Rotor Replacement Question ?

shanemcse

Does anybody know what size the bolt is in the middle of the rotor? I think it's called a retainer bolt. It's pretty large and none of my normal tools will fit. I am not even sure if it has to come off or not but I only have one car so I need to make sure I have everything I need to get the job done. I already have the pads, rotors, brake cleaner, and that stuff to put on the back of the pads to keep them quite.

This is for a 2008 ES350 for the front rotors.

I certainly cannot help you with your question (if I could I would)... but when you finish the job could you post the process you went through to change the rotors and pads and any issues you encounter?

(I posted questions about this process and no one responded…)

I think this might be a job I could complete on my own when the time comes.

Where did you buy the parts – is there a good site on-line? How many miles are on your car?

Mine has 9k and the brakes seem fine – but I read somewhere that it doesn’t hurt to replace the pads every 10k, because it is so easy and inexpensive. I was thinking about ceramic.

Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know what size the bolt is in the middle of the rotor? I think it's called a retainer bolt. It's pretty large and none of my normal tools will fit. I am not even sure if it has to come off or not but I only have one car so I need to make sure I have everything I need to get the job done. I already have the pads, rotors, brake cleaner, and that stuff to put on the back of the pads to keep them quite.

This is for a 2008 ES350 for the front rotors.

The big nut in the middle of the hub does not have to be loosened unless you are doing something to the wheel bearings. The rotor fits between the wheel and the hub. It is held in place by the wheel lug nuts and a couple of small bolts. Sometimes the rotor gets rusted or frozen in place. When that happens you free it up by threading the small bolts into the other holes in the rotor. As they go deeper they will pull the rotor loose. The pads should last 40 or 50 thousand miles (more or less, dependiing on how you drive - some people could wear them out in 10 or 15 thousand miles, but that would be the exception). Replacing them when they are not worn out is just throwing money away. Invest in a Hayes or similar manual (for the Toyota Camry if they don't have one for the ES 350). It shows the process in detail, complete with pictures. It is worth it's weight in gold for a lot of jobs, shows torque values, etc.

dave t

I guess I am a bit shocked that brakes could last 40-50k miles. My good co-worker friend just had hers replaced (05 Maxima) and the car has near 60k. With all of the posts from people changing their brakes at 15-20k on their 350's I just thought Lexus brakes were soft or something.

I guess I am a bit shocked that brakes could last 40-50k miles. My good co-worker friend just had hers replaced (05 Maxima) and the car has near 60k. With all of the posts from people changing their brakes at 15-20k on their 350's I just thought Lexus brakes were soft or something.

We traded my wife's ES330 (2005) a couple of months ago with 45000 miles on it and the brakes showed no signs of needing replacement. Most brakes now have a wear indicator (a wire that rubs on the rotor and makes a skreeching sound) which will warn of brakes needing replacement. As a matter of fact, we put about 100,000 miles,on her 2000 ES300 and were still on the original pads, both front and rear. And yes, we do stop by using the brakes - not just by running into things.

dave t