Trunk Lock Not Working With Key

radiohound

greetings all:

need your help. my 93 400LS 's trunck will not open with the key. The key will not turn in the lock, either way.

however, I can open it with the inside switch. seems to me I somehow triggered a security meanure.

how do I defeat it.

thanks

frank

Frank,

Couple thoughts. One, make sure you are using the correct key. I have a '93 LS also and the truck will only open with the fat key, not the thin key. Two, if you live in a cold weather area, the trunk lock cylinder may be frozen - mine has done this. Spray some lock de-icer or WD40 into the key hole and it should work again. Good luck.

Mike

that is NOT true. in fact, locksmiths recommend WD40 over other 'oils' for the very fact that it's stable and will coat the lock parts. per family locksmith company for over 30 yrs.... been using WD for years, NEVER any gumming...

• 6 months later...

I have the same issue and I am using the big fat keys, not the little thin key. LMAO! Sorry guys, size does matter...

He is right, it slides in easily, but does not want to turn, almost like it is a key from a different car.

Be glad you did not over fill your trunk like I did one vacation. It pinched the black wire along the drivers side trunk hinge that goes to the latch and the trunk would not pop!

Stuck in the middle of no where in ohio on a sunday afternoon and could not get in the trunk!

Drove a zillion miles back home thinking how am I going to get that thing open now?

That is when I found LOC! Without the lock problem I would have never found you guys!

Lexus quote was something like $800 to get it open and change the lock set if I remember correctly.

I have the same problem as well....the key will not unlock the security lock by the steering wheel and also the trunck release will not engage or work as well....plus I cannot use the key to open the trunck....anybody got some suggestions to fix this?

The way I got the trunk to open when I jammed it was to get my hand through the subwoofer hole under the rear brake light. Luckily the sub was out since in had failed and I was looking for a replacement at the time. I reached in deep and grabbed the wires and wiggled the harness that runs inside the groove of the drivers side trunk hinge, while someone else kept pulling the trunk switch over and over again. After about fifty wiggles and pulls it popped.

I then unwrapped the harness and found the almost broken black wire everyone talks about. Only one copper strand was even close to connected!

If your sub is not out I think a locksmith is going to be the only way to get it open. Sorry...