Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

I have a 1999 GS 300 and left the master key in the trunk. Trunk won't open from inside the car. Is there anyone out there who has an idea on how to get this fixed? Would appreciate any logical suggestions.

HAHA SORRY TO LAUGH BUT THIS HAPPENED TO ME LAST 4TH OF JULY. LEXUS HAS GREAT SECURITY, COULD NOT BY PASS NOR GET TO TRUCK THROUGH BACK SEAT. HAD LOCKSMITH REMOVE PASSANGER DOOR LOCK AND REPLACE. $500.00 AND A HORRIBLY JULY 5TH.

I have a dark red 2001 GS 430 that I bought with only 36,000 miles on it. I paid $19,000 from a private party and I am the 2nd owner. It is a very sweet ride and I love everything about it. My question is I will need to replace the tires this fall and I am looking for suggestions. It currently has Eagle GT 255/55/16 +4 tires. I have seen mention of Toyo Proxies and Sumitomo HTR tires. I am looking for the best performance for the lowest price as I will be putting on 25,000 per year. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Jamie

DONT KNOW IF YOUR LOOKING ANYMORE, BUT YOKOHAMA S DRIVE FOR SUMMER AND S4 FOR ALL YEAR ARE AMAZING AND NOT TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THE QUALITY

• 2 months later...
GS300 1993

# of owners ,

From Brother in law, $16000

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

Steve's Auto Center, 615 N Greenbriar Pkwy, Marietta, GA 30062-0823

(770) 973-4678

Radiator 2008

Idle control motor (repaired not replaced)

Tuneup.

The left read door speaker is not getting an audio signal (speaker works)

The left read window switch doesn't work (main switch at driver door works for left rear)

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

None

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

How do I post here? I want to find out the best way to buy a service manual.

• 2 weeks later...

98 GS 400

I've had my GS for 6 years now, no major problems. Bought it certified used from a Lexus dealer. I am starting to experience problems with my Brake Master Cylinder. All of my lights are illuminated (E Brake, ABS, VSC, VSC off) and a buzzer noise is continuous. I've taken the car to a Lexus dealer for a diagnosis and their response was " the Brake Actuator failed". I then took the car to another auto shop to have the Brake Master Cylinder replaced. Since the new BMC was installed the car was running back to normal, until the very next day when the lights and buzzer noise came on again. I took the car back to the auto shop that installed the master cylinder however, they are having a difficult time clearing the codes and bleeding the system.

Could anyone please help!

Member name: Char'babi :unsure:

thought I'd into myself and car

Name is Zach and I live in Arkansas. This is my first Lexus but my 53rd car(I am known as a car wh@re. My car is a 2001 Black Cherry GS430.

It sits on 20" Lexanis with custom made Lexus center caps,K&N CAI, Reactive mufflers on a 3" catless exhaust, custom black suede interior, and is lays frame on Slam Specialties HE system. The car only has 43,230 miles on it!!! I am the 3rd owner and plan to keep this one.

Visit My Website

98 GS 400

I've had my GS for 6 years now, no major problems. Bought it certified used from a Lexus dealer. I am starting to experience problems with my Brake Master Cylinder. All of my lights are illuminated (E Brake, ABS, VSC, VSC off) and a buzzer noise is continuous. I've taken the car to a Lexus dealer for a diagnosis and their response was " the Brake Actuator failed". I then took the car to another auto shop to have the Brake Master Cylinder replaced. Since the new BMC was installed the car was running back to normal, until the very next day when the lights and buzzer noise came on again. I took the car back to the auto shop that installed the master cylinder however, they are having a difficult time clearing the codes and bleeding the system.

Could anyone please help!

Member name: Char'babi :unsure:

what ive learned about mil codes is that you either have to drive the car a certain amount of miles which is called a drive cycle or bleed the abs unit using a japaneese scanner

• 3 weeks later...

i've got a 1993 GS300...

Everything was okay.. now its starting to shake a little.. i suspect the Sway bar end links bushing.. the tie rods are kinda soft but not as much as the end links..

i'm going to look that over soon, also brakes needs to get done.. and need 2 new headlights assemblies since mine i cannot adjust the height,

tranny gasket is leaking a little, valve cover gasket leaks a little too..

my futur plans are :

if i want to spend.. swap a 2JZ GTE from the Aristo with the 5 Speed Auto tranny and Japan ECU, 3" Downpipe with Electric Cut-off and Stock Cat-back, Flat Burgundy or Flat Black with 17" rims with huge lip :P and Ksport Coilover or Megan dropped to the ground

right now i only have 8000K 55W Apexcone HID's, Nokya 70W 2500K Fog and Nokya 90W 2500K High Beam / DRL

• 4 months later...

'98 GS400 with 108,000 miles, original owner, regular service, stock except for EVO Mille Miglia 18" rims with Sumitomo summer tires, Michelen all seasons on the stock rims for winter. Replaced the starter at about 95k and shocks. Lower mileage is due to this car becoming my winter/bad weather driver with a S2000 for top-down fun, pretty short commute too. Now my daughter is driving the car to high school and work.

Have noticed that the gas mileage around town is low, around 14. Looks like I need to replace the plugs, also timing belt, my bad for not keeping on top of that. :o

Any other ideas on the gas mileage issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The Best Car Ever...a 2000 GS400 Platinum, bought from a dealer as Certified Pre-Owned in March 2004 with 44,000 miles on it.

Not sure of the exact price...high twenties, I think. Purchased and serviced at Scottsdale Lexus in Arizona.

I've owned it for almost six years and it now has 74,000 miles.

It just had the timing belt, water pump, and some hoses replaced. While the timing belt looked like it still had life left in it, the H2O pump had a leak and some corrosion. I had the work done due to the age of the original parts (10 years). The investment was just over $800, and the awesome dealer replaced the battery, which was under the 2-year warranty, without charging me for the pro-rated use. Thanks Guys!!

In 2007, it had the 60K service for about $1,600. (Hard to forget that number!!)

In 2006, it some bodywork done behind the driver's front wheel and under the door because I hit a curb and damaged the poor thing. That was another $1,500!!

I'm in my mid forties and pay about $700 a year to insure, including collision and comprehensive. The big bite here in Arizona is the yearly registration. It's finally under $200 a year, but was over $400 when I first bought it. It drops each year as the car's value goes down.

Other than a couple of batteries and regular oil changes, the GS has been low maintenance.

Unfortunately, the windows haven't worked in over a year and the vacuum seal broke on the radio display some time ago. The CD changer is shot. I'm living with those "imperfections" because of the huge investment required to fix. Apparently, the switch in the driver's door that controls the windows is dead and the repair requires a number of expensive parts to the tune of over $1,000. My next investment is new tires. This will be the first car I run to the 100K mile mark.

I'd add a photo, but it looks identical to the other 2000 GS400 Platinums out there!!

1999 GS 300 - 1st and only owner

My GS has been a great car. Style still looks good on the road vs. 2004 models. 100,000 miles with normal repair. (belts - brakes) Handles well in snow for rear wheel drive. Only failure at 102,000 has been the brake booster pump which to my surprise was a +$2200 repair. I was able to find some used units; however, after having two ind. repair shops decline to install a used pump and planning on having another 3-4 years with the car. The decsion was easy to make.

I know you posred this some time ago but I have a question about your brake booster pump replacement. On Monday and this morning my Abs, Vsc, And brake light came on along with the continuous beeping noise. When this happens my brake pedal wont push in. This morning it did but suddenly it would not. I pulled over and tried to figure out my next move and the noise and lights went off and everything was fine. Well anyway I was advised to have my booster pump checked since I could not push on my brakes. My question is did you have anyof the symtoms i did??

I have a 99 Lexus GS400 with 210k on it, the only problems have been a A/C compressor ($600) and contacts on the starter motor ($300), other than that normal maintainence. It is my wife's daily driver, she averages 23 mpg on her 25 mile round trip commute. We intend to keep the car for as long as possible, I need to change the timing belt, repaint the hood (clear coat flaking), and have the car professionally detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I actually don’t own it yet, but I will this summer. Its a 98 GS400, I think the color is called Parchment its kind of off white/yellow white. It’s originally from Tennessee, so needless to say there is no rust. The car is completely stock, so I get to start with a blank canvas :D

My name is Kenny, I live in Michigan, and I’m 24.

My plans for moding are, not in any real order, lol:

-Rust proof and undercoat, I live in Michigan so salt and rust is a big problem for any car here

-K&N Intake

-Headers, probably S&S because there the only ones I seem to be able to find, lol

-Some kind of exhaust, probably going to go with JIC Magic, either that or do a custom 3" setup from said headers back, with a cat delete, and DynoMax mufflers

-I’m thinking of going with a Tein Suspension, I like there spring rates and the amount of adjustability of their struts

-And of cores with the mods come tuning, possibly machining the TB a little larger, along with the heads

-18" 5Zigen wheels, their lightweight, look good, and I’m not terribly fond of the VIP look

-Of cores bigger brakes are a must, and they just look so good >_<

-BOOST! lol eventually I’m going to either supercharge or turbo her, idk yet, but that's a long way down the road

-I want to swap my base model dash with something nicer, in dash gps system (the 2k model, I think that’s the larger one)

-O and a body kit, maybe just the greddy fron lip and a spoiler, im not 100% sure yet, performance first, lol

• 4 weeks later...
post-103319-127003164926_thumb.jpgI have a 1999 GS400 and I put 22's on it.....Now my navigation can't keep up with my location....Can anyone tell me how to change the coefficient of distance...I read it on a post around a month ago and cant find it...

• 1 month later...

Just acquired a 1998 Lexus GS300. It's a (now) 3-owner car (lease return, second owner sold it to me). So far I've had it two days and driven maybe 50 miles. I paid $6000 for it with 94k miles on it. The previous owner had recently done a 90k service replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and also a full rear brake job including rotors. She's diamond white pearl with gray leather (in ridiculously good condition for a '98, IMHO). She lived in a garage for most of her life.

Problems? The front wheels are a bit out of balance, it may also have slightly warped front rotors, Lexus audio system's (not Nakamechi (sp)) display doesn't, and I have a slight leak at the valve cover gasket on the intake side, or someone oopsed with a bottle of oil at last change. I also have a flaky door lock actuator in the passenger's side rear (works frequently when cold, doesn't work frequently when warm outside).

No mods to the car at this time. Probably will keep it stock, but I want to investigate an intake and computer if they'll increase mileage.

No pictures at this time, but will update post when I do take some snaps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2000 gs300 that I bought used about 2 months ago. I have a few problems and I would like to know what it's going to take to fix them and how much money I will be out.

1. The radio works but the display wont show anything and I'm not sure if the cd player works.

2. The air blows ice cold but the other day it just went off for no reason and wouldn't come back on and then today it was working again, but I stopped to do some errands and when I turned the car back on again the air wouldn't come on.

3. The lights on the dash keep flickering and sometimes they are just off completely I checked the fuse and it is fine.

4. I need a new key with the fob part on it the previous owner broke the key in half some how and now it needs to be taped up to work and none of the buttons work.

I think that is pretty much all my problems. Please help.

• 4 weeks later...

1999 GS 300 - 1st and only owner

My GS has been a great car. Style still looks good on the road vs. 2004 models. 100,000 miles with normal repair. (belts - brakes) Handles well in snow for rear wheel drive. Only failure at 102,000 has been the brake booster pump which to my surprise was a +$2200 repair. I was able to find some used units; however, after having two ind. repair shops decline to install a used pump and planning on having another 3-4 years with the car. The decsion was easy to make.

Is that located under the brake reservoir?

I just traded to a 1998 lexus gs300 w/navigation needs work got to change 2 front struts, wheel alignment needs minor body work. question: can i update the navigation system if yes how? can anyone tell me also can anyone tell me how is this year and model ups and downs. 1st time with a lexus. love the room inside and trunk. Planning on putting 22" rims, dropping it with body kithave the sound system ready but not on.the car is black with black int.leather interior is exc. cond but rug has lots of dog hair which is nothing. If anyone can help me with any comments i'll appreciate thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

When it was done.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

I have a lexus GS300 94. My husband bought it for me from Sac. I drove it home just fine. Now it only starts sometimes. My husband put a new starter and battery terminals. The lights, radio and ac and everything inside the car turns on and works but the car is not turning over or cranking at all. There is a clicking noise in the fuse box. We own Hondas and Im starting to think I should stick with those. I really love the lexus gs though! any help please!

I have a dark red 2001 GS 430 that I bought with only 36,000 miles on it. I paid $19,000 from a private party and I am the 2nd owner. It is a very sweet ride and I love everything about it. My question is I will need to replace the tires this fall and I am looking for suggestions. It currently has Eagle GT 255/55/16 +4 tires. I have seen mention of Toyo Proxies and Sumitomo HTR tires. I am looking for the best performance for the lowest price as I will be putting on 25,000 per year. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Jamie

DONT KNOW IF YOUR LOOKING ANYMORE, BUT YOKOHAMA S DRIVE FOR SUMMER AND S4 FOR ALL YEAR ARE AMAZING AND NOT TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THE QUALITY

Have been running Toyo Proxies 4 (235/45ZR17) for 5 plus years and love them. Great wear rating, great ride and solid performance. The only downside is the wider tires suck in the snow. But that's not due to the tire quality, but rather the width of the tire, the weight of the car and the engine torque.

• 2 weeks later...

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

When it was done.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

From Lex 234

2000 Lexus GS300, 150,000 miles, great car

Slow to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold(first thing in the AM)

had diagnostics run, everything checked OK

shop could not duplicate problem during the day, kept car overnight

called next AM, said transmission had slight problem,, insufficient pressure for initial shifting at initial operation when engine is "cold"

car is now at transmission shop being checked

am I msking something masjor out a minor or possibly a normal situation? am I correct in pursuing the problem?

problem totally goes away as car warms up..

Any ideas please?? Thx

FYI we are in SC, morning temps around 75 F

• 4 weeks later...

Let me be the first to reply to this being that everyone else are sitting on their fingers.. I have really nice GS.. And it has tons of problems right now.. I'll list what I can remember off hand.. First off my mainseal is leaking, my Precision Industries TC rattles when the car is in PARK or NEUTRAL.. The front bumper drags on the ground, the right headlight and right Foglight don't work anymore.. Oh, and the strobes in the right foglight doesn't work either.. The hood is alittle twisted, the front right quarter panel fell off somehow.. Also something is wrong with my rim, whenever I go try to put air in the tire it just leaks out.. I think my control arms are bent and I keep hearing a clicking sound up front, so maybe a coilover is busted.. One more thing, I don't know what's up with Lexus hoods either, for some reason mine bent alittle.. :( :( I'm sure if I thought harder I can come up with some more things, but now I'm depressed enough so I'll stop...:wacko: :D ;) Here check it out... This is my car....:whistles: :whistles:

Here's my car if you care to see my bucket of bolts....