How Stable Is The Gx470 At High Speeds?

ihsva

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a 2006 GX470 for my wife. I've been reading alot of reviews and forums, and one issue that bothered me is the stability of the truck at high speeds. Any truth to that? I read that above 65-70 MPH , that the truck is not very stable.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

Now we all know that we are going to obey the speed limit laws of our own states, correct? ;)

Running at about 70-75mph, it really depends. First of all, is your wife coming from a car or minivan, which both have a lower center of gravity? If so, at first it may feel unstable as an SUV really drives differently than a car or van. Secondly, if you take gusty winds as a factor (which I'm not sure if that's common in your area) then an SUV will feel really unstable to drive in gusty winds.

Now if your wife is coming from a different SUV, then the GX feels very stable in any scenario. It just takes a little getting used to the vehicle. Otherwise, since the GX is top heavy, it is "stable" even when running at about 70-75mph and even with gusty winds.

:)

65 to 70 MPH is ok with the GX if there is no cross wind, but it can drift a lot with a strong cross wind at that speed because of the GX's boxy design. The RX350 in comparision is much better SUV at high speed in the cross wind. And then there are performance SUV such as the X5 which the cross wind doesnt affect it at all.

I would say over all, with no wind, the GX feel pretty stable up to 75 MPG, after that it take a bit of attention.

We've owned a 2003 and 2005 GX 470. We live in Texas and drive back and forth to New Mexico 9 or 10 times a year. We've drive through very high winds and dust storms as we go through West Texas and New Mexico. The GX is very stable and holds the road without a problem. We've driven betwen 75 and 80 (on interstates with this speed limit) with no problem. We have a RX 350 AWD and notice very little difference between the two...both are stable on the road. Like any SUV, I'm sure a quick 90 degree turn could be a problem at high speed, but that's a problem with any vehicle and it should not happen. Also, we've driven on four wheel drive mountain roads in Colorado. It's very stable there too. Hope this helps. By the way, we will buy another one soon. We think it's a great SUV, but you pay the price for it. I just wish Lexus would go with the Michellin Cross Country tires (they are on our 2005) instead of the grocery store Dunlop AT20or Bridgestone HT tires.

• 2 months later...

Its funny what some people consider stable and what some people consider un-stable. It must have to do to what car they are comparing it to. If you compare the GX to a Humvie or a 1985 Chevy, then its very stable at high speed. If you compare the GX to a Porsche, then it is unstable at high speed.

Its funny what some people consider stable and what some people consider un-stable. It must have to do to what car they are comparing it to. If you compare the GX to a Humvie or a 1985 Chevy, then its very stable at high speed. If you compare the GX to a Porsche, then it is unstable at high speed.

True...everything is relative.

We've owned a 2003 and 2005 GX 470. We live in Texas and drive back and forth to New Mexico 9 or 10 times a year. We've drive through very high winds and dust storms as we go through West Texas and New Mexico. The GX is very stable and holds the road without a problem. We've driven betwen 75 and 80 (on interstates with this speed limit) with no problem. We have a RX 350 AWD and notice very little difference between the two...both are stable on the road. Like any SUV, I'm sure a quick 90 degree turn could be a problem at high speed, but that's a problem with any vehicle and it should not happen. Also, we've driven on four wheel drive mountain roads in Colorado. It's very stable there too. Hope this helps. By the way, we will buy another one soon. We think it's a great SUV, but you pay the price for it. I just wish Lexus would go with the Michellin Cross Country tires (they are on our 2005) instead of the grocery store Dunlop AT20or Bridgestone HT tires.

This is something too many buyers aren't aware of. You DO NOT have to accept the rubber that comes with a new car from the dealers lot. When you go in for your new GX/RX simply ask the dealer to exchange the stock rubber for whatever you want. They'll just put the stock tires into their inventory for later sale. Work it into the purchase price. Make it part of the deal. All dealers are capable of supplying you with any tire on the market. They may try talking you out of it. Don't accept the car unless you get EXACTLY what you want!!! You are the buyer after all, and as such you should be telling the dealer what you want to buy not the dealer telling you what you should be buying. ;)

• 2 months later...

I agree, at times, the GX acts as a big sail on the highway due to its shape. On windy days with its soft suspension, it takes more effort than it should to keep the GX in lane.

On the highway our GX catches the wind more than our GS, and the GS certainly feels more stable on winding roads. My wife loves to ride in the GX, but would rather drive the GS - she said she always feels like she is going to "tip over" in the GX. But, then again, she hates to drive at all. I've driven several other SUVs, and IMHO the GX is hands down the best riding and handling SUV in the $50K price range.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live in the midwest where we have 75mph interstate speed limits. I routinely cruise 80 mph in sometimes heavy crosswinds. You can feel the gusts at times, but it is nothing unmanageable. I'll put it this way. If I have to slow down because of high winds, so does everyone else out on the road.

Absolutely In fact, when running in straight line, we want a little bit understeer to make the car stable. When the car is subjected to side force, probably due to cross wind or the road's irregularities, understeer could resist the force and avoid the car to be steered automatically, therefore the driver need not to correct the steering frequently. the only option owuld be when entering corners with cross winds, you need to understeer to provide a bit stability.