Tells Us About Your Car And Its Mods Or Problems

Year: 2001

Color (ext): silver

Color (int): black with wood trim

Mileage: 89k

All stock. Nothing modded....YET!

Bought from a dealer in Hayward. Bought it 4th of July weekend after I totaled my 1994 Lexus ES 300, poor *BLEEP*, other guys fault. Nobody hurt luckily.

Paid: $ 11,500

Have had some minor mechanical things done. Rotors resurfaced (stopped the wobbling wheel) , alignment done. Will have to do full fluid changes (F/R Differential, Transmission, Coolant, Oil etc)

Considering the following:

1. LED Tail Light conversion. Anybody had luck with that? Looked at the kit from Migicute.com for $400.

2. Navi/Head Unit. any recommendations? and how is the installation? easy? difficult? any tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

3. Tinting windows.

Just joined the forum. Lots of info. Thanks for everyones efforts.

• 1 month later...

I have a !999 GS 400. 195,001 miles. 2 owner. I knew the first owner. Car runs like new. Have ALL service records.

90% highways miles.

My sunroof just started not closing all the way?? It will sometimes go to the end when closing the back up to half track. My major problem with it is, when it does close, it will not "lift up" and seal the rear section of the sunroof/glass. I terrified to drive it for fear of rain getting through the small opening :(. I work on all of my vehicles. My Mercedes S600 did the same thing but cleared up after a time or two. I really want to fix this. I assume its a sensor failure and or debris/trash somewhere. Just a thought. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

List your model, year: 2000 GS300

# of owners: I'm the 3rd owner.

Price when bought and from where: Around $7k, private party

Lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs: I'll pick it up Tuesday (08/02/08).

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy): N/A

When it was done: N/A

Any mods done to the car and its costs: It has a Pioneer 10" sub & amp running off stock head unit.

If desired your age and insurance you pay: 30yrs old, additional cost was $29 monthly to existing payment. (Full Coverage)

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car: None, yet but give me time there will be.

Only question is that I have already done several google searches but minimal sights turn up for part & accessories for these beauties, maybe my google-fu is weak tonight but can someone provide a link to accessories or mods to enhance the exterior lighting and enterior looks?

Thanks and from what I've seen so far I wil be spending A LOT of time here learning about my new obsession!!

I HAVE A 1999 GS 300 LEXUS AND IT SHAKES LIKE IT CAN'T GET GAS. I DON'T KNOW IF ITS MY SPARKS PLUGS ARE WHAT. LAST TIME IT DID THAT THE VSC LIGHT CAME ON AND THEY CLAIM I HAD WATER IN THE PLUGS SO THEY CLEAN IT OUT. THIS PROBLEM COMES AND GOES NOW THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASH AND THE CAR SHAKE LIKE THERE NO POWER OR GAS!!!????

:(

* You posted this in the RX forum. I am moving this to the GS 300 forum where it should be.

Smooth 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a 94 GS 300. Its got fairly High KM on it but its in great shape. Got it for 3200 CDN.

The Right Headlight sits a little bit wonky as there is a bit of body damage on it, that and there is some rust, Normal wear and tear on the inside, I.e. leathers cracking a bit. Oh I got that annoyin SRS airbag light on but I really dont want to go to Lexus where there asking $124.00 per hour just for diagnostics.

I go to an independant mechanic who is really great.

What I plan to do?

I getting a 7" alpine In dash DVD/navigation from a friend for $300, and may buy his class D amp for $150-200.

Need bigger Rims on this baby. I plan till drive this car forever, and I want it to look good. SO ya. Thinking 18's as even though bigger rims prices arent too bad, the tires litterally kill you.

Tinting the windows, and adding HIDs to it. Probably gonna go 6000k. Anything Higher and Ill probably be pulled over by the cops.....ahem.

Definetly want to get my rust and body work done but need to save a bit for it.

Has anyone heard anything about the Michellin X-Ice XI 2's? I hear there good and thinking of using them for winter. (this is my first and only car so ya.)

B) Hey guys!

I've got a 95 GS300, only mods are tanabe DF springs and K&N.

and 2 amps 150watt for the stock sub and a 400watt for the other speakers.

I'm 2nd owner, bought it in TX for 4,000. It currently has 218k miles.

I've replaced the alternator one 2x since there is a lil oil leak that drips on it, but i replaced it about 6mo ago.

I just got a quick question about the RDI fuse, its for the radiator obviously and iits blown, like melted the plastic housing pretty bad. Anyone had problems with this before? I did research and shouhd i check the coolant temp sensor since it controls the radiator fan??

:blushing: I think this is related,since the coolant temp switch and AC high pressure switch control the relay. When i have the AC on, and floor it, SOMETIMES, the AC light blinks and doesnt work. but a few min later it works....

BTW i drive her HARD, like over 130mph daily to work, but i do let her warm up slowly and use good gas etc ;)

Any advice is appreciated, i tried to search RDI fuse here but the retarded search makes u search over 4 charachters....

cheers!!! :cheers:

2001 GS 300 --purchased in '04 from Lexus CPO site and drove from Memphsi to Lansing MI to pick up.Think it had around 30,000 mi (1 owner) now has 122,000 and still running great--no Mods but do have a>

JAMMED CD MAGAZINE--Is there a default or secret Button to release?

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus 2002 GS300, 2 owners. I bought it from a private owner, it got 80,000 miles on it and paid $10,400 for the car. i had to replace the timing belt, and break pads. Also, need to do tire balance, and aliment. total cost of repair is almost $1,500! it was fixed by the dealership at baltimore, maryland and they sure charged me a ton... I am currently using all state, and paying 107 a months but that's with my home owner discounts. it is a pretty clean car, the 1st owner really took good care of it and all maintance work was done by the dealership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I own a 95 GS300, just recently while driving on the freeway I experienced what I would call speed wobbles(steering column started shaking really bad) it almost felt like a tire was loose. It would go away when I accelerated or applied my breaks. I pulled over to check it out. The front right disc break was sizzling hot. I thought there might be something caught so I took of the wheel and couldn't see anything that looked wrong. I called Toyota and the mechanic I talked with said that he had worked on a similar year GS300 that had the same diagnosed problem and he ended up replacing suspension struts and I guess it solved the issue, however it ran around two grand!! I was curious as if anybody else had heard or experienced a similar problem. Thanks for reading.

93 gs300 with 177000 miles, bought with 151000 for $1500. 7/2007 when i bought it it had a hard vibration when braking. was told by previous owner that it needed a control arm, but ended up being front rotors so i replaced rotors and pads all around. replaced battery soon after, then full tune up, timing belt and water pump, since i bought the car it has had intermited electrical problems that arise every say 5 months.

when i got the car i could see it was abused, the rims were painted black, (car is black) windows were tinted all around with that wal-mart crap tint, original stereo was missing and a dvd player and tv were half !Removed! installed that worked only when it wanted to with the door panels cut up to put 3 6" speakers in eash front door panel, and the back panel cut to put 1 in each, there was a viper alarm system with remote start also half !Removed! installed that used to go off 2 times a week for absolut no reason then about a month after i had the car it stopped working. the carpets were painted (not dyed) dark brown, and a good portion of the interior trim was missing.

90% of the above problems have since been fixed or replaced and the engine and trans seem to be in great shape, judgeing by the way the car runs now i dont think i will have any major repairs till 210000 miles or more.

i always use full synthehic oil every 3000, and premuim gas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1994 Ls400

120k miles

2nd owner

bought in Florida, Florida car

Problem is with acceleration after about 1/4 down on the gas pedal. Sputters with hard acceleration and "jumps" but does not gain any speed. (like on ramps, passing, ect) Check engine light comes on as it sputters. Let off the gas and I'm able to accelerate slowly. I've tried: trunk wiring harness (looks good), fuel system cleaner, new plugs, wires, coils, cleaned throttle body, new air filter and new fuel filter. Heading to florida this week to see "her" and have an appt with a Toyota dealership. Have not checked the codes yet. Would like any hints before I go in for big $. Thanks for any suggestions.

Whats up guys? New to the site, names Max.

I've got a 1993 GS300 currently en route to Germany.

So far car's got minor problems, needs the rear bumper repainted, the wheels center caps are flaking off their chrome finish, stereo numbers are rubbing off,trunk lifts need to be replaced, simple stuff like that. All cosmetic mostly.

Just rebuilt the top end(didn't even need it, the 210,000 miles on it don't even show go toyota.)

Installed a 12" sub running off the factory amp in the factory sub's position(I think it was a 10"?), sounds a bit cleaner.

Double limo tinted the windows all around.

Bought a neat i-pod adapter.

And I've got some new rotors that I'll be throwing on that I found lying around the garage(Just plain, none of that fancy cross-drilled stuff.)

Car is silver, with the pinstriping removed for a cleaner look.

The plan!

Honestly I just want a good looking car, it was one of my dads cars and I bought it off him since being stationed in Germany(Snow!). It looks fairly good with the double limo tint and the pinstriping removed and the front bumper repainted(just need the back now), but I think I'd like to make it look even cleaner.

I'm looking at a 7" touchscreen in-dash dvd/gps unit for it. Some 8" subwoofers in the front door sils, 6.5" components in the back door sils. And headrest lcd's for the multimedia aspect of it. Added to the 12" sub I recently installed.

Performance was I was thinking a junkyard turbo kit, all the parts found through ebay(not the ebay stores, but used parts from private sellers).

Looking for anywhere between 350whp-450whp.

Lower it of course with some nice shoes too match, nothing crazy but some 19" somewhat dished chrome or gunmetal wheels would be cool.

That's about it, pics to come once the car arrives in Germany!

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to this forum. Recently purchased an 2002 GS400 and I noticed that one of the HID headlights has condensation after I wash the car and/or it rains. The obvious idea is to replace the headlight. I have read that these models have issues with condensation. One person said to drill a hole in the light, but I read that there are already breather holes....Any suggestions?

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

The paint doesn't look to good either. I have a 2002 Gs 300 Sport Design. If you have the black wood shift knob, do you want to sell it.

post-23754-1240162870_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How much did you have to pay for a recycled one?

I was told I have a similar problem a couple of days ago. The dealer wanted over $5,500 to replace the master and the booster. I bought the whole car for just about that much 2 years ago! I am having major trouble finding any rebuilt parts at all for this problem. I found a "kit" from parts.com and after $60 and a few hours of work rebuilt the master myself only to have the the same problem and even worse now. The pedal goes to the floor if you push it normal but will work ok when you push it fast. The dealer service rep said there is a bladder in the power unit that disintegrates over time. There were no signs of debre in the fluid so I don't think that's it but a used one might illuminate something. The pedal acts the same with the power on or off so I really don't think it's the power unit.

Any one have some direction on resolving this before I give up and part out an otherwise perfectly good GS300?

• 1 month later...

What's up everybody, I'm new on the forum so let me give you some info!

I have a 98 GS400 silver, I am the 2nd owner, it cost 32,500 when I purchased it.

I am thirty-six years old and pay about 1100 dollars a year. I had the car since 01 and have not had any problems till this year. The first problem I had was with the sunroof leaking which I fixed due to the front drains were clogged still have to due the rear drains, found out that water was getting in because my sunroof when fully closed is able to move up and down about one half an inch which I think was intentionally done by some one (how do I fix). My VSC, ABS, VSC off lights are on. This happened after I put lower ball joints on the front I did a little investigation and I think I stretched the ABS sensor wires. The only problem that I can't explain is since august 08 my car has stalled on me 5 times three when I was pushing it a little hard and came to a stop and twice with my wife she doesn't drive hard at all. I was told by one of my friends that has the same car that he had the same problem and the fuel pump is on its way out. But it stalls like it was a stick shift when you don't press the clutch when you come to a stop! which makes me think it's the torque converter any ideas. All work that was done on the car was done by me. Only mods on the car 19 inch axxis super mesh rims staggered set 245/35 front-275/30 rear, eibach lowering springs with recalibrated lexus factory shocks (to retain as much of the ride as possible) from L-Tuned. Also 2 kenwood amps, 4-4inch rockford fosgate speakers for the doors and 2-10inch dual voice kicker comps!

Hey, I love the pics...I have a 1998 GS300, what I'm wondering about is how you got the OZ wheels on there...I couldn't find any wheels that were decent that would fit (16") GS300 profile...

Thanks!

New to the board... Just thought I'd say hello! I bought my GS400 in March of this year and I love it to death. Truly, a driver's car! It is a 1999 with 50k. The car has Eibach Lowering Springs, Blitz Nur Spec full system exhaust and a set of 18" OZ Wheels (front 18 x 9 , rear 18 x 9.5) It is in almost perfect condition.

Here are a couple pix.

695504_16_full.jpg

695504_15_full.jpg

695504_17_full.jpg

695504_18_full.jpg

I haven't had any problems so far other than one I "may" have caused on my own. I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences. I maintained a fairly high speed (+100 mph) for a good 15 min and then, out of nowhere, this exit ramp to a long and straight highway approaches so I have to take it. At this point, I stomp my foot to the floor and hit just over 140 mph and I hold this speed for less than a minute when I notice a little bit of smoke in my rear view mirror. (Oh, *BLEEP*@!@!@) I pull over at the next exit and get out and open all doors and hood but only see smoke coming from right under the car about where the seats sit. It didn't smell like an overheat (temp. gauge was fine too) or rubber so my only two thoughts are I fried the cats or all the gaskets for the aftermarket exhaust system.

Any input would be much appreciated.

TIA

I had similar situation, i have 99 gs400, only at high speeds (100mph and up) i used to have smoke coming out. I took to a lexus dealer and found out my brake fluid pump busted and was spilling break fluid under the hood and at those high speeds heats up and smokes. Even though in front of the car, at speeds like that comes out of back. After repair, never saw smoke again.

Know its late but hope it helps

Space

im 25 i have a black 2001 gs430 i just bought like 3 weeks ago,carfax shows im the 2nd actual owner but 3rd person on title........im coming from a 93 es300 i have had for almost 6 years now! 83450 miles on car.........replaced brakes 2 days after buying car (they went out), sunroof has a support arm i need, i broke speaker on dash for mark levinson actually just speaker trim,ran over a squirrel on the way home and it ripped my plastic liner in front of my tire off! other than that nothing........

future plans........

im thinking hks rs coilovers, some deep dish black spoked with chrome lips or all black rims..........havent decided on 19" or 20" yet..........a big break kit, and maybe a exhaust!

SAKATAJ = YOUR THE MAN - the ride is sick