Rough When Warming Up

silvermistLS

Hi all,

Just had a quick question on something that I've noticed over the past month or so.. I have a 93 LS with 125K miles on it. It had a major maint. done at 120K including new denso iridium plugs, full trany flush, oil, cooland flush, and runs like a champ. I have however, notice a weird roughness when I jump in the car in the morning or after it's been sitting for a day or many hours... the revs go up to like 1000 or 1200 which is normal, but then there is just a slight vibration. But once it warms up, there is not such vibration anymore. Even after it sits another 3 or 4 hours, there is no vibration when I start the car, just when it's cold (engine) i guess. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be, or is it something to worry about? like I said, beyond it being annoying, the cars runs normal.

Thanks,

After speaking to my mechanic today, he told me it could be condensation or water getting into 1 or more of the cilinders.. or through a bad gasket. He said that this would explain why it idles rough when it warms up and then decipates once the car is warm ( this morning, I decided to pay more attention to it, and accelerate it myself after about 2 minutes of warming up... and yes the roughness is still present at approx. 1200rpm... and some other parts of the rev range just don't seem as smooth as they where 2 or 3 months ago. After about 15 minutes, then it's back to normal... so it takes a while to get that ??water?? out maybe.. The mechanic said "wait till the engine light comes on, that way we'll know if will probably be a misfire from one of the cylinders once we hook it up to the computer..

Anyone every experienced something like this?? I've always been on top of the maintenance (car was dealer maintained) and can't think it could be the motor.. could it be a motor mount? I put it in neutral, and it does the same thing when cold....

HELP!!!

Thanks, guys.

Okay, I guess no one has experienced the problem I have..

In case it comes up for someone, I've learned from several mechs.. that I could be the spark plug wires, and cap and rotors... (as opposed to some condensation or water leaking into 1 or more cylinders). I'll post if I learn what it could be.

i havent had it happen on my LS but not to long ago it happened on a ford of mine.

...its sounds like its a bad gasket, water sips through. when the water evaporates from

the heat of the motor it runs fine. its only gonna get worst if its the gasket. if you have good

mechs...they should know if its a gasket....let us know.

THanks KillerFatty.. I replaced plugs about 4 months ago, but did not do wires or cap and rotor.. Wires are originals I think.. I hope that does the trick... 1st I will run OBD1 to see if any code is coming up... although nothing lights up on dash.

Totall yodd, i never heard of any gaskets going out on a v8 lexus, especially an engine gasket. Take it to someone who knows what there doing- chutch

its not the wires or plugs or anything like that otherwise it would do it all the time.....things like tps,maf,iac are things that control air/fuel mixture and idling....maybe ur throttle body needs cleaning....just throwing out suggestions here

One thing you can try that won't cost you anything is checking the EFI relay and making sure it's securely connected when you put it back in. Sticking injector until it warms up is another possibility. An igniter that's starting to fail might be another. Take your car to the garage you trust and leave it overnight. Have them scope it next morning when it's cold. Simple test, shouldn't cost much.

its not the wires or plugs or anything like that otherwise it would do it all the time.....things like tps,maf,iac are things that control air/fuel mixture and idling....maybe ur throttle body needs cleaning....just throwing out suggestions here

Python,

you are the man!! this other mechanic friend of mine hooked the car up to the computer to see if it was throwing some kinda code.... Sure enough... TPS sensor. He got it from this warehouse for 98 bucks (toyota original) and will be installing it tomorrow. Hopefully this is the issue.

I will report tomorrow guys once I get it installed and see if that resolves the issue.

Alrighty..So I had the TPS changed, and my mech also adjusted the throttle positioning (meaning rotated the TPS clockwise, since when he first installed the TPS and reset the fuse, the car was idling in park, at 1000RPM. When he hooked it up to computer, the error 41 (bad TPS) was gone.. after cycling through the program, it said throttle opening degree needed to be at 76-80 degrees, mine was at 73. He adjusted it to 78, and boy it made a significant difference.. as before, the throttle seemed hard or sluggish. The morning vibrations are still there, but not as prevalent. I'll just have to wait and see what that does.. but as far as throttle application and response, MUCH better!

Thanks,

Al

I get the same roughness for a very short period of time on my 95 LS 400 which has 240,000 miles on it. The car runs very smooth with good power and I get over 525 miles on a tank of gas on the highway so I don't worry about it. The roughness is also accompanied by puffs of smoke so I think the cylinders are just cleaning themselves out.

Well,

In regards, to motormounts, they were checked and seem to be good. Tell me if I'm wrong, but here's the way to check them... Put car in park, apply hand brake, as well as regular foot brake, and then gently accelerate to maybe 2k rpm in order to notice if there is engine flex or movement. Well, there is none with mine. I think if it was an engine mount issue, it would always vibrate at that RPM, and the truth is that it only does it when the engine is cold... There is something wrong, like maybe an injector, or a sensor somewhere that is making it not idle or run right. As I mentioned before, the car is not eating up any oil, it's not smoking at all, I'm puzzled... I'm thinking of taking it to a lexus only mechanic that was recommended to me.

One question, will the computer tell me if there is an issue with the sparkplug wires, or cap and rotors? After hooking it up and getting the 41 error code (TPS) and changing the TPS, it now reads clear. But I'm wondering if there might be issues with the wires... Certainly hope it's not an engine issue... I couldn't imagine it, since it's always had meticulous maintenance record.

My 93 is vibrating and shuttering after cold starts. It takes a good 4 seconds of cranking to get her goin', and when it gets going there is a breif, strange, grinding skreeching noise. the car vibrates until warm, like Silver. I am going to pull the codes and clean the throttle body asap, but i was wondering how you are supposed to know where the TPS needs to be adjusted to. Thanks in advance.

what is a "TPS sensor" and where is it located in a 92ls400. I have been having the same problem. thanks for the help.

My 93 is vibrating and shuttering after cold starts. It takes a good 4 seconds of cranking to get her goin', and when it gets going there is a breif, strange, grinding skreeching noise. the car vibrates until warm, like Silver. I am going to pull the codes and clean the throttle body asap, but i was wondering how you are supposed to know where the TPS needs to be adjusted to. Thanks in advance.

You know the TPS will pop a code if there's a prob. If you're just doing maintenance, here's the htd:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html

:cheers:

what is a "TPS sensor" and where is it located in a 92ls400. I have been having the same problem. thanks for the help.

You know the TPS will pop a code if there's a prob. If you're just doing maintenance, here's the htd:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html

:cheers:

thanks for all the help guys now i can check al this stuff. Is royal purple a good oil to use in such an old car with 218000 miles on it?