Rx350 Engine "knocking/rattle"

I have a 2008 RX350, 32000 miles. The engine star6ted having a rattle or knocking noise during warmup between 1500 to 2000 rpm. It gradually goes away after the engine warms up to normal temp. Lexus says this is normal. I haven't heard of it before.

I have a 2008 RX350, 32000 miles. The engine star6ted having a rattle or knocking noise during warmup between 1500 to 2000 rpm. It gradually goes away after the engine warms up to normal temp. Lexus says this is normal. I haven't heard of it before.

Some owners on this site have blamed the noise on the timing chain. Mine makes a bit of noise when cold but the sound is gone within five minutes. It is barely noticeable unless you concentrate on hearing it.

If yours is making a lot of noise, or you perceive it to be especially noisy, try going to the dealer and starting a cold RX on the lot to see if the sound is similar. Then you can march into the service adviser and make your point.

Some owners on this site have blamed the noise on the timing chain. Mine makes a bit of noise when cold but the sound is gone within five minutes. It is barely noticeable unless you concentrate on hearing it.

If yours is making a lot of noise, or you perceive it to be especially noisy, try going to the dealer and starting a cold RX on the lot to see if the sound is similar. Then you can march into the service adviser and make your point.

Thanks.

It's been back to the dealer twice. Both times they had a "factory rep" check it and say it was a normal noise, but the factory is looking for a fix. It won't hurt to drive it. I guess I'll keep driving it for awhile.

Thanks.

It's been back to the dealer twice. Both times they had a "factory rep" check it and say it was a normal noise, but the factory is looking for a fix. It won't hurt to drive it. I guess I'll keep driving it for awhile.

Eifhgt of my last ten Lexus vehicals have had this noise, and yes it is normal so don't fret it.

It is like a bag of Jalapenos: What you do today can burn your a$$ tomorrow.

Thanks.

8 of my last 10 Lexus vehicals have had this noise, and yes it is normal so don't fret it.

It is like a bag of Jalapenos: What you do today can burn your a$$ tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

SLW: New member and just read your input about RX350 engine "knocking/rattle". I share your concern. Anything that knocks, rattles, cliks, squeeks, grinds, thumps or rubs could be a potential problem and should be investigated and/or repaired. The knocking occurs on my '08 RX350 15000mi when cold and is particularly noticed on acceleration. It seems to go away when the engine warms up. This leads me to think along the lines of an exhaust manifold leak perhaps. Anyone else experienceing this problem found a fix. Living with it is not the answer.

SLW: New member and just read your input about RX350 engine "knocking/rattle". I share your concern. Anything that knocks, rattles, cliks, squeeks, grinds, thumps or rubs could be a potential problem and should be investigated and/or repaired. The knocking occurs on my '08 RX350 15000mi when cold and is particularly noticed on acceleration. It seems to go away when the engine warms up. This leads me to think along the lines of an exhaust manifold leak perhaps. Anyone else experienceing this problem found a fix. Living with it is not the answer.

Turn the radio up.

• 2 weeks later...

fbsdmd,

Turn up the radio? HAHAHA. That's the best reply I've read all day. It's funny, because it's true.

SLW, I hear a rattling/knocking noise when starting my car although I don't remember hearing it when I bought it brand new, but the noises appeared soon (within the first 5 to 10,000 miles of driving). Also, not sure if this helps but the noise seems to have lessened after bringing it in for my 5,000 service.

As I type this my car is at the dealership getting a 15,000 mile service.

*Edit

I should add that like the other replies on this post, the noise seems to go away after driving around for a while.

I guess I'll chime in and say that I've also had this 'problem' with my 08 RX 350 since the day I drove it off the lot (23K miles now), but it really hasn't ever bothered me because it goes away after a few miles, and I've always chalked it up to a normal cold engine warming up.

I guess I'll chime in and say that I've also had this 'problem' with my 08 RX 350 since the day I drove it off the lot (23K miles now), but it really hasn't ever bothered me because it goes away after a few miles, and I've always chalked it up to a normal cold engine warming up.

:D

Being a certified tec (not for lexus) I have had this noise in 8 of my last 10 lexus vehicals. I have used my electronic stethoscope on this engine, on top and underneath, this noise is real loud at each fuel injector so I surmise it has something to do with the tension of the Injector spring lexus uses. Just drive it as It never seems to get any worse.

I just did the 10k mile oil/filter change on my wife's 09 RX350...I've been noticing the tapping when cold for the last few thousand miles. As has been said, it goes away once warmed up...usually within 5-10 minutes of start-up. Now that I know others are experiencing it too...guess I'll mention it to the dealership and see what they say.

I just did the 10k mile oil/filter change on my wife's 09 RX350...I've been noticing the tapping when cold for the last few thousand miles. As has been said, it goes away once warmed up...usually within 5-10 minutes of start-up. Now that I know others are experiencing it too...guess I'll mention it to the dealership and see what they say.

Please share with us here what they do tell you. I think we'd all be interested in hearing what they say..

• 10 years later...

I bought a 2004 Lexus 330 in November 18 with 60K miles and had no problems.  Just last week, it started rattling ONLY when the radio is on (so turning the radio up is NOT the answer). Does anyone know what that could be?  PS - it's not the bass - I turned it all the way down.  It doesn't matter if the music is loud or soft - it just has to be on.