2000 Es300 Transmission Won't Shift When Cold

vetmx1

I have a 2000 Es300 with 141K miles. Runs good, nice car, etc.

In the chicago winters, I start the car from cold, and until it warms up, the trans has trouble shifting up.

In the neighborhood (driving slow), it gets up to right around 30 mph, and the engine is revving at 2750 rpm.

If the car were warm, it would shift, but because it's cold, it holds onto that gear.

If I go faster - up to about 3000 rpm, the car will then shift.

When I leave work, within several hundred feet, I'm on a fast road.

Because I'm on it a bit, the car keeps shifting, getting up to alomost 50mph, and about 3000 rpm.

It will not up shift. I've tried pressing it a couple times, but depending on how cold it is,

I'll have to drive another half mile or so, then it will shift up and drive like it normally would.

Once it cools off, it has these issues like clockwork.

I had a 95 camry v6 before this Lexus, and it never had this problem.

What the heck is going on? I've reset the car by disconnecting the battery for a long period of time. still does the same thing - when it's cold.

I THINK during the summer it was OK, but when the temps started cooling off, it would act up.

Does anyone else have this, or more importantly, know what is goin on?

THANKS!

I have a 2000 Es300 with 141K miles. Runs good, nice car, etc.

In the chicago winters, I start the car from cold, and until it warms up, the trans has trouble shifting up.

In the neighborhood (driving slow), it gets up to right around 30 mph, and the engine is revving at 2750 rpm.

If the car were warm, it would shift, but because it's cold, it holds onto that gear.

If I go faster - up to about 3000 rpm, the car will then shift.

When I leave work, within several hundred feet, I'm on a fast road.

Because I'm on it a bit, the car keeps shifting, getting up to alomost 50mph, and about 3000 rpm.

It will not up shift. I've tried pressing it a couple times, but depending on how cold it is,

I'll have to drive another half mile or so, then it will shift up and drive like it normally would.

Once it cools off, it has these issues like clockwork.

I had a 95 camry v6 before this Lexus, and it never had this problem.

What the heck is going on? I've reset the car by disconnecting the battery for a long period of time. still does the same thing - when it's cold.

I THINK during the summer it was OK, but when the temps started cooling off, it would act up.

Does anyone else have this, or more importantly, know what is goin on?

THANKS!

The tranny has to heat up to 153 degrees before it will shift normal. Very common in colder climates such as ours.

dcfish os correct. The ECM inhibits OD and converter clutch until the temperature is around 153 degrees F to improve drivability and engine warm up. Might also check the thermostat just in case it is opening a little too soon.

N.C.O.

yeah, it is basically normal. It is partially the tranny trying to get to temp and it is also control of the ECU to maintain proper emissions in the colder weather (at least so I have read).

I noticed on my 2002 ES, the older the car got -- the more it seemed like the tranny was slipping the colder the outside temp was. Days that is was below 10° were really bad, I would have to let is warm up in neutral (as opposed to park) for a few minutes to get the tranny to not rev so high.

steviej

Thank you for the input.

I had a 95 Camry that did not have this issue.

Seemed odd that this one did.

I normally don't warm a car up, i just get in and go,

but i also don't want to be too hard on the car.

I'll have to warm it up a bit in the winter before driving.

I wish i could get a 5 speed on this car,

but the older i get, the more spoiled I get. I like the auto.

I was hoping my wife would get a 5 speed so i could still drive one.

Maybe an 'IS' next time.

Thanks.

• 11 years later...

I have a 2000 lexus ES 300 250,000 miles im the 3rd owner my aunt had 15 years befor me it didn't do it for her i got the car it turn to 200,000. A friend drove my car and said did you know your is having trouble shifting to 3rd in the morning i said ya only when its really cold out but she is good if you warm her up for 5 mins before you drive but we don't have that cold of winter here in Washington so try 10 mins then drive she sould be good