2nd or when put in reverse....tried bleeding the clutch master cylinder but didn't help much...wondering if its the slave cylinder or the clutch?

1995 SC 400, Automatic, 135K miles. Stock for now... engine mods will be first (it's got 100 HP and 100 lbs torque to catch up with my truck)

It has 135K miles and is in good shape. Mechanically everything in the car is sound. The exterior is fine, minus a couple of scratches the dogs put on the hood (it was in the backyard being driven once or twice a week for about a year). The midrange in the sound system is blown, I checked to see if she blew the speakers or fried something else.

As for the problems that I am worried about (in order of importance):

Tach and speedometer work half of the time, half of the time kick on after driving for five to ten minutes. (at least they still light up)

AC LED fogged up.

Passenger side power window doesn't work

Trunk lid struts are shot

Both armrests are damaged (cracking door panel)

Passenger seat leather has split.

Passenger side light mounting broken

Fellows,

I have been on this board for a while, but I guess I never properly introduced myself.

I am from Woburn, MA. I bought my 93 SC300 (130k+, Black, 5speed) about 5mths ago for $2000

Everything works at the time of purchase. The only thing I need to take care now is the window regulator.

I used to own an 04 STI, but then the kid came, so I traded my precious STI for a CRV...yea...it still hurt :cries: !

I then talked my wife into buying a 07 WRX wagon as my daily drive. It's not bad, but it's no STI.

Anyway, long story short. The SC is going to be my project/track car.

The car currently is all stock with a set of used 19's. The front (245/45/19) rubs the front inner fender when turn hard, so I guess I will replace the front with some lower profile tires.

Next on the list, either SupraTT/LS400 brake upgrade, cause you all know how the stock brake perform.

Then, 1JZGTE swap!

post-83731-1240509592_thumb.jpg

I have a 1995 sc400 has had minor problems, but recently there has been no heat, air conditioning, and my power outlet do not work. i have a black tip in front of the driver that is chipped off don't know what the problem is. please help

Seems like electrical problems. Check for short circuits or blown fuses

1995 SC300 automatic with 166,000 miles, just got it last month for $3000 from a private owner. Bone stock and not a single leak. The previous owner had it painted, I looked thoroughly and the car neven been to an accident. Had the timing belt replaced at around 110,000 miles. Got to admit it, this car looks great for a 1995, everything works even the CD changer and the interior looks great for a 14 year old car. Drives like a champ.

Maintenance done by me.

Replaced Fuel Filter $20

Change spark plug $30

Radiator Flush $25

Transmission Fluid Flush $10

Rear Differential Drain and Fill $12

Oil Change $25

Cabin Filter $10

Brake Fluid Replaced $10

The head light is kind a foggy so i polished it and it looks great.

I ordered 4 new after market chrome wheel caps for $52 dollars at orange county ca, since i can't find a cheaper oem ones , so i'll be selling my old ones.

Did not have a cabin filter so i made one up from home depot.

I probably going to replace the battery for an optima red top.

Insurance cost $178 every six months.

• 2 weeks later...
List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

I have a 1993 SC300 with pearl white paint...250K miles...2JZ motor (mostly hwy)

I'm prolly the 4th owner. I'm not sure about that exactly.

I paid $500 from a friend of mine in New Orleans, LA

I just bought it yesterday (May 13, 2009)

No mods...yet ;)

There are numerous things wrong with it...where to begin :lol:

the wrong radiator was installed so it overheats

power steering pump leaks

exhaust leak...its nice and loud

bad A/C compressor...not good in New Orleans heat

climate control LCD display is out

brake lights on spoiler are out

several rock chips in windshield

2 cracks in windshield

drivers side window won't go up or down

no radio

needs paint

needs a battery

cigarette lighter is kaput

trunk release doesn't work

trunk won't stay open on its own

huge dent in drivers quarter panel

day/night on rear view mirror has a defect

partial dent on corner drivers side bumper cover

dent on pass front fender between door and wheel well

has the wrong emblem on trunk (400 instead of 300)

seat memory forgets

needs a tune up

door panels are worn

seats are lightly worn

missing the cup holder in the dash

that's all I can think of for the moment :lol:

I'll be taking before and after pics since this is a project car for my boyfriend. He's a mechanic so we will only have to pay for parts.

I'm a 38yo (at the time of this post) female. I haven't insured the car yet and won't do so until the car is drivable and has the major problems fixed.

Lexus1

Lexus2

Lexus3

mrzqxw.jpg

1995 SC400

I am the 2nd owner

Original Sticker price: $50,800.00

Purchased from original owner for $3,500.00, Doctor's wife with 95k miles on May 13, 2009 with all regular service documented having been done @ Lexus of Chattanooga except for the Brakes which were done in 2005 @ 77k miles and the Tires which were done in 2003 @ 68k miles. A new battery was installed recently by the dealer prior to sale.

The following "issues" were noted at the time of sale:

Trunk lid spring appears to be either broken or disconnected

Keyless doesn't work (installed new battery in key - works fine)

Power side mirrors don't work (probably a fuse, I'll figure that out this weekend)

12 CD changer is jammed up, probably just worn out.

A few dings and scrapes here and there, most noticeably a good dent to the bottom of the passenger side door.

Car was garage kept it's entire life and other than being a little grungy the original white paint is in excellent condition (car appears to have never been hand washed or hand waxed). The original interior is excellent.

Records indicate no major repairs but a timing belt replacement and valve adjustment were performed by the Dealer in 2007 @ 90k miles

Except for the 1996 Grand Ole Opri parking sticker there are no mods to the car.

I'm 46 and pay $502/yr for insurance.

I've been wanting one of these since that time outside of Amarillo when I couldn't catch one in my then new 1995 Mustang Cobra.

DSC00321.jpg

Hello just bought a 93 lexus sc400 184,000 miles, i really like it drives great. i do have some problems that i will get checked out and have already read some posts on some possible causes to the problems.

so here it goes:

1. when in reverse i apply the brake and it makes a thud noise, i apply it and let it go slightly and it makes the thud noise. this only happens when in reverse, or at least only notice it when in reverse.

2. also when shifting from reverse to drive the car jerks. i apply the brake when changing, and i also allow some time when changing from reverse to drive. stop in between in neutral for a couple seconds. only jerks when changing from reverse to drive, and park to reverse, and park to drive.

these are the only two problems i have with the car, i love the car so far and hope this isnt a major tranny problem, (ive been there with my old car).

i read a couple posts maybe its just the transmission mounts.

as for the first problem i still have no idea what would cause that and i hope someone could let me know what im looking at, and how much im about to spend on both problems. thanks for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Do u guys have any opinions on this car. They are asking 9,800 for the car with the mods. Do I have to worry about anything with these mods and will the car be louder or less smooth. What about the price. ThanksYear: 2000

Make: Lexus

Model: SC 400

Transmission: Automatic

2000 Lexus SC 400 V8 - CYL 4.0 Liter 325 HP, DOHC engine with VVT-I Fuel Injection 5 Speed Automatic ECT-I Transmission, 4-Wheel ind double - wishbone suspension front and rear stabilizing bars, 4 wheel power assisted ventilated disc brakes, Lexus Nakamichi Premium Audio System, 6 CD auto Changer ,Power tilt & one touch slide moon roof, Carpeted trunk and much more. White in color Leather seats with genuine Bird's - Eye wood interior trim. Installed after purchased Kyb suspension lifetime gas Struts,Performance dual exhaust,OBO II Converter. This was the last year this car was made!! Have all receipts for all oil changes and extras added. Also have a Used Car safety inspection report done 4/12/06. Mostly garaged hardly used. Beautiful car smooth ride.Has 118,000 Miles but if you know these cars they go up and over 300,000 miles!! Priced under KBB should be able to 100% finance!!! Great deal.....$10,300.00 Firm. Serious Buyers only!. This car is beautiful, fast and Luxurious!!!

i got a 92 sc300 with the 2jz i was out racing shreaded the fan took out the water pump and ripped the alternator bracket off the motor....it was still running afterwords but i stoped to make sure i didnt tear anything else up..had it towed fixed all that...and now it wont start nothing electronic will work except the door ajar light...the battery is not dead...i also put on a new timing belt...i've tryed replacing the efi main relay..and various other random fuses...i've looked over all of the wiring in the car there is nothing loose or out of place all looks clean... can someone PLEASE HELP ME i've already sunk about $800 in parts in the last week on it..

I drive a 1993 Lexus SC400. Its a crimson red color.

The car has 143k miles on it but i purchased it for $1.

The previous owner didnt drive it and was giving it away. Everything under the hood has been replaced except for the four cam engine.

There are new hoses, a new radiator, new intake soon to be replaced with an Injen short ram. The sound system has also been updated with a newer system instead of the old 93 one. Its the same system just newer. It has a new alternator, starter, induction system.

Soon to be installed will be:

Injen Short Ram

Dual Deck Head Unit

Taban or Magna Flo Exhausts

Strut Tower

Headers

New Paint Job and Wood Grain kit

• 2 weeks later...

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

OKAY HERE GOES...

SC300 1992, HAVE NO CLUE HOW MANY HAVE OWNED IT, MY DAD BOUGHT IT OFF MY BOSS ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO, MY BOSS OWNED IT MAYBE A YEAR, IT WAS IMPOUNDED BY ONE OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENTS WE TOW FOR.

I PAID $500 ON 6/15/09 SO IT'S MY NEW (VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX) BEATER.

I HAVE REPLACED THE BATTERY. $100

I HAVE NEW WINTER WIPERS. $20

I HAVE A SET OF 15 IN 97 ES RIMS FOR WINTER, AS THE AFTER MARKET 18'S WILL COME OFF. COST FOR 15'S/WITH A COUPLE OF GOOD TIRES $0.00 (THANKS BOSS)

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON, COST TO GET CODE $60... EGR VALVE, HOWEVER MECHANIC SEZ EGR IS FINE BUT PASSAGE IN INTAKE IS CLOGGED??? I SAID, OKAY I HAVE TO GO ALMOST THAT FAR TO CHANGE THE PLUGS, I'LL DO IT MYSELF... ANY POINTER'S? CAR HAS THE 3.0 LITER WITH 178,000 MILES, AND PURRS LIKE A KITTEN.

NEEDS INNER DOOR HANDLES (BOTH), LEFT DOOR MAP POCKET PANEL, REAR VIEW MIRROR, CLIMATE CONRTOL LED, A/C FIXED, POWER ANTENNA FIXED, CD CHANGER FIXED, SPEEDO/TACH NEEDLES LOOK LIKE A BAD NEON SIGN, MEMORY SEAT FUNCTION A NO GO, LIGHT MISSING AND ASHTRAY COVER NO STAY SHUT AND BRAKES FEEL LIKE THEY ARE NON-POWER, BUT WORK GOOD (THIS NORMAL?).

WHAT I KNOW HAS BEEN DONE... BUMPER COVER, RIGHT FENDER AND DOOR, REPAINTED (DRUNK WHO GOT PULLED OVER , PULLED TO FAR RIGHT), COMPUTER REPLACED WITH REMAN, SOME FUEL COMPUTER WAS REPLACED AT A LEXUS DEALER... THAT'S ALL i KNOW... FROM WHAT i HAVE BEEN TOLD, THE RIMS AND TIRES ARE WORTH 4 TIMES WHAT I PAID, SO ANYONE NEED A SWEET SET OF RIMS???

AGE 43 INSURANCE $222 FOR 6 MONTHS FULL COVERAGE $500 DEDUCTABLE

NO PICS YET, IVORY INTERIOR/GREEN EXTERIOR

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 1992 Lexus sc400. I've noticed recently the power stering has started leaking, I add power stering fluid it stops, after 3-4 days the fluid is low and it starts to squel again, I add more fluid and it stops and the same thing all over again. I'm a female and I don't want to get ripped at the dealership. Do you think it's the actual power stering pump or the lines?

• 3 weeks later...
I own a 1992 Lexus sc400. I've noticed recently the power stering has started leaking, I add power stering fluid it stops, after 3-4 days the fluid is low and it starts to squel again, I add more fluid and it stops and the same thing all over again. I'm a female and I don't want to get ripped at the dealership. Do you think it's the actual power stering pump or the lines?

Hun replace the pump ASAP. If you dont, the fluid will leak into your alternator and youll have to replace it too. I just replaced mine. The pump was 188 at auto zone and I would find a non dealership mechanic to do the work.

I bought a 95 lexus sc 400 in feb 2009 and the brakes go farther than usual but i guess i need to change the rear brakes but the car was overall new condition..I paid $2500 and i recently put some 22" inch rims abouth the 4th of july on my car and just yesterday my transmission is going bad. I cant go in reverse but yesterday I change the filter/strainer and fluids and it was running like new until today the reverse gear stopped working. Do you think it was the rims because the car looks like a toy car and im in love with the rims on it I just need to know can I get a transmission that will be strong enough to hold up or do I need to just sell it and get a ES300 that uses cheaper parts and 87 gas...Someone please give me advice im confused........mistadontplay55@aol.com :wacko:

bought a 95 lexus sc 400 in feb 2009 withe like 109,000miles and the brakes go farther than usual but i guess i need to change the rear brakes but the car was overall new condition..I paid $2500 and i recently put some 22" inch rims abouth the 4th of july on my car and just yesterday my transmission is going bad. I cant go in reverse but yesterday I change the filter/strainer and fluids and it was running like new until today the reverse gear stopped working. Do you think it was the rims because the car looks like a toy car and im in love with the rims on it I just need to know can I get a transmission that will be strong enough to hold up or do I need to just sell it and get a ES300 that uses cheaper parts and 87 gas...Someone please give me advice im confused........mistadontplay55@aol.com

• 2 months later...

Hello fellas! Just bought myself a half-decent SC300. 1992, Champagne, tan interior, cheap chrome wheels and a fuel delivery problem I found out about 5 miles down the road after I bought it. It's DUMPING fuel, the oil fills with gas after a few days, smokes like crazy and smells of raw, unburnt fuel so it's undriveable a this point. The check engine light came on along with the oil pressure and oil temp lights. I towed it back. Hopefully not too much damage was done. I bought some 10-30 royal purple, does anybody recommend some sort of additive? Lucas? Prolong? Slick 50?

There is no coolant loss, so it's not the head gasket. It could also be the notorius valve stem seals, but there is no way to tell until I fix this fuel problem first. I've read the computer is the likely problem because the regulator vacuum hose is dry and the pump is feeding plenty of fuel. I've also been told the only way I can replace the computer is if it's the exact same part number.

Does anybody have any suggestions or similar problems OR parts?

I'm pretty sure it's the computer, there was some water damage and was not repairable. (Yep, I tried to repair it.)

I'd really appreciate any help, suggestions or clues to fixing this fuel issue. If there are any checks or diagnostic tricks you guys know of I'm up for those as well.

Thanks!

Cale A.

MN

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

When it was done.

93 SC400

3 Registered Owner

Bought Oct 2008, not put on the road til March 2009 (NY winter)

291,000 Miles, orginal engine, paid $2600

General Maint.

Replaced Engine DIY with help Sept. 22 2009, @ 302,000 miles

Cost of replacement Engine $520 at auction for a 1UZ-FE with 36,000 miles, $92 for Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium) $152 wires, Royal Purple Oil (5W-30) & filters $50.

Pioneer AVH-4100DVD Touchscreen Unit

Hidden GPS Radio Tracking Tag

Forward & Rear Facing DVR cameras with 500GB harddrive *purchased, yet to be installed* Which will really help with insurance rates...

Custom 2tone Leather seats *purchased, yet to be installed*

I still need to get it repainted also...

Considering installing a wifi hub, but that might be a tad extreme... but still considering it...

This is my 2nd SC, sold the first one, 92 sc300, it broke my heart so much I needed to get another...

33 years old, but was a tad irresponsible as a younger man, $1600 per year for full coverage, with GEICO, but I am considering switching to Progressive