Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

Jeff-- 54 years old, previous car was a 97 Pontiac Firebird.

1995 SC400 purchased three days ago. 60,000 miles, $10.000 from TW Auto Sales in Murray, UT. Carfax says it's had two owners and was a leaser when new. It came out clean with no accidents. It spent a lot of time on the East coast. Now it's staying in Utah.

Very few flaws in finish, no dents! Runs great. The only problem is the instrument needle LED lighting. Solution is: send the cluster to LexTech.

Today I took it into my fave exhaust guy and had 2 1/2" straight pipes brought back from the common tube after the last cat and run through polished stainless Flowmaster glass-packs with nice oval tips which are a bit larger than stock and extended about 1 inch farther out. Nice sound and look! Also got rid of some weight by eliminating the little resonators and using lighter finals.

Next will be 18" 10 spoke wheels and low pro Nitto tires.

gallery_16598_98_1111560121.jpg

Here's my car's info:

Model Year: 2002 SC430

Price when Bought: $64000

Where Bought: Charles Barker Lexus, Virginia Beach :chairshot:

Length of Ownership: 3 years, 49000 miles

Problems:

13000 mi -- Run Flats worn out -- rims damaged but still usable

-- no help from dealer -- replaced with Michelin Z-rated tires (non-run-flats)

Cost for tires: $260 per tire

14000 mi -- Pot hole on interstate blew front left tire :( and

bubble in rear left tire -- rims damaged -- rims were straigtened

and repainted with power coat paints to match original paint.

Costco replaced tires for free. Rim cost: $300

25000 mi -- Hit and Run on the interstate by a stolen car :censored:

where the theives took off running during rush hour and nobody

else paid attention -- I testified against the driver (17yo) and he

was sent away to jail.

-- stolen car was totaled while my car just needed the bumper

shell replaced and repainted. I hope there wasn't some hidden

issues I don't know about.

38000 mi -- Complained to dealer about vibration from wheels;

Dealer blames it on the tires :blink: and would not help me although

I'm convinced there is something else wrong with the car.

48000 mi -- both rims on right side bent to the point they could no

longer be balanced :cries: -- rims on right side were straitened and

repainted -- next step is replacement tires to prove to the dealer

there is something else wrong before warranty runs out.

49000 mi -- Battery is dead and all auto parts places don't carry

a replacement -- only the dealer does. :cries:

(Note: The auto parts places do carry batteries for any other car.)

-- Brakes are failing like there is air in the line -- pedal goes to floor :wacko:

-- Need to pull all wheels to get the tires balanced without

adding more miles to the car before the warranty expires.:cries:

All in all, I'm sad to say this...but my experience with Lexus has been hell.

I loved the car for the first 14,000 miles...and have had nothing but

a rough ride and problems ever since. The car just doesn't stand up to the level of quality and support I was expecting from the dealer for the price I paid.

Any advice whether I can ever get the quality back that I had

when I first bought it or am I chasing a lost cause?

Where can I get a replacement battery?

Is there a good source for TSB bulletins and recalls?

i have an 02 SC430.  I have a "vibration" niose in my passenger midtone speaker.  it only wakes up during deep tones on talk radio.  the service manager at Fremont Lexus says that this is a known problem with this sound system, and that there is nothing they can do about it.  This is the same guy who has tried to fix a passenger side door rattle (cooincidentally, sounds like it is coming from behind the midtone speaker) 4 times, and can't fix it.  since it is intermitent, it always is quiet during my post service test rides, but soon after they turn me loose, it wakes up again.  I have called Lexus North America, and they just send me back to this same service manager.  I am living with both noises, but curse Lexus everytime these noises wake up.

You mentioned a 'side door rattle'? I had a rattle like metal-on-metal when sometimes closing the passenger side door. I only heard it when people are getting in and out of the car and, of course, it didn't happen at the dealer.:wacko:

1993Sc300-155,000 miles-graphite metallic, from private party-$4,500.Went to KuniLexus in Denver for a diagnostic(ecu #84930-24020 replacement part to make the power mirrors work $290+$150 labor,not going to do it right now) and to reset airbag light--total cost $52 for 1/2 hour and they did a carfax that showed no wrecks-3rd owner.I had an independant that had a supra turbo(same engine as sc300's)do my work.Platinum plugs and wires(don't steam clean the engine)$200.Front and back brakes(ceramic)+all 4 rotors turned $250.Windows tinted,metallic film,20% $150.Had the crack in the vinyl door trim(drivers side) and the tear in the passenger seat cushion reupholstered-$416.Ordered 2 center caps#42603-24130 $31.88 each from Bell lexus. RT and LT hood support assy#5344029065,#5345029055-$75.83 each.Drivers side seat shield(plastic around cushion where the knobs stick out)#718122404003 $117.98.These parts I got from Sewell lexus.April 3rd she goes into the garage up on stands.The stock paddle wheels are badly chipped and pitted I'm getting them reconditioned(sanded,powdercoated then clear coated)$130 each wheel, off the tire.They have them 7-8 days so I'm taking out the instrument cluster following the instructions from Lextech and sending it to them for the red SMD cluster needle set and 4 backlight replacement bulbs,with shipping $293.70.I'm putting some Falken 512's 215 60R15 H(stock tires) on those pretty new wheels,+ valvestems, mounting and balancing $295.50.Read the forums and save time and money!!!

I bought a '97 SC 400 for $12.990 with 71K. Everything was perfect except the antenna. The cleanest eight year old car I have ever seen. The power antenna was not working and is half way extended. I thought it was a good price and didn't think the antenna replacement would be difficult. I found a replacement antenna on ebay and for $15.99 with simple intructions to go with it. But when I tried to do the replacement.......

Not so simple. The geared strip doesn't move and the motor to drive is not running. Checked fuses and all is ok. Any ideas? Do I have to replace the drive motor too, or is there a way to test it...

Flashjet

Greetings,

Jett is a Moss Green 1992 SC300. I'm her second caretaker as far as I can tell. She had about 70,000 miles when I purchased her from Carmax in 2001, she now has 120,000 miles.

No major cosmetics or tricks.

Problems: Passenger window regulator shot, and the driver's side headlamp is fogged. I would appreciate leads on replacement parts in the in N TX area. My primary concern is the window regulator, the headlamp is a secondary concern.

During my last oil change the mechanic (Firestone) told me that the thermostat was in bad shape and showed me a collasped hose. I opted to fix it, (I do a daily 60 mile round trip commute and don't want any problems.) I had temperature regulation problems shortly after I got her but everything was repaired under warranty. Are temp regulation problems common?

I'm relocating to the North eastern US and I'd like to do any preventative work before I leave Texas.

This forum has been very helpful all ready, its nice to know other people are as in love with their Lexi as I am with mine.

• 2 weeks later...

1995 SC400, 60.000 miles. dark green.

$9000, bought at a used car dealer.

CarFax says it has had two previous owners and was a leaser when new. It has good paint and hides, interior is exceptional for a car this age.

I have had stainless glass packs and larger bore pipes installed back of the last catalytic converter and oval tips a little bigger than original. Nice exhaust note results. The car came with aftermaket 5-spoke Enkei 16" wheels with nice Nitto tires with at least 75% tread left.

I have replaced the right headlight assembly with a nice used one I got on Ebay. The old one had a small crack near the bottom edge. It didn't interfere with function or appearance, but allowed dew to collect inside the unit. The keyless entry system didn't work, but I replaced the coin cell in the key unit and all is well. The car came with a bonus-- It's obvious that it has recently had a new power steering pump and alternator installed!

I've had to replace the speakers front and rear. One of the front ones was burned out and the two rear ones were totally deteriorated, probably by heat and sunlight. The original Nakamichi speakers were nothing special that I could see..

I used after-market Pioneers which look very similar and sound great. They are standard 4 inch, 4 ohm speakers with a "whizzer cone", commonly called 2-way. The original tweeters in the doors work fine. I haven't yet checked the condition of the bass speaker in back, but there are plenty of nice ones available in that size. There is no reason to try finding Nakamichi speakers or exact Lexus replacements. it would be a waste of money.

The speedo and tach needles were not lighting, so I re-wired things in the cluster and installed some red neon wire (EL wire) segments on the needles after clipping off the LED segments. I re-balanced them and wired in a neon wire power converter, hanging it on back of the cluster. It works quite well, but took a lot of time to isolate and connect the needle circuitry for the higher voltage EL wire. While I was in there I replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the cluster and re-lamped it.

I replaced the spark plugs with Bosch platinum units. The old ones were plain Autolites and two were loose. Some plug connectors were not installed correctly. Obviously the work of an owner or very poor mechanic. While doing this, I checked the resistance of the wires. All looked good-- the wire should have about 10,000 ohms per foot. There is excessive ignition noise on AM radio. I suspected problems with the ignition wires, but now suspect a bad connection in the antenna wiring. The powered antenna is suspect here. The car has lots of power and seems none the worse for wear. I am very pleased with it and feel that I got a lot of car for the money. Tinkering with it to get it in top shape was expected and something I enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

SECUREDANTIQUEINVESTMENTS@YAHOO.COM1993 SC 400, 36,321 MILES( YUP THATS RIGHT) $11,050 E-BAY, OUTTA HOLLYWEIRD,FLA. i AM SECOND OWNER, BLACK/TAN

This car is stock as far as I can tell. It had a Lexus flip cellphone and rear spoiler added at time of original purchase. Has all other options except heated seats and the fold down drink holder that mounts in the dash. Don't know if that option was available in 93.

Condition I purchased it in. * indicates seller disclosed items.

* multiple door dings

* two half dollar sized spots on r/h fender chipped paint

* antenna inop

* trunk struts inop ( because spoiler was added @ the lot)

* batteries dead in keys

* Passenger seat r/h rail adjustment gear stripped

- Ignition key plastic bushing worn

- Wiper blades dry rotted/replaced

- a/c center dash vent cracked

- r/h door fwd wood trim cracked

- l/h door has small cigarette burn hole at window switch

- l/h lower seat trim piece worn through to plastic @ seat switches

- front tag holder not inst, but included with car

- on the ride back to NC from FLA the engine coolant light came on, added 20oz water went out.

- some cd's will not play on 12 banger err msg. these same cd's will play in my T-100 toyota p/u. I give up?

- center caps on wheels faded to plastic from over washing I guess

- Gold emblems also faded from repeated buffing.

* car has Dayton tires on it, feel pretty good nice and sticky

# pwr steering was replaced by 1 st owner as well as a window regulator, multiple complaints on the factory cell phone as well. She heard lots of noises as well. ( it's a car)

Other than all that it is an awesome car, When I take the O/D off and switch on power, it feels like a car on rails with a hole in the gas tank because I can see the needle move. LOL. This will be fun to restore & drive. :pirate:

Now for the questions.

1.Is it possible to buy a parts manual for the sc series?

2.Does anyone have a link/addy or phone to a person or place where I can find out the production data from the factory for the SC series from 92-2000? :geek:

3. What brand car cover would you recommend? That you have long term experience with for us garageless folks.

4. How many parts are interchangeable with a supra if any?

SECUREDANTIQUEINVESTMENTS@YAHOO.COM1993 SC 400, 36,321 MILES( YUP THATS RIGHT) $11,050 E-BAY, OUTTA HOLLYWEIRD,FLA. i AM SECOND OWNER, BLACK/TAN

This car is stock as far as I can tell. It had a Lexus flip cellphone and rear spoiler added at time of original purchase. Has all other options except heated seats and the fold down drink holder that mounts in the dash. Don't know if that option was available in 93.

* multiple door dings

* antenna inop

* batteries dead in keys

- on the ride back to NC from FLA the engine coolant light came on, added 20oz water went out.

- some cd's will not play on 12 banger err msg. these same cd's will play in my T-100 toyota p/u. I give up?

# pwr steering was replaced by 1 st owner as well as a window regulator, multiple complaints on the factory cell phone as well. She heard lots of noises as well. ( it's a car)

Other than all that it is an awesome car, When I take the O/D off and switch on power, it feels like a car on rails with a hole in the gas tank because I can see the needle move. LOL. This will be fun to restore & drive.:pirate: 

Now for the questions.

2.Does anyone have a link/addy or phone to a person or place where I can find out the production data from the factory for the SC series from 92-2000?:geek:

3. What brand car cover would you recommend? That you have long term experience with for us garageless folks.

:D

Here are the costs that I have faced so far.

3/21/2005 $8,000.00 Bought Lexus SC400

3/23/2005 $13.95 License Tag Holder

3/23/2005 $10.73 Thermostat

3/24/2005 $75.58 Oil Change & treatment

3/26/2005 $450.56 Belts, Water pump, Seals

3/26/2005 $202.94 Gas Filter & End-Links

3/26/2005 $70.18 Spark Plugs

3/25/2005 $335.80 Tax/Title/License

3/28/2005 $55.06 Brake Shoes

3/28/2005 $15.10 Oil Change stuff

4/2/2005 $39.50 Auto Inspection

4/2/2005 $22.90 Parts

4/2/2005 $260.00 Amp & Hinge

4/4/2005 $300.00 Pressure Hose & Vacuum Assy

4/5/2005 $300.00 Labor

4/5/2005 $162.38 CD-Changer Crain Auto Salvage

4/2/2005 $18.32 4 quarts ATF

4/2/2005 $4.58 1P/S quart ATF

4/5/2005 $18.25 Air Filter

4/10/2005 $120.00 Labor

4/16/2005 $69.22 Cleaning/towels etc

4/28/2005 $48.95 Repair spare P/S Hose

5/13/2005 $500.00 Paint front & Rear Bumpers

$800.00 Front Seats & Consloe

5/4/2005 $200.00 Misc Costs

5/13/2005 $209.00 Re-Tint windows

Total Parts $1,880.53

Total Other $10,422.47

Grand $12,303.00

B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1992 Lexus SC400.

Bought 175k miles $1800

50k mile engine installed $4450

New Brakes $150

Window Tints $260

New Taillights $125

New Struts $285

Total so far $7070 with about 4k left to go

Next to come body kit and paint job then rims and exhaust. Also my rack and pinion has started leaking on the left side out of the boot. Does anyone know if the seal can be replaced without having to replace the whole rack and pinion? If so this would save greatly on money.

• 2 weeks later...

what made you buy the thermostat? I have a 93 and the temp guage goes up and down but the car doesn't overheat, yet. Should I change mine? is this a job for the mechanically declined...... please email me at bigmalik00@yahoo.com

* multiple door dings

* antenna inop

* batteries dead in keys

Other than all that it is an awesome car, When I take the O/D off and switch on power, it feels like a car on rails with a hole in the gas tank because I can see the needle move. LOL. This will be fun to restore & drive.:pirate: 

Now for the questions.

2.Does anyone have a link/addy or phone to a person or place where I can find out the production data from the factory for the SC series from 92-2000?:geek:

:D

Here are the costs that I have faced so far.

3/21/2005 $8,000.00 Bought Lexus SC400

3/23/2005 $13.95 License Tag Holder

3/23/2005 $10.73 Thermostat

3/24/2005 $75.58 Oil Change & treatment

3/26/2005 $450.56 Belts, Water pump, Seals

3/26/2005 $202.94 Gas Filter & End-Links

3/26/2005 $70.18 Spark Plugs

3/25/2005 $335.80 Tax/Title/License

3/28/2005 $55.06 Brake Shoes

3/28/2005 $15.10 Oil Change stuff

4/2/2005 $39.50 Auto Inspection

4/2/2005 $22.90 Parts

4/2/2005 $260.00 Amp & Hinge

4/4/2005 $300.00 Pressure Hose & Vacuum Assy

4/5/2005 $300.00 Labor

4/5/2005 $162.38 CD-Changer Crain Auto Salvage

4/2/2005 $18.32 4 quarts ATF

4/2/2005 $4.58 1P/S quart ATF

4/5/2005 $18.25 Air Filter

4/10/2005 $120.00 Labor

4/16/2005 $69.22 Cleaning/towels etc

4/28/2005 $48.95 Repair spare P/S Hose

5/13/2005 $500.00 Paint front & Rear Bumpers

$800.00 Front Seats & Consloe

5/4/2005 $200.00 Misc Costs

5/13/2005 $209.00 Re-Tint windows

Total Parts $1,880.53

Total Other $10,422.47

Grand $12,303.00

B)

• 5 weeks later...

95 SC400 with 131000 at time of purchase for 13000. three years ago.

Car is white w/black interier. my choice. I'm 50.

Car has 162000 now and I live at work so no comuting.

I spend most my off time driving cause I like it. cruse the coast San Deigo.

Car does 100 at least once a week, has done 120 when the time is right.

Put a radiator (copper) and a right rear wheel bearing in it the first three months,

Put two sets of dunlops on the back, one full set of yocahoma's and am now

a set of something else I don't like cause they make noise, The dunlops

never made noise but don't last, Think I'll go back to them anyway.

Currently she is in for engine and trans mounts, first timing belt, front alingment,

Trans flush, Plugs, valve cover gaskets and valve adjust if needed, maybe one on

the right in the back. Also the drive shaft center bearing.

This should bring her up to the ride she should be, Quiet, smooth and handles well.

I beat this car every day, Corner hard, Test the tack often.

I did put pads in the front and change the oil as needed using full synthetic only.

I tourqe it pretty hard so the exhaust system twists causing the heat shields to

to pull away form the pipe, makes flutter sounds, had to weld up the holes,

I hate to admit I'm using the car up but that is what its for and I'm loving it!

1992 lexus sc 400

i'm the 3rd owner, 1st owner didn't take good care of the interior at all, drivers seat and rear seat bottoms are just trashed,

Price: got it in trade for essentially $1600 worth

owned it for 4 days now, main problems i have found:

needles do not illuminate (except for fuel), speedo works 1/2 the time, hood paint is nasty, car stalls out randomly, brake pedal seems to take a lot of effort to push, smokes a bit on start up.

no mods that i'm aware of other than 18" rims, haven't popped the hood yet other than a quick inspection though...so i'm not sure about anything else. has stock spoiler, and lots of little problems.

Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I'm a "Lexuholic"... lol

I just bought a Sc400 2 weeks ago and so far I love the car. I've browsed the site for about a week now and I'm glad to say that my car doesn't seem to have the "common" problems associated with this model, i.e. guage lights work fine, front end is stable, etc. I have noticed a few odd issues though...

1. "rough" feel to tranny. Not sure I can decribe correctly, just that it sounds AND feels like there is a gear drive under the car. When I take the car out of gear at speed, the sound and feel is reduced about 80%. Could this be a torque converter issue, also might it be the incorrect fluid issue I've heard about? The car always responds well and never slips or stalls, I drive hard in power mode and never seem to have any problems except the noise and the feel.

2. Odd clicking sound from the motor. Was told it might be the injectors or the injector controller( is there such a thing?) ran injector cleaner through it and reduced noise a little... any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

'92 SC400, 120k miles, all options + cromed spokes and integrated K40 radar detection (was state of the art back in '92, still not bad!). I'm the second owner and have had it for about 7 years. Paid about $16.5k as I recall. Everything works at this point. Original owner put about 60k miles on it as I recall. Bone stock except K&N air filter and upgraded window tint. I've gone through/replaced: ps pump, 2 alts., 2 A/C compressors, lower front control arms, cd changer, etc. It had a major service done at dealer just before I got it - like $3k worth as I recall - they did the timing belt, all fluids, etc., etc., etc. Previous owner probably overpaid by $1.5k+ for that one, but I was glad to have it all done. My daughter drives it primarily now, to and from high school and on errands.

Current issues:

(1) trac light coming on intermittantly after driving for 10+ miles, then it stays on until car is shut off again. No other idiot lights and no performance problems noticeable.

(2) A/C light blinks and compressor cuts out at the same time - intermittant problem. Compressor and clutch have been replaced within the last year or so and check out fine. A/C will reset by turning off and back on, sometimes two or three times, then work perfectly.

(3) Guage needle lights failing

Overall impression of car - great ride, super high quality, but with a few known issues for which Lexus should have stepped up, such as the headlight lenses fogging prematurely. Also, relatively expensive to maintain and more has broken than I hoped since I've owned it. Was hoping for a Toyota Camry on steroids when it came to maintenance - like will need next to nothing for years and years. Not! Still, overall, a great value - I've been able to drive a $45k+ premium luxury car for years and probably have around $21k all in into it by now.

just bought a 93 sc300, lt green with tan interior,all options (including the damn 250$ alarm key, which i am too cheap to get a copy of...lol) auto, 93K miles, 2nd owner (got lucky there), never wrecked (except for the rock that fell off a dumpster truck and scraped my front end the day i got it), interior is perfect except for steering wheel which is a little faded from the miami sun, and a rather odd stain on the passenger seat.... dont want to know. Everything is completely stock just as if it came from right off the lot.

the only problem ive got is that my passenger window goes down but not up, my starter went out and then after my alternator went out.... sucks for me. So now ive got a beautiful non-driving lexus. great huh? happen to anyone else? Anyone know where i can get the best parts for the best price? Still broken down and hurting....Thanks

Juancho

Have the car about a year with 148k its a 92 sc400. specs an upgrades are as follows.

1. replace powersteering pump

2. Tints

3. Brembo drilled/slotted Rotors

4. ADR 17in Hypersilver Rims

5. Sumitomo 245/45 17

6. Eibach Springs 1in

7. Tokico Shocks

8. Daizen Control Arm Bushings

9. Daizen Stabalizer Bushings

10. Front Upper Strut Bar

11. Open Air filter

As For the sound system

1. Alpine OEL Head Unit

2. Alpine InDash Screen CVA-1004

3. Fosgate FNQ 4in Components (Front)

4. Alpine Type-R 6 1/2 (Rear)

5. Alpine MRVF-540 Amplifier (interiors)

6. Alpine MRDM-500 Amplifiers (Sub)

7. Pioneer 10in Free-Air Sub (Factory Mount)

8. Alpine 6 Disc Changer

9. Epi Center (bass Frequency Control)

All the audio components are custom installed with Monster cables and custom panels for the trunk every thing else was fabricated to fit in the factory openings.

This System sounds amazing. no rattling and pure sound quality all done by yours truley.

I do this for a living.

• 2 months later...

Toyomoto Stage IV Lexus SC300 Turbo.This car was featured in Turbo magaize in a six page article (Sept 2000).I am the third owner and I purchased the car about a week ago.The original owner had Toyomoto out of Miami build this car with no expense spared.This car was tastefully done with no visible changes to the interior like boost gauges,ect. The car appears to be stock with the exception of exhaust and wheels. The car dynoed @ 471.2RWHP.The car has the following mods:

ENGINE

Mitsubishi 25G Turbo "Mad Dog"

R.C Engeneering injector system

Getty Exhaust

HKS Blow Off Valve

Toyomoto Exhaust manifold

Turboectics "race gate"Waste gate

Nology Power Core Ingition Amplifier

Toyomoto Head gasket

Fuel pump upgrade

3in down pipe

DRIVE TRAIN

Six Speen Maual Getrag Transmission

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch assy

ELECTRONICS

G-Force Computer ECU Upgrade

Gretty Rebic III

HKS EVC III

HKS Vein pressure converter

SUSPENSION

Eibach lowering springs

Supra rear disc upgrade

Brembo front brake uprade

Front drilled/slotted rotors

Rear driller rotors

EXTERIOR

Factory Toyota OEM paint

18in HRE 3pc aluminum wheels

NEW 18in 295/35/18 Michelin Piolot sports (rears)245/35/18 front

INTERIOR

Brand new custom two tone blk/tan Leather interior (installed less than a week ago)

Just hit a deer on the way home after I bought it. Only drove it for 3 hours.

At the body shop now. :cries:

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

Hi, I just bought a '92 SC400 with 196K on it. It had one owner, never wrecked, seems to have been taken well care of, interior and exterior look great. Was just wondering if when I take it in for a check or tune up, what should I look to have replaced or checked on? Any advie or input would be great. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

i just bought a 2002 sc430 and had nothing but problems. it had 48,000 miles on it and paid 42,000. the front left speaker went out, had it replaced. rattle in back behind passenger rear seat. finally...............found problem and fixed it, seat back kept falling off.........fixed that and finally got those run flat tires off for a smoother ride but now they bump. lexus service dept. has been pure hell. they dept my car 4 days when i first bought it then i brought it back to them 3 times which is over an hour from where i live and the 4th time they kept it for 15 days and didnt even know they still had it. it has been a nightmare. i had an 2002 Ls430 and sold it then had an ES300 and sold it and now have the sc430. i love the car but it is NOT the quality car that the other lexus' are for it to be call the JEWEL OF LEXUS.

Black 1993 Lexus SC300

5 speed manual

Factory Gold Badging

Factory Chrome Wheels

120,xxx mi

100% Stock

2nd owner

Problems: (nothing major; just your common wear and tear stuff)

1. Condensation in discolored head lamps.

2. Cup holder flip cover in center console fails to remain shut

3. Throw out bearing going bad. (going from neutral to gear 1 is bad)

4. Front end now shakes at certain speeds when brakes applied (not a rotor or bearing problem).

5. No heated air coming out of the vents when temperature is set to hot.

6. Engine consumes about a quart of oil every 1200 miles.

7. Trunk shocks no longer hold up trunk lid.

8. CD Changer/Player skips while driving over mild terrain.

9. Speedo & Tacho Gauge needles go dim and sometimes blinks.

10. LCD AC/Temperature Display blacks out during cold weather.

11. Leaking Clutch Master Cylinder

12. Flaking chrome wheels and scuffed hubcaps with dulled emblems.

13. Driver Front Seat Leather Scuffed and Faded

14. Steering Wheel Leather Worn Down and Color Faded

15. Rattles here, rattles there.

16. Mildew odor from vents after a/c usage

17. Indicator lights work, but I dont really know what they "indicate" when we've got blinking signal lights???

Conclusion: Since there's no really major problem, this is one awsome car! (knock on wood)

Hello everyone-

Proud first time owner of a 1992 LS400. 93,600 miles and in excellent shape, with less than normal wear. Black exterior, gray interior, TRAC, heated seats with memory. I am the third owner. Bought it on Ebay for $5700 in Massachusetts after several months of evaluations and research (including this Forum). I commute 92 miles round trip to work, so I was looking for an exciting, comfortable ride from a car that is reliable and relatively economical. Add it all together and the LS400 is the obvious choice!

I have the detailed maintenance records until it changed hands to the second owner. The timing belt had been changed at 60,000 miles. Although it has spent its life in the Northeast, there are no signs of rust anywhere.

Known problems which I have not yet fixed include A/C not blowing cold, the obligatory time/temp LCD black out, and a broken remote side mirror switch. I’ll wait for the spring to worry about the A/C, and I plan on sending the LCD to JW as described in the LOC. The mirror switch is another story, as it is pushed in and perhaps not worth repairing, as I am going to be the principal driver.

I love the car and already know from here on I will always own a Lexus. I look forward to living and learning with the help from the good folks here at LOC. I have also downloaded the repair manuals, tech bulletins, etc. for the ‘92 as suggested by Carl Pearson on his excellent web site, so as time goes on and I get my hand dirty, I will be able to throw my two cents in.

Thank you to all the contributors. I spent hours reading your pearls of wisdom before making my buy, and I could not be happier!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Canada!

I recently purchased 93 SC400 with 220km (136k miles) from a private.

Colour is Black with Beige int.

All stock. No modifications.

The only thing I'm thinking of doing is changing tires to Winter tires as we you know why.. Canada winter.

It runs great so far. I really enjoy driving it.

However I've encountered a few odd things... Very ODD.... Mostly electrical.

- speedometer needle is out. every lights on instrument panel works.

- after warming up for 5min., the heater starts to work. but can not change the speed of the fan and it always stays at low. it's going to be a long cold winter.

- the stereo goes on and off without warning. first i thought it happens only when i go over the bumps but it does randomly while driving and at stop. This really frustrates me!!

- windshield washer doesn't eject out water. I think the nozzles are clean. I don't hear pump works when I turn it on. I think it's electrical too.

These things are only minor stuffs but I really want to find the solutions to fix these problems as I love driving this car. I guess I've got a lot of readings to do in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...