Alternator Died

I took my car into the shop yesterday and had the timing belt replaced, the serpentine belt replaced and the water pump replaced and today on the way to work all the lights on the dash lit up and the car started coming to a slow down. The radio no longer worked and the car could not go faster than 5 miles per hour. When I took it back to the shop they said the alternator failed and it was not their fault, they claim it was coincidental even though there were never any previous trouble signs. Should I believe them?

Edit: I also had the belt tensioner replaced.

alternators die out of no where... i may or may not be coincidental... how many miles on the car, what year is it? If the car started up though it still should have at least run... not going more than 5 miles an hour seems a little strange... i hope they didn't fudge your timing and wreck your engine... What part of NY are you in?

alternators die out of no where... i may or may not be coincidental... how many miles on the car, what year is it? If the car started up though it still should have at least run... not going more than 5 miles an hour seems a little strange... i hope they didn't fudge your timing and wreck your engine... What part of NY are you in?

I have about 125k on it and it is a 2001. They tried telling me that the new serpentine belt probably ruined the brushes on the alternator and thats why it failed all of a sudden. There weren't any signs of failure prior and car started instantly so the battery seemed to have been properly charging. Since the car could not move on its own, I gave in and let them replace the alternator and now it works again. I'm still puzzled and just wondering for my own knowledge at this point.

I have about 125k on it and it is a 2001. They tried telling me that the new serpentine belt probably ruined the brushes on the alternator and thats why it failed all of a sudden. There weren't any signs of failure prior and car started instantly so the battery seemed to have been properly charging. Since the car could not move on its own, I gave in and let them replace the alternator and now it works again. I'm still puzzled and just wondering for my own knowledge at this point.

The ABS, VSC and VSC off light are on now, and occasionally the air bag light goes on, but sometimes turning on the heater or windshield wipers makes the airbag light turn off. Restarting the car makes the lights go out too and they sometimes don't come back until the next day. Could it be possible the alternator is generating too much voltage?