Good Years For Rx?

midapo

greetings!

We currently own a 2004 Honda CR-V and are sick of it. (Extremely loud road noise, very uncomfortable, etc). We would like to have another suv and we have a 96 Ls400 which we love. So we are looking at RX's and seem to be finding some pretty good deals.

Are there any years that I should avoid? Years that perhaps there were more problems than others, due to model or engine change or whatever. What should be my maximum on mileage? I know the LS400 runs forever, is it the same with the RX?

Thanks for the advice and help!

Avoid the 99 to 2002. Great cars, but the transmisson are very weak, Personally I would suggest a RX330 or an Accura MDX...

Thanks for the suggestion of the Accura Mdx, perhaps heresy on this board. I had not considered it.

When you say weak transmissions, do you mean just the 99-2002 or all of them?

Read this thread, it is old but long, I just want you to know MY 99 RX is on its third transmission and I am the original owner. It was serviced three times before the failure at 100k miles. I love the car, but just want to warn folks, and let them make their own decisions.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...opic=13162&

Fewer transmission failures are reported with front-wheel-drive as opposed to all-wheel-drive. My wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD had its transmission fail at 48,000 miles even after meticulous care. Inexcusable. Her current 2004 RX330 AWD is plugging away at about 84,000 miles with no evident transmission problems, but these RX transmissions are quirky and not at all smooth as you would expect them to be. My 1999 Dodge Ram pickup has a much better and smoother transmission than any RX we've ever owned or ridden in. Sad but true.

Also, change the transmission fluid at least every 30,000 miles. Some owners will say do it every 15,000 miles. Use Toyota Type IV fluid to protect yourself in the event that you do experience a transmission problem. I don't believe Type IV fluid is any better than any other transmission fluid on the market , but it will become a legal issue with Lexus/Toyota if you don't "stay with the fluid we designed for your vehicle".

Finally, never ever think that you can tow ANYTHING with an RX. Why risk an already-weak transmission design by making it chug along pulling something behind it?

Good luck to you....

Finally, never ever think that you can tow ANYTHING with an RX. Why risk an already-weak transmission design by making it chug along pulling something behind it?

Or, why buy a vehicle with a history of bad transmissions?

I didn't buy either our previous 2000 RX300 or our current 2004 RX330. My wife did, against my advice both times. Once her mind was made up, my only role was to negotiate the best possible purchase price. It's her car and her money. Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing the excessive maintenance on them over the years. Fortunately, the 2004 RX330 is a much better vehicle than the 2000 RX300 was, but keep in mind that the bar was set extremely low....

My posting history on this site consistently points out that the RX line is overpriced, underpowered, undersized, and way down the list of best all-around SUV choices. I wouldn't have one as my own personal daily driver if it was given to me....

I didn't buy either our previous 2000 RX300 or our current 2004 RX330. My wife did, against my advice both times. Once her mind was made up, my only role was to negotiate the best possible purchase price. It's her car and her money. Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing the excessive maintenance on them over the years. Fortunately, the 2004 RX330 is a much better vehicle than the 2000 RX300 was, but keep in mind that the bar was set extremely low....

My posting history on this site consistently points out that the RX line is overpriced, underpowered, undersized, and way down the list of best all-around SUV choices. I wouldn't have one as my own personal daily driver if it was given to me....

I wasn't being critical of your (or your wife's) decision to buy a RX, I was just coming to my own conclusion. Maybe I should look at Acura....

I wasn't being critical of your (or your wife's) decision to buy a RX, I was just coming to my own conclusion. Maybe I should look at Acura....

Just a note here, Honda has had the same issues, albeit different models. The Odessy was given an under powered transmissions also. They had a recall, and extended the powertrain warrentee. A friend of mine has gone thru 4 transmissions at 175k miles. The MDX has the clunking differential problems in past years also. So just be careful, and do your own research. Both Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus make great cars and trucks. But it's been a learning expereince for them also. The last couple of years models have been much better.

I respect your right to have your opinion. But I am curious though, what SUV's you do like? and why.

If you know my posting history here, you know that I favor the Jeep Grand Cherokee for many reasons. I'll list a few below:

1. We've had three of them between the 1994 and 2000 model years and all of them have been strong as tanks with very few problems and no real "design flaw" issues (unlike the RX transmission, rear main oil seal, sludge, exhaust manifold, or front strut mount bushing known flaws). The most expensive part I've ever had to replace in any of our Grand Cherokees, all driven more than 100,000 miles, was an alternator at about 125,000 miles in my wife's 1996 model.

2. They are far more durable, roomier, more powerful, smoother shifting, and far more comfortable from an interior standpoint than either of the RXs we've owned. I can drive a Grand Cherokee all day and into the night. I can drive an RX a maximum of two hours before I have to unfold myself from the cabin or else risk cramping up (I'm 6'7").

3. They are far easier to work on and replacement parts usually cost less and are obtainable from many more sources.

4. They are much less expensive from a cradle-to-grave cost-of-ownership perspective.

5. Jeep and Subaru have the best 4-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive systems on the market. The RX essentially has a pretend all-wheel-drive system. There is no comparison as to what a Grand Cherokee and an RX can do in the snow. Not important for you Floridians I know, but it is very important to us.

6. They demand less maintenance than either of our RXs have. No changing the transmission fluid every 15,000 or 30,000 miles in an attempt to protect a weak transmission design. I changed our Grand Cherokees' transmission fluids at 90,000 miles in each case even though the fluid in all three of them continued to be pristine at that mileage.

There are some members here who will reply to this post by ragging on Jeep simply because it is American-made or owned by Chrysler. That is their prerogative. But you know what? I've owned three Grand Cherokees and two RXs - I know the maintenance history of all of these vehicles because I did 90% of the non-warranty work myself. I kept all the records. I ran all of the cost-of-ownership numbers myself. My experience since 1994 clearly tells me that the Grand Cherokee is a much better SUV, for our purposes, than the RX is. I will continue to attempt to get my wife back in a Grand Cherokee in the years ahead, but even with all the struggles she went through with her 2000 RX300 AWD (by far the worst vehicle we've ever owned), she has stayed with an RX simply because it fits her perception of "image". A terrible reason to select ANY vehicle. But our thought processes are very different. I analyze cost-of-ownership and desire to maximize the utility factor. She thinks mostly about "how am I perceived". A shallow, foolish way to select your vehicle in my opinion. But hey, she spends her own money to buy what she wants to drive and as long as it is indeed her dime, she has the ultimate right to make the decision as long as she can easily afford to do so....

A respectable and valid answer. I've worked on everything. And your right about the all wheel drive systems with Jeep and Subaru, I would also include Audi, and Porsche to that list. But I think that Lexus along with Acura and a few others know that the RX and MDX and others will never see a real dirt road. The all wheel drive systems are more just improved traction in weather conditions, such as rain and snow. Not so much terrain conditions. And I think the RX just designed with a different philosophy. I think that there are basically 2 design ideas. A truck with car like abilities, and a car with truck like abilities. It sounds to me like you like the truck with some car like abilities better than the RX which is more a car with truck like abilities.

Although, I do think that some of your issues are due to the fact that your 6'7'' and not so much a deficiency in the RX design. American made vehicles have allways seemed to cater to the larger, taller person than most of the Japanese, and even European designs.

But to be clear, I understand your points. I have found it troubling about the past transmission issues. It seems they have since corrected it, but it does little for the vehicles that are already out there.

Well, I have a 2000, 2WD model with 128K miles on it. Engine and tranny is still running nicely. Only major work done is the typical timing belt replacement.

Hopefully it'll go to 200K with no hassle.

To answer the original question, stay away form 99-00 models, those are the ones with the vast majority of the tranny problems, the 01-03 and the 330/350 models don't suffer near the maladies of those first two years. Of course the first model years of a new design are always ones to avoid and this just drives that point home. Personally I don't care for the early MDX's they're boat-like and they drive like busses, the newer ones (07-09) are much more nimble and are very nice vehicles. If your want a big vehicle the Grand Cherokees are pretty decent as well. Early on they were pretty crappily built (from what some owners tell me) but quality has come good in recent years and I'd trust one today if I were in the market for a mid-large SUV.

IMHO the RX300/330/350 isn't in the same category as the MDX, or the Jeep GC. The RX is a small SUV, it really can only hold 4.5 people and even then not with luggage for all. If you have more than 1 , maybe 2 (small) kids forget it, its not a people mover. Nor is it a boat hauler, off-roader or construction site utilitarian, its just a quiet, comfortable way to get around. This is , of course, is well beyond some peoples comprehension of what a vehicle is all about so what you really need to do is ask yourself : What do I want this vehicle for? If you need a big V8 for hauling logs or driving up sand dunes perhaps you should look elsewhere, if you want a quiet, comfortable and quite reliable everyday vehicle try an 01-on RX.

PS Who calls their wives shallow and foolish in a public forum?? Reality check here! :o

I said that her REASONING behind this particular decision was shallow and foolish. There's a big difference. I call 'em as I see 'em. She does the same. We don't always agree, and that's human nature. My point apparently flew right over your head, pal....

I said that her REASONING behind this particular decision was shallow and foolish. There's a big difference. I call 'em as I see 'em. She does the same. We don't always agree, and that's human nature. My point apparently flew right over your head, pal....

Oh I understand your point, mired in hyperbole as it usually is, I just wasn't clear on why insulting your wife was necessary to make it. Nonetheless its a free country and you're free to talk about your wife as you wish. As you say, people don't always agree and we usually don't so there you go. Movin' on.

My statement is not an "insult", pal, it is merely an expressed opinion about the reasoning behind this particular subject involving someone I've known intimately for more than 30 years whom you've never even met. My wife knows that I sometimes perceive her reasoning as foolish. I in turn know that she sometimes perceives my reasoning as calculated and cold. We accept our differences, often celebrate them, and remain delighted to be very different personalities - it keeps life interesting....

Perhaps you fancy yourself as Dr. Phil Jr. but your attempts to shove your words into my mouth simply come across as yet another blunder on your part. My response above was to smooth1's direct question about my SUV preferences and why, which he found to be a reasonable and valid answer as he pointed out himself. Your peanut gallery PS comment added nothing to the mix. Perhaps there's a basement-filmed cable TV show out there that would pay to avail itself of your outstandingly acute personal relationship perceptions. Good luck finding it....

Perhaps there's a basement-filmed cable TV show out there that would pay to avail itself of your outstandingly acute personal relationship perceptions. Good luck finding it....

When I find it, I'll invite you on as my first guest, maybe we can have a "Jerry Springer " moment. My Neilsen numbers will go through the roof!

Seriously here, I have no doubt that you and your wife must have a great relationship, anyone who's together that long must get along just fine. Originally I felt your comments seemed insulting but if that's the way you guys do things then that's all your business, lets return this thread to its original programming.

• 1 month later...