Starter Cover/shield

Blaxus

Well, Here is my first posting. I recently bought a 1992 LS 400 with 182,000 mi. on it. It is a beautiful, powerful quiet dream of a drive.

I 've been reading these posts for a week now to try and decide wether or not to post here. I have been very pleased at the level of maturity and helpfulness offered by most of those who post.

That being said,...Only after I went to the local Lexus dlr did I discover that they would want to charge me $1,600+ for a new p/s pump and then poss $700 for a new alternator. This site has given me some better ideas of how to deal with this issue. However, has anyone successfully fabricated and mounted a drip shield for the alternator?????

I did the cover on pg 21 in the gallery--it was easy and protects the alt.

Suggest you change the brush set if you have it off. Go to any alternator/starter shop--they can change these within 5 minutes--wait on it!!!

Also I changed the power steering pump a couple of weeks ago. go to AutoZone--about $104. no problem on that either[but I have a lift in the garage!]

type both items in 'search' to get past posts[set at 365 days].

Blaxus - the best advice that you will ever receive here from most individuals will be to buy a set of factory service manuals for your specific year and do-it-yourself.... You will save thousands of $$$$ over the long run......Dealerships are stealerships......they will rob you blind......

The manuals are very good & if you are mechnically inclined, you will enjoy working on it yourself & know that a dealer didnt absorbently overcharge you....

Manuals can be obtained from www.lexus-parts.com

Jeff

I checked at my local Lexus dealer and there are three manuals (at least for the 1990). $350 for all three ($100 - $100 - $50). I wasn't going to buy them but I am now. with the help I get from everyone here, I am inspired.

VBDenny - check out www.lexus-parts.com for your manuals. For all three it is $250. Save yourself a $100 or so.... & maybe no tax either....

00245-RM144-U1 - R/M 1990 LS400 Volume 1 Engine (reprint) $101.50

00245-RM144-U2 - R/M 1990 LS400 Volume 2 Chassis/Body (reprint) $90.02

00245-RM144-U3 - R/M 1990 LS400 Volume 3 Body/AC/EWD $60.00

Info from their website.....

Jeff

Thanks to all who responded to my issue.

I did find the pic in the gallery section of the plastic shield for the alternator. However, with the shield made of plastic (apparently from some sort of jug?) are there any heat related melting issues???

BTW - Being the son of a Detroit GM auto engineer, I have had grease under my nails since I was 7.

That's just another reason I enjoy this forum. I love the DIY aspect of just about any situation.

Thanks Again,-

I hope to contribute in the future.

Jeff-

• 12 years later...

Hi.  My 97 LS400 has a powersteering leak.  Love to know how to make an alternator shield while I'm troubleshooting this.  Anyone have a DIY for this?  98LS, your posted pics aren't working.  Appreciate any help. 

No pics ??? That is my biggest complaint about any of these websites. Stop with the off site picture stuff. Because the links go bad. All pics need to be put on the website here, just like the typed words are put here. Then they won't be lost. I would be posting pictures like crazy if there was a place to put them. So since there isnt' I gave up years ago on the camera and online posting of pics.  As far as the shield I have not done it yet. But you could even use a large coffee can for the material and make a bracket from steel pieces from a home depot or other hardware store.

Interesting that the title to this thread is incorrect. Not a starter but an alternator...oh well.

There is another thread that shows how a guy cut an aluminum roaster pan and formed it around the alternator. Not saying I endorse this method, but it does show a picture.