Will Not Start! Please Help!

Hi all! I am desperate and very confused! :blink:

I replaced my battery last night... easy operation. However, now that I have done so, my 93 GS will not start at all!

Here are the symptoms:

When I go to open the door, the hazard lights, and all the interior dash lights begin to flash (the alarm does not sound).

The LED alarm indicator continues to flash.

There is no "tell tale" clicking whatsoever from the starter.

There is full power to the lights, etc., from the new battery.

I thought it might have something to do with the starter circuit being disabled (theft deterrent), but I followed the exact procedures to cancel the system to no avail.

I contacted a local Lexus service department, and they had no idea what could be causing the problem. In fact, they had not heard of the hazards flashing in that manner.

Please!! Has anyone experienced this before! If so, please let me know what could be causing this.

Thanks!

Ric

You aren;t the first owner of the car i am guessing , I also would say a previous owner had an aftermarket alarm. IT is STILL in there. You need toe find the extra fuse or wiring and disconnect it. I am guessing it was in valet for a while.

Try looking for an extra switch or button under the dash. If you find one tehn open the door when the the lights aren;t flashing , find the button or switch and press it , then Turn the key forward and it should stop byu returning to valet mode. Then have a alarm shop either remove it find replacement remotes or put a new one in..

Did you ever have a llittle red light in the car that was always on no matter what. Not the regular lexus one on the cluster bezel.

Yes, there are currently 2 red LED lights in this vehicle. One (which is the standard) is directly next to the dash light control. The second is the LED that is flashing repeatedly. It is on the veritcal portion of the instrument panel (sort of... the portion that is smooth leading up to the plastic covering of the guages.

Seems you may be correct about something "additional" being there. Though I have never had an alarm go off (other than the standard equipment), I can find no mention of a second LED in the user manual.

Now the trick will be locating the source and disabling it.

Thanks!

Ric

No problem .

It is defintly an aftermarket alarm. It is flashing fast as it is now armed and needs to go back nito valet.

Look under the dash around the pedals or console and around there definatly is a switch or button . Find it swithc it and turn the key and it will stay deactivated for a while.

Don;t worry about finding the alam brain as you won;t be able to do anything with it.

It also depends on wether the alarm has an open or closed cuicit for the starter kill.

If it is normally open relay then you have to keep it connected until it is replaced. In others that are normally closed then only when the alarm arms will it activate the relay to cut off the starter. In the later case if you found the brain then you could disconnect the harneses and not bother again with it. But much better to leave it to a pro.

You're the best! A bit dark out now to be rummaging about, but first thing tomorrow, I will do just that. The more I read your explanation, the more it simply seems to make sense. (Always did wonder why there were 2 LEDs.)

I will update tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Ric

Hey again.

Had to check it out tonight with the flashlight. Sure enough, I did find the tell-tale switch you were referring to under the dash. Problem is, when I switch it, I am still getting the same result when I try to start the car.

Any suggestions on what to look for (or try) next?

At a minimum, at least I am moving in the right direction now!!

Thanks,

Ric

I would have been out there 2 doing the same thing. :lol:

You need to let the lights stop flashing.

open a door and it will start to go off.

then flip the switch and turn the key forward ,

it should stop the alarm from going off.

also see if there is a button as well.

It sounds like the alarms siren has been removed also.

After setting off the alarm you have less than 10 seconds to flip the switch or press the button.

Okay... plain and simple: you are THE MAN!!!!

I'll be damned if the car didn't start. I cannot tell you -- not only how much I appreciate your help, but also how much cash you just saved me from having to have the car towed to a shop!

If you are ever in Southern California and need a favor, I owe you one for sure!! :cheers:

Thanks again!

Ric