Engine Whining

I have a 02 GS430 with 87000 miles. This past week the engine has produced a whining noise that is coming from the front serpentine area, maybe bottom right looking at engine. Definitely louder as RPM's increase. Anyone know what this may be?

Any help is appreciated!!

idle pulley!!!

i BET its that...my last car was an altima and i decided to go like 120 on the highway once time for like 10 seconds and that did it in...it whined and seemed to be in sync with the RPM...turns out it was the idle pulley that was making the noise...try that out

idle pulley!!!

i BET its that...my last car was an altima and i decided to go like 120 on the highway once time for like 10 seconds and that did it in...it whined and seemed to be in sync with the RPM...turns out it was the idle pulley that was making the noise...try that out

Thanks for the help. I'll go that route first.

I do wind out my gears on occasion so maybe the high RPM's had an impact...

Looking at the engine bottom right would be the A/C compressor. The idler pulley seats right on top underneath the throttle body. The tensioner pulley on the left side by the alternator and power steering pump. Use a long screw driver or a handle see if you can narrow down when the noise is coming from.

N.C.O.

idle pulley!!!

Thanks for the help. I'll go that route first.

I do wind out my gears on occasion so maybe the high RPM's had an impact...

welcome to the club BOTH of u.

I'm not saying that's what the problem is but the part is a idler pulley he's referring to, not a idle pulley just so you don't have ne miscommunications. since the idler pulley(s) (i believe there is only one on the gs400/gs430/sc400/sc430) is/are part of the scheduled 90k maintenance and your coming up on 90k y not save yourself some time/money and do all of the 90k maintenance at the same time? this way u don't have to have someone go right back into working on your car right after you got this one problem fixed. the higher R.P.M.'s shouldn't have affected these, they are just a part that wears out over time just like everything else. but they will make a whining noise when they going bad as they starting to "loosen" make sure your belt isn't all frayed and tearing right now to or you might have to do this sooner than later

Do you know where I can find a serpentine diagram? After further inspection and listening, it sound like the top center pulley when facing the engine. This is a small pulley with a single bolt in the center. Is this the water pump maybe??

Do you know where I can find a serpentine diagram? After further inspection and listening, it sound like the top center pulley when facing the engine. This is a small pulley with a single bolt in the center. Is this the water pump maybe??

yes im farely certain thats the waterpump pully. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong......i just went and checked my car and it looks to the the water pump pulley.

Fixed!! This is the Idler Pulley which is only attached to the front of the water pump. This water pump is driven by an internal idler pulley that operates from the timing belt. The Pulley was $80.00 at Lexus dealer, and I changed along with new serpentine belt. Took all of 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for all who helped!!

• Like 2

Fixed!! This is the Idler Pulley which is only attached to the front of the water pump. This water pump is driven by an internal idler pulley that operates from the timing belt. The Pulley was $80.00 at Lexus dealer, and I changed along with new serpentine belt. Took all of 10-15 minutes.

ewwwwwwwwwwwww dont go to stearlership next time. i got my whole timing belt kit (bearings, idler pulleys, belt, etc for like 100)

• 13 years later...
On 11/25/2008 at 10:21 AM, RavenDavey said:

I have a 99 GS400 and I did 100 on the highway today, came home and decided I wanted some ice cream went to the grocery store came out and noticed this whining humming noise coming from the engine bay hoping it's not anything super expensive lol 🤣 so I guess I have to add this idler pulley to the list. Oh also why does this car have issues with the front suspension I've just replaced upper and lower control arms etc now I'm about to do the Rack and pinion because I have some play in it that I noticed when I had it in the air doing my oil change.