Ipod Adaptor

dieseljeanslover

Hi Folks!

Can anyone make a good recommendation for an Ipod adaptor?

I have a 2002 Is300 with six disc changer. I DO NOT have the stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Ideally I would want something that would give me the song readout on the LCD display and that would fit nicely in the little storage spot right below the stereo and not too hard to install as I would probably be taking it to a best buy or something to have them do it.

I tried the FM transmitter and the sound quality was horrible!

Thanks for any advice and recommendations!

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently using a Belkin and it works great. I bought it at Best Buy for 99.00 and the sound quality is real good...simple too use also .....You push a button and it tells you the best sound station for the area you are in ....I love it

• 1 month later...

I bought an adapter from GromAudio (www.gromaudio.com) for less than $100 bucks. It wires directly into the back of the factory stereo and operates as a CD changer in the trunk. The head unit controls the ipod, which can be left in the glovebox, or wherever you want it. i ran mine up into the 'center box' so that i can control the pod by hand if i want.

I had one of the griffin radio transmitters first and the sound quality is infinitely better on the grom. I had a little trouble with the first grom and customer support was absolutely great; i took out the one i had, sent it to them, and they sent me a new one free of charge.

If you have any knowledge of removing the head unit you can install this adapter. By any and all means, check this out before you buy anything else! I know i sound like i'm trying to sell this, but i have nothing to do with the company; just a well satisfied customer.

I read about this on myis.net, and wanted to pass it on!

I just bought a 2004 IS 300. One of the first things I want to do is hook up the ipod adapter. I looked at the grom and I will be ordering tomorrow. I am curious on how to get started. On other cars I have had no problem geting to the radio. I was looking over the IS and I'm not sure where to start without busting stuff up. So, where do I start? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi Folks!

Can anyone make a good recommendation for an Ipod adaptor?

I have a 2002 Is300 with six disc changer. I DO NOT have the stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Ideally I would want something that would give me the song readout on the LCD display and that would fit nicely in the little storage spot right below the stereo and not too hard to install as I would probably be taking it to a best buy or something to have them do it.

I tried the FM transmitter and the sound quality was horrible!

Thanks for any advice and recommendations!

While it won't show up in the LCD display as you would like, a $10 cassette adaptor is your most cost effective/sonically superior solution. I have a iphone/pod holder attached to my windshield ( $20 ) so I can see the readout on the iphone. This solution sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...

I just inherited an IS300 and am trying to get my iPod/iPhone to work with a tape adapter. However, I believe the tape deck is not reading the adapter correctly and interpreting that there is no tape inside. So, it ejects the tape after about 5 seconds. I've used this adapter for years in my old car right up until I got the Lexus. Maybe my adapter is old, or not the right kind for the tape deck, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my adapter to work?

• 2 weeks later...
I just inherited an IS300 and am trying to get my iPod/iPhone to work with a tape adapter. However, I believe the tape deck is not reading the adapter correctly and interpreting that there is no tape inside. So, it ejects the tape after about 5 seconds. I've used this adapter for years in my old car right up until I got the Lexus. Maybe my adapter is old, or not the right kind for the tape deck, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my adapter to work?

Same thing happened to mine (2003 IS 300)... I even tried to tape the wire along the side of the tape and jam it in for a tighter fit... no luck. I gave up on it and am looking for another method. I bought the Belkin FM modulator for about 100$ and had a really crappy output.

• 1 month later...

sorry to disappear for so long!

the grom does not display track info, but for the difference in price i was willing to sacrifice. i just ran the wire up through the center box and left it long enough that i can keep the pod in my lap and control from the pod or the head unit. works well enough.

to get behind the radio: both the plastic housing around the heated seat switches (below the head unit) and the tray housing above the head unit just pull straight out. it's a bit of a hassle; i usually just put some pressure on the bottom of the seat heat switch housing with my hand and slowly increase pulling force toward the shifter until the housing pops loose. on the top i kinda work my fingers into a holding spot on the vent outlets and pull toward the shifter, it's a little more difficult, but careful steadily increasing pressure does it every time. once those are off you take 4 10mm screws out (can't miss them) and pull the radio toward you. easy.