Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

Just purchased an '06 350 w/8,500 miles. Had an Infiniti I30t that was nickel and diming me to death. She had 160k and no payments for 6 years so I'm satisfied. Purchased at "Car Sense", fair price, no major issues yet. Some rattles & creaks, but handling them day by day. Silver w/Grey interior, luxury package w/Nav. Just tinted the windows.

Mods to come:

* Suspension (front end feels a bit jumpy)

* Cat back exhaust

* Ram air (maybe?)

* K&N air filter

Slow but sure...

My past and present car list below is a wide array. I like the drive and interior fit & finish on this car. Nice solid quality and materials, leather not German quality but nice. Love having RWD instead of FW with the TL. I loved the TL, but way too much torque steer and skittish in the curves. The Lexus is a bit nicer and classier inside (but smaller).

· ’64 Willy Jeep CJ-5 (Brown/Tan)

· ’67 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (White/Black)

· ’62 Ford Thunderbird (Turquoise/Turquoise)

· ’71 Chevy Caprice Classic (Rust/Black)

· ’77 Subaru 2dr something or other (Tan/Tan)

· ’79 BMW 733i (Blue/Black)

· ’81 BMW 528e (Charcoal/Burgundy)

· ’89 Ford Taurus SHO (Red/Grey)

· ’91 Chrysler Conquest Turbo (Silver/Burgundy)

· ’93 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Green/Grey)

· ’97 Infiniti I30t (Gold/Parchment)

· ’04 Acura TL (Silver/Ebony)

· ’01 Porsche 911 C4 (Black/Black)

· ’06 Porsche Cayman S (Lapis Blue/Stone Grey) - still own

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey hows it going guys

My 06 IS350 came in 2 1/2 weeks ago, i noticed when I turn it on after it warms up whether its in P R N or D it has a ticking sound in the engine, a few days later i took it a lexus dealership closer to my house ( there was also a grinding sound when i turn the wheel all the way to the right) i told them about the engine and the grinding sound, they took it in and gave me a loaner and called me back 3 hours later and told me the the grinding sound is the wheel is wide and its rubbing against the rubber guard above it, and they told me the engine sound is normal. so a few days alter my spoiler came in and i took it to the dealer where i bought it from and told him the same thing.... he gave me the same results. WTF????:wacko: that sound is not normal and even my friends agree. what i plann on doing is going back to the dealership and tell them to turn on an IS350 and we will compare, the car should be purring, not ticking. any input or advice, or has anyone expierenced this porblem? Other than those little things the car is excellent really fast and really smooth. :D

thanks guys

-omad

My 06 IS350 don't have the ticking sound. But when I turn left. I will hear a very low grinding sound too. And grinding when I break.

My 07 IS350 does have the ticking in the engine and that is normal believe me. Thats just the way the engine was build i guess.

• 1 month later...
First, I’ve owned Toyotas for many years, also owned Mercedes, Corvettes, Chevys, and Hondas. I’m 60, so I’ve owned a few cars and trucks. I’m currently driving a company car – 2008 Camry, which I really like.

I purchased a 2006 IS250 automatic for my wife in Sept 2006 – metallic red with chrome wheels, NAV, blue tooth system and rear spoiler. She drives it mostly, so I only drive it occasionally on week ends.

I wasn’t happy with the car from the start.

The brakes are way too sensitive and are not smooth when braking easy or hard.

The clear coat scratches very easy – worse paint I’ve ever seen on a vehicle!

Since it was new, something has clunked when backing out of the driveway when the tires run over the little 1.5” cement curb. Dealer can’t find anything loose - it could be the brake pads, but no one seems to have a clue!

When we bought the car, we both purchased new cell phones (same best model that was posted on Lexus dealer site) so we’d be as compatible with Bluetooth as possible – but the connection is intermittent and too frequently when I call her in the car, I can hear her saying hello, but she can’t hear me. When we do connect, sometimes (about 1 out of every 4 calls) there is a squawking sound mixed with her voice. Deal can’t find a thing!!

The driving lights suck. Way too dim for night driving. Checked to see if we could pay to upgrade to the Xenon, but dealer says “Not an option”!

Because the front wheels are a different size than the rear wheels, we can’t rotate side to side – consequently the tires don’t wear evenly and the fronts wear out twice as fast as the rears. The front tires started making noise (tread cupping) about 20K miles. The car has 33K on it now and I’ll have the front tires replaced at the 35K service. Not going to buy Bridgestones, I’ll try the Michelins unless someone has a better, longer lasting tire. We’re in Arizona, so I’m not concerned about wet or snow traction issues.

Power wise, it’s a little anemic for me. I should have bought the IS350. Unlike my sister (she drives a 505 HP 2007 ZO6 Corvette), my wife is not hot rodder, so she’s fine with the power (or lack of).

Fuel mileage is good at 28 to 29 average, but the cost of premium fuel cost offsets the good MPG number.

The maintenance at the dealership has been somewhat disappointing. Two times someone (technician?) has scratched the paint. One time, a line completely across the hood. Looked like someone dragged an air hose clamp across it. The scratch was deep enough that the dealership offered to have it “professionally” fixed. I opted to try my luck with some good wax at home in my garage, rather than risk someone really !Removed! up the paint!! It’s not out entirely and it’s too deep to rub out completely.

Since we don’t take the car through a car wash, I wash the car myself, so I know every square inch of the car, every nick, scratch, and ding.

About 10K miles ago it started doing a little thing where I’d push the start button, it would turn over once and stall. It sometimes would do it 5 of 6 times before it started. At the 30K service I told the dealer about the problem, but can’t find anything!! Apparently, there are no codes to check and naturally, they could not duplicate the problem.

The brakes squeal when backing out of the garage almost every single time.

The heating controls suck. I have yet to figure out how to get the fan to blow high for max heat. The fan won’t blow hard when you want to get the max heat, so it takes awhile to start getting hot/warm air when it’s cold out. Luckily, we don’t have a really cold winter here.

The NAV map is so outdated it doesn’t have highways that were built 5 or 6 years ago!! We got a Lexus post card stating that we can upgrade the map data “for only $265”!!

A close friend bought his wife the same car (2007) without the NAV and chrome wheels and they are both disappointed in it. They have multiple issues with it.

Overall, for a $38K luxury car, it’s a little noisier on the road than I think it should be.

I’m disappointed enough that I probably would not buy another IS. I might consider the ES350.

I think Toyota dropped the ball on the IS250.

Sorry for the long post, it’s my first post, so I wanted to get out all the things that have been bug’n me.

Randy

Check out www.LexusTSB.com, there is a TSIB posted for your complaint, "The brakes squeal when backing out of the garage almost every single time."

I am new to this forum and wanted to join after reading through the posts. My wife and I have a 07 is250 with 14,000 miles on it. So far we haven't encountered any problems with it except for the brake dust issue. The pads were changed by the dealer when the car was serviced at 10,000 miles. So far we are happy with the overall performance and gas mileage. The car is averaging about 25mpg. This is a combination of city and highway. The only options on the car are the 18 inch wheels and nav. One question for everyone is about tires. I will need to replace the tires in the fall and would like some recommendations as to what brand of tire everyone is happy with. We live south of San Francisco so snow is not a problem. I would like a tire that handles well and is a bit quieter than the stock tires. Thanks for any advice that is sent my way.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Model: IS 350

Year: 2006

Color: Star Fire Pearl

Miles: 18k

Price when purchased: $31,500.00 (bought used) from Newport Motors, Lynwood, WA

Date of purchase: April 28th, 2008

Cost of Insurance: I pay about $155.00 a month for the Car. "Don't get a DUI"

Modifications: Tinted the windows to 20%. Also, getting ready to purchase a stock rear spoiler.

Quick history: When I bought the car from the dealership it had a dent in the front left driver side fender. Also, the tire pleasure sensor was on indicating there was a low tire. The dealership told me that they would fix the dent and air-up the tire when I picked the car up a few days later. When I arrived to pick up the car, the dent was fixed about 80% and the tire pressure indicator light was off. The dealership said they couldn’t fix the dent completely without their being a risk of cracking the paint. They were using a paintless dent removal process. Being that this was my first car I had ever purchased I really didn’t know what to say so I took it thinking I would eventually get it fixed.

A couple days went by and what do you know? The tire pressure light came on again. I took the car to Lexus of Bellevue, WA and had them check the tire out while also doing a 20k mile inspection on the car. They charged me about $200.00 for the 20k inspection. They also found a nail in the tire which they fixed. Overall the service was great at the time.

That very same day the tire pressure light came on yet again. I was not a happy camper. I took the car back into Lexus and told them to take another look. They called me at home and told me that the tire would need to be replaced because the “plug” wasn’t holding. My first question to them was, “Why are you using plugs to patch tires instead of patches”? I ended up replacing the tire for about $330.00 (I about fainted when I was told the price).

A week after I bought the car I really felt that I wanted to get the dent completely fixed for it really bothered me. I did a Google search on paintless dent repair and came across a guy buy the name of Ryan Snider who owned and operated his own business called, “Ryan Snider Paintless Dent Repair” (http://www.ryanpdr.com/) out of Seattle, WA. I gave Ryan a call and made an appointment. Ryan himself came to my house to fix the dent. At the same time I had Ryan fix 3 other door dings that I noticed when washing the car. When Ryan was done I couldn’t even tell the dent’s were ever there. He did a truly amazing job and I would recommend him to anyone. The cost for fixing the dent and 3 door dings was $218.00 with tax.

I later returned to the dealership where I bought the car and told them that I had the dent repaired and that I had to replace the tire because it couldn’t be fixed. I was not credited any money back, which wasn’t surprising. I guess the moral of the story is to be a smarter buyer when buying a used car and be sure to speak your concerns.

Thank you,

Gabe

I am new to this forum and wanted to join after reading through the posts. My wife and I have a 07 is250 with 14,000 miles on it. So far we haven't encountered any problems with it except for the brake dust issue. The pads were changed by the dealer when the car was serviced at 10,000 miles. So far we are happy with the overall performance and gas mileage. The car is averaging about 25mpg. This is a combination of city and highway. The only options on the car are the 18 inch wheels and nav. One question for everyone is about tires. I will need to replace the tires in the fall and would like some recommendations as to what brand of tire everyone is happy with. We live south of San Francisco so snow is not a problem. I would like a tire that handles well and is a bit quieter than the stock tires. Thanks for any advice that is sent my way.

Nick

Nick,

Welcome to the LOC! Check out the Wheels and Tires forum: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10 Most of your quesitons about what tires to purchase will be answered in this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a used 07 350 with 10k miles 2 months ago for $32k in San Antonio. (vented seats no nav)

Since then I have put almost 6k miles on the car and have had no problems. Drives great.

I anticipate changing the exhaust and possibly a chip. Would like to get some 19" wheels as well.

Love the car.

I considered a 6MT 250 but wanted the extra power the 350 offers.

• 3 weeks later...

what's a tire PLEASURE sensor?? LOL

Model: IS 350

Year: 2006

Color: Star Fire Pearl

Miles: 18k

Price when purchased: $31,500.00 (bought used) from Newport Motors, Lynwood, WA

Date of purchase: April 28th, 2008

Cost of Insurance: I pay about $155.00 a month for the Car. "Don't get a DUI"

Modifications: Tinted the windows to 20%. Also, getting ready to purchase a stock rear spoiler.

Quick history: When I bought the car from the dealership it had a dent in the front left driver side fender. Also, the tire pleasure sensor was on indicating there was a low tire. The dealership told me that they would fix the dent and air-up the tire when I picked the car up a few days later. When I arrived to pick up the car, the dent was fixed about 80% and the tire pressure indicator light was off. The dealership said they couldn’t fix the dent completely without their being a risk of cracking the paint. They were using a paintless dent removal process. Being that this was my first car I had ever purchased I really didn’t know what to say so I took it thinking I would eventually get it fixed.

A couple days went by and what do you know? The tire pressure light came on again. I took the car to Lexus of Bellevue, WA and had them check the tire out while also doing a 20k mile inspection on the car. They charged me about $200.00 for the 20k inspection. They also found a nail in the tire which they fixed. Overall the service was great at the time.

That very same day the tire pressure light came on yet again. I was not a happy camper. I took the car back into Lexus and told them to take another look. They called me at home and told me that the tire would need to be replaced because the “plug” wasn’t holding. My first question to them was, “Why are you using plugs to patch tires instead of patches”? I ended up replacing the tire for about $330.00 (I about fainted when I was told the price).

A week after I bought the car I really felt that I wanted to get the dent completely fixed for it really bothered me. I did a Google search on paintless dent repair and came across a guy buy the name of Ryan Snider who owned and operated his own business called, “Ryan Snider Paintless Dent Repair” (http://www.ryanpdr.com/) out of Seattle, WA. I gave Ryan a call and made an appointment. Ryan himself came to my house to fix the dent. At the same time I had Ryan fix 3 other door dings that I noticed when washing the car. When Ryan was done I couldn’t even tell the dent’s were ever there. He did a truly amazing job and I would recommend him to anyone. The cost for fixing the dent and 3 door dings was $218.00 with tax.

I later returned to the dealership where I bought the car and told them that I had the dent repaired and that I had to replace the tire because it couldn’t be fixed. I was not credited any money back, which wasn’t surprising. I guess the moral of the story is to be a smarter buyer when buying a used car and be sure to speak your concerns.

Thank you,

Gabe

• 1 month later...
post-24700-1169405029_thumb.jpgpost-24700-1169405055_thumb.jpgpost-24700-1169405076_thumb.jpgpost-24700-1169405111_thumb.jpgMODE

: IS350 2006

PRICE: 55K LEXUS OF TACOMA AT FIFE

RECEIVED: 11/30/05

PROBLEMS: NAVIGATION SYSTEM WENT HAYWIRE (I had the Navigation System fixed but can now no longer perform the driving override for the navigation....anyone have the new overwrite information??)

MODIFICATIONS & COSTS: BODY KIT $2000 (Then it was taken to a body shop and made one piece with the front and rear bumpers) / FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER PAINTED TO MATCH BODY / CHROME WHEELS $1800 / TINTED WINDOWS $250 / JUST NOW WORKING ON HEADLIGHT SWAPS

What type of body kit did you install?

2007 IS 350 -- Smokey Granite Mica that hides dirt much better than I thought.

I am the secind owner and the car has 44,000 miles on it. But on the flip side I did get a good deal.

Car has Nav w/ML stereo, vented seats, back up camera, sunroof, 18" wheels with offset.

Paid $30,500 and have added the following so far:

XM radio

All weather mats

Tinted windows

New rubber all the way around (Michelin Pilots)

Zero problems noted, luckily previous owner had car serviced at dealership regularly, even had the 45,000 mile service done befroe I bought it from her.

I just bought a new IS350 with all the goodies.....

45K OTD

The problem I'm having is finding something to modify on this car! So far the only thing I can find to upgrade is the exhaust and tinted windows... but that will only take me a few days... lol

Loving it and have a feeling it's going to be my favorite car. This thing moves quicker then my vette and much better ride as well. I have been a truck guy all my life but due to fuel prices I figured I better get something that does better then 13mpg on the highway.

• 2 weeks later...

06 IS 350 loaded black sapphire pearl

carbon fiber hood, roof spoiler, trunk lip and pillar posts

lexus front lip spoiler and side skirts

works xd9 18x9 in front 18x10 in rear

eibach lowering kit

fujita intake

hks hi power exhaust

tinted windows

isf rear tail lights

all isf carbon fiber interior panels swap

gtspec rear lower suspension brace

I bought the car new from Rallye lexus in Glen Cove New York. Rallye and Maximum Tuning in Sea Cliff New York have done all the modifactions to my car. The guys at Rallye and Jeff from Maximum Tuning have been very helpful with all my mods and all my questions.

06 IS 350 loaded black sapphire pearl

carbon fiber hood, roof spoiler, trunk lip and pillar posts

lexus front lip spoiler and side skirts

works xd9 18x9 in front 18x10 in rear

eibach lowering kit

fujita intake

hks hi power exhaust

tinted windows

I bought the car new from Rallye lexus in Glen Cove New York. Rallye and Maximum Tuning in Sea Cliff New York have done all the modifactions to my car. The guys at Rallye and Jeff from Maximum Tuning have been very helpful with all my mods and all my questions.

junk(RICE:ph34r:)....hehehe just kidding.....my AMG is faster :P

• 3 years later...

Model: IS350 2011

I'm the second owner

Purchased in Newport Lexus (So Calif)

18 months owned, brake issues, etc.

Also mention where you had it fixed: Used NB Lexus for service, (www.newportlexus.com/) , had some door dings taken out (www.superiorpdr.benfranklin300.com) and bi-monthly detail as well.

Work was done over the last 18 months/since owned.

Factory plus size wheels and tires (Michelin Pilots)

45 yo.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

hi Guys i new on this forum. Got my first lexus IS300 64 000 km... white pearl.... not much problems, just change rear suspension.... next service in 3000 km, need to change brakes pad, brake disk polish, and full service. i have a small problem with the A/C when i drive its cooling well, but when i stop ( traffic lights) , i receive hot air... Here in the gulf i think its a common problem due to the high temperatures. i bring my car to racetrack here In doha, season will start... i m exited... Photo will follow soon. Enjoy your rides....and have a great day.

• 9 months later...

hi guys, i have a problem with my headlight. for i don t know what reason, there is humidity going inside the optic and make the bulbs burnt. so now i m looking for a full new set of front right headlight with bulb and new alternator. any of you know where i can take the parts refernce number ( website ) because in my country ( QATAR) lexus is asking for too high price.