Jack Points

What's a pantograph jack position?

(The jack is a pantograph.)

Those are the points where you put the standard jack that came with the car when you change a tire. These are strenghtend points for supporting the car. You'd put jack stands under these notched out points.

It's better and more stable to use a hydraulic floor jack to lift one end of the car ant then put jack stands under the points marked on the diagram. The emergency standard jack is not all that stable and only intended for changing a tire in a flat tire on the road situation.

On a side note the wheel change went smoothly (and back is killing me now). I downsized to a 16" tire/rim package for winter from tirerack.com

The rear is fine, but the front calipers clear the inside of the rim by only 1.0-1.5cm. The wheel turns freely though. Is this OK?

On a side note the wheel change went smoothly (and back is killing me now). I downsized to a 16" tire/rim package for winter from tirerack.com

The rear is fine, but the front calipers clear the inside of the rim by only 1.0-1.5cm. The wheel turns freely though. Is this OK?

What did you do about the TPMS system? I've considered getting a set of winter tires, but the extra cost of making the TPMS work ($450 sensors + ~$100 to get the Toyota dealer to enter the codes) makes the cost seem a bit ridiculous to me.

Are you doing without the TPMS sensors? Do you have a bunch of annoying beeps and warnings on the dash or is it a little more subtle?

I become a weenie every time it snows and leave my shiny, nicely waxed, AWD IS in the garage. We have snow tires on our AWD Sienna (TPMS sensors not needed in the 05), and we drive that instead. We have to go up and down a fairly steep hill - so I like having some extra traction for the snow. I was all set to get some snow tires and wheels for the IS until I realized how much it costs to deal with the TPMS system.

• 4 years later...