Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

I just bought a '92 SC300 and the 12 disc cd changer does not work. Does anybody know how to fix it or what I have to buy?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&hl=changer

RX7, here you go. I got a 6 disc from an ES, and rigged it to work decent in mine. The connector is the same, just have to bend and modify the brackets to mount it. I made a cut in my carpet too. It's not the prettiest thing, but if I had spare carpet, and means to cut the brackets down to size, it could look a lot better. you'll see I included pics in one of my posts about it.

My 12 disc cd changer says "err" too, how do you fix it?!?!

When you find out what needs to be done to fix the cd changer let me know mine won't work either

96 SC300.

I went to car audio shop and they sent my changer (95 SC300 with std. sound syatem) to a factory service center and got it repaired/overhauled for around $200.00. They told me the changer was a Panasonic unit. The thing works great since I got it back.

I've got a 92 SC400. The temperature gauge had risen really high for about a day or two. Then on the second day, while driving, the temperature gauge goes sky high and it cuts off and won't restart for about a half hour. I get it to some crackpot mechanic who puts it on a lift and he shows me that it's leaking antifreeze from the around the waterpump. The drip is almost a constant flow. We fill it with antifreeze and the car starts and I take it home. The next morning, I have a problem getting it to start and puffs of white smoke come out of the exhaust pipe. It also sounds like it coughing from the exhaust pipe. After four or five tries it starts and runs fine. I take it to a mechanic in the Bronx and he tells me that the repairs are too extensive and he can't do them. But, he says all I have to do it continue to check the coolant level and it'll be okay. I let it sit for three or four days. Before I start it, I see that the coolant level is extremely low, I fill it up with coolant and start the car. I attempt to drive about eight miles and the car cuts off on me, sputters and when I idle I have to put it in Neutral and keep a foot on the gas or it'll cut off. The car sits for about 14 hours and afterwards it won't start.

I told this to a mechanic who works on Lexus' and he says he thinks I need a new engine. He quoted me a price of $1200 for the engine (with 50K) and $800 for the labor. I'm interested in opinions.

Sounds like a head gasket to me!

Pearl White with Tan interior, 1999 SC 300. Bought it 14 months ago from a private owner in Portland Oregon with 57,000 miles, for $18,000. It now has 76,000 miles with no problems. I bought this car after buying my wife a 2002 LS430 and was sold on Lexus. I must admit though, that the SC-300 feels awfully Toyota'ish next to the LS430!

The car is in beautiful shape, and for the most part, I love it. It's bone stock, and so far runs perfectly with everything working as designed.

The only complaints I have are:

1. Twitchy and nervous handling on any road surface that isn't glass smooth. Replaced the tires with Goodyear KDW's but no help.

2. The radio (Lexus Premiun, not Nakamichi) won't hold the radio stations very well. Stations often sound like they are 100 miles away.

Other than those two things, the car has been flawless so far!

My first post here. I bought my 93 SC400 in August 07 for 1,500.00. The owner told me they wiped out with it and hit a curb. Looked more like a median with some light rear quarter damage. When I got the car on a lift I seen that all of the drivers side rear suspension had to be replaced. Being a mechanic, I bought the axle, strut, upper control arm, spindle and everything else associated with the rear for 300.00. The car has 186,000 miles on it and runs beautiful. The only otherthing i had to do was replace a weak battery and it been great to me ever since. I do have a slight problem though, after the car sits for a couple hours, i will go out and start it. It runs for about 3 seconds then shuts off. I have to pull the key out, put it back in and try it again. Because if i try to start it with the key still in the ignition it wont fire at all, i have to keep taking the key in and out inorder to start it......after about 5-10 mins of doing this it fires up and runs perfect...im still trying to figure this one out. Other than that its been a smooth, reliable ride...not bad for 1800.00......I finally have my 2 favorite cars i have always wanted...The SC400 and my 95 300zxTT.

My first post here. I bought my 93 SC400 in August 07 for 1,500.00. The owner told me they wiped out with it and hit a curb. Looked more like a median with some light rear quarter damage. When I got the car on a lift I seen that all of the drivers side rear suspension had to be replaced. Being a mechanic, I bought the axle, strut, upper control arm, spindle and everything else associated with the rear for 300.00. The car has 186,000 miles on it and runs beautiful. The only otherthing i had to do was replace a weak battery and it been great to me ever since. I do have a slight problem though, after the car sits for a couple hours, i will go out and start it. It runs for about 3 seconds then shuts off. I have to pull the key out, put it back in and try it again. Because if i try to start it with the key still in the ignition it wont fire at all, i have to keep taking the key in and out inorder to start it......after about 5-10 mins of doing this it fires up and runs perfect...im still trying to figure this one out. Other than that its been a smooth, reliable ride...not bad for 1800.00......I finally have my 2 favorite cars i have always wanted...The SC400 and my 95 300zxTT.

I just bought my 94 sc400 and i had the same problem, what had happened was whoever had the car before myself, put regular fuel instead of premium in it, so they had to flush out the fuel injectors, replace them, and fill em up with premium and let it run for a second, after that was finished, its run smoothly ever since, might want to check it out and see

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my 94 sc400 and i had the same problem, what had happened was whoever had the car before myself, put regular fuel instead of premium in it, so they had to flush out the fuel injectors, replace them, and fill em up with premium and let it run for a second, after that was finished, its run smoothly ever since, might want to check it out and see

This is a comon problem wiht the sc400 its your fuel ECU located on the driversice rear panel "Under the rear side window" There is a paperclip method (jumper 2 points in the engine compartment diagnostic port) to test this there should be a post sowhere in here with more details... but I can say with a 99% confidence the FUEL ECU is the problem..

Pearl White with Tan interior, 1999 SC 300. Bought it 14 months ago from a private owner in Portland Oregon with 57,000 miles, for $18,000. It now has 76,000 miles with no problems. I bought this car after buying my wife a 2002 LS430 and was sold on Lexus. I must admit though, that the SC-300 feels awfully Toyota'ish next to the LS430!

The car is in beautiful shape, and for the most part, I love it. It's bone stock, and so far runs perfectly with everything working as designed.

The only complaints I have are:

1. Twitchy and nervous handling on any road surface that isn't glass smooth. Replaced the tires with Goodyear KDW's but no help.

2. The radio (Lexus Premiun, not Nakamichi) won't hold the radio stations very well. Stations often sound like they are 100 miles away.

Other than those two things, the car has been flawless so far!

I noticed the nervous handling on my 1993 SC400 as well. Bumps and the crown in the center of the road tend to throw mine off pretty good. I think it's just how it is, not much you can do about I don't think. My radio works pretty great, but it's the NAK.

• 5 weeks later...

93' SC400 106.000 miles

I am the 3rd owner, purchased at 92,000miles for $6,000 in April of 07'

Previous owner mentioned being stranded due to alternator. He fixed it but not the source which was the leaking power steering pump.

I had an independent Toyota/Lexus repair shop replace the power steering pump, timing belt and water pump, t-stat, serpentine belt and tensioner for $1360.

Currently trouble shooting a stereo problem with the nakamichi sound system. Volume in rear passenger speaker gets loud when volume is turned down, all other speakers get quiet. I'm having the deck bench tested tomorrow so we'll see where to go from there.

92 SC300 5SPD

just paid 4000 grand

its dark green with tan interior

bodys great,very small dent driver side quaterpanel , mechaniclly sound antenna broke cd doesnt work,

interior is ok, seats worn, carpet worn,

HKS exhust and 6 spoke rims

no problems...tire pressure was low when i bought the car in the front pass side, its pulled real hard up hills.filled it and runs fine.

great car needs a lsd, flywheel and clutch and its will be mint for drifting

92 SC300 5SPD

just paid 4000 grand

its dark green with tan interior

bodys great,very small dent driver side quaterpanel , mechaniclly sound antenna broke cd doesnt work,

interior is ok, seats worn, carpet worn,

HKS exhust and 6 spoke rims

no problems...tire pressure was low when i bought the car in the front pass side, its pulled real hard up hills.filled it and runs fine.

great car needs a lsd, flywheel and clutch and its will be mint for drifting

dont forget suspension too

Lexus SC300 ‘92

I am the 3rd owner of the car, but it has stayed in the family

Car was free, but I had to put a new engine.

I have had the car for a little over a year.

I had the work done to it at a family owned auto shop

It was worked on about 3 months ago

There have been no mods to the car except the engine is from a different sc300 ‘92

I am 21 and I am with Geico

I am having problems with the speedo and RPM gauges… they both wont move when I start the car. As I go faster they stay still until I reach about 70 mph (as told by my GPS) the speedo gauge reached 20 mph and the RPM gauge reaches 1000 RPMs. I am not sure what is wrong, but I really don’t want to pay an arm and a leg to fix it. Please Help!

• 4 weeks later...

its a 92 SC 400

paid 300 dollars for it

got it from a guy on Craigslist.

the guy said it was a bad FUEL PUMP RELAY.

did my research and found no relay,.... came to the conclusion that it is the FUEL PUMP ECU so instead of paying the 400 to fix it, i just ran a wire from the pump to a wire that was hot when the ignition was turned on... the guy's face dropped when i started it!!! he kept asking me when the tow truck was coming!!! anyways. it has a few issues. one: the gauge cluster dont work for nothing. speedo and tach non functional! needles dont light up at all. i am considering sending it to Lextech, but would like to see if it is repairable from my end. Radio didnt work at all when i got it, kept popping 20 A fuses when they were plugged in. did slow diagnostics found out their was a short in the amp.... so i just pulled the whole system: amp, changer, and radio. Climate control LCD is messed up, only shows top half and the LED only lights up the right side. ALSO, the steering rack to crossmember bushing is shot! so everytime i get up to what i guess is 40 mph, it shakes like hell! also, i think the struts are shot... feel every bump in the front left real bad.

think the trans might need some work too... got the O/D off light flashing... sometimes it wont shift to overdrive , sometimes it wont downshift under hard acceleration. probably needs new motor mounts because it clunks when u shift from P to D or R. air bag light needs to be reset due to disconnection of cluster with key on. dont think the ECT/Power switch works.... no change in driving when on. ABS light comes on sometimes and stays on for a while.

any assistance with these issues, please PM ME

I am military, and a mechanic by trade.

92 SC300 130kmiles needles burnt out or bad connection.. torn front seats , driver door panel looks like hell.. door hinges shot keep on grabbing the fender.. steering wheel worn... no radio and left behind a *BLEEP* load of amp/speakers wire going all over the car....shot speakers... came with 18's Arelli Jovan rims :) but tires shot...:(... needed a new batt one headlight bulb... valve cover gasket... so i changed the plugs and wires, bosch iridium 4, bought jdm soarer rims and slapped on some walmart snow tires.. broken attenna...could see some small crack in the rear from body filler but the paint over it dont look to bad...needed to front lower control arms the bushing were shot.. replaced those... and steering rack bushings and power steering hose. all replaced..needs e-brake shoes.. but other then that and paid $2500 for it and it being preety rare in my area not bad.. Fast car in my area... and just bought a 2jzgte :) so im excited for the swap soon.. Regardless i love my SC.....any one want a auto tranny from it? or a engine 2jzge and another auto tranny?

• 2 weeks later...

Car: 1995 SC300

I bought my SC300 5spd in Baltimore in a few weeks ago. Its black with tan interior with 178K miles. I did the basic tune-up (oil, air fillter, and belts) I've had to replace much else exept the carpet. Im planing to install a exclusive body kit on it. I have orders my new chrome HRE 860R rims and falken tires. Performance wise im planing a HKS stroker kit and a single turbo. also i will be swaping a 6spd trans. into the mix. Ill be posting pix as soon as the body kit is installed in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, this is my first post.

1993 SC300 - 158k miles, paid 1900$ for it.

I am a former Audi enthusiast (TT 225 w/Mods) and still a family Chevy Camaro enthusiast (have a project 69 Camaro and plan on buying the new one next year)

I thought it would be hard to touch the detail and willingness to help in the Audi community, but you guys are doing it right as well :-)

SC300 is red and has just about every problem i've read on here about.

1) Tach and MPH needles black

2) A/C LCD not lit up except for strip of top bar, making it useless

3) Truck lid doesn't stay up

4) Interior pretty much looks horrible, seats cracked, carpet dirty, dash pieces cracked

5) Tilt steering wheel locked in all out all up position

6) Suspension is decent but the car seems to be riding a bit high, will be due for some upgrades

7) Oil is leaking I think from the front of the engine (so maybe timing belt from what i have read) Engine bay looks like someone threw a balloon full of oil in there, not pretty. There is a sticker on the top of the engine that says the timing belt was replaced around 135k miles, so I'm not sure if it is common for them to break again so quickly. (I actually read the forum rules, and will be posting new topics for questions I am seeking answers)

8) Headlights need to be polished, light is not passing through like it should be

9) taillights have condensation in them from an obvious leak somewhere

10) Front passenger fender needs to be replaced

11) Auto transmission shifter is cracked and needs to be replaced

12) I put Premium gas in it at the QT station by my house for the first time, and the car didn't crank when i went to leave. My heart sank. I tried it again and it worked, but for the rest of the trip home it seemed like it wanted to die every time i came to a complete stop. I did get me home though.

13) Passenger door window doesn't seem to want to roll up or down.

14) Airbag light is on

15) Brake light is on

16) Stereo is broken i guess, doesn't power on. Speakers all look like they were removed and then shoved back in. (almost like a 10 minute "return to stock stereo" type of job)

17) Power side mirrors don't seem to be working

18) Ground cable in bad shape (battery wasn't fastened in any way, slide over towards belt and belt rubbed the cable almost in half.)

19) While driving at night, occasionally headlights lights and dash will loose power with right set of blinkers running.

Thats all i can think of / have discovered at the moment. All that being said I still love the car. Since I bought it fairly cheap I dont feel so bad putting some money in it and making it a bit more respectable. I bought this car to be my daily driver, knowing i would have to breath some new life into it.

The previous owners were pretty rough on the SC, and made some horrible home-made fixes I dont wish on any car.

It looks good still, it will still run, and the after-market is awesome. I have always love the SC's and am very excited and pleased to now be a part of this world. I will keep the forum updated with my progress on things, and my experiences with DIY and shop prices/quality of work.

My major future mods I plan on are:

1) 1JZGTE TT swap ( i have so many questions here )

2) Eibach / Koni setup / bushings

3) Would LOVE to drop a Standard trans in it, but dont know if it would blow my swap budget

4) New carpet / and leather seat covers (not sure if I'm going to try and save the 300.00 and go synthetic or not)

Thanks for reading, again happy to be here and very happy to finally be a SC300 owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I have an occuring problem that I can't seem to fix. My SC300(92) with 130k has been smoking out of the exhaust for a while now. I thought the original problem was with my ECU, but I just don't know anymore. The car is not burning any oil (Oils is clean/has 1800 miles on it) and the gas mileage is good (17-19mpg). It is also not leaking any coolant and the car doesn't overheat at all. Below is a list of my problems:

1 Battery dies often (went through 3 batteries in 2 months)

2 Car sputters and smokes extremely bad when engine warms up.

3 No check engine light comes on at all.

4 Color of smoke (white w/ bluish tint) real rich smell.

These are just a few of the problems that is keeping my car from running.

So far the only MODS I have done is an Injen Intake and a JIC Magic exhaust system. The car idles at 1500 when first crank up. When she warms up she goes down to 8 then starts to smoke and smell of a unburnt fuel. I have been to mechanics and they tell me the ECU is the problem and others say that it is a MAF (mass airfrow) problem . Other mechanics say that I have a clog in my catalytic converter. I just don't know. Please help. Any advice would be greatful

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. New to this forum. Let me know what you think. My SC400 has 332,000 miles of which I put 304,000 on the car. Bought it off lease in 94. Came with some HOT chrome and gold high end rims (can't remember the brand at the moment, but think they were MHT's). Took the car on a road trip to Detroit and some road salt chipped the hood. I was *BLEEP*ed! Took it to the dealer for a touch up on a day when the east coast service manager happened to be there. The guy could have easily blew me off, but pointed out that the paint was "raining" around the "road rash" which meant it didn't have enough primer before being painted and ruled it a factory defect. End result, new paint job! That was the beginning of a beautiful relationship with my 16 year old SC400 Coupe and Lexus.

It's mainly a weekend car now. My son calls it a garage queen, but I drove this puppy everyday for years, even when I owned other rides. I love driving this car to this day. Still runs to 125 MPH stock with no shimmy, straining or huffing and puffing. If you take of it, it will take care of you.

Upgraded the stereo to a Alpine duel amp system. Left in the factory head unit because I didn't wasn't to mess with the dash (I like the incognito look and am old school). Confiscated my son's 12 inch Xplode and installed high end Boston Pro's all around. Running on new BF's on 17's (didn't want the car to ride harder than it does) with some fly silver brushed with polished lip rims. Just replaced the lower right control arm.

Replaced all the suspension bushings about 3 years ago. Replaced the stock shocks with some sport tuned KYB's all around at that time. Replaced the 12 disk CD changer (Ebay). Second paint job about 4 tears ago by a Lexus authorized body shop - (Massapequa) Could have been a bit better on the detail but not a bad job.

As far as repairs goes, with 300,000+ miles, stuff will ware out, but I've only changes the expected mechanicals once. One water pump, one traction control computer ($60 Ebay), break lines, etc. The trickiest was another factory defect with the negative power harnest. Car would die then come back to life. Freaky. Changed the water pump and timing belt at 92,000. Getting ready to do it again. Dealer says if the water pump does not leak, the belt should last. So far they are right but I don't want to push it.

You new SC4 owners can use me as a resource. Due to my miles and overall excellent condition, my Coupe was the first to exhibit some unknown issues that the dealer had not seen until then, but worked with me to diagnose and remedy.

Let me know if anyone out there has more miles and what you experience has been. Share with me your war stories.

I'll post some pix when I have some spare time. Overall, this is the best car I've ever owned! More reliable than my Porsche 928, not as hot as my 930 Turbo but way more practical and inexpensive to own and operate. Blows away all the American cars I've owned. 332,000 on the original power train and going strong! Anybody have a similar experience?

For item #19, sounds like your negative power cable. I had the same issue. Put on the turn signal and the car dies? Not a cheap fix.

Hello, this is my first post.

1993 SC300 - 158k miles, paid 1900$ for it.

I am a former Audi enthusiast (TT 225 w/Mods) and still a family Chevy Camaro enthusiast (have a project 69 Camaro and plan on buying the new one next year)

I thought it would be hard to touch the detail and willingness to help in the Audi community, but you guys are doing it right as well :-)

SC300 is red and has just about every problem i've read on here about.

1) Tach and MPH needles black

2) A/C LCD not lit up except for strip of top bar, making it useless

3) Truck lid doesn't stay up

4) Interior pretty much looks horrible, seats cracked, carpet dirty, dash pieces cracked

5) Tilt steering wheel locked in all out all up position

6) Suspension is decent but the car seems to be riding a bit high, will be due for some upgrades

7) Oil is leaking I think from the front of the engine (so maybe timing belt from what i have read) Engine bay looks like someone threw a balloon full of oil in there, not pretty. There is a sticker on the top of the engine that says the timing belt was replaced around 135k miles, so I'm not sure if it is common for them to break again so quickly. (I actually read the forum rules, and will be posting new topics for questions I am seeking answers)

8) Headlights need to be polished, light is not passing through like it should be

9) taillights have condensation in them from an obvious leak somewhere

10) Front passenger fender needs to be replaced

11) Auto transmission shifter is cracked and needs to be replaced

12) I put Premium gas in it at the QT station by my house for the first time, and the car didn't crank when i went to leave. My heart sank. I tried it again and it worked, but for the rest of the trip home it seemed like it wanted to die every time i came to a complete stop. I did get me home though.

13) Passenger door window doesn't seem to want to roll up or down.

14) Airbag light is on

15) Brake light is on

16) Stereo is broken i guess, doesn't power on. Speakers all look like they were removed and then shoved back in. (almost like a 10 minute "return to stock stereo" type of job)

17) Power side mirrors don't seem to be working

18) Ground cable in bad shape (battery wasn't fastened in any way, slide over towards belt and belt rubbed the cable almost in half.)

19) While driving at night, occasionally headlights lights and dash will loose power with right set of blinkers running.

Thats all i can think of / have discovered at the moment. All that being said I still love the car. Since I bought it fairly cheap I dont feel so bad putting some money in it and making it a bit more respectable. I bought this car to be my daily driver, knowing i would have to breath some new life into it.

The previous owners were pretty rough on the SC, and made some horrible home-made fixes I dont wish on any car.

It looks good still, it will still run, and the after-market is awesome. I have always love the SC's and am very excited and pleased to now be a part of this world. I will keep the forum updated with my progress on things, and my experiences with DIY and shop prices/quality of work.

My major future mods I plan on are:

1) 1JZGTE TT swap ( i have so many questions here )

2) Eibach / Koni setup / bushings

3) Would LOVE to drop a Standard trans in it, but dont know if it would blow my swap budget

4) New carpet / and leather seat covers (not sure if I'm going to try and save the 300.00 and go synthetic or not)

Thanks for reading, again happy to be here and very happy to finally be a SC300 owner.

Hey guys I have an occuring problem that I can't seem to fix. My SC300(92) with 130k has been smoking out of the exhaust for a while now. I thought the original problem was with my ECU, but I just don't know anymore. The car is not burning any oil (Oils is clean/has 1800 miles on it) and the gas mileage is good (17-19mpg). It is also not leaking any coolant and the car doesn't overheat at all. Below is a list of my problems:

1 Battery dies often (went through 3 batteries in 2 months)

2 Car sputters and smokes extremely bad when engine warms up.

3 No check engine light comes on at all.

4 Color of smoke (white w/ bluish tint) real gassy smell

5 I also notice a little bit of gas coming out the exhaust

These are just a few of the problems that is keeping my car from running.

So far the only MODS I have done is an Injen Intake and a JIC Magic exhaust system. The car idles at 1500 when first crank up. When she warms up she goes down to 8 then starts to smoke and smell of a unburnt fuel. I have been to mechanics and they tell me the ECU is the problem and others say that it is a MAF (mass airfrow) problem . Other mechanics say that I have a clog in my catalytic converter. I just don't know. Please help. Any advice would be greatful

I have a 95 SC300 (3weeks old) with 129K on it. I got it for 6500 and I am very pleased with the car B) . Everything is stock and i like the feel so far. The color is gold. Its got an aftermarket Sony sound system that sounds great and it is pretty good looking. My only concerns are that the suspension might have to be replaced :cries: . It hits the bumps very hard and recently started making a squeaky noise everytime it has to run over smthing as small as a pebble :( . The interior is in good shape as nothing is cracked or chipped though the e-brake boot might need replacement.

Will post pics soon.

i just got one 95 sc300 for 5000 136k so far happpy clean and nice ride

the spoiler light doesnt work

the radio is completly dead no power

small button sized chip in the windsheild

one small dent on pass side ( i only notice) '

trac light is on

radio is the only major thing it help

ps first post

hey guys, i too have a problem with my 95 sc400. it smells of fuel and runs rough. cat convertors were plugged so we cleaned the 2 up front out and cut out the 1 in back. its better but still doesnt run right. the power steering fluid res was also empty. put new plugs in also. this problem just started one day, no warning. it doesnt run bad if you hold your foot still and dont move it. need your help please!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My SC300:

pearl white

bought for $100 (yeah i got really lucky)

it needs a new front drivers side fender other then that theres no problems with it.

i found a fender on car-part.com for $150 and its right down the street from me.

one question i have is about a minor problem i seem to be having. it seems i have a short somewhere in the wiring and button lights will go out when i turn things on or off. for instance when i turn my heated seats on the traction control button light will go out. also i notice my needles on the cluster gauges and also the cluster lights will go out sometimes.... not a big worry of mine but i figured maybe other owners were having the same problems and maybe this could be fixed by myself.

other then that i have been very happy with the car so far. i drove back from Kentucky to Detroit MI on $40 in gas!!!

my girlfriends caviler made it back on the same amount of gas.

• 4 weeks later...