Replace Power Steering Rack Pinion, Pump, And Pressure Hose

motoroil

Motoroil,

Everything is doable, if you have the tools, the time and the experience. I'm a backyard mechanic who has been in the backyard for quite a while, and I would tackle this job, but not happily. You can do the job on jack stands, but using a hoist would make it soooo much simpler. You will need some specialized tools to remove the tie rods (Possibly rent them from your parts supplier? Some places will just lend them to you.) And if you measure carefully the number of threads showing on each of your tie rods on the old rack, and put them at the same measurement on your new rack, you won't have to do a front end alignment when completed. There isn't a lot of room to work and that will raise the frustration point. Use the correct power steering fluid and filling procedure when you get everything installed. Good Luck!

So I need to replace my power steering rack and pinion unit, the power steering pump, and my pressure hose. Has anyone here done it themselves before? Is it a real PITA or doable?

Thanks

You are a braver man than I.

I had a 95 camry v6. leaky power steering. I did the high pressure hose.

saved a bunch on parts and install. the rack was still leaking, so I had someone else do it.

Looked impossible to get it out.

wonder if this is a more common problem on these cars??

You should post what you can on the job.

how difficult? your procedure, pics...?

Good Luck!

I just completed a transmission rebuild of my wifes ES300. As part of the tranny removal, I removed the sway bar but left the power steering rack still connected when I dissambled the a frame that holds everything in the engine bay. removal of the transmission only took two hours. I rebuilt the transmission myself because of more time than money and completed the task in 6 hours. I reinstalled transmission back into vehicle in 3 hours. I only have to reinstall axels, cruise control mod, battery and air filter and im done.

I found if you removed the two rear bolts for the botton assembly it will drop the rear where the rack is mounted 2-3 inches which should allow you to remove rack and pinion and sway bar. There are two bolts on top of bottom assembly on passenger side that go to the hoses for the rack that have to be removed first before you remove rear bolts or you will break them.

My two cents worth.