Hf Mobile Installation Problem

SAM2008

Hello there dear owners .I have Lexus 470, model, 2006.It is great car, however I ran into many problems while installing HF mobile rig. I have connected my radio directly from the battery (12 volt fuses cable).

As per the HF installation procedures, we have to connect ground output of the radio to vehicle common ground. Also the radio tunes to chassis common ground.

I could not find any mention the owner manual that indicates clearly the chassis ground points. So I have connected both radio tuner and radio ground to safety belts bolts. It worked okay for sometime and I was able to transmit with SWR between 1 and 1.2.How ever after sometime I got problems with high SWR(1>>INFINITY) and my radio keeps on tripping since power is not going out??

I then hooked both grounds through copper braid to the under body chassis near the bumper with bolt, but unfortunately the problem is not resolved. I used ammeter to test continuity, and I cannot find continuity in the chassis. I have also observed very strange thing. While transmission test , I see instruments paned signal lights illuminating , also brake lights on rare window blinking?

I am not sure , if this is related the computer system in the car or navigation system?

Please advise if you came across similar problem while installing your HF mobile rig.

Best regards

SAM

:unsure:

Hello from WA4OTD!

I would reference everything to RF ground near the radio. Run DC power and then the radio is the center. Sounds like it has a built in tuner? What antenna do you have and where is it mounted? Is it connected with coax? Does it connect to ground where it is mounted?

Hello from WA4OTD!

I would reference everything to RF ground near the radio. Run DC power and then the radio is the center. Sounds like it has a built in tuner? What antenna do you have and where is it mounted? Is it connected with coax? Does it connect to ground where it is mounted?

Thanks a lot for your reply.For information.The radiio tuner i have is ICOM AH-4 and radio is 706 MK-2G .All located in the back .Antenna is AH2B whip antenna.

Regards

SAM