Smart Key A Pain In The Winter!

Has anyone figured out how to start their car to warm it up but still be able to locke the doors?Also why would I be able to start my car,get out & let someone else drive away without me or my wife's smart key with them.This all seems to be way too easy for theft.Am I missing something here or what?Nothing seems to cover these issues in the manual unless I missed it. :(

Has anyone figured out how to start their car to warm it up but still be able to locke the doors?Also why would I be able to start my car,get out & let someone else drive away without me or my wife's smart key with them.This all seems to be way too easy for theft.Am I missing something here or what?Nothing seems to cover these issues in the manual unless I missed it. :(

Hows that different than leaving the car running with the keys in the ignition? Have you tried locking the door using the switch on the door itself instead of the remote?

I especially like the final sentence of the advice from "Click and Clack" (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) of National Public Radio's Car Talk program ( http://www.cartalk.com/ ):

"Unless it's below freezing, cars don't need to be warmed up at all. Driving them gently is the best warm up there is. If it's 25 degrees out, you might want to let it warm up for 30 seconds. If it's 10 degrees out, warm it up for a minute. If it's -10 degrees out, move somewhere warmer."

Even way down here in Kansas City, people let their cars idle in their driveways in the winter. I regard winter as "amateur car theft season" -- hundreds of unattended running cars are stolen out of driveways here every winter. Locked running cars sometimes get the passenger side rear window broken -- thieves seem to be smart enough to know how to stay at least a little warm while driving away.

If you have access to 110V electrical outlets where you park, a block heater from your Lexus dealer is only C$195 including installation. I don't have a block heater on my LS and block heaters are not sold by U.S. Lexus dealers, but I sure loved the one on the Mercedes I drove for 10 years -- wonderful to have instant heat on cold winter mornings. After I had the block heater installed, I started noticing outdoor electrical outlets everywhere. I suppose I was stealing electricity but I don't remember anyone ever complaining about my plugging in the block heater in parking garages and no one ever tampered with the cord. I don't know if it's still done but some cities in the Michigan Upper Peninsula used to have electrical outlets for plugging in block heaters on parking meters -- anything like that in Saskatchewan?

I've had the occasion where I've left my car with valet, without the key. Once the car is turned off, it can't be restarted. I had to give them to key so I could get my car back.

I imagine you could start the car and then lock it with the smart key, but I've never tried that option.

I have an '07.

I especially like the final sentence of the advice from "Click and Clack" (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) of National Public Radio's Car Talk program ( http://www.cartalk.com/ ):

"Unless it's below freezing, cars don't need to be warmed up at all. Driving them gently is the best warm up there is. If it's 25 degrees out, you might want to let it warm up for 30 seconds. If it's 10 degrees out, warm it up for a minute. If it's -10 degrees out, move somewhere warmer."

Even way down here in Kansas City, people let their cars idle in their driveways in the winter. I regard winter as "amateur car theft season" -- hundreds of unattended running cars are stolen out of driveways here every winter. Locked running cars sometimes get the passenger side rear window broken -- thieves seem to be smart enough to know how to stay at least a little warm while driving away.

If you have access to 110V electrical outlets where you park, a block heater from your Lexus dealer is only C$195 including installation. I don't have a block heater on my LS and block heaters are not sold by U.S. Lexus dealers, but I sure loved the one on the Mercedes I drove for 10 years -- wonderful to have instant heat on cold winter mornings. After I had the block heater installed, I started noticing outdoor electrical outlets everywhere. I suppose I was stealing electricity but I don't remember anyone ever complaining about my plugging in the block heater in parking garages and no one ever tampered with the cord. I don't know if it's still done but some cities in the Michigan Upper Peninsula used to have electrical outlets for plugging in block heaters on parking meters -- anything like that in Saskatchewan?

We all have block heaters here.They only help the car to start when its very cold.It still takes at least 10 minutes to warm up inside.I talked to my dealer & this is the way it is.I would have not bought this car if I had known this.IT SUCKS

I've had the occasion where I've left my car with valet, without the key. Once the car is turned off, it can't be restarted. I had to give them to key so I could get my car back.

I imagine you could start the car and then lock it with the smart key, but I've never tried that option.

I have an '07.

Nope can't be done.Pathetic as it is.

We all have block heaters here.They only help the car to start when its very cold.It still takes at least 10 minutes to warm up inside.I talked to my dealer & this is the way it is.I would have not bought this car if I had known this.IT SUCKS

Here's how to solve it:

Get BOTH keys. Once you start up the car, place one key in the ash tray or cupholder, or out of site. Take the other key with you out of the car. Once you close the door, lock it with the button on the second key fob (not the button on the door handle). The car will lock.

Here's how to solve it:

Get BOTH keys. Once you start up the car, place one key in the ash tray or cupholder, or out of site. Take the other key with you out of the car. Once you close the door, lock it with the button on the second key fob (not the button on the door handle). The car will lock.

I will try it & get back to you.Thanks.

Here's how to solve it:

But even if it locks, since the other key fob is within range, won't it unlock if someone touches the sensor on the door handle?

Here's how to solve it:

But even if it locks, since the other key fob is within range, won't it unlock if someone touches the sensor on the door handle?

Not if it's inside the car--the range is very short. I can't remember, but it may *require* you to unlock after that with the fob, and not with the door handle.

Here's how to solve it:

Nope.Doesn't work.

Here's how to solve it:

Nope.Doesn't work.

Guess it's only with the car off.

Time to get a garage.

Here's how to solve it:

Nope.Doesn't work.

Guess it's only with the car off.

Time to get a garage.

Just a stupid design that I'll have to live with.A MAJOR STEP BACKWORDS

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's my dilema. With my old car (Toyota Solara--no garage), I could go outside, start my car, crank up the heat, lock it with a spare key and run inside to do some last minute things before leaving for work. When I come out, the windshield is defrosted and its nice and cozy... I'm in a pretty safe area, so no worries of theft....yet.

Is it possible to do this with an IS-250? I'm thinking its pretty much impossible to leave it running with the heat, etc on...and locked! Right? There's no way I would leave it running UNLOCKED. I'm in a safe area, but not THAT safe! I have to run inside a condo building; up a flight of stairs to my unit, etc. Not really a good idea to leave it unlocked.

Any ideas, or am I doomed to have to scrape the windshield and just rely on my seat warmers (which work great btw)?