Air Ride Suspension Sagging On One Side, Help!

oldscoots

Forum members,

I have a '95 LS 400 that has the height adjustable suspension. Just recently on one occasion I came out to the car after not driving it for some time and the right front fender was almost resting on the tire. I started the car, switched the console switch from Normal to High and that side of the car slowly corrected itself.

Didn't have the problem again until about 3 weeks later.

This time rear of the car was jacked up higher than the front. The High ride height light was flashing on the dash while I was driving (The car raised itself while I was driving, it was normal when I got in it for the initial ride that day).

When I was almost home, I felt the same right front fender rub on the tire as I turned. As soon as I parked the car, the right front fender had sagged, almost touching the fender. In trying to turn the Height adjustment switch to high it will not raise that side up this time.

I have read some of the previous posts on how to rectify this condition and I cannot find the Air Ride compressor On/Off switch in the trunk, I looked on both sides and only found a tool box that slides out of a compartment. No trap doors with switches behind them.

Can anyone with a '95 comment on how they fixed their car? Also anyone with experience in using the Strutmaster conversion kit to standard strut/springs setup?

My car is too nice to junk just because of the failed suspension. Anyone in Boston area have this problem satisfactorily serviced by a good shop?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sounds like your air bag actuators are acting up. If you'd like to retain the air suspension, I would get your actuators checked out before the air bags go. It is quite expensive to replace each air bag, especially at the stealer. I eventually went to conventional coil over strut for my 91. Rides somewhat stiff but it's fixed. Let me know how it turns out....

Sounds like your air bag actuators are acting up. If you'd like to retain the air suspension, I would get your actuators checked out before the air bags go. It is quite expensive to replace each air bag, especially at the stealer. I eventually went to conventional coil over strut for my 91. Rides somewhat stiff but it's fixed. Let me know how it turns out....

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember which kit you used on the conversion to regular struts and springs? How much for the install?

I was thinking it was one of the air struts that went bad. You think it is the actuator instead.

I was hoping to get more opinions/info but I guess that is not a popular topic on the forum.

Thanks again.

I went to Arnott Industries online (can't remember the URL) however, I was very displeased. Try Strutmasters.com and put in your make and model. I should have went with those. At Arnott, I paid about 750 for all 4 coil over strut/conventionals. I had my mechanic put them in for about 3 hours labor. He only charged 300, should have been 450. I was very unhappy with the ones I bought from Arnott as I thought my mechanic put the rears on the fronts and visa versa, however, he followed manufactures recommendations. I had to use clamps in the front to pull the car down and lifters in between the coils for the back to bring the back end up....I was so unhappy. There went my baby...

I do think it is the actuator(s)...better to have it diagnosed as I believe an actuator is quite less expensive than an air strut.

Let me know how things go....

Ciao!